FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread, starting June 3: Starting June with renewed vigor! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/9665-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-june-3-starting-june-renewed-vigor.html)

carolynnq 06-03-2013 03:20 AM

7 Day Motivational Thread, starting June 3: Starting June with renewed vigor!

Robin, my condolences to you and your family.

Jezzie - glad you popped in. A 1.5 lb loss isn't anything to sneeze at. (I'm at another plateau, so I'd gladly take it.)

Ian - good job on getting all that exercise in. As Robin said, learn from your failures. What can you do differently at the next party? Eat something low-calorie and filling before the party? Offer to make something for the party so there will be at least one thing there that's not too bad to eat? Drink a cup of water after every alcoholic beverage? Parties are minefields of temptations..

Libby - 4 lbs!!! That's fantastic. And congrats to your son. *** I am 59 years old and my metabolism is getting slower and slower.*** I hear you on the slowed metabolism. For years I ate what I wanted without gaining weight - now I'm maintaining at 1400 calories a day. Cardio workouts and weight training are supposed to increase the metabolism - I hope so.

Welcome, Renewed Soul.

epixi - I hate to see you down. You've morphed in my mind from pixie to cheerleader - always cheering everyone on. You ARE successful. You've done phenomenonally well at meeting your goals. The weight loss WILL follow. In the meantime, you've become healthier. And you have to be proud of how consistently you've met your goals. When I was feeling as you are, Cassie told me to treat my plateau like a child having a tantrum - hold firm against it and come back with renewed vigor, and not let it break me. At the time, those words were just what I needed to hear.

Donna - *** depending on how I stand on the scale...*** I know that trick! ;)

Goals for the week:
1. Avg 1400 calories a day:
2. Avg 45 min exercise a day:
3. Small bites, slower eating:
4. No sugar, white flour:

carolynnq 06-03-2013 03:56 AM

epixi - I tried the first segment of your Bollywood dance. You'll want to put me in the back row (if you don't cut me from the team first!). I'm coordinated when it comes to sports, but a real klutz when it comes to dancing. It was fun though, and I'm going to give it another try.

01gt4.6 06-03-2013 07:09 AM

http://gifs.gifbin.com/052011/130461...leweed-gif.gif
Where is everyone? I gained back my 3 pound loss and I'm starting this week at 190.8

Being the nice guy that I am, I'll set goals for no only myself but for Tori as well.

My goals
1) lose 1 pound
2) workout 3 times this week
3) take all vitamins
4) post daily
5) drink 100oz water/day

Tori's goals
1) Walk 4 miles
2) post daily
3) drink 64 oz water
4) spend at least 3 hours with JC

carolynnq 06-03-2013 07:49 AM

I don't know where everyone is. I'm glad at least you showed up. I was beginning to think you guys were all off at a party and didn't invite me. ;)

Good, do-able goals, Mike. I like the "post daily" goal for Tori. But, if my husband made weight loss goals for me - I'd be upset and probably wouldn't do them. I want to think that everyone thinks I'm fine weight-wise, even if I don't. Not rational, I know.

Robingen 06-03-2013 08:30 AM

Hey where the heck is everyone? Well Carolyn and Mike - just us? For now I guess. Hope they'll be back.

For various reasons this is an odd week for me and I am not going to make any workout goals. Workout if I can I guess. That's it.

This weeks goals:

1. Cals between 1200 and 1400 (rolling average)
2. One green tea per day.
3. Increase Omega 3

01gt4.6 06-03-2013 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by carolynnq (Post 99442)
I like the "post daily" goal for Tori. But, if my husband made weight loss goals for me - I'd be upset and probably wouldn't do them. I want to think that everyone thinks I'm fine weight-wise, even if I don't. Not rational, I know.

Haha, Tori and I are NOT an item. She more like a little sister to me, or my Wonder Twin. I was going to make a weight loss goal for her but figured if I could just get her back on the wagon I shouldn't push my luck. That's not to say that next week she's not going to have a weight loss goal. Actually I may get her to make goals for us next week.

Robingen 06-03-2013 09:04 AM

I thought she was your twin, nonetheless very kind of you to set some goals for her Mike.:D

libby116 06-03-2013 10:44 AM

Congrats to all who lost this week. To those who didn't don't give up.
My goals for the week are 2lbs. loss
drink 6 glasses of water
walk 10K
1100 cal.or less per day
Post daily to stay accountable
We can do this.
What is your cryptonite? Mine is black licorice from Australia. I use it as a treat for a job well done.

