Community
Notices

Valentine's Day!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Thanks. I love your felt playhouse idea! You sound a lot like me 20 years ago. Although we now have everything we could ever want or need, my husband will tell you that the best gift I ever gave him was an extra long homemade scarf (...he's 6'4") and my sons favorite is a valentine I made for him when he was learning how to read. It consisted of a 10" red, construction paper heart for each letter of the alphabet and written inside was why I loved him using that letter. ...(and his cookies, of course!) I didn't tell him until he was grown that that was all I could afford then. After I told him, he went to his closet and pulled out the Valentine... 18 years later! I think he still has it.

As for my 17 year old daughter, she'd say her best gift was a new Ford Focus I bought her last summer for college, but I digress.....

quinn
Aw =) I like everyones idea about homemade gifts! I guess I should start with the basics and buy things in order to make things since I have nothing at the moment to be made.

Last Christmas I made pictures on Photoshop for everyone in my family, and picked a bible verse that I felt best represented them, the only thing I bought was the picture frame =) and everyone loved them.. this year I'm thinking something to do with puzzle pieces and glue!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. I love your felt playhouse idea! You sound a lot like me 20 years ago. Although we now have everything we could ever want or need, my husband will tell you that the best gift I ever gave him was an extra long homemade scarf (...he's 6'4") and my sons favorite is a valentine I made for him when he was learning how to read. It consisted of a 10" red, construction paper heart for each letter of the alphabet and written inside was why I loved him using that letter. ...(and his cookies, of course!) I didn't tell him until he was grown that that was all I could afford then. After I told him, he went to his closet and pulled out the Valentine... 18 years later! I think he still has it.

As for my 17 year old daughter, she'd say her best gift was a new Ford Focus I bought her last summer for college, but I digress.....

quinn
I used to say that the best gift my dad ever got me was - road service!!! That was back in the day when I drove a beater car on campus. I had to call them so often the tow truck driver thought we were dating.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah I remember my parents made us a dollhouse when I was 5 or 6. I don't remember any of my other presents before the age of 8, but I loved that dollhouse! My dad worked in construction, so he saved all of the extra wood left over and put it together and then they got wallpaper and carpet samples and put them in. My mom painted everything and sewed a bunch of curtains, etc. It probably only cost them $20.00 to make, but it was my favorite!

Haha Quinn, nothing beats a car, right?? I might have to steal more of your ideas, the valentine idea was really sweet.

Almeeker, I only laugh because it sounds like something I would do. And my husband would walk in and roll his eyes "again??"

Cassie, did your husband like the "I love you because" thing? I liked your idea of putting them all in a box

Jhowar, it sounds like you are already pretty good at the homemade thing! What are you doing with puzzle pieces and glue?? I've been trying to think of something for awhile now and I still don't have any ideas haha
Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Twinnermommy

Jhowar, it sounds like you are already pretty good at the homemade thing! What are you doing with puzzle pieces and glue?? I've been trying to think of something for awhile now and I still don't have any ideas haha
Well when I have the right equipment I can make things happen lol I'm not sure yet about the puzzle pieces.. maybe I'll get mini puzzles and put them together in a border or something.. or buy a cheapo one and flip them around and add my own color and pazazz! lol
Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
FitDay Member

You could take your favorite photo and have it made into a puzzle to put together where you have your photos processed... that's kind of cute for kids.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

You could take your favorite photo and have it made into a puzzle to put together where you have your photos processed... that's kind of cute for kids.
Aha! That's a good idea, not sure my Grandparents are puzzle-put-together-ers but they like card games so why not? =) Thank you! Now just to find the perfect pictures!

I'm taking Christmas 2011 on already! lol
Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you so much, Quinn, for the fortune cookie idea! I did them and the boys were duly impressed. They were a lot of fun to do (after the first pan of "experimetal" cookies!

And it's kinda hard to impress a 14-year old !
Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

You're very welcome! Once you learn the method, they are pretty easy. I'm glad your boys enjoyed them. I made several batches, myself, yesterday. I just had to be careful not to mix up the fortunes for my daughter with those of my husband!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, that would have been quite a mix-up here, too...I color-coded the paper!

My only trouble was getting them crispy. They are for the most part, but the foldy part on a couple was not. After wrinkles in the parchment paper caused the first ones to split while still baking, I tried to put a little more batter on, but that wasn't the solution, either. I guess it comes down to experience. I'll definitely do them again!

Hope you all enjoyed your Valentine's Day and that you did NOT spend too much of it on college applications!
Old 11-05-2023, 06:42 PM
FitDay Member

The strangest day for me lol. Valentine's Day certainly brings out creative gift ideas, like your exciting plan with the BB gun! It's always fun to see the joy in surprising someone special. For those who might be seeking a partner to share such occasions with, I've noticed that OurTime customer service is often mentioned for its role in helping people connect. Even with busy schedules like yours, it's wonderful to find time to make special moments and memories. Enjoy the day and the excitement it brings!

Last edited by leowhite; 11-07-2023 at 06:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.