FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread for 1/14/13 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/8951-7-day-motivational-thread-1-14-13-a.html)

01gt4.6 01-16-2013 04:49 AM

ugggggg I tried several time to log on to the forums yesterday and every time I did, It logged me back up and sent me to my food journal.

Today has been not good. I went to the dentist and got my teef all clean and shiny, then I dirtied them up with king cake. :(

The good thing is that after listen to a certain someone give his speech on TV I think I've lost my appetite, so maybe I can turn this day around. :o

I guess I need to run up to Academy and try to find some running shoes. I have my 1/2 marathon around the corner and I'm at mile zero.

cjohnson728 01-16-2013 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 94377)
ugggggg I tried several time to log on to the forums yesterday and every time I did, It logged me back up and sent me to my food journal

I'm having the same problem, since yesterday. Clearing the cache works, but doing it every time I want to log on is a pain. I sent a PM about it.

Oh, and spit out those crumbs, lace up those sneaks and get back on the wagon, bucko!

ToriD1012 01-16-2013 06:44 AM

Tuesday Update

1-log in and post everyday (M-F)--yes, yes
2-must drink water--better, still not where I need to be, getting there
3-treadmill, get on it and walk dammit--no, yes

Will check in again later.

Mern 01-16-2013 09:12 AM

Mike, I had a devil of a time on FitDay yesterday. I'd log in and every time I went to the forums it logged me off. It happened over and over and over, so I gave up and then tried again about an hour later and got my post in. King cake teeth, eh? LOL Good for you on starting to prepare for that half marathon.

Tori, nice Tuesday update! Way to go!

Quinn, your dinner certainly did sound yummy. There's a restaurant near me that makes a sweet potato casserole with cinnamon and sugar and it is sooooo yummy, but soooo taboo for me now. Cod is my favorite fish and I certainly can enjoy fruit and yogurt. :)

Robin, that's so true--if I don't like the exercise, I just don't have the fortitude to do it at all. The Y does have yoga for seniors, but I don't do it. That's great that you enjoy snowshoing. That must burn a lot of calories!

Joanna, nice report for Monday and Tuesday!

Nyda, I'm glad you're feeling better. Shoveling snow in a balmy 3 degrees! Wow! 8 degrees must feel like a heat wave! Thanks--yes, water does help drain water retention--I know it, but don't practice that enough.

Donna, you ought to see a vast improvement in your next blood cholesterol test. Are you leaning toward vegetarian?

Cassie, so nice to read that you got some extra sleep in. Lord knows you need it!

Jenn, kudos on staying in your carb and protein limit. You're getting close to your fruit and veggie goal! Well, kudos on your clean kitchen. Aw, enjoy your coffee with your friend Saturday. :)

Caty, I had to chuckle on your newly-found muscles. :p Ah, grandkids are great. We've got seven of them plus 2 great-grandkids. We have a college student granddaughter living with us. Her mother lives only four miles away and we invited granddaughter to come live with us so we could transport her back and forth to her part time job so she could save up for a used car for college. (No public transportation access where we live.) She saved up for a car, but then decided she liked her bigger bedroom and more privacy here, so she decided to stay. But we also supervise her three siblings before and after school five days a week so she sees her family almost daily. The grandkids certainly help keep us active.

Ama, hi! Kudos on that superb Tuesday report! :) I hope you enjoy the lasagna. My DH enjoyed it so much that he had a second helping.

Mern 01-16-2013 10:36 AM

My web surfing finally yielded a plan I decided is sensible enough for me to follow to help speed up my metabolism while still keeping my blood sugar and cholesterol normal through diet alone. I'm going to try the 21 Day Metabolism Makeover which is part of the Food Lovers Fat Loss System. There are three versions and the one I chose fits into my existing carb and protein goals with protein as the centerpiece of the fat loss plate, accompanied by low carb fruits and veggies and limited healthy fats. The difference is in how the proteins and carbs are combined and how the meals/snacks are spaced. But the cost of the system is more than I want to pay, so since the metabolism makeover is just 21 days, I'll see what I can do with the info I was able to compile for free from online sources.

