FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread for 12/31/12 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/8829-7-day-motivational-thread-12-31-12-a.html)

jjrudd 12-31-2012 02:55 AM

7 Day Motivational Thread for 12/31/12

Hi Everyone. Tomorrow is the start of a brand New Year!
I will start us off with my goals

1. Drink 6 glasses of water
2. Eat more veggies (really slacked off at holidays so I won't put specific number)
3. Eat sensibly
4. Exercise 3X

Because we are still eating leftovers (appetizers left from Christmas which we didn't eat and will be having tonight) I'm not sure how logging will go but I will do it. Thankfully weighed myself this morning and I'm only up 1lb.

RESOLUTIONS
1. write, including making time to journal
2. accept the things that I can't change
3. start seeing myself as others do

Jenn

cjohnson728 12-31-2012 03:27 AM

Hi Jenn, I'm in as well. I will give my goals some thought; need to decide whether to keep it simple or get back to structure. Thanks for starting us off, and Happy New Year to everyone!

Robingen 12-31-2012 03:59 AM

Is it weekly?

I'm like you Cassie -did not decide on goals. I'll have to think about that.

It's going to be really hard for me to keep up workouts and eating homecooked once I get back to work Wednesday it's gonna be busy.

Did a one hour snow shoe today, breaking trail after yesterdays 40 cm storm. Went with my neighbour, who is retired. She's hard to keep up with. Even the dog is tired!

Robin

canary52 12-31-2012 04:05 AM

Thanks for starting us, Jenn!!

I too am up one pound (friend's birthday celebration last night.) I like to your attitude. I weighed myself and was like "Bummer, I'm up a pound." Whereas you were "Hey I'm only up a pound." Glass half full? I think so.

I am taking today off (well mostly tonight off) because I want to give myself celebration space and because I have been pretty restrained this holiday season (OK there were some cheats but I think there has to be, for me anyway.)

Resolutions:
1) Write
2) Send things out
3) No more excuses
4) Listen more
5) Serenity prayer: change the things I can, accept the things I can't, wisdom to know the difference

So glad you all are here, so grateful to you all, Jenn, Cassie and Robin. Let's rock into the New Year!!! To quote one of my favorite musicians: "A Happy New Year. Let's hope it's a good one without any fear."

canary52 12-31-2012 04:15 AM

Goals:
1) Stretch every day
2) 6 glasses of water minimum every day
3) Plan meals (except 12/31)
4) Stick close to plan (except 12/31)
5) 1600 calories max (except 12/31)
6) WRITE
7) Practice Spanish
8) Incorporate more creativity into my life
9) Listen more
10) Do not JADE (justify/argue/defend/explain)

canary52 12-31-2012 04:47 AM

You know what? What the heck...
Ate:
egg white omelet with goat cheese, green onions and avocado

Plan
chicken and cucumber
whitefish salad
lobster
whole wheat past or garlic bread and veg
Other
fruit
nuts
slice of orange cake (small)
Fruit salad
and frankly whatever sort of attracts me at the party hopefully in small amounts
CHAMPAGNE and possibly other libations

Not gonna lie

cjohnson728 12-31-2012 04:58 AM

Good to see you, Hope, Robin!

Robin, sounds like you had quite the workout! They say snowshoeing burns a ton of calories, and I'm glad you had a workout buddy, too. I agree...once the work routine starts again, it's harder to keep up, but I've done it before and I will again. Sometimes I do better on the days I work at home and sometimes I do better when I go into the office.

Hope, I love the way you push yourself to broaden your horizons every week. It is inspiring. I'm glad your menu planning is working. Enjoy your celebration tonight!

Jenn, your resolutions are brief but powerful. Give it all you've got ;).

Well, I decided that it would be good to get back to a structure, so here are the goals...tried and true, or I guess back to the basics so I can get back into my good habits.

1. Calories 1200 max.
2. Exercise 6 days this week.
3. 64 oz. fluids daily.
4. Eat clean.
5. Take vitamins and supplements.

6. Write out master list for catch-up tasks & plan no later than Monday night...
7. ...and stick to the plan!
8. Take the boy driving (and parking).

Okay! Let's make it happen!

canary52 12-31-2012 05:27 AM

Cassie, thanks for yoiur kind words, as always.

I love your goals. Driving with the child; oooh I remember only too well my foot stomping on my imaginary break (kinda still do it.)

