FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   Goal of 240 by 11/1/2010 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/110-goal-240-11-1-2010-a.html)

efduncan 01-10-2010 09:37 AM

Goal of 240 by 11/1/2010

Hey folks. I'm Ed and 49 years old. I have always been a big guy, I'm 6'5". My wife and I took a cruise on my 49Th birthday the first week of November 2009. When I returned I weighed in at 310 pounds. I have set a goal of 240x11/1/2010. I want to start my 50s being healthy and feeling better. As of today, I'm down to 294. I have been hitting the gym 3 - 6 times a week doing 45 minutes cardio and 45 minutes of weights, stretches and calisthenics.
I love to eat but my #1 sin is I LOVE a good cold beer, sometimes I LOVE 5 or 6 cold beers. I'm going do my best to keep the beer to a minimum and keep my food journaled.
I plan to keep this thread update through my goal date every few day.
I appreciate any support and please wish me luck.

lamafri 01-10-2010 10:30 AM

Good luck. Keep us posted.

rmnsuk 01-11-2010 07:16 AM

way to go!!

I am in a similar situation, though chocolate is my problem not drink. I look forward to following your progress.

baxtman 01-11-2010 09:05 AM

New commitment

Hey ed duncan! Proud of your commitment. As You know weight loss is hard work, but the bottom line is all it takes is commitment. nothing wrong with a good cold beer or two once in a while. there are even a few that are very low in cal and carbs. It's definitly not any worse for you than a soda once in a while. My name is mark. I am starting today on a commitment to loose 54.5 # by 5/10. I entered a "Biggest Loser challenge today at work and plan to blow away my competition. Its not that I think that I am so much better able to loose weight than they are. It's that I know how hard it is and most people will fail. But not you Ed, you are already on the right track. when did you start this endevor? It takes about 6 weeks to make a new habit a permanent change. I am now 53 trs old. At one time in my life I was in increadible shape, so I know it can be done. About 6 yrs ago I hurt my knee and stopped working out. It is hard to get back into it once your out of it. Kudos to you. I will be watching for your progress.

efduncan 01-11-2010 10:59 AM

Thanks for all the support guys. I hope we all have good luck,
Mark, I know you will do well too. My latest endeavor with buckling down was 11/10/09 at 310. The holidays were tough but managed not to gain in those weeks. I have lost a lot of weight before, 15 years ago, I was a running fool and got down to 205. I started having a lot of knee problems as well and quit running, Over the next few years my weight has been up and down, the highest was about 2 years ago, I weighed during the holidays and was over 325. Hope never to see that again.
Did good today, under 2000 calories(my goal every day) and good gym visit. Down side was I was stuck behind a desk the rest of the day.
Thanks and good luck to everyone.

farr1022 01-20-2010 12:41 AM

Good luck Ed. Keep us posted. My only true vice is an ice cold Sierra Nevada and I have sworn them off until I hit my target weight. When I started my program I put my favorite beer mug in the freezer and I end up seeing it every day. When I hit 200 I will take that glass out of the fridge and crack an SN.

jtownsend1210 01-21-2010 10:38 AM

Good luck efduncan- I know what you mean about the beer (and chocolate and pizza and doritos ect...) Keep your eye on the prize....

efduncan 01-22-2010 10:47 AM

Thanks for the support guys. I hit 285 today, that's the 25 pound mark. 45 more to go. I'm still hitting the gym more days than not and trying to stay under 2000 calories a day.
Good luck to everyone.

richardiv87 01-29-2010 12:49 PM

I'll beat you there! Same date as my goal. Goal is a stretch at 220 (started at 334 at the end of November). I have a couple of years on you being 35, but the last time I was as low as 205 I think I was 15. Wife has signed me up for a gym, so I've recently been starting that, and am at about 298 right now. Goal is 2,200 calories but I havent been close to reaching that for the past week or so. I have a similar problem with the desk job AND I travel too so restaurant food is a big challenge. Good luck and keep us informed!

efduncan 01-30-2010 12:50 AM

Hey Richard,
We both have a long way to go but as long as we keep going the right direction is all that is important. I'm keeping a food journal on Fit day of all my food and it helps me. I try to post after every meal if I'm around a computer. My goal is about 2000 calories a day. I stay close during the week but get a good bit over on the weekends. Over the past two months the program says I average about 2300 per day and burn about 4000. I have no idea if this is true but I have dropped 27 pounds since November 7. The weight loss is slower now, just 2 pounds this week but like I said, thats the right direction. I hope you have good luck and keep me posted too.