I'm still going to web surf more to see what additional free info I can find, but for now I'll start with this and see how it goes:

Eat three meals (or more small meals) and snacks every 2-3 hours. Last snack finished at least one hour before bedtime but no more than 2 hours.
--Calorie minimum 1200
--Net carb limit 25g
--Fiber minimum 25g
--Keep my cholesterol under 250mg per day
--One protein and three low carbs per meal and beginning with day 6 also protein with each snack.
--Snack first 5 days is one portion of a whole food (such as an apple which is too high carb for me, but I can find something else easily) or any food that doesn't exceed 150-250 calories (no problem there)
--Stay low total fat- 17.5g limit per meal.
--Water supposed to be TWELVE 8 oz. glasses per day, but LOL that ain't gonna happen. My goal is still 64 oz.

dmartz 01-16-2013 10:54 AM

HAHAHa, Mern! Me, lean toward vegetarianism? I'm cooking a chuck roast for dinner and planning to help eat it. So I don't think so. Just trying to diversify my diet toward more healthy items.

But honestly, thanks for waking me up in advance to the fact that Chuck is likely a Very High cholesterol item. I should go look up how much I can eat. Oops, I better watch out on that 'No Obsessing' Goal too...

- Donna

Mern 01-16-2013 11:49 AM

Donna, LOL on the chuck roast. I got all excited early this morning when I thought my local public library had a metabolism boosting book I could borrow for free. Its the 21-DAY WEIGHT LOSS KICKSTART. It looked great online, but after I borrowed it I found it's a plant based book that poo-poos meat and dairy. I don't want that kind of eating lifestyle. I'm not willing to give up my moo. I enjoy chuck roast from time to time--yeah, it's a little higher in cholesterol, but one can go for sensible averages and sensible portion sizes. Enjoy it! :)

I did find a different program, though, that'll be easier for me to follow and I can still have meat and dairy.

jjrudd 01-16-2013 01:58 PM

Mern, I'm so glad you found a program that you like. I know how frustrated you were.
Wishing you well on the plan!
For myself I have to modify most diets because they have you eat protein at every meal.

Jenn

bojibridge 01-16-2013 04:03 PM

For today:
1.) Less than or around 1400 calories/day: M - Y, T - Y, W - Y
2.) Follow C25k program: M - Y, T - off, W - off (sort of - I'm reorganizing my workout routine, but I did exercise!)
3.) Walk to car at least x4: M - Y, T - Y, W - Y
4.) Drink 64 oz. water/day: M - Y, T - Y, W - I think so
5.) Figure out basal rates (pronto): Okay, I think I got this, but we'll see tomorrow for sure.

Mern, seems like your new plan covers all the bases - I hope it works!

cjohnson728 01-16-2013 11:37 PM

Still problems logging in yesterday, but I'm still on plan and hitting my goals. I'm headed out for a long day across town and hoping to make it home before the dreaded "wintry mix;" hopefully I can get on tonight and catch up my goal posting! Hope you all have a wonderful day :).

jjrudd 01-17-2013 12:02 AM

Goals this week...
1. Drink minimum of 6 glasses of water no, no, no
2. Exercise 5x for 30 min Mon-20 min, Tues took day off, Wed none
3. Keep within carb/protein limit yes, yes, Wed yes on carb a little over on protein
4. At least 4 servings fruits and veggies Mon--Wed 3

Not a very good day for me yesterday :(
Jenn

dmartz 01-17-2013 12:08 AM

Wed.

