Notices

Heather here...hello!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

Red face Heather here...hello!

Hi there. Heather here; 35 y.o. married mother of 3 children, ages 10 (boy), 8 (girl), and 7 (boy). My sons both have special needs (my eldest has severe behavioral issues and my youngest has Autism and global developmental delays.

I decided to join FitDay and jump back into a complete life change when I noticed that scale creeping back up after several years of maintaining a 166 lbs. weight loss.

Always allowing myself a +/-5 lb. margin, I promised myself that if that scale ever read a number higher than my "danger zone" for more than a few days, I would take action immediately. It has been a few weeks, and the doctor sees no reason for the weight gain.

Chocolate and fast food. That is the reason. I didn't want to admit that to anyone, including myself, but I knew that until I did I would never get anywhere.

I am researching some gyms and hope to join one soon. My husband is supportive of my choice to change my eating habits, but it is another subject trying to talk him into "letting me" sign a contract at a gym. He just doesn't believe that I'll follow through long enough to justify the 12-month contract it requires. I can see his point, but at the same time I am ready to jump in with both feet and get MOVING!

It's great to find this site, and especially to know that there's a forum where I can post and talk to others in my situation. I sincerely hope to "meet" some of you and even develop some friendships.

~Heather~

Last edited by HeatherConnick; 01-29-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Took out sentence about "feel free to PM me" b/c function isn't available yet.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Heather, welcome to FitDay and the forums!

Logging your food and exercise is the best way I know to get your weight and fitness under control.

As to the gym, perhaps there are other alternatives than a 12 month contract? I know some of the ones around here do a monthly plan. In any event, there are so many exercises you can do in or around home for free to at least get started. Money is tight everywhere so I can understand where your husband is coming from--perhaps if he sees you exercising on a regular basis at home he might be more on board with the gym membership. Just a thought--we went through this with our daughter last year--she swore up and down she would go to the gym regularly--I think she went a total of three times. Eventually we cancelled the membership.

Regards,
Michael

PS: The PM system here is not (yet) functional, though we've been assured it is a priority with the programmers.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 AM
FitDay Member

Michael:

Thanks for the reply. As far as the gym thing goes, I totally appreciate the advice and I understand. Contracts suck!

Looks like you've done great! Are you following a specific plan?

~Heather~

P.S. Thanks for the info on the PM thing.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Heather,

Welcome to FitDay. Maybe your husbands skepticism will be enough to motivate you to prove him wrong.

I have a friend that has a son with Autism and I recently did some training on helping families with special needs family members. While I can't relate b/c I've never lived a day in your shoes, I can imagine how hectic a day in your shoes can be.

Good luck with everything and if you have any questions just ask.

ON EDIT: I almost forgot to ask, are you related to Harry Connick?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by HeatherConnick
Michael:

Thanks for the reply. As far as the gym thing goes, I totally appreciate the advice and I understand. Contracts suck!

Looks like you've done great! Are you following a specific plan?

~Heather~

P.S. Thanks for the info on the PM thing.
You're welcome, Heather

My plan is really pretty simple:

A. Stay in the neighborhood of 1500 calories
B. Keep, on average a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix of "good" food
C. Have one "day off" a month
D. Do some sort of exercise daily
E. Drink lots of water

That's it. After nine months on it, I still average between two and three pounds a week loss.

Regards,
Michael