Notices

Motivation and Support - 2/22 to 2/29

Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default Motivation and Support - 2/22 to 2/29

It's sunny in southern Ontario this morning and it feels like Spring. I am finally feeling up to doing some exercise today and getting into a routine of regular activity and eating a healthy diet. We have five more weeks in the Spring Challenge so give it all you've got.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

I overdid it this weekend. Not sure how my challenge weigh-in will go. I'm mostly on track, but weekends are tough for me. Especially when my daughter bakes cookies. I cannot for the life of me say no to baked treats. I don't know all what else messed me up. Mostly a little here and there.

Huge win, though. I was up all night until about 4:45 this morning, and I didn't eat a single thing all night! That has to be a first for me to have insomnia and not eat!!! yea me!

Today I am back on track.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning, everyone!

I'm continuing on fairly well. Last week I stayed on track diet-wise, but didn't get in much walking. The cold temps and snow continue here for us. Libby, I'm so jealous of your spring-like weather! I know my mood will change when my taxes and FAFSA are complete, the temps and weather improve and I can get outside to walk more. Saturday, we were in the mid 40's, (...which is great for us) but it's back down to the 20's for the foreseeable future. =(

One thing I did learn is although mall walking is fine for most, fast walking on concrete for 45-60 minutes/day is tough on the joints. Give me the outdoors any day!

Progress is right on track. Since January 11th, I'm down 11 pounds. =) 4 more to go to hit my comfortable maintenance weight and a 15 lb. weight loss. Last night for the first time, I caved in to cravings, and chowed down on take-out pizza. Kept it under control, as much as possible, by ordering a veggie pizza and tried to limit my intake. We'll see what the scale says. lol

I'll still be working on year-end paperwork, but I'll check in now and then.

Have a great week, all!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:05 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning, Fitday Friends!

Well, this is going to be a rather difficult post to make, especially so early in the thread. But it's something I've been thinking about for a while, so I suppose I should just come out with it.

Effective March 1, I am suspending my participation on the forums (geez, that sounds like some sort of bad political campaign-speak... ).

It's not you, it's me (geez, that sounds like some sort of bad break-up line...).

In all seriousness, though, while I thoroughly enjoy all your company and reading all your comments and stories, I'm not sure this is helping me. As most of you know, I'm a slow loser. A REALLY slow loser. Normally, I'm not a competitive person. For some reason, however, weight loss brings out a competitive streak in me and it makes me uncomfortable and sad. Uncomfortable because I really don't like competition, especially involuntary competition. Sad, because mostly it's me realizing that I'm never going to do as well as everyone else (involuntary competition). No matter how hard I try or how well I stick with my plan, I'm a loser at being a loser.

Since the beginning of February, I've lost about 1.5 pounds. According to the scale, I'm fairly close to "normal" BMI (although my mirror would disagree) after having been inches away from what BMI categorizes as "morbidly obese" (I HATE that term, by the way). I have lost close to 80 pounds, but it has been so slow that I didn't even realize the total loss until a few weeks ago. According to my medical reports, my health is excellent. All stats (except weight) are within the "normal" range. Heck, I haven't even had a cold in more than a decade. And, as a final point, I know that, the closer one gets to goal weight, the fewer "pounds per week" one loses.

The rational side of me understands and accepts all that. But the emotional side of me sees other people losing buckets of weight, sometimes despite not sticking to their programs as well as they'd like. The emotional Epi laments, "why not me??? I wanna lose X pounds a week, too!" On Mondays, I'm usually pretty pleased with my weigh-ins until I check the forums and see how well other people have done. Then, my little 1/4 pound sounds like nothing. Nothing to celebrate, nothing be proud of. Nothing to see here, move along.

It doesn't mean I'm not absolutely thrilled for others. I am. I rejoice in every pound lost by everyone who wants to lose. I'm incredibly proud of all of you!

But I'm feeling participation is counter-productive for me, personally. I need to feel good about my progress if I'm going to continue. I still have a long, long road ahead of me. At the rate I lose, it could take another year. That's not a happy thought, honestly. And so, I'm thinking perhaps I should just go it alone so I'm not as tempted to compare myself to others (and come up lacking).