rmnsuk 01-31-2010 04:16 AM

Good luck. Chocolate and cheese are my downfall, and I hate cardio. But sticking to 2000 calories seems to work well for now. I'll have to reduce it a bit once I get nearer goal, but thats a long way off. Managed another 2 pounds this week :)

Just found a fantastic curry recipe that is very easy and not OTT in calories. We have been cooking it up all day ! (2nd recipe on the sheet)
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mumsknowb..._harjinder.pdf

jameswalton 01-31-2010 05:58 AM

Good luck Ed

Ed I am 48 years old and we just had a new gym open in town so I joined and got a trainer to help me out. Just after the first session I found out just how bad of shape I am in. I am 6.0ft and 262lbs, that was last week I now weigh in at 258lbs. My down fall is all foods I love to eat junk, the trainer made me a new menu to go by well at first I thought I was going to die because it was not pizza and junk food but now it is all I need to eat and every thing seems to be working out, so just hang in there and we both as well as many others can do this.

efduncan 02-01-2010 11:00 AM

Thanks guys. Junk food and chocolate is hard to say no to. I think the salty snacks gets to me more than the sweet. I love nuts, chips and crackers. I'm sure a personal trainer is a big advantage. I would love to have one but my wife is wanting the kitchen remodeled, better save the money for now.
Good luck to both of you guys and keep me posted on your progress.

richardiv87 02-21-2010 02:19 AM

Hey guys, hows it going? Superbowl was a nightmare for me...far too much good stuff to pass by, but I paid for it dearly for the 2 days after...both on the scale and in the way I felt. Been good since then, but this week is the first time I moved on the scale significantly for a month. Was getting tough, but got through it and I seem to be moving in the right direction again. Down 16 lbs since the first week in January and after this week, 8lbs in the last 4 weeks, so must be doing something right. Just having trouble getting my heart rate up on the treadmill - I've been told by the trainer at the gym that I should not run (bad knee). Any ideas?

efduncan 02-22-2010 07:16 AM

Hey Richard, your doing great and hope we both stay at it. If the treadmill inclines, that may help get your heart rate up, I can put it on 6-8% incline and about 4 MPH and my rate hits around 130. Not holding on the handles and the arms swing helps a great deal too. I had knee surgery about 17 years ago and I don't run either. I try to mix it up and do the treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, rowing machine and stepper. I'm now down 35 pounds since 11/2009 and have found out I have to keep raising the resistance on the cardio and weights. Guess that is what we all are shooting for, being more fit.
Keep us posted on the progress and good luck,
Ed

farr1022 03-17-2010 10:43 PM

Ed, How is it going?

efduncan 03-18-2010 11:41 AM

Hey Farr, It's going good. I've been hitting the gym hard and doing good on diet most days. I still have to have a couple of cold beers on weekends. I have tried the Bud Select 55 calorie beers, not too bad. I'm at 265, down 45 since November 2009. Still coming to fitday every day to post my food and workouts. I feel great and strong. Looks like your doing great and I think we will reach our goals early. 34 pounds in 3 months is great! So what is your secret of dropping so much so quick?
Ed

sbuffer 03-19-2010 08:25 AM

Good job guys!

I too started at 310, but on 7 Dec 2009, so you have a week or 3 on me. Weighed in today at 272, shooting for 220 by 01 Nov 2010, but would be happy at 240. I'm 6'2", and never have been petit.
During the week I am pretty serious about eating and excersize (3 days @ gym & 3 days with 3 mile walk) but on weekends... Lets just say that I know Guinness Draught is "only" 125 calories/bottle. :) When I look at the graph for my weight, I can easily pick out the weekends!

efduncan 03-20-2010 12:56 AM

Sbuffer, we are in the same boat with weight, goal and weekend sins. Keep us posted on your progress. We will make our goals by November and still have a couple cold ones on the way.
Ed

farr1022 03-20-2010 10:54 AM

Hi Guys, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I too have a profound love for beer. This has been the most challenging part of my weight loss is to curb the beer. I can count the number of beers I have since my weight loss program on one hand. They all have been Guinness though! Love the stuff! When I do drink these days it usually is two glasses of wine over dinner, or Vodka and Club Soda when I am out with the boys. When I hit my goal weight I fully intend on bellying up to my local brew pub and getting stewed!

I plateaued for a two week period and I almost lost the desire to keep going. Not one pound lost in two weeks and I was pissed! I started doing some circuit training along with my cardio and the pounds started coming off in chunks. I do them at home with a couple of products I bought off of infomercials. Actually they are knock offs of infomercial products but man they are effective.

I also started taking a "fat burner" before every workout. Does the stuff burn fat? Nope... But what it does do is give you a smooth blast of energy that allows me to do cardio seemingly forever. It actually is good stuff.