• Cholesterol < 250 mg/day: 144, 35, 117
  • Lift weights @ gym > 30 mins:
  • Exercise @ Home > 30 mins x 2: Y(50 mins)
  • Eat Vegetables > 3 servings/day: N(1), Y(4), Y(3)
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 39, 46, 81
  • Total Calories < 1750 / day: 1206, 1550, 1888,
  • Less Sugar intake (subjective): N, ~, Y
  • Be less obsessive (subjective): ~, Y, Y
Carrots, Carrots, and ... Chuck. Went to Trader Joe's for the first time, and added some '2 Buck' to the roast I had in the fridge. Dinner got rave reviews, & I drank ~ 4 ounces of the remaining wine.

sarah709 01-17-2013 12:59 AM

Food diary--yes!
Exercise daily--yes
staying within daily calories--yes
changing behaviors--yes! I just realized I was trying to eat every meal as if it was going to be the last one of the day--not too healthy and I don't know how I got to that point.
Water--mostly but I still need to drink more!
Post Daily--couldn't get logged in but will post daily when I can
Weigh Date--Friday

Sarah709

Mern 01-17-2013 02:45 AM

Sarah, welcome. I like your goals. Eating healfully is a continual learning experience for me as it is for most of us. As my doc says, "You don't have to be perfect--just better than you USED to be." Best wishes. :)

OK, today is day 1 of my 21 Day Metabolism Makeover. I was surprised that when I planned out today's menu I was able to do it according to the program guidelines PLUS my own guidelines I must follow to keep my blood sugar and cholesterol normal without meds. IThe version of the program I chose is basically the same low carb, low sat fat foods I have enjoyed in the past, just requires eating MORE low carb veggies, combined differently with my protein and spaced differently to help speed up metabolism. I don't know it will work, but it's my best hope right now. We shall see! :)

Today's planned menu:

Breakfast: zero cholesterol egg substitute scrambled eggs with black soybeans and broccoli. (Just two tablespoons of roasted red pepper Alfredo sauce I chose as my allowed low fat dairy made it surprisingly good.)

Morning snack: strawberries and almonds

Lunch: lean, preservative free roast beef, veggie soup with black soybeans added instead of my planned broccoli and green beans.

Afternoon snack: low carb protein shake

Dinner: changed from salmon to turkey burger patty, green beans, asparagus

Evening snack: low carb protein shake, one wedge of light Laughing Cow Cheese spread on cucumber slices.

Off to the store to stock up for my new program.

quinnesec 01-17-2013 02:58 AM

I've had the same log on issues, as well. It lets me log on, but then when I try to go from my section to the forums, it would log me out. Today seems to be better.

My food plan, and eating in general, are going very well. After a year of struggling to focus, it seems as though "the switch" that we all talk about has finally been flipped for me. Don't know how, or why, but I'll take it. It probably had something to do with seeing a number on the scale that I hadn't seen for a long time... that will do it every time! lol After being on a plateau for about a week, the scale started to creak, ever so slowly, down again after I added about 150 cal. first thing in the morning. (I'm terrible about eating breakfast... I usually get involved in one project or another and don't surface until noon.)

Well, have to start my day. I have to look up some new recipes to try for next week and have to scout out a couple of scholarship opportunities... no, it never ends... lol.

Enjoy your day!

cemk52 01-17-2013 04:48 AM

Ate 1269 calories yesterday. Did my joint tune up swim class but could't get motivated to get to the gym. Still struggling to get the water in.

Mern, good luck to you on your new program.

amalthea1892 01-17-2013 05:33 AM

Goals for Monday – Friday:

Loads of water: Sorta, Y, Need to focus on this more...
Vitamin daily: Y, Y, N, Y
Monitor portion sizes: Y, Y, N
Eat real food (90% is a Y): N, Y, NO
12 min workout, 3 days this week: Tue, Thu
Don’t stress over work…: NO, No, better!, Yes

I got way too hungry during the day yesterday so when DH called from the gym at 5pm and said "why don't I just pick something up" I caved and said Great! Drive thru - Ug - I am paying for it today big time. But I did good by tossing out 1/2 a pan of frosted brownies and the last few slices of pineapple upside-down cake (all from entertaining earlier in the week). And I kicked butt at the gym this morning! I love the 12 minute workout I found!!! Plus free weights and some more core exercises on top of it all and I am not dreading the gym like I used to.

Mern 01-17-2013 08:18 AM

I'm changing my dinner menu due to wanting a turkey burger patty instead of salmon. And at lunch I changed up my veggies due to needing to finish up the low carb veggie soup. BUT I'll be in on target on all my goals if I follow what I now have pre-logged. :)

Quinn, kudos on getting your scale to move again!!! :) Funny how sometimes it's necessary to add calories to do that. Best wishes on the scholarship opportunities.

