Notices

The most frustrating thing about dieting is...

Old 07-03-2010, 02:16 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy The most frustrating thing about dieting is...

...the need for instant gratification. Those of us who struggle with pounds are not patient about the number on the scale, well, at least I'm not. Sometimes it seems I have traded one desire for a "fix" for another. For many years my need for that bowl (or quart) of ice cream was greater than my need for skinny jeans. I turned my life around, reinvented myself to a great extent, and lost 150 pounds, half my body weight. I maintained with a up and down of around 15 pounds for 3 years but this past year I had a condition that required me to take steroids on a long term (6 month) basis. I gained 30 pounds and could not stop the eating, finally not even stepping on the scale. Well two weeks ago I got my courage up early one morning and pushed the button, waited for zero to appear and then put one foot and then the other carefully on the dreaded machine. When I let go of the wall the number 205 appeared. I really did not know it was that bad but I had to act immediately and I did.

In the two weeks I have gone back on a modified version of fat flush (my diet of choice) and in that time i have lost 10 pounds. Each morning I step on the scales eagerly, anticipating the number dropping like a rock. After all I am running 4 miles a day, have an active lifestyle, and am eating no more than 1000 cal. Here's what drives me crazy. For the last two days I have actually gained a half pound each day. As a seasoned dieter there is nothing you could tell me I haven't told myself (fluid retention, muscle buildup, eating too little, blah, blah, blah...). It makes no difference because I am addicted to instant gratification either in the form of ice cream or a drop of numbers on the scales. I will stay strong and ignore the sweets I crave but wish there was a way to change this basic part of my personality. It's really funny because most people tell me what a patient person I am. I do training and quality monitoring for my company and coach people who have trouble. Why can't I be as patient with myself as I am with others?

Tell me your greatest frustration or offer advice to me on how you handle this (remember I am free to ignore it so hit me with your best shot).
Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

You sound like you are educated enough to have already covered the logical aspects of why you gained a couple pounds. You obviously didn't eat an extra 3500 calories for the weight gain if you are only consuming 1000 calories per day.

My only suggestion is that you look at your Protien/Carb/Fat (PFC) percentages. There was another member on Fitday recently (sorry I don't recall her name) that had a similar problem. She had success by increasing her protein intake percentage. You might look back through some of the threads to see if you can find the posts.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

I do understand your frustration I am in the same situation, I lost 130 pounds through surgery and after maintaining for two years started to slowly regain 30 pounds, all I want to do is loose that same 30 pounds again and so far nothing has helped, I walk my dog for 30 minutes before going to work, go to Curves during my lunch hour, write down everything I eat to assure I am not going over my calories. In your case you may not be eating enough, you may need to increase your protein and your good carbs like veggies. That is what I am starting to do, I am carb sensitive so I have to eliminate as much as I can, but it is not easy.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

I use fitday to record everything I eat, but I've also made a little book using Excel to keep in my purse, so I can record when I'm away from the computer. Anyway the last time I printed off pages I added boxes for poo. Seriously, if I don't go, I weigh more. And I'm finding that there is a delicate balance between what I eat, how much water I manage to drink and whether or not I can poo. I don't mean to over share here, but are you regular and have you gone lately? With the heat we've been having lately I've had to increase my water intake by about 16 ounces just to keep hydrated.

I might be the poster that rpmcduff mentioned, the one that had to increase her protein to move that dial. I've found that calories aren't my biggest problem, high carbs and low protein are probably a bigger culprits in my battle against the bulge. I'm always on the lookout for high protein, low fat, low cal foods, especially snacks, so I can get my proteins in throughout the day rather than at just dinner. I usually eat tuna, protein powder, rf cheese, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, nuts, deviled eggs and protein bars. I try very hard to keep my pie chart at 40-40-20. I also do an hour/day of cardio, usually the elliptical, running or sometimes dance/aerobics, and I lift 2X/week. Maybe you need to mix the workouts up a bit and take the dog for a run or a swim or maybe you should use him as a free weight and bench press him. I used to have a 5 pound cat that was great for bicep curls.

