Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread starting May 20 - Stay Strong!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 AM
FitDay Member

Week 1 (unrealistic) goals:

Less than 1500 calories per day, under 10 000 for the week.
Log all exercise to set a proper goal for week 2

Daily Progress (Friday):

2537 Calories
150 situps

Weekly Progress:

8630 Calories
1.5 miles walked
600 situps
50 pushups
Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 AM
FitDay Member

Hello there, Naomi! Welcome aboard! I'm glad you found us! You're right -- this is a wonderfully supportive community!

Originally Posted by iansteele
...I live in East Asia and the things they eat are very different from things back in the states....
Ahhh, interesting. I assume that would also make tracking more of a challenge since some of the foods to which you have access aren't necessarily in Fitday's database.

...I just randomly plucked 1500 out of the air since it seems to be a sort of average of the people here...
And that's a bit of a bugaboo. Many of the folks here who're using 1200-1500 are women. That's just not enough for most guys, especially if the guy is active (doing 250 sit-ups/day qualifies as active, if you ask me). I'm not a dietitian, nutritionist, physician or lawyer (), so take anything I say here with a grain of salt (but not too much salt -- gotta watch that sodium). I'd recommend you try to calculate your actual calorie needs, based on your age, height, gender, activity level and body type. Somewhere in these forums, I remember Carolynn giving a detailed walkthrough of how to calculate it. I'll see if I can find/link it for you.

I'm guessing you can (and maybe should) eat a lot more than you think you can.

...Well, I eat a lot of rice unfortunately since its the easiest thing to get...
Not necessarily unfortunate, depending on how it's prepared and what goes on it. Also, is it white rice or brown rice? Do you put any sauce on it? It may be that the sauce and prep are the issues, not the rice.

...A lot of mushrooms, onions, carrots, lettuce and eggs. Since all of that is pretty much protein free I also eat a fair bit of pork (beef is overpriced here)...
That's all good stuff, even the pork depending on how it's prepared. The eggs and pork provide a lot of protein. Have you considered adding in some edamame, if it's available? A half cup of shelled edamame is chock full of protein (11g) and fiber (9g) and has very little sodium (15mg). One thing I've learned about Asian foods is that some things contain a lot of sodium (sauces, especially), so that may be something you'll need to watch out for.

And, of course, you can always ramp up how much fish you eat.

...I only drink once or twice a week, but I can't really cut that out, the culture here is very hierarchial and a lot of times I don't have much of a choice...
So it seems you'll have to account for that in your plan. I'm sure some of those beers are being offset with the sit-ups .

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
  • At least 2000ml water per day: 2000, 2000, 2000, 2000, 2000 <--- but it was a struggle
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 1200-1550 calories: 1319, 1349, 1372, 1392, 1383
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 800-1300mg sodium: 903, 876, 886, 907, 958
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average of at least 16g fiber: 23, 23, 22, 21, 22
  • Some sort of physical activity 4x during the week: M=Tai Chi/Yoga, T=Taiko Class, W=Tai Chi, Th=Yoga Class, F=nothing... um let's call it "rest" ---- (4/4)
  • Study every day: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Was feeling lazy yesterday, so didn't do anything particularly active. I *thought* about doing some Tai Chi. Does that count?

Definitely going to have to re-evaluate the water situation. 2000ml is beginning to mess with my quality of life (always having to be near a bathroom), not to mention my quality of sleep. Actually, given how important sleep is to weight maintenance/loss (ghrelin production and all that), I think having a solid night's sleep may be more important than the extra water. Besides, lately, I get a lot of "water" via other channels. I've been having a lot of that soup, plus coffee, fruit (yes, me, fruit!) and the very occasional diet coke. I've been ingesting a lot of liquid, so I may be able to cut back on the actual clear, flavorless water. More research is needed.

It's the weekend, yay! Time to cut loose and make it a Sassy Saturday, everyone!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Friday

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1218, 1266, 890, 1413, 1911
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 65, 95, 48, 117, 172
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 2, 2, 6, 0, 3,
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 54, 53, 42, 66, 70
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 53, 59, 35, 37, 69
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 60, 10, 60, 10, 10
Grapefruit, big salad with double broccoli, turkey sandwich for dinner, then had a chocolate blowout!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default weigh in

Today I weighted in at 186.4 lbs. I am under 5ft and that is too much weight to be carrying around. If I made steady progress I could be at goal in a year.
The week ends are a challenge for me so I have to be vigilant and stick to my plan. It helps to have like minded people to convers with. We can do this.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

Carolyn: Thanks for the Croque Madam recipe! I'm definitely going to try that. I remember once when I was living in Holland (Den Haig) wrapping Asparagus with some good ham and baking. Then trying to ad lib a 'mock hollandaise,' since I didn't have any eggs. I think I used milk and lemon juice, mustard, and maybe some white wine. I didn't turn out bad at all, though I bet it was closer to fake bechamel than hollandaise. Something like that might be good on a homemade Croque. Tho I'd have to call it fancy grilled ham and cheese.