Keep it up guys and lets be thin again!!

farr1022 03-20-2010 11:02 AM

One more thing I forgot to mention. I have been told by various sources that when you are losing weight it is important to eat lots of protein to avoid losing muscle. The formula I follow is 1g of protein for every pound of body weight. If you use the Casein protein it digest more slowly and makes you feel fuller longer. Whey protein, while good after workouts, gets processed very quickly.

farr1022 03-20-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by sbuffer (Post 6358)
Good job guys!

I too started at 310, but on 7 Dec 2009, so you have a week or 3 on me. Weighed in today at 272, shooting for 220 by 01 Nov 2010, but would be happy at 240. I'm 6'2", and never have been petit.
During the week I am pretty serious about eating and excersize (3 days @ gym & 3 days with 3 mile walk) but on weekends... Lets just say that I know Guinness Draught is "only" 125 calories/bottle. :) When I look at the graph for my weight, I can easily pick out the weekends!

When you are at the gym what types of workouts do you do?

efduncan 03-22-2010 11:17 AM

Farr, Your doing great, whatever you're doing must be working great. You're stronger than me on the beer, I had 6-7 Saturday night, got back on track Sunday. I do not have a set schedule for the gym. For the most part, I do 45 minutes cardio (I try to use something different each time, treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical and steper) about 5 days a week and on the same days I do 30-45 minutes weights. For March I have been doing the circuit (lower weight/more reps/very little rest between sets) weight thing and will likely do heavier lifting next month. Then try to change a little something the next. I think the main thing I have to do is stay at it with my food and exercise journal and it keeps me in line most days.
Lets keep at it and I think we will both reach our goals early. Keep me posted.
Ed

farr1022 04-01-2010 10:15 PM

Ed- I had a pretty good week and broke through the 220 barrier. How are you doing?

richardiv87 04-02-2010 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by farr1022 (Post 7404)
Ed- I had a pretty good week and broke through the 220 barrier. How are you doing?

Congrats! I'm trying to get through the 280 barrier...been very slow over the past 10 days or so (ok, so my daughters birthday was in there and a lack of doing anything due to work commitments and pizza doesnt help). Did manage to have gone through the 50lbs lost barrier earlier this week though - since November 2009!! So looking forward to getting back in the gym this weekend.

farr1022 04-02-2010 03:56 AM

Richard, 50lbs is awesome! What an accomplishment.

sbuffer 04-02-2010 06:42 AM

All y'all are doing great! I managed to gain 3lbs over last weekend, lost it this week, so am flat Friday-Friday, at 269. Got the Mother-n-law coming to town tomorrow for a week, so may not get as much done as I had hoped. Will pbly take her to see the Cherry Blossoms in DC, so will get plenty of exercise pushing her in her wc that day!

efduncan 04-02-2010 12:06 PM

Farr, 41 pounds in 3 months is amazing.
Richard, 50 pounds is a great hurdle to cross.
Buffer, I gain 2-3 pounds every weekend but manage to drop it during the week plus a couple extra. I can't help it, I have fun on the weekends but try to keep my mind right and get a work out in.
Bottom line is all of us are doing great, we are being accountable for our actions and getting the results we need. I know I can tell a major difference in my feet and legs.
I'm at 262 today. 48 pounds less than when I started buckling down in November 2009 and 63 less than a couple years ago at my most disappointing weight.
For me I keep believing the same, the food and fitness journal keeps me accountable and on track. Let's keep it going and all reach our goals. Keep me posted guys, we're doing great!!!
Ed

farr1022 04-02-2010 10:52 PM

I too will gain 2-3 pounds over each weekend. I have found that it is not fat but water weight. Last night for example I ate 3 pieces of pizza while out with my wife and blew up like a balloon over night. Weighed in today three pounds more than yesterday. Nothing a few trips to the bathroom won't cure! :)

sbuffer 04-05-2010 07:39 AM

I find that my weight gain "peaks" on Tuesdays, after a good weekend of food and beverage. Monday's I am usually at or a pound over where I was on Friday, but Tuesday I show up 2-4 lbs heavier. I also attribute it to water, as I tend to get a tad dehydrated on weekends :) I was 269 on Friday, and 269 this morn. We'll see what tomorrow brings...
Someone asked about my weight lifting; nothing serious. I usually hit pecks and back, and through those I also get my arm workouts done. I am by no means in well enough shape to spend 2 hrs there hitting all the right spots. I have upped my walking regimen to 6 days, MWF at 3 miles plus the gym, and Tues/Thurs/Sat I do 4.2 miles. Some days I do more, like when my wife wants to go with. Today was 4.5 miles.