ToriD1012 06-03-2013 12:12 PM

WOW! I found my way back. AND remembered my password...hahaha. Mike, thanks for making my goals. I'll do my best with them. So far I'm doing decent with them. Not a lot of time to catch up today, but maybe tomorrow. I'll do my best, that's all I can do.

carolynnq 06-03-2013 12:48 PM

Tori - good to see you again. You must be pretty special to have your own personal goal-setter!

Robin - wise of you to cut back on your goals if the structure of your week can't support them.

Libby - my kryptonite? my weakness? I'm afraid I have more than one - pizza, potato chips, and cheese for a start. Cheese isn't bad per se, it's just that I can't stop eating it. I'm not that big on sweets, but I do love licorice. I don't think I've had Australian licorice though.

RenewedSoul 06-03-2013 12:57 PM

I didn't think I would make it on in time to add my goals for the week. I started April 28 to my weight loss journey. I also started a 6 week raw veggie, fruit, seeds, and nuts diet to cleanse my body of toxins and processed foods. I have one more week and then I will add boiled eggs and cooked veggies. I am hoping this forum will keep me on track to weight loss, so I can become the healthiest possible. Good luck everyone this week!

Goals for the week:
*keep calories at a min. of 1,200 and max. of 1,400
*Walk 15 minutes at night
*Drink 6 glasses of water at the min.
*Only eat raw fruits, veggies, seeds, & and nuts for the week

Weight Progress

Joined April 28, 2013, beginning of my health journey; LOTS TO LOSE
*May 4: -5 pounds
*May 9: -10 pounds
*May 16: -13 pounds
*May 23: -15 pounds
*May 26: -16 pounds
*June 3: -21 pounds

carolynnq 06-03-2013 01:09 PM

RenewedSoul - great job on the weight loss -- and on your persistence in sticking with that diet. If ever you don't have time to check in here on a Monday, just jump in and post your goals on Tuesday or Wednesday, or whenever and start from then.

Jezzie8 06-03-2013 01:12 PM

Hi Renewed Soul. This raw diet - did you get it from Young and Raw website?
I ask because I purchased a 3 week raw cleanse as well but haven't done it yet :)
I need to be in the right mind set to tackle something like that!

RenewedSoul 06-03-2013 03:10 PM

Hi! I just found several websites about only eating raw and the benefits. I did not do the drink cleanse that goes with it. I read about a lady from England that has went totally raw. She has lost over 100 pounds and kept it off for years. I will try and find her website and story.

libby116 06-03-2013 10:26 PM

Renewed Soul: Can you tell us what you eat in a typical day. I am interested in going on a plant based diet for a short while.

dmartz 06-04-2013 12:21 AM

I thought about starting the thread yesterday, but couldn't think of a catchy title. Well done! Carolyn.

Monday:
  • Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1078
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 109
  • Vegetables > 3 / day:
  • Protein > 50 g / day:
  • Sugar < 50 g / day:
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55
Last week I was way too high on the calories, too low on veggies. But I made the rest of the goals, including an extra 30 minutes of workout, which helped considerably.

I'd like to see Mike's one pound loss, and raise, I mean lower him one, but I'm not sure I can loose two. It might be worth a try...

Libby: Congrats on your six pound loss in May!
RenewedSoul: 21 That's impressive.
Carolyn: Are you still just one pound from your 1st Goal?

Oh, & my cryptonite? I have to admit it's red wine.
One glass and all food inhibition: gone!

- Donna

jjrudd 06-04-2013 01:17 AM

Hi everyone. I'm a day late.

I'll be sticking with my usual goals
1. Stay within carb limit.
2. Drink 6 glasses of water. It's cooler this week so this might be harder!
3. Exercise 3X. Gonna start off low because I haven't been doing much lately.

June is an emotional month for me. I find it hard to get motivated to exercise.
I'm going to go for a walk this morning. Gotta go to bank and maybe find some cards at gift shop.