But if ice cream is also a factor, let me share this yummy little recipe I just made in the blender:

8 oz frozen strawberries
8 oz frozen blueberries
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 cup of milk
1-2 TBLs sugar, or 4 packs of sweetener

blend, divide into 4, 1-cup containers and freeze. Okay admittedly I ate two of them before they got into the freezer, but even that little binge was only 260 calories, 27-30 grams of protein (depending on the brand of protein powder), 0 grams of fat, and only the carbs in the berries and sweetener. I also like to make them into smoothie pops. I made fudgesicles the other day with milk and chocolate protein powder, very yummy and loaded with protein.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-07-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thank you

I wasn't sure anyone was out there! While I'm not happy that knowing you all share my frustration, I suppose misery does enjoy the company. You all offered good advice, well except for the ice cream recipe, because ice cream and I have irreconcilable differences; I simply cannot have it even if it was no calorie. It seems it is my Achilles heel and my mouth refuses to acknowledge the difference between real and low calorie once I'm on that slippery slope. It does sound like a good combo and I occasionally have a whey powder protein shake instead of breakfast, but I make it with unsweetened cranberry juice, water, flax oil and unsweetened frozen fruit.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with fat flush but it is a very high protein, very low carb diet. It includes fat in the form of flax seed oil and egg yolks which is fine for me, fish or chicken, salads, low carb veg and two fruits a day. I cannot have any form of grains and stay on track. One of the reasons I started dieting initially was because my blood sugar was up. Since I am the only person in my family without diabetes, I was determined not to succumb to the condition.

Good news at this point, I have lost back few that came back plus one more. Not nearly as fast as I hoped, but I know it will happen. I just keep kicking myself for letting the number climb up again. I guess I had not completely vanished the old demons that made me turn to food for comfort. I think for me that is always the bottom line, letting what is eating me cause me to eat. None of us can make all stress or pain vanish from our lives, but I think we can find ways to deal with it. Seems like I was once prone to manufacturing the stress as well, something I have quit entirely.

I am going to end this like I began it with a thank you. I cannot tell you how much it means to me hear a response and know that I am not the only one in this lifeboat.

BTW I tried to attach my "after" pic. I don't know if it will inspire anyone else but it does me. I am currently 40 pounds heavier than the pic, but as God is my witness I'm going to be back in those jeans by Christmas or sooner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PB250059_2.JPG (39.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 07-08-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

I am right there with you!!! While my situation is a little different. I don't have as much wieght to lose but I also am an "instant grat." Junkie. When I quit smoking 8 years ago, I gained approx a pound for every year I smoked. 28 years = 30 lbs! Since I'm also heading into that "glorious" time we all know as menopause, there seem to be more factors against me.
I lost 13 lbs in my first month and although my cal intake is less than 900 and I am very active I too have gained 3 lbs in the last 4 days. Huh? Very frustrating.
Please tell me about the diet you prefer, Fat Flush? Never heard of it. Maybe changinging things up will help. Thanks.

And had I read alittle further I would have seen your latest post! Thanks for sharing

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-08-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: read more
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 AM
FitDay Member

You will get back into those Jeans, just keep up what you are doing, but do not cut down anymore calories, you need to remember your body will think you are starving it and it will retain everything it can and even could cause you to gain, you may want to check into the Curves diet, or read up on it.
I am back on the diet and am starting to loose, in phase one you consume 1200 cal per day for the first 7 days. Then you move to phase 2 at 1500 cal.
They do explain how your metabolism will slow to nothing if you starve yourself
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

1200 calories is not a losing diet for me and regardless of the things they say, and believe me I know them all, around 800 to 1000 is all I can have. My key has always been exercise. I normally spend at least an hour at the gym each day and do some yoga tapes and other fitness things at home. I'm not into the classes so much as I feel out of step with the young ones in the class and am too fit for the classes of people my age. I'm actually down 15 pounds as of today but i still contend that the calories in/out just does not apply in my case.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

Menopause is a distant memory for me. I am told I look young for my age but I'm turning 65 in November. I work and play in a younger woman's world, so no one ever guesses. The fat flush diet is the only one that has ever really worked and trust me I've tried them all. I was having a day when I posted but it really did help so much to talk it out. I'm down 15 pounds now but I've had my 5 month old grandson for several days and he has kept me running. I have a job where I can work from home so I am doing so while my daughter's regular babysitter is on vacation.

My husband blamed the stopping smoking for gaining but his answer was not a good one. After 10 years smoke free he got diabetes, so he started smoking again to lose weight. I guess things could always be worse, huh?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

You got that right!! I couldn't go back to smoking if I wanted to. Makes me nauseous these days just to think about it.
I was happy to get on the scale this morning and be back at 133. I started at 145 and realized after keeping track for 3 weeks on FD that even tho I was staying between 500 and 900 cal per day that they were mostly made up of carbs. Soooo I changed that as of yesterday. 900 cal and 12% carbs and low and behold the scale is down. My body has always prefered a low carb diet. I just fail to listen!
I'm trying to find a guided meditation class nearby. East Mesa Az area if anyone has any suggestions.