Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITDAY FORUMS > Newcomers
Women in their 60s with 50-plus to lose? >

Women in their 60s with 50-plus to lose?

Community
Notices

Women in their 60s with 50-plus to lose?

Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default Women in their 60s with 50-plus to lose?

Hello ... new here. Not new to being overweight. From teenage years till menopause it was 15-20 pounds over, and going on a lower calorie diet and exercise did the trick. But I did yo-yo all those years. (And I worry about the long-term effects of yo-yoing.)

Then menopause hit 10 years ago and I let it get really out of control. 50-60 pounds overweight. Pretty much gave up on dieting. Have osteoarthritis in my hands, hip, and back (and other back problems). Already had one hip replacement last year. And what have I done? I have gained 10 pounds since.
I am mortified.

I can't blame it all on not being able to move much due to the pain and mobility problems. I simply overeat sometimes, and almost always it's desserts. I have been on a cookie eating marathon since fall.

Today I finally got on the scale again and saw I am as big as I have ever been:178 pounds, at 5 feet 1.

And I am scared because I am 61 years old.

So here I am. Starting over.

I created a food journal and today I did well ... until evening. I had a late night snack of 2 portions of instant oatmeal with some low-fat milk. My total calories were 1400. Compared to how I've been eating, this was practically a starvation day. LOL.

Anyway, just wanted to find a support group, say hello, and get serious about this.

Wondering if there are any groups here for women in my age bracket?

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by UserNameOverload
Hello ... new here. Not new to being overweight. From teenage years till menopause it was 15-20 pounds over, and going on a lower calorie diet and exercise did the trick. But I did yo-yo all those years. (And I worry about the long-term effects of yo-yoing.)

Then menopause hit 10 years ago and I let it get really out of control. 50-60 pounds overweight. Pretty much gave up on dieting. Have osteoarthritis in my hands, hip, and back (and other back problems). Already had one hip replacement last year. And what have I done? I have gained 10 pounds since.
I am mortified.

I can't blame it all on not being able to move much due to the pain and mobility problems. I simply overeat sometimes, and almost always it's desserts. I have been on a cookie eating marathon since fall.

Today I finally got on the scale again and saw I am as big as I have ever been:178 pounds, at 5 feet 1.

And I am scared because I am 61 years old.

So here I am. Starting over.

I created a food journal and today I did well ... until evening. I had a late night snack of 2 portions of instant oatmeal with some low-fat milk. My total calories were 1400. Compared to how I've been eating, this was practically a starvation day. LOL.

Anyway, just wanted to find a support group, say hello, and get serious about this.

Wondering if there are any groups here for women in my age bracket?

Thanks for listening.
Hi UsernameOverload, don't despair, I joined today, I am 64 years old. In the past I had to be careful with my weight, but managed on and off, to be quite healthy and slim-mish though never exactly slender I was fit and healthy. Due to lifestyle changes -I now care full time for my husband who suffers from Parkinson's, I have become socially isolated (see friends for coffee and get out daily, but not a healthy or stimulating social life as before) I am angry, bored (don't have energy or time to work, study or follow interests) and consequently I EAT, my weight has gone up to 69kg -first time in my life. I am now determined to get back to 57kg. I arrived here in desperation. But I have lost weight before and so have you. We can do it again! May I suggest to have a blood test to check your hormonal levels to make sure everything is normal? Specially check thyroxin levels. Then, what kind of diet worked for you before? In my case, I know that a high protein, low carb diet works wonders, if I am consistent. Go back to what worked in the past, get as much support as you can. For a start we are both new here, so let us get started! I have set my goal weight for spring time, not counting calories, but keeping a food diary helps, and talking to someone here, helps too.
Wishing you all the very best for the coming year, you did it before, you can do it again! Hang on in there, you are not alone.

Last edited by velella; 12-28-2014 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Typo errors
Old 12-28-2014, 12:12 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Looks like we have some things in common! I'm female, 61 yrs old and 45 lbs overweight (180 today with a goal of 135). I've just rejoined Fitday after packing on 10 lbs since the summer. I've been sitting more than I should so it's time to get moving again. Jan, I'll begin a new fitness class, get back on the Glider tomorrow and begin weight training on Tuesday. Logging my food on Fitday is a must, otherwise I have no idea what's going in my mouth!! What are your plans for success?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM
FitDay Member

Connie, hi, we do have some things in common. I agree logging in what you eat is really helpful. I have a food journal on my computer and it's turned into a journal about the whole journey, including exercise ideas and other ideas for sticking with my "diet" (for lack of a better word). That's my main tool for losing the weight I need and want to lose. I like "counting calories" and keeping tabs on fat. I haven't done too well with talking about my weight or dieting with people in the real world, so I am keeping this to myself except here on FitDay. I also plan to keep "unsafe" foods out of the house entirely. I just don't have impulse control, I'm afraid.
Velella, I'm sorry about your husband's Parkinson's and how hard that must be. I hear you when you say you've been angry and bored. But it doesn't sound like you have that much to lose, though of course that's relative. I just mean I think it's great you didn't let your weight balloon out of control like I did. I have 50 to lose, really, and it's like leaving a bunch of laundry to pile up instead of one load.
Anyway, I feel a thousand times better just by making the commitment to myself to start over again, and FitDay has been a huge help.