So glad you're back on and I agree: structure helps.

Happy New Year, honey!!!

cjohnson728 12-31-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 93532)
Cassie, thanks for yoiur kind words, as always.

I love your goals. Driving with the child; oooh I remember only too well my foot stomping on my imaginary break (kinda still do it.)

So glad you're back on and I agree: structure helps.

Happy New Year, honey!!!

Right back atcha, chickadee! So looking forward to chatting with everyone again and hopefully seeing some old friends climb back on the wagon. This group is truly amazing and I appreciate everyone's support, stories, sharing, and frustration tolerance! I'm coming up on 3 years on FitDay and although the tools are useful, the forums are golden.

I don't really make resolutions for New Year's...my perception is that I can decide to start something or make a change any day of the year. However, I did come across something that I posted in the Off Topic section that asks you to think of one word that you will try to have color everything you do in 2013. I think I'm going to have to go with "balance." This seemingly simple task, to come up with a word, was very thought-provoking.

Lack of resolutions notwithstanding, I did spend the weekend cleaning and organizing the kitchen...fridge, freezer, pantry, cabinets, and drawers. Hopefully I can carry the "fresh start" motif into the new year and build on it. I have gotten lazy about my good habits; I know I can do better, and I know I deserve better.

jjrudd 12-31-2012 11:40 PM

Goals
1. Drink 6 glasses of water NO
2. Eat more veggies (really slacked off at holidays so I won't put specific number) 2 veggies and one fruit, a good start
3. Eat sensibly NO--ate too much
4. Exercise 3X

Too many carbs yesterday but I will try to aim lower today.

Got a new e-reader for Christmas so I'm going to see if there are any good cookbooks available (it's a Sony). Proud of myself for figuring out how to use it on my own!

Jenn

canary52 01-01-2013 03:08 AM

I find it funny tht the last day of the year we make resolutions and some of us wake up on the first day of the next year hungover and/or nauseous. I am in the nauseous category - ate way too much... let's nor even talk about the beef in beer..or the two pound lobster (WITH butter, of course, and garlic bread which I dipped in butter...)

Cassie, I agree that you can start over at any time but I love something about the ritual of resolutions, IDK. All I know is I cannot sum up my goal for the year in one word but can in two: NO Excuses!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or maybe DO it!!!!

cjohnson728 01-01-2013 03:09 AM

Jenn, hope you enjoy your e-reader. I always thought that would be great for recipes. I hate dragging my laptop into the kitchen but I hate to waste printing it if it's not going to be a keeper. And good job figuring it out! Sometimes it truly boggles me how far technology has come.

Monday check in:

1. Calories 1200 max. 1089
2. Exercise 6 days this week.
3. 64 oz. fluids daily. Yes
4. Eat clean. Mostly
5. Take vitamins and supplements. Forgot calcium

6. Write out master list for catch-up tasks & plan no later than Monday night... I did not do this
7. ...and stick to the plan! But I made progress on this
8. Take the boy driving (and parking). Driving today

cjohnson728 01-01-2013 03:11 AM

Hope, your two-word phrases just about sum it up. It sounds like you had a fun evening...now it's time to turn the page. Feel better!

canary52 01-01-2013 03:12 AM

Goals:
1) Stretch every day -yes
2) 6 glasses of water minimum every day- ?
3) Plan meals (except 12/31) -yes hahahahah
4) Stick close to plan (except 12/31)-hahahaha
5) 1600 calories max (except 12/31)-hahahaha
6) WRITE- NO :(
7) Practice Spanish NO:(
8) Incorporate more creativity into my life: a bit with my cake
9) Listen more -NO
10) Do not JADE (justify/argue/defend/explain) NO

Sooooo, a great start in that I can only go up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canary52 01-01-2013 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 93549)
Hope, your two-word phrases just about sum it up. It sounds like you had a fun evening...now it's time to turn the page. Feel better!

Thank you!!! I love your on word summary: balance. YES!!! So important.

How did you keep your calories so low? You are my heroine.

canary52 01-01-2013 03:16 AM

Jenn, an e reader for recipes. Never even thought of it on my Nook but it's a great idea.

cjohnson728 01-01-2013 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 93551)
How did you keep your calories so low? You are my heroine.