Jennifer

episode2011 06-04-2013 01:47 AM

Goals for the Week:

Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes
Maintain adequate daily hydration: yes
Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 1200-1550 calories: 1503
Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 800-1300mg sodium: 1301
Maintain a 7-day rolling average of at least 16g fiber: 16
Some sort of physical activity 4x during the week: M=Tai Chi and Navrai ...(1/4)
Study every day: yes

Sorry I've been MIA. I've tried to post several times, but most of the attempts came out extraordinarily toxic and I didn't think that served anyone well -- you or me. There's no need for me to rain on everyone else's parade simply because I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Traditionally, this is just about the time where I make a not-so-graceful exit from the wagon ("Screw this, if I'm not going to get the results anyway, I may as well go back to eating things I want and things I like rather than all this healthy cr... stuff"). Evidence: I've blown my 3-week blue streak by starting the week in the red (one blasted sodium point). I'm going to try my hardest not to let it spiral down from here but no guarantees.

Sorry for the rant...

jjrudd 06-04-2013 02:40 AM

[QUOTE=episode2011;99468 There's no need for me to rain on everyone else's parade simply because I'm feeling sorry for myself.
[/QUOTE]

Epixi, I would rather someone be honest with themselves and with us than fake it. Choosing to eat healthy is hard work. Sometimes life is hard.

Right now I want to skip the entire month of June. Unfortunately I have to put on the brave face and :D

Jenn

01gt4.6 06-04-2013 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by carolynnq (Post 99450)
Tori - good to see you again. You must be pretty special to have your own personal goal-setter!

Oh God, now she's going to get a big head!

Originally Posted by dmartz (Post 99462)
I'd like to see Mike's one pound loss, and raise, I mean lower him one, but I'm not sure I can loose two. It might be worth a try...

You got that!

dmartz 06-04-2013 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by episode2011 (Post 99468)
[.. My]the attempts came out extraordinarily toxic and I didn't think that served anyone well -- you or me. There's no need for me to rain on everyone else's parade simply because I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Traditionally, this is just about the time where I make a not-so-graceful exit from the wagon ("Screw this, if I'm not going to get the results anyway, I may as well go back to eating things I want and things I like rather than all this healthy cr... stuff"). Evidence: I've blown my 3-week blue streak by starting the week in the red (one blasted sodium point). I'm going to try my hardest not to let it spiral down from here but no guarantees.

Sorry for the rant...

Sorry I'm hacking this in while 'attending' a boring phone mtg. ...
But one red sodium point? That's like, nothing! If I went into the details of my food transgressions, no one would read this forum again!

Now suck it up, pick your cardboard, um, I mean Rice cake and repeat after me! I will eat healthy! I WILL EAT HEALTHY!

Robingen 06-04-2013 03:28 AM

Hey Tori- welcome back.

Epixi- you have been SO enthusiastic. Don't give up. You will not lose pounds every week, but you will lose every month. Be patient. Do a list of pros and cons if you need to.

This weeks goals:

1. Cals between 1200 and 1400 (rolling average) 1311
2. One green tea per day. M-Y
3. Increase Omega 3. M-Y

RenewedSoul 06-04-2013 03:49 AM

Jezzie: Here is the website that first inspired me to go raw for awhile and a link to the pictures of Angela Stokes.

Woman goes raw, loses more than half herself - CNN.com

Raw Reform - Photo Gallery

Libby: I can eat anything that is raw. This includes any raw fruits, veggies, seeds, and nuts. I had a hard time reaching 1,200 calories at first, so I researched the raw diet. I added cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to make a dressing for the veggies. Some types of balsamic vinegar can be used on a raw diet (look for ones without caramel coloring). The plan states you can eat raw fish and eggs, but that sounds really gross and could be dangerous (bacteria). I only drink water. After six weeks, I plan on adding boiled eggs, so I can get B12 in my diet. I do take multivitamins. My goal is to stay off all processed foods and meats until I reach my goal. (which will be a very long time) I may stay off meat forever. I have never been a meat fan, and I do not miss bread. (I miss mashed potatoes :eek: ) Below is a sample of what I would eat for lunch.

