Newby to fitday and juice fast >

Newby to fitday and juice fast

Community
Notices

Newby to fitday and juice fast

Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Newby to fitday and juice fast

Hi everyone… my name is Cameron, I'm 22, female and 5'8'' 140lbs I'm wanting to lose 15 pounds… I started a juice fast on January 8th and lost 5 pounds! (I was 145) Soo my goal is 125 and I'm not too sure if I can do that or not, but I'm going to try… I don't know how long I'll juice fast for, maybe just until I reach my goal…if you guys have any suggestions or tips or anything please let me know!! Just wanted to say hey!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Your BMI is in the normal range for your height and weight. Your goal would put you in the lower end of normal range.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

It's okay to be on the lower end as long as I'm not underweight right? I'm not anywhere near being underweight now...
Old 01-12-2015, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there Cameron Just my personal opinion here...I'm not a doctor...but I think 125 at 5' 8" is okay since it's still within a healthy BMI range for your height. However, losing weight through a juice fast is not the best way to lose weight in my opinion. I personally feel it's better to lose the weight in a manner that you can maintain that forever. If you lose weight by only drinking juice, what do you think will happen when you start eating food again? More than likely you will gain the weight back. A healthier approach would be to cut back on the things where you think you can. If you snack on things that aren't the best choices (chips, cookies, etc.) try replacing those with fruits or veggies. If you feel you already eat relatively healthy, just cutting back a bit on portion sizes can add up and have you trimming down in no time. Are you currently active? If not, try adding in some activity that you enjoy. Get your friends involved...you can have an exercise date! Meet up to go on a hike on hit your local fitness center and play a game of squash or volleyball.

I would strongly advise you to not attempt to lose any weight by doing anything as extreme such as juice fasting. I really feel this could be setting yourself up for a lifetime of yo-yoing. Just take a simple approach, cut back on your intake where you feel you can and increase your output....meaning eat a little less, move a little more. At 22, making those changes now will set you up to maintain a healthy weight throughout your life.

If you're looking for support and motivation, please feel free to join in on the weekly motivation thread.

All the best to you!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Debbie, thanks so much for your message… that totally makes sense everything you said, I think I will keep juicing some because its an easy way to get lotsa veggies in but I definitely agree I'd probably gain anything that I lost right back… I just get desperate sometimes and think drastic things will get me where I want to be. I really never have been able to successfully lose much weight before. I was a Division I athlete in college (just graduated in May) and I was used to eating really big portions because I was hungry all the time but I stopped working out after I graduated until recently and finally don't need much food to be full… so now I do exercise and I eat decent, I know a lot about what is healthy just never seem to get where I want I guess. But thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!