Caty nice job on the calories and joint tune up. Water is a struggle for me, too and I'm trying harder today but also making trips to the bathroom to "drain" a lot more often. Thanks for your good wishes on starting my new program.

Ama, well, good job on the vitamins, kick-butt workout and not stressing. Kudos on tossing out the brownies and cake.

blkblueanimegrl 01-17-2013 11:26 AM

I'm baaaaack (sorta...) :)

I'm here! And still alive! Though barely lol

Nyda, thanks for the advice! I saw this post today and actually went and saw my doctor yesterday. Yup! It is the flu, but I am on a flu pill regimen thing, lol. I am thankfully starting to feel much better, as it is starting to turn into a cold than the aches and pains and fever (etc...) I was dealing with. Not fun!!

On some good random news?? I'll be flying out to Denver, CO next weekend for a final interview with a prospective job! My friend, who works there, already thinks I'm in, and is extremely happy that I'll be moving down there with him! I'm just soo excited for this change! I haven't been able to find a job since I graduated with my undergrad. So I'll keep going with my grad degree and a (hopefully) full time job with benefits!

And another positive note?? He's just as into training and does marathons, so he as designated me his "gym" partner lol :) Yay! Someone to work out with!

I've started drinking a lot more water for the trip. Today I'm at 2 liters, and I want at least another half liter before bed.

But there's my check-in lol

It's so nice to see new people! You'll love these guys; they're awesome stuff!! :D

Mern 01-17-2013 01:01 PM

Krystal, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Awesome news about the prospective job and having a friend who works there! Kudos on the water intake. And I'm glad you enjoy our group. :)

bojibridge 01-17-2013 02:40 PM

1.) Less than or around 1400 calories/day: M - Y, T - Y, W - Y, Th - Y
2.) Follow C25k program: M - Y, T - off, W - off (sort of - I'm reorganizing my workout routine, but I did exercise!), Th - exercised
3.) Walk to car at least x4: M - Y, T - Y, W - Y, Th - Y x2
4.) Drink 64 oz. water/day: M - Y, T - Y, W - I think so, Th - not quite
5.) Figure out basal rates (pronto): um...

My new exercise regime is great, but more sore muscles are causing my weight to go the wrong direction :( I know these things happen, but it's still annoying.

01gt4.6 01-17-2013 03:58 PM

Slacker number one checking it. I finally got in from work about a 1/2 hour ago. Busy and long day. Kicks in the pants to the other slackers, cyber pants on the back and dancing bananas to those doing well and a big welcome to the new members!

We finally got some decent, but cold weather. I'm going to knocked out 5 miles before this damn week is up!

jjrudd 01-18-2013 12:13 AM

Ate poorly yesterday--way too many carbs. The only thing in the yes column would be I worked out for 25 min in the afternoon plus lugging in groceries in the morning.

Jenn

cjohnson728 01-18-2013 01:14 AM

So frustrating to try to log on these days; I have to clear my whole cache each time, and then I lose a lot of saved stuff from home and work. When I have time tonight I will catch up. I've been doing really well except there is no telling how to log yesterday's lunch. I was taken out and it was a given that we would all have the buffet, and I have no idea how things were prepared. I stuck to proteins and veggies, but things were in sauces (though not creamy ones); hmm. So yesterday will be a mulligan as far as logging's concerned.

Well, have to start some reports, so hopefully I can check back in later. Hope you all have a great weekend and a wonderful Friday!

cemk52 01-18-2013 01:48 AM

So far so good for my first week. Had 1222 calories yesterday. Breakdown as follows: Fat 47 grams, carbs 110 grams and protein 63 grams. Today is the gym, joint tune up class and 1.5 hours of physical therapy. I'm tired already.

dmartz 01-18-2013 01:54 AM

Thurs.