Because I ate too much on Sunday and felt queasy the first 2/3 of the day yesterday...not exactly heroine material, lol!

canary52 01-01-2013 03:19 AM

Plan:
egg whites and nitrite free ham
turkey sandwich on sf local bread
chicken or fish and veg
Snacks: fruit salad
slice of toast

Have been trying to avoid bread but it helps settle my tummy sometimes and I find the sugar free ones in moderation are OK.

Mern 01-01-2013 10:22 AM

No exercise today but on track with food and supplements. Oops--not water--forgot but will try to get in another 24 oz. before bed.

Didn't log but was careful in my food choices and portions:

Food today was:
--spinach egg substitute omelet with roasted red pepper sauce
--tuna salad on low carb wrap with ranch dressing instead of mayo
--chocolate mocha banana almond flaxmeal muffin
--vegetarian veggie soup
--sauteed haddock and oven roasted celery which was very stringy but still tasty
--a couple pieces sugar free dark chocolate

Back to logging and reporting tomorrow.

canary52 01-01-2013 02:36 PM

Wow Mern your diet was great. Mine was Ok (turkey sandwich) until I went out to dinner and ate two metballs each one the size of my head, Greek salad and some french fries. Heavy sigh.

Plan tomorrow: (may be tough DD and I are doing mother/daughter theatre bonding)
egg white, ham
fruit
turkey burger or chicken on salad (or veggie pizza)
fish and veg
nuts
apple

canary52 01-01-2013 02:40 PM

Goals:
1) Stretch every day -yes, yes
2) 6 glasses of water minimum every day- ? 6
3) Plan meals (except 12/31) -yes hahahahah, yes
4) Stick close to plan (except 12/31)-hahahaha; once again, hahahahaaha
5) 1600 calories max (except 12/31)-hahahaha 1530
6) WRITE- NO :( Yes some
7) Practice Spanish NO:( yes
8) Incorporate more creativity into my life: a bit with my cake no
9) Listen more -NO didn't come up
10) Do not JADE (justify/argue/defend/explain) NO yes

Better...

bedrik 01-01-2013 10:39 PM

Yes lots of people provides good things here.

canary52 01-01-2013 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 93553)
Because I ate too much on Sunday and felt queasy the first 2/3 of the day yesterday...not exactly heroine material, lol!

You ate too much Sunday but didn't repeat it Monday. Pretty heroic I say. I ate too much Sunday and did fine the first part of the day (also queasy) and finished not so well...

jjrudd 01-02-2013 12:05 AM

Goals
1. Drink 6 glasses of water Mon NO, Tues 5--not quite but closer
2. Eat more veggies (really slacked off at holidays so I won't put specific number) Mon--2 veggies and one fruit, a good start, Tues 3 again 3. Eat sensibly Mon NO--ate too much,
Tues-yes 45 carbs per meal!
4. Exercise 3X NO both days

Jenn

Mern 01-02-2013 01:44 AM

Hope, well, you don't eat French fries every day, so we'll let you go without a beating for yesterday. LOL Ooh, your turkey burger scheduled for today is inspiring. I think I'll stop by the grocery and get some before lunch. What is a theater bonding? I love your goals. My water intake has been so bad lately that I can't even squeeze out one of your hahahahas. Oh, my-do not JADE is a tough one for me. I'm sure I about bring my husband to tears over that sometimes--once I get started it's hard to shut myself up.

Bedrick, hi. Looking forward to your posts here. :)

Jenn, I have to work on my water, too.

Back to my goals that I know work well for me. Fresh new start today with my regular dental checkup and teeth cleaning plus new resolve on eating healthfully. Upping my calories to see if it increases my metabolism any; a dietitian told me last year that my weight of well over 200 lbs. my calorie deficit may be too high, possibly causing me to stay on a plateau because my body wants to hang on to calories--that starvation mode thing. So, new start today and my weekly goals will be:

Calorie limit 1800
Net carbs (carbs less fiber) average 25g
Fiber average 25g
Protein average 120g
Sat fat average 10% of daily calories
Cholesterol daily 250mg or less
Water 64 oz.
Exercise 5 days per week
Try at least one new recipe or food per week

Today's menu:

Breakfast: flaxmeal muffin and protein shake
Lunch: turkey burger on a low carb tortilla and a side of cooked spinach
Dinner: low carb pasta with marinara and ground veggie burger, cooked broccoli
Snacks: almonds; nuked "faux oatmeal" of flaxmeal, banana protein powder and water; and maybe will try my idea of celery stuffed with canned salmon and horseradish sauce or ranch dressing

cjohnson728 01-02-2013 04:04 AM

Morning, all, will catch up with logging soon...had a lot of homemade leftovers yesterday that were new recipes and I haven't taken the time to calculate out the nutrition. Might be a bit over from the pasta sauce I had for dinner (vodka, cream, crushed tomatoes) and the shrimp chowder for lunch :rolleyes:. In retrospect, both of those on the same day was probably not a good idea.

