I'm enjoying this, yet it's kinda strange >

I'm enjoying this, yet it's kinda strange

Community
Notices

I'm enjoying this, yet it's kinda strange

Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 AM
FitDay Member

Post I'm enjoying this, yet it's kinda strange

I've really been enjoying learning about nutrition and have already learned a ton from FitDay and the forum. I've never tried to lose weight like this before, i.e. the RIGHT WAY. In the past I've just exercised a lot but continued eating all the wrong things, yet as luck would have it the extra 10-15 pounds would come off.

But this time it was worse. I was at least 35 pounds (estimated) over my healthy BMI when this round of dieting/exercising started. I say "estimate" because I was too scared to step on the scale, but without a doubt the weight was close to 190. At 5'6", that's not good.

I am thoroughly enjoying FitDay and will continue with my "lifestyle change" for healthy weight management, forever. No longer will cookies, ice cream, chocolate, and heavy beers be the typical choices. Just thinking about it makes me sick. Well, maybe not so much the beer

That said, I can't get out of my mind how strange it is to achieve a healthy diet. Here it is I'm using a computer program for help, and without it, I doubt this success would be achieved. The foods and beverages that our society (in the USA) places emphasis on freaks me out. I saw a commercial last night for Cheese Doodles and just shook my head. If people only knew. But it's more than that. Somehow it's hard for me to fathom that the human body just can't eat what the person wants, and still not gain and gain. For the body, there's only one way to eat, and that is the healthy way. Otherwise the penalty will be overweight, sooner or later. Somehow I have a hard time understanding that the body is not more forgiving in this regard.

So here I am, planning my meals, eating healthy, exercising, and doing a balancing act of sodium-potassium ratios, fiber intake, fat-carb-protein ratios, and while I'm really into this monitoring (challenges are good) I'm constantly amazed at how complex a proper diet is in our modern world. There are just so many "wrong" choices. It seems that 90% of foods and beverages are "wrong choices" if one is going to make a steady diet of them.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my ramble. I'd like to wrap this up with the most revolutionary thought that I've read recently as it relates to a good diet. It goes something like this...

"Don't always think of food as a source of enjoyment, but think of it primarily as a fuel source."
Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I appreciate your feedback and support but I moved this from that section to here b/c Feedback and Support is used for site issues, I know... it's confusing.

But anyway, this sounds like a success story. You had an epiphany and it sounds like it's changing your life. Congrats!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Mike! LOL. After I posted this, I tried to delete it (I have a copy) but I wasn't able to. I was then going to post this in a different area. Then I thought "I could just PM Mike and ask him to move it". You beat me to it.

Thanks. You're right, I think this fits into the category of "epiphany".
Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

No problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
FitDay Member

GOOD STUFF!
Reminds me of a guy that I saw in the grocery store the other night with gym clothes on, there were lots there all with gym clothes, including me.

Well, here is this guy, had to be close to 30% body fat, gym clothes, and the first thing that he threw in this little rolling cart think was two huge poacks of Oreo cookies.

Vito Vino, I found out about this site froma bodybuilding site, and I love it!!

I am trying to get a friend into counting too, but he hasn't gotten that far yet.

I had this stuff in a note book before, and I was doing math all day.

Fitday makes it sooo easy.

I'm jacked up and I aint goin back!