Originally Posted by lildebbieg
Height 5' 2"
May 23,2013 - 140 lbs. (starting over yet again!)
[..]
Ultimate Goal - 114 lbs.
Debbie: I know that reaching your goals is possible, because your sig describes my journey over the last two years. I decided to get serious about losing weight after Thanksgiving eighteen months ago. I've been between 114 - 116 lbs since around September of last year. I haven't giving up yet, because it takes real work at my age to stay at that weight. I didn't fret when I had a high cal day, because I think it's good not to stay at the same calorie intake value day after day. When I have two high cal days back to back I have to go back to getting serious about weight loss. It get harder as you get lower, but you have to just get tough. Planks, push-ups, and Pilates are my weapons of choice.

Originally Posted by episode2011
Was feeling lazy yesterday, so didn't do anything particularly active. I *thought* about doing some Tai Chi. Does that count?
It depends. Did you think about it *really hard*?

- Donna
Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Robingen

Welcome back lilDebbie, I think I remember you! Lots of people come and go but if you stick with us that would be great! The support is very helpful.
Thanks Robin!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dmartz
It depends. Did you think about it *really hard*?
I imagined myself doing every slow, deliberate step. And the imaginary me did a really good job -- she got through the whole routine, even though the real me only knows the first few steps .

On the bright side, the real me *did* practice today. Got it out of the way this morning, so as not to have a repeat of yesterday.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:51 PM
FitDay Member

Epixi, I am pretty sure it's a good thing to take a rest day.

This week's goals:

1. Green tea 1x per day:M-Y, T-Y, W-Y, Th-Y, F-Y, S-Y
2. Calories 1200-1400: 1837, 1286, 1326, 1304, 1226, 1321
3. Swim once: Th
4. Gym once: W
5. Walk at least 2x: T, W

Despite "nursing" my injured back, it's not getting much better so I am going to a Chiropractic Wellness Centre Tuesday for an assessment and I can't wait. If it turns out that I am just being impatient that will be fine but I want to know what if anything to do about it.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 PM
FitDay Member

Week 1 (unrealistic) goals:

Less than 1500 calories per day, under 10 000 for the week.
Log all exercise to set a proper goal for week 2

Daily Progress (Saturday):

2184 Calories
No exercise

Weekly Progress:

10814 Calories
1.5 miles walked
600 situps
50 pushups
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 PM
FitDay Member

Ahhh, interesting. I assume that would also make tracking more of a challenge since some of the foods to which you have access aren't necessarily in Fitday's database.
It's not too hard, the internet is full of information on lesser known things

And that's a bit of a bugaboo. Many of the folks here who're using 1200-1500 are women. That's just not enough for most guys, especially if the guy is active (doing 250 sit-ups/day qualifies as active, if you ask me). I'm not a dietitian, nutritionist, physician or lawyer (), so take anything I say here with a grain of salt (but not too much salt -- gotta watch that sodium). I'd recommend you try to calculate your actual calorie needs, based on your age, height, gender, activity level and body type. Somewhere in these forums, I remember Carolynn giving a detailed walkthrough of how to calculate it. I'll see if I can find/link it for you.

I'm guessing you can (and maybe should) eat a lot more than you think you can.
I didn't take into account the gender factor. I'll change that up for next week. 250 situps takes about 10 minutes (of actually exercise time) it doesn't really count as active.

Not necessarily unfortunate, depending on how it's prepared and what goes on it. Also, is it white rice or brown rice? Do you put any sauce on it? It may be that the sauce and prep are the issues, not the rice.
Um... its cooked in a rice cooker, not sure if those exist in the states, but the average rice meal generally contains about 500+ calories

That's all good stuff, even the pork depending on how it's prepared. The eggs and pork provide a lot of protein. Have you considered adding in some edamame, if it's available? A half cup of shelled edamame is chock full of protein (11g) and fiber (9g) and has very little sodium (15mg). One thing I've learned about Asian foods is that some things contain a lot of sodium (sauces, especially), so that may be something you'll need to watch out for.

And, of course, you can always ramp up how much fish you eat.
I can't get edamame. I don't eat too many Asian sauces since spicy isn't really my thing, so that doesn't really factor into it. Funny you should mention fish, I just bought a ton of raw fishies to make sure next weeks logs look a lot more polished than this weeks.

So it seems you'll have to account for that in your plan. I'm sure some of those beers are being offset with the sit-ups .
A bit of beer never hurt anybody (que angry response from recovering alcoholics)

@Dmartz - Kan jij Duits spreken?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.