• Cholesterol < 250 mg/day: 144, 35, 117, 0 (Zero? could be ...)
  • Lift weights @ gym > 30 mins: Y
  • Exercise @ Home > 30 mins x 2: Y(50 mins)
  • Eat Vegetables > 3 servings/day: N(1), Y(4), Y(3), N(0)
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 39, 46, 81, 48,
  • Total Calories < 1750 / day: 1206, 1550, 1888, 1725
  • Less Sugar intake (subjective): N, ~, Y, ~
  • Be less obsessive (subjective): ~, Y, Y, Y
All this week Fitday has been intermittent, and now my internet connection is intermittent. I believe the water main replacement crew nicked the cable. So now both the cable, the water, and the roads have seriously degraded quality. I hope there's a vast improvement when construction is done. Still can use my cel phone to log, though.

Yesterday was a weird eating day for me. Lots of fruit, a multigrain baguette, apple butter, and a protein bar after a trip to the gym. In retrospect, maybe I'm becoming a vegetarian after all, at least part-time.

- Donna

P.S. I bet the Fitday service problems are driving some people away. Certainly hope it wasn't my inappropriate comments (Hope!)

Mern 01-18-2013 02:01 AM

Report for Day 1 of 21 Day Metabolism Makeover
Some of my goals are the plan's and some are for my own particular health management

Follow plan guidelines for meal/snack content and spacing, calories, fat, exercise YES
Calorie minimum 1200 1401
Sat fat limit 10% of total calories 10%
Net carb limit 25g 24g
Fiber minimum 25g 36g
Dietary cholesterol under 250mg per day 205mg
Protein 120g 145g
Water 64 oz. (I can't do the plan's 96 oz.) YES
Exercise 5 days (I won't do plan's 6 days) DAY OFF

Today's menu:

Breakfast: zero cholesterol egg substitute veggie omelet with roasted red pepper sauce

Morning Snack: protein shake

Lunch: roast beef chef salad with ranch dressing

Mid-afternoon snack: protein shake

Dinner: baked cod (changed from roasted pork tenderloin) sweet & sour cucumbers, asparagus

Evening snack: no preservative sliced turkey breast and a wedge of light Laughing Cow Cheese

cjohnson728 01-18-2013 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by dmartz (Post 94466)
P.S. I bet the Fitday service problems are driving some people away.

I fear you might be right. I am pretty much a die-hard FitDay-er and I've been avoiding it.

Here is some info from admin...they are working on the issues:

Since the weekend, we have had an unprecedented load on our database as new users have signed up and started logging food in droves. This is of course excellent But has caused a few problems with keeping up with the demand. We actually added a brand new server box on Monday, and the tech team continues to troubleshoot issues with getting it fully synched with the rest of the servers (which is why some issues may be sporadic-- if a user logs in and happens to get the twitchy server, they may see issues; they they may log out & log back in and hit the old servers and be fine).

So I'm preaching patience (trying to practice it, too!) and thanking everyone for hanging in there :).

bojibridge 01-18-2013 02:10 AM

I only had issues that first day - since then, I guess I've been lucky to get the old servers! Hope it gets resolved soon.

Mern 01-18-2013 04:58 AM

Busy day and don't have time to address everyone individually, but I'm rooting everyone on.

Thanks to all for your encouragement on my trial of a new way of eating to help speed up my metabolism.

Joanna, kudos on the new exercise routine.

Cassie, thanks for the info on the logging in difficulties.

Donna, so sorry for your difficulties since the water main work. Zero cholesterol--LOL--that ought to knock the socks off your blood cholesterol numbers. Seriously, though, best wishes on your success. I'd soooo much like to see progress in my triglyceride numbers in March.

Caty, you're off to a really good start. Congrats on that.

Jenn, well, kudos on the workout and grocery lugging! :)

Gotta go pick up a grandkid from school.

jjrudd 01-18-2013 06:28 AM

Good reports Donna, Caty and Mern!
Thanks for the update on the log in issues Cassie. Frustrating but at least we are living with it.
Jenn

Mern 01-18-2013 07:57 AM

Hi, Jenn! Thanks for your encouragement. I feel like a ping pong ball bouncing around here--was told at one point the last post of this thread was 7:28PM today and it's not even 4PM here. :p But I'll try to be patient--at least I've gotten on to log my reports and checked in a couple times.