Mern, there is something comforting about going back to what you know works, isn't there? I also am looking forward to getting back into some good habits.

Will check in with y'all later, after some work and driving :D.

Mern 01-02-2013 05:02 AM

Cassie, that's something about which I need to be more vigilant: some diet-friendly foods that I should not eat on the same day with other diet-friendly foods--like a whole low carb tortilla or half an avocado on the same day as low carb pasta. I like it when I can go back to what I know works, but when I can add a new twist that may be of help.

Jenn and Hope, are you drinking your water? I'm going to fill up my water bottle right now.

amalthea1892 01-02-2013 06:05 AM

Happy New Year Ya’ll!

I am trying to pull myself out of the carb-induced stupor of the last 2 weeks and psych myself up to follow at least a few well rounded goals for the remainder of this week…

- Get real (aka eat only real food):
- Drink loads of water:
- Shun any and all remaining goodies (at home and work):

Maybe I’ll be brave enough to weigh in next week… :o

For those of you who have hit the ground running this week WAY TO GO!!! For those of you who are struggling, big big hugs to you :)! I hope to catch-up with the thread soon - have a great week everyone!

bojibridge 01-02-2013 06:41 AM

Hey folks, sorry I was AWOL over the holidays, but I'm back now. I'm in Florida, but heading back to the frigid north tonight. I've kept up with my C25K runs, so that's good. I think my friend has almost convinced me to do the Chicago half-marathon in September, but we'll see. I think I've gained a lot over the holidays, unfortunately. Here's to figuring out my malaise.

jjrudd 01-02-2013 07:08 AM

Welcome back Ama and Joanna!!
I think we all ate too much over the holiday period. We will settle back into a routine soon!
Mern--I went and had a glass after I read your admonishment :P

Jenn

amalthea1892 01-02-2013 01:46 PM

- Get real (aka eat only real food): Mostly - just one Reece's peanut butter cup (mini 70 cal)
- Drink loads of water: Y
- Shun any and all remaining goodies (at home and work): see above...

cjohnson728 01-02-2013 05:00 PM

1. Calories 1200 max. 1089, ?? Haven't calculated my recipes yet, 1161
2. Exercise 6 days this week. One, Two
3. 64 oz. fluids daily. Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Eat clean. Mostly, Mostly, Mostly
5. Take vitamins and supplements. Forgot calcium, Yes, Forgot calcium again

6. Write out master list for catch-up tasks & plan no later than Monday night... I did not do this Did it Tuesday
7. ...and stick to the plan! But I made progress on this Working on it, Still working on it
8. Take the boy driving (and parking). Driving today, Drove today also

Joanna, Ama, glad to see you on this side of the holidays. Happy new year!

jjrudd 01-02-2013 11:51 PM

Finally got 6 glasses of water in yesterday! :)
Haven't been grocery shopping yet so running low on fruits and veggies.
Hope to get some exercise in today. No excuse yesterday!

Jenn

Mern 01-03-2013 01:18 AM

With managing my blood sugar and cholesterol through diet alone and with calories coming from only protein, fat, and carbs, it's really hard to increase my calories from 1600 to 1800 to try to help speed up my metabolism without also increasing my carbs, saturated fat, and/or cholesterol. So I'm changing my calorie target to a "range" and will work on it week by week until I figure out how to do it. I think the key may be to putting in a lot more work and pre-logging my planned menu into the nutrition tracker.

Reports beginning Jan 2

Wednesday report

Calorie range 1650-1800 almost--1622
Net carbs (carbs less fiber) average 25g 21
Fiber average 25g a whopping 57g
Protein average 120g a whopping 180g
Sat fat average 10% of daily calories 10%
Cholesterol daily 250mg or less 184mg
Water 64 oz. YES
Exercise 5 days per week DAY OFF
Try at least one new recipe or food per week NOT YET

Mern 01-03-2013 01:39 AM

Ama, carbs are the hardest for me to control during the holidays, too. Congrats on really awesome and sensible goals to ease yourself back into a more healthful eating routing. We know you can do it. :) Reece's peanut butter cups ARE real--real yummy. :p All kidding aside, kudos on your restraint--that's real progress.