*Veggie salad with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, fresh mushrooms (for Vit. D), onion, raw zucchini, 2 tablespoons of homemade raw dressing (1 tablespoon of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, clove of crushed garlic, a bit of chopped jalapeno, dill weed)
*A piece of fruit or grapes

carolynnq 06-04-2013 04:07 AM

Goals for the week:
1. Avg 1400 calories a day: 1255
2. Avg 45 min exercise a day: 22, 50 so far today
3. Small bites, slower eating: so-so
4. No sugar, white flour: Y
--------------
Robin - I enjoy reading your rotating quotations. *** It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. ― Confucius *** I'm going to keep this one.

Donna - I too hesitated to start the thread trying to think of a title. What first came to mind was "June is busting out all over" - which made it sound like we were all bursting out of our clothes - NOT good! I looked at past threads and saw a lot didn't have any title other than the date, so that's what I'll do next time, if I can't think of anything. I'm at my first goal - forgot to change my signature. Still hovering around it. I'm at a point where each pound is coming off VERY slowly.

Jenn - that's the way to do it - going for a walk even if you're not motivated.

epixi - stay on the wagon!!!! You can do it. I want (and need) to lose some more. But as long as the scale's not going up, I'm happy (well, not happy, but satisfied) - I know all too well how quickly the pounds can go on. You've lost 16+ pounds. That's no small achievement. Have you noticed a difference - in your body shape? in your energy levels? in your mobility/endurance?

Mike - *** Oh God, now she's going to get a big head! *** If her head starts to swell, just tell her that a big head = more pounds.

01gt4.6 06-04-2013 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by episode2011 (Post 99468)
Goals for the Week:

Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes
Maintain adequate daily hydration: yes
Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 1200-1550 calories: 1503
Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 800-1300mg sodium: 1301
Maintain a 7-day rolling average of at least 16g fiber: 16
Some sort of physical activity 4x during the week: M=Tai Chi and Navrai ...(1/4)
Study every day: yes

Sorry I've been MIA. I've tried to post several times, but most of the attempts came out extraordinarily toxic and I didn't think that served anyone well -- you or me. There's no need for me to rain on everyone else's parade simply because I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Sorry for the rant...

I understand you wanting to be all positive and upbeat but you know what?? Life isn't always rainbows and lollipops. I've said it before, I'll say it again... we are like one big (dysfunctional) family. Part of motivating others is also having someone to lean on when you need a lift. That's what we're here for. Unless you licked your plate, that 1mg of sodium probably stayed on the plate.

dmartz 06-04-2013 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 99478)
I understand you wanting to be all positive and upbeat but you know what?? Life isn't always rainbows and lollipops...

Yeah! I'm 56 and ~still~ waiting for my pony!

- Donna

carolynnq 06-04-2013 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 99478)
Unless you licked your plate, that 1mg of sodium probably stayed on the plate.

LOL. I laughed out loud at that one.

libby116 06-04-2013 08:39 AM

You think your life sucks. I have spent the better part of the day trying to pass a kidney stone. Not much eating, no exercise, just a trip to the medical lab and lying on my back at home in pain. I bet you feel better about your life already. Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to keep in touch. Better days are ahead for us all.

carolynnq 06-04-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by libby116 (Post 99487)
You think your life sucks. I have spent the better part of the day trying to pass a kidney stone. Not much eating, no exercise, just a trip to the medical lab and lying on my back at home in pain. I bet you feel better about your life already. Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to keep in touch. Better days are ahead for us all.

Oh, Libby - ouch!! Hope you've passed it. Take care of yourself.

ToriD1012 06-04-2013 01:05 PM

Monday & Tuesday Update

Tori's goals
1) Walk 4 miles--0, 2
2) post daily--yes, yes
3) drink 64 oz water--no, probably not but working on it
4) spend at least 3 hours with JC--2, 0

No big heads here. I needed him to set some small goals for me. Didn't know he was gonna do it, but glad he did.

Libby--OUCH!!! Hope you're feeling a little better.

Everyone else--Stay strong, keep on keeping on!!

Robingen 06-04-2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by libby116 (Post 99487)

I heard that's very painful.....that pretty much qualifies as a medical emergency I'd say, pass for you on this day.

This weeks goals:

1. Cals between 1200 and 1400 (rolling average) 1311, 1292
2. One green tea per day. M-Y. T-N (eek forgot)
3. Increase Omega 3. M-Y, T-Y

Busy day, worked all day, went for an MRI after work, then to my niece's dance show, then groceries, finally got home at 10:15. I WILL have 2 green tea tomorrow. Off to do yoga and then bed.