Mern 01-18-2013 01:54 PM

Done eating for the day so posting this while I'll have the opportunity--since I made it onto FitDay in only three tries. :p

Day 2 of 21 Day Metabolism Makeover
Some of my goals are the plan's and some are for my own particular health mReport for Day 1anagement

Follow plan guidelines for meal/snack content and spacing, calories, fat, etc. YES, YES
Calorie minimum 1200 1401, 1355
Sat fat limit 10% of total calories 10%, 10% again
Net carb limit 25g 24g. 25g
Fiber minimum 25g 36g, 34g
Dietary cholesterol under 250mg per day 205mg, 242mg
Protein 120g 145g, 158g
Water 64 oz. (I can't do the plan's 96 oz.) YES, YES
Exercise 5 days (I won't do plan's 6 days) DAY OFF, NO

ToriD1012 01-18-2013 03:35 PM

No time for a full reply, but just wanted to check in to keep my Check in and Post goal. Today went pretty well....I'm calling it a win. Will try to catch y'all tomorrow. Ciao

socornish 01-18-2013 10:10 PM

This is the third year I have been on this site but I start all enthused but give up so easily. I need to really commit again as health suffering, no energy and look like shite !

All your daily goals are same as mine. Will seek inspiration here. Any tips gratefully received - my downfall is bottle of wine a night ! ;)

Start weight - 167.4
Target - 150
Height 5' 10"
Age 51

dmartz 01-19-2013 12:44 AM

Fri.

• Cholesterol < 250 mg/day: 144, 35, 117, 0, 132
  • Lift weights @ gym > 30 mins: Y
  • Exercise @ Home > 30 mins x 2: Y(50 mins), Y(30 m.)
  • Eat Vegetables > 3 servings/day: N(1), Y(4), Y(3), N(0), Y(3)
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 39, 46, 81, 48, 59
  • Total Calories < 1750 / day: 1206, 1550, 1888, 1725, 1610
  • Less Sugar intake (subjective): N, ~, Y, ~, ~
  • Be less obsessive (subjective): ~, Y, Y, Y, Y
Friday was pretty good. Ate beets, cauliflower, carrots and not too much chocolate.

- Donna

dmartz 01-19-2013 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by socornish (Post 94501)
This is the third year I have been on this site but I start all enthused but give up so easily. I need to really commit again as health suffering, no energy and look like shite !

All your daily goals are same as mine. Will seek inspiration here. Any tips gratefully received - my downfall is bottle of wine a night ! ;)

Start weight - 167.4
Target - 150
Height 5' 10"
Age 51

Welcome scornish. From your height and weight info, looks like you may just need to exercise more. That get harder at our age. :o And perhaps try switching to water after a few glasses of wine, or alternate wine, water, wine. It will help with the dehydration alcohol can cause.

- Donna

bojibridge 01-19-2013 01:21 AM

For yesterday:
1.) Less than or around 1400 calories/day: M - Y, T - Y, W - Y, Th - Y, F - Y
2.) Follow C25k program: M - Y, T - off, W - off (sort of - I'm reorganizing my workout routine, but I did exercise!), Th - exercised, F - no exercise
3.) Walk to car at least x4: M - Y, T - Y, W - Y, Th - Y x2, F - N
4.) Drink 64 oz. water/day: M - Y, T - Y, W - I think so, Th - not quite, F - not quite
5.) Figure out basal rates (pronto): good enough

Robingen 01-19-2013 01:30 AM

I have not really had any log in issues. Not sure why that is. I see it's been a problem for some.

I have been too busy to post much but I have been reading the posts some and it motivates me.

I am motoring along with my goals- nothing really to report. Goals are the same and going fine. My exercise has been regular if not very intense.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Welcome socornish!

Robin

limarose 01-19-2013 02:04 AM

Just started to Get back on track

Hi I'm trying to get motivated and be back on track.
I came up with some goals and made them into a cute poster, printed them and put them on Flickr if you want to see....click HERE