Jaonna! Hi! Wonderful that you were in Florida! It's 31 degrees in frigid Ohio as I type this and I'll bet PA isn't much better. Best wishes in the new year as you "figuring out your malaise" to and sum up the courage to do that September half-marathon. We know YOU can do it, too. :)

Jenn, the reminder about the water was more encouragement than admonishment--or more honestly "misery loves company." LOL I DETEST having to drink so much water as my body never adjusts as people say. I was up three times last night to drain. Kudos on getting all yours in, too. I don't feel like exercising, but will promise you I'll do it today, tomorrow, and Saturday.

Cassie, great reports this week! Way to go! I forgot--when can your son get his regular license to drive alone?

OK--gotta go eat breakfast and then on to pre-planning and pre-logging the rest of my day. Bothers me to have to concentrate so much on food, though...

Robingen 01-03-2013 01:51 AM

Hi Everyone

Well back to work and everything changes (less time) although yesterday my excuse was that it was MINUS 31 degrees with the windchill. I think I did good to make it to work lol and get gas. No outside exercise for me and didn't feel like making a trip to the pool or gym either. Ate good though- at least I can do that.

Some of you are cutting your carbs a lot. I think it's good and I wish I could but really not there yet.

Drinking water is fine though, because I really don't drink anything else (other than am coffee).

Best wishes to all on you journey for 2013.

Mern 01-03-2013 02:33 AM

Well, I've still got a lot of work to do on my menu today. Got everything logged with a bunch of food and still am only a little over 1200 calories with protein higher than doc likes, carbs OK (just .8g over) sat fat and cholesterol nicely in line. I don't know how to eat 1800 calories and still keep my blood sugar and cholesterol normal without meds. :confused: :( I guess I'll have to do more research to find a way--so freakin' annoying I could just scream.

Robin, I got cold just READING your post! Minus 31! Way to go on your food intake! :) Best wishes on your carb cutting--it just takes practice but once you get rid of the cravings it's a lot easier. Wonderful that you're so good on your water. :) Bests wishes to you in 2013, too.

jjrudd 01-03-2013 02:39 AM

Mern, I had to laugh at your having to get up 3 times to drain! Yeah, my body never adjusts either.
I hear you on how much you have to concentrate on food. I haven't adjusted to that either--especially as I have to watch carbs and protein. Thankfully my glucose level has been in the normal range again after eating too many carbs over the holidays.

Jenn

canary52 01-03-2013 03:24 AM

Wow, this thread has gotten busy again!! Glad to see Joanna and Ama back, hope to see contributions from new people and hello to the gang!!!

Mern, I am so glad my turkey burger inspired you but I didn't have it!!! The waiter advised against it so I had a beef burger WITH bun (it was small) and a salad (instead of fries.)

I really blew it at dinner tho: Chinese food. Dumplings, noodles, shrimp and veg. Bad choice for me, and for DD. Then when we came home, I ate: turkey and cheese, a little couscous, cocoa almonds - more than my usual 12 or so. So I am hanging my head and then lifting it to say: new day.

So, Robin I have to get back to my carb watch, I feel better eating lower carb. And man, girl, that's cold. I cannot stand the cold anymore. Joanna, I am with you in spirit and hope to be in the Caribbean in body and spirit soon.

Mern, our mother/daughter theatre bonding: we went to see a play, had lunch and dinner and went shopping: FUN.

canary52 01-03-2013 03:26 AM

Goals:
1) Stretch every day -yes, yes, yes
2) 6 glasses of water minimum every day- ? 6 ?
3) Plan meals (except 12/31) -yes hahahahah, yes, yes
4) Stick close to plan (except 12/31)-hahahaha; once again, hahahahaaha, NO
5) 1600 calories max (except 12/31)-hahahaha 1530 ?
6) WRITE- NO :( Yes some No
7) Practice Spanish NO:( yes No
8) Incorporate more creativity into my life: a bit with my cake no, no
9) Listen more -NO didn't come up YES
10) Do not JADE (justify/argue/defend/explain) NO yes, yes