I'm due soon for bloodwork with my doc, but I know my weight gain is all due to me just eating too much. I've been on a sweets bender for two months now, that's all there is to it. I can overeat if I'm happy, sad, whatever. It takes a lot of mental fortitude for me to just put the brakes on and keep them on. That's what I must do now. I am 61 and scared to death of the toll this weight could or might have.

Here's to a new US, to all of us!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hi I am 66 and this is my second try with fitday which I really like and I feel like I am mentally and emotionally ready to try and succeed. I think I fear this success and worry that people will not treat me the same. However now that I realize this I will try to keep it in mind and get on with my gluten free low carb diet. Thanks everyone for sharing and supporting. Jetgemini
Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

We are all in this together I am 66 and trying for years to lose it and keep it off I am 5'1 and weigh 161 I am down five pounds in two weeks but I was on a plateau for a week so I am not discouraged now I should weigh about 120 for my height age and frame. I am doing baby steps so I am using very small goals. 158 is my first goal which I hope to make by Sunday. I am also doing gluten free and low carb. Hope you all continue with your journey.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:58 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, Jetgimini! I feel the same way about baby steps. We're the same height and have around the same goal weight. I am just not sure what my end number should be. Right now I am tackling mini goals. 148 by end of May is one of them.

I"m no stranger to being overweight and going on weight loss regimens, but until menopause it was always a more manageable amount to lose. Because of my height, I guess, every extra pound really showed up, and my face and neck get really fat. (I have noticed that about all the women in my family, but I don't see this routinely in many other people. I wonder why some people don't get extra weight in their face?) I remember clearly when I hit 150 I was just terrified and swore never again. But during the past ten years I just really "let it go" and I mean let myself go. This has been the longest period of my adult life when I did not tackle losing weight. I just couldn't face another "diet." By "diet" I don't mean "going on a diet" like a specific plan. I do get the "it's not a diet, it's a lifetime change" mentality, but the truth is, I always feel I am on a "diet" when I take the reins and start to try to lose weight.

When you say you are afraid people won't treat you the same once you get to your goal weight, can you tell us more about that? For myself, I dread the commentary. When I was a lot younger and had 'only' 15 or so pounds to lose, people would make such a big deal, like I was SO BIG before. It really made me feel awful. But now, when I see people I have not seen in years, they look startled, like they don't recognize me. Because I am 50 pounds heavier and do not carry it well!

I think I am more afraid of horribly loose, hanging skin or looking odd in my face after I get down to my goal weight. But I figure at least my vitals will be a thousand times healthier, and that matters more.

I have a cousin who is exactly my height and age and she has never, ever gained weight. She has from day one kept calories in check and exercised religiously. She now looks slender and toned. Not skinny and scrawny. Just slender and toned. Perfect. And she is so accustomed to not overindulging, it's all just second nature to her and she does not have the stress or burden of "dealing with my weight" . I wish I had taken her path. Oh, well. I would just tell any young woman who might be reading this that if I were your age again I would do things very differently: a steady, consistent course of portion and impulse control and exercise.

I wish everyone a great day and I thank you for your support.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Well, I'm not quite 60 and only need to loose 20-30 pounds, but I'll be 60 this coming May and am once again working at getting extra pounds off. I've been using Fitday PC version for almost 10 years and just signed up for the Premium and got the app so I can have Fitday on the go and make myself more accountable. When I record everything I eat and limit my daily calories and exercise more, the weight does come off, but slack off, and the pounds creep back on. So that's where I'm at again. I was working out at Curves, doing a Power Yoga workout and using my treadmill, but have not been exercising regularly and I'm really feeling it. I came to the forum to see if I can find solutions to problems with the sync of PC to Premium and found this new thread so thought I'd join in. I'm 5'7.25" and up to 167# but want to get back under 145# again. Clothes fit so much better at that weight. I've got the healthy food choices down, just eating too much of it. It's a constant struggle. I enjoy experimenting with a range of healthy recipes from Paleo, to Vegan and am currently on an Asian recipe kick. It's quite possible to enjoy good food without going over a daily calorie limit and feel satisfied. The struggle is disciplining myself to avoid the little extras that add up here and there to hinder weight loss.

Last edited by slimwannaB; 12-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

Jetgemini, I have trouble posting all the time. It keeps telling me to log in, even though I have logged in. I wonder if it's because I only have the free membership.
Well, I get what you mean when you say you don't think people will make positive comments. When I lost in the past I would get "gee, you look SO much better" as if I looked hideous before. But I am so tired of being so overweight for my height and it really really shows on me (my face and neck are so bloated) and people I haven't seen in years don't seem to recognize me at first when I see them.

You and I really have some similarities in age, height, approx. weight, and goals. Six days in and I have lost six pounds, which I'm sure a lot of is water and I am telling myself over and over this is the honeymoon phase of any weight loss plan and expect to lose 1 pound per week moving forward. Still, doesn't it feel GOOD to see the scale go downward. It also proves to me (just speaking for myself here) that my age and lack of lots of exercise is not really the issue. If I cut down on what I eat and make better choices, I still can lose weight. Can't blame it on hormones and thyroid or anything else. It's all up to me.

Happy new year to you--to everyone here!--and here's to 2015 bringing us to our goals!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

did not get to post so not sure you will get this. Thanks for your encouraging words. I have a lot of friends and I guess I am worried that everyone of them will have something to say about this. Maybe not positive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.