Notices

On Day Two: 27, Female, Determined

Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM
FitDay Member

Smile On Day Two: 27, Female, Determined

Hi,

You can call me Castor. I'm 27, going on 28 (which I experience secret anxiety about, even though I tell everyone that I'm thrilled to be getting older). I've never been a thin girl, and I've been dieting and exercising on and off since I was 9. When I joined the Navy in 2007, I dropped a great deal of weight in just the two months of boot camp. I was a size 12 for the first time since middle school, bordering on a size 11, and discovered for the first time how tiny my waist is naturally. (I generally have an average chest, tiny waist, and HUGE hips and rear.) My weight bounced up and down some throughout my deployment, but I maintained the dress size 12 and a weight between 150 lbs and 170 lbs throughout. (My body measurements kept me in regulation weight, even when my actual weight was a little over. I'm 5'4", btw.)

However, once I left the military, I gained weight pretty quickly. Three years since I rejoined the civilian world, I am now 195 lbs and 38"-32"-48.5". I have used FitDay on and off since I was, gosh, probably 15, but generally just as a calorie counter. I now intend to utilize it more fully, and am logging everything, including my measurements and moods and goals. I also figure it's a good idea to use the forums, so here I am.

Today I took my starting photos, so as I go along, I'll probably chart my progress in the Success Stories forum. My ultimate goal weight is 115 lbs--which I've never even vaguely considered a healthy weight for me, until FitDay told me the healthy weight range for a woman my height is 107-125 lbs O.o--but my current goal weight is 130 lbs. It feels a million miles away, but I'm following FitDay's caloric intake recommendations, consuming mainly raw produce and green tea and water, and slowly adding in a little more exercise every day. The main thing is changing my whole lifestyle. I want to be a more active, healthy person. It is boring to spend so much of my day in front of the television or in front of a computer. Particularly for my best friend's daughter--who is very much my surrogate daughter, as I've nannied her literally from birth--I want to be that physically and mentally fit influence for her.

So, I'm two days in now and going strong. Wish me luck ^_^.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

Being determined will take you a long way. Stay strong and I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome! I'd suggest doing some research on nutrition and dieting, and also don't take a website's word for what your healthy weight is. After boot camp, you probably had a lot of good muscle mass, and muscle weighs more than fat (but takes up less room, which is why your measurements kept you in regulation size). If you were size 12 and fit at 150, that might be a good target for you. You can always reassess then and set another goal lower if you want The danger of dieting is that when we reduce calories and fat we often also reduce protein - and then our muscle mass shrinks. (I am your same height, and the one time I was down to 115 was after the Scarsdale Diet, and I was still flabby, and the weight came back and then some after I stopped depriving myself so much.) A great thing about FitDay is that we can track protein as well as calories - try to get at least 60 grams of protein a day, and exercise to build up that muscle mass again!
Or at least that's been my experience. I'm not a doctor - but a lot of doctors don't know much about weight loss, so we guinea pigs have to research for ourselves
Best wishes, and remember you are worth it!
Jaime

55 years old
most recent starting weight (pre-FitDay) 195
present weight 175
initial goal 165 and exercising consistently 3x/week
Old 07-04-2012, 08:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome Castor,
Or maybe I should say welcome back. Since you already know all the great things about FitDay I don't need to point them out to you .

Jaime had a great suggestion in setting 150/size 12 as your first goal. You know you were in pretty good shape at that size, and you've been there before, so you know you can do it again. Always a bonus IMHO.

I really admire your drive, it's going to get you motivated. And I bet once you get in the habit of exercising and eating a health diet, you'll stick with it just because you are going to feel great. (Well OK maybe not so great immediately after a hard workout... but you know what I mean )

Why don't you join us in the women's corner? Lots of great ladies and a gent or 2 waiting to meet you.