richardiv87 04-07-2010 05:18 AM

Wow, good for you doing that walking! Wish I could be that dedicated. Still, probably a week of traveling for work next week means a week of dry salads and a gym a few feet from where I'm sleeping (with not a whole lot to do in the evenings but watch baseball). Should be good for a few pounds I would think!

piper54 04-08-2010 06:19 AM

Hey Ed
Keep on trying. I just started yesterday on Atkins Diet, I quit smoking in January and that was hard enough, now I gained 15 pounds more. I am at 250 lbs and at 5'9" thats a lot, BMI says I am obesse. But I sure love a salty chip or two or bag.

richardiv87 04-08-2010 07:47 AM

Good luck with the Atkins diet. I did that a few years ago and lost a good amount of weight in quick time too (about 30lbs in 3 months with little effort). Headaches for the first 4 days due to no carbs, but after that it was fine. Only issue was that when I stopped I put on weight - fast! Now doing the "eat less do more" diet. See if that turns into a lifestyle instead.

farr1022 04-08-2010 08:41 AM

I too the did Atkins a few years back. I got to be rail thin but when I went off of the diet I gained an immense amount of weight. Be careful as it is a lifestyle that is hard to sustain! Good Luck with it though.

efduncan 04-08-2010 10:58 AM

Hey guys, your all doing great!! I seem stuck in the 260s for a few weeks, I know I need to do better and I'm going to. I tried that Atkins a few years ago too, YOU WILL DROP WEIGHT! but I agree, it may be great for a few week jump start but I'm not sure I could live with it over a month or two. It kind of made me sluggish and interrupted my morning routine that should be natural after my 2ND cup of coffee...I have thought about trying it again but as long as I'm dropping just a little, will continue just watching what I eat and keeping up with the diet and journal and the gym. Hope I can get over this plateau soon.
You guy stay strong and keep striving to make our bodies strong and healthy. We're getting there.
Ed

richardiv87 04-10-2010 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by efduncan (Post 7968)
Hey guys, your all doing great!! I seem stuck in the 260s for a few weeks, I know I need to do better and I'm going to. I tried that Atkins a few years ago too, YOU WILL DROP WEIGHT! but I agree, it may be great for a few week jump start but I'm not sure I could live with it over a month or two. It kind of made me sluggish and interrupted my morning routine that should be natural after my 2ND cup of coffee...I have thought about trying it again but as long as I'm dropping just a little, will continue just watching what I eat and keeping up with the diet and journal and the gym. Hope I can get over this plateau soon.
You guy stay strong and keep striving to make our bodies strong and healthy. We're getting there.
Ed

I was stuck for a while recently and varied my calorie intake for a few days (essentially gave my body about a 3 day mini-vacation). Went from about 1,500-1,600 per day to 2,100-2,500 per day. Ate healthily though, so wasn't a total write-off. I ended up losing 5 pounds this week (and broke through that pesky 280 barrier), so I took this to be a plateau-breaker. Whether it was coincidence or actually working, I'm not sure, but I'll look at the cup being half full and take as boosting my metabolism. Lets hope it continues to work.

Keep going guys, we'll be at our goals in no-time!!

efduncan 04-12-2010 11:02 AM

Hope you're right Richard. I think I may take too many of those mini vacations! Hope to get over the hurdle soon. The scales still going the right direction, just slow and I'm working out hard. I have let some friends talk me into a 5K run this Sunday (If you can classify what I do as running, more like a very slow jog). I did the same race and course a couple times 15-17 years ago and one time posted just over 24 minutes. I was about 210-220 then and a much younger man. I have been slowly jogging a little more, if I can just stay under 45 minutes I will be happy. Sure I will have to walk some, they have some killer hills on the course.
You guys stay with it and keep us posted on your progress.

efduncan 04-24-2010 10:35 AM

I made it through my 5K, I have lost a couple steps over the last 15-16 years. I posted 36:24. As much as I would like to do a 10 Minuit mile, I was happy just to complete the run. Lots of good folks running for the local animal shelter, was fun. I will likely keep running (if you can call it that) some, would like to do the 10 minute mile by my 50th birthday. I have been on a "Stay-cation" (week off work staying home) this week and have maintained, not gained so I'm happy with that as well.
4/24/2010- 260 pounds, need to buckle down and get another 20 off. Hope everyone is doing weel and staying focused on goals.
Ed

waynegretzky 04-25-2010 07:41 AM

Congrats on the run Ed, i plan to start something myself soon. Don't know where to begin though!

efduncan 04-25-2010 10:37 AM

Hey Wayne. You just need to start, we all know what to do, just have to start it and stay with it. Let me know how it goes and good luck.