Epixi you might want to check the quote in the signature line.

episode2011 06-04-2013 01:38 PM

Libby wrote:

You think your life sucks. I have spent the better part of the day trying to pass a kidney stone...
Oooooh, Libby, ouch :(. I sure hope the worst is over and you're back on the mend. Take it easy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks and gigantic (((hugs))) to you all. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I really appreciate it. I think I've shaken off the grumps and am back on track now.

Well, intellectually and emotionally back on track. Nutritionally, not so much, hehe. The family wanted Chinese for dinner and, hey, who am I to deny them? So, now I've got a belly full of potstickers, lo mein, fried rice and spring rolls and I enjoyed every bite. Sodium, pow! Through the roof. Calories? Right up there with the sodium. Fiber, pffft, what's that? I know the scale will yell at me tomorrow (and I know it's water weight, but I still hate bad numbers), but at least these bad numbers will have a reason behind them. I can live with that (like I have a choice, eh?).

I'll catch up on posts tomorrow. Soooo much work to be done!

episode2011 06-05-2013 12:25 AM

Goals for the Week:

Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes
Maintain adequate daily hydration: yes, yes
Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 1200-1550 calories: 1503, 1474
Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 800-1300mg sodium: 1301, 1356
Maintain a 7-day rolling average of at least 16g fiber: 16, 14
Some sort of physical activity 4x during the week: Mon=Tai Chi and Navrai, Tue=rest ...(1/4)
Study every day: yes, yes

RenewedSoul 06-05-2013 12:36 AM

Goals for the week:
*keep calories at a min. of 1,200 and max. of 1,400 yes, yes
*Walk 15 minutes at night yes, yes
*Drink 6 glasses of water at the min. yes, no
*Only eat raw fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts for the week yes, yes

dmartz 06-05-2013 01:45 AM

Tues

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1078, 1069
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 109, 78
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 2, 2
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 53, 42
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 64, 57
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55, 10

01gt4.6 06-05-2013 02:56 AM

My goals
1) lose 1 pound
2) workout 3 times this week no, yes
3) take all vitamins yes, yes
4) post daily yes, yes
5) drink 100oz water/day yes, yes

01gt4.6 06-05-2013 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by episode2011 (Post 99494)
So, now I've got a belly full of potstickers!

WTH? O.o

episode2011 06-05-2013 03:33 AM

I wrote "...So, now I've got a belly full of potstickers..."

To which Mike responded "WTH? O.o"

Potstickers are delightful little doughy dumplings filled with some sort of meat/vegetable combo (the filling can vary). I first had them with a friend in San Francisco and fell in love with 'em! According to Wikipedia:

Jiǎozi (simplified Chinese: 饺子; traditional Chinese: 餃子; Japanese: 餃子(gyōza); Vietnamese: bánh chẻo; Nepali: म:म: or ममचा) or pot sticker is a Chinese dumpling widely spread to Nepal, Japan, Eastern and Western Asia.

Jiaozi typically consists of a ground meat and/or vegetable filling wrapped into a thinly rolled piece of dough, which is then sealed by pressing the edges together or by crimping. Jiaozi should not be confused with wonton; jiaozi has a thicker skin and a relatively flatter, more oblate, double-saucer like shape (similar in shape to ravioli), and is usually eaten with a soy-vinegar dipping sauce (and/or hot chili sauce); while wontons have thinner skin, have square skins, and are usually served in broth. The dough for the jiaozi and wonton wrapper also consist of different ingredients.
There's much more to the Wikipedia article, but this intro pretty much sums it up. Bottom line: potstickers = deliciousness!

libby116 06-05-2013 03:52 AM

Thank you for your well wishes. The pain has subsided but I still feel weak. No exercise and I am trying to figure out what to eat. Plenty of water with lemon to drink. Waiting for a call from the doctor. Hangin in there.

carolynnq 06-05-2013 04:17 AM

Robin - hope your MRI provides doctors with the info they need to help you.

Libby - glad you're on the mend!

------
Goals for the week:
1. Avg less than 1400 calories a day: 1255, 1170
2. Avg 45 min exercise a day: 22, 125,
3. Small bites, slower eating: so-so
4. No sugar, white flour: Y, Y