Of course, I'll continue to stick with my program. I really like the strategies I've been using. They feel organic. I really don't "think" about "dieting" -- this is my new way of life. Nothing is forbidden; I simply make sure that every credit has a debit. Balance. I'll continue to log my foods and weight. None of that will change, at least not in the near future.

And I'll check in on y'all periodically (I hope you don't mind). I'm just not sure I can participate much. Maybe in a year or so, when I've finally hit BMI 25. Then, I'll have something I can talk about .

Whew, I hope this wasn't too much of a downer. Sorry 'bout that, folks. Carry on and make it a GREAT week!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

Epixi, You have done so well and I am sure that you will continue to do so.
Thank you for supporting me and others on this site. Come back when you can and know that we would be happy to have you back any time.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Epixi: I totally understand your train of thought. I've lost a lot and have about 75 more pounds to lose and it seems like it's taking me two forevers to get those last pounds off regardless of how much I work out, what I eat or don't eat! I finally decided that if at the end of each day I could honestly say I have eaten according to my plan and exercised according to my goals, then that day has been a success! My Lifestyle Coach urged me to keep my current food plan & exercise plan and to realize that plateaus & slowed weight loss are just part of the journey. (If the current plans ever do not give me a loss for a consistent 6 weeks, then my nutritionist and I will hammer out another plan.)
I wish you well and thanks for all the encouragement you've given me!

Only lost 0.8 this past week--not what I'd like to see, but it IS a loss! Vicki
Old 02-24-2016, 06:32 AM
FitDay Member

wow...was it just me who couldn't get into the forums, or was it FitDay being stupid again and nobody could get in??

Epi, You've been very supportive of everyone on here. You will be missed. I hope that you will come in and say hi once in a while. I wish you the best of everything in your journey onward and downward.

I've been sick with a persistent, dry, deep cough, body aches, tired, etc. It hit all of a sudden out of nowhere. One minute I was fine and literally the next minute I felt like crap. I am down on the scale though since I haven't felt like eating much, lol, so I guess there is a positive.

How is everyone doing??
Old 02-24-2016, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

I've been trying to log in for a couple of days, so you're not the only one who wasn't able to log in Lisa.

Epixi - Sorry to hear you feel that way....although I can completely relate. I too am a slow loser....but seem to be a fast gainer. I too have felt discouraged reading posts where someone hasn't even followed their plan 100% and have a big drop. I have to be 100% on plan to see a loss and even then, it's extremely slow. Having said all that, I really think that is the way for everyone. I think when you see someone having a big loss one week, it's because they had a gain the week before...then they lose the water weight plus a little making it look like they are losing fast....if you were to look at their weigh ins over time, I'm certain you would see lots of fluctuations up and down. Wishing you the best and much success on your journey

Only 5 weeks left to the Spring Challenge as Libby mentioned. I will not hit my goals, but I'm going to do my best to get the scale moving again and bust this plateau!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:20 AM
FitDay Member

I just received an email from a site that I subscribe to. Very wise words so I wanted to share. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did

A healthy outside starts on the inside!

Taking great care of your body and your health with a nutritious diet and movement that makes you stronger and more vibrant is the best way to look your best. When we focus too much on the external it can be tough to stick with our goals because we don't see changes happen quickly enough,
or feel like we're not good enough if we don't look a certain way or weigh a certain amount...

Make sure you've decided to live a healthy lifestyle because you LOVE your body and want to take the best care of it possible. Celebrate your body for the amazing miracle it is RIGHT NOW by appreciating and caring for it.

Diet and exercise can feel like punishment, but movement and nourishment is a real treat! <3

YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Holy Hannah, I kept getting kicked off the forum and tried logging back in but couldn't post. Glad to see that it's working again. The weather has turned ugly with freezing rain and high winds. I hope the power doesn't go out. The scale is yo yoing again, up one day down the next. I hope that every has a good week and does well on Friday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.