Notices

Weight Loss Challenge! Out With the Old in With the New

Old 10-06-2015, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Lisa I completely understand what your saying about being fearful of hurting yourself again! When your back went out way back then, it was the same time my shoulder went out and what ultimately started me on the path of unraveling. Since then, I've tried to get back to a regular routine to no avail....each time I try inevitably something stops me kids get sick, I get sick, I get injured or lose motivation.

Like you said, you should start slow. Maybe don't start with Slim In Six (or if you do decide to do Slim In Six, take it slow)...why not just go out for a daily walk and build up your time? If walking outdoors isn't your thing and you prefer to do something indoors, maybe try out some indoor walking workouts. Here are a few links to some good indoor walking workouts.

Jessica Smith Walking Workouts I love Jessica's workouts! She has a large variety! Here's a link to her website.
Leslie Sansone Walking Workouts

And don't forget, you're not in this alone! I'm right here with you trying to get over of my fear of injuring myself too! We can do this...let's just take things slow
Old 10-06-2015, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Lisa,

I understand how worried you are about the back pain. I've had some milder incidents with back pain when I had stopped exercising for quite a while. And I got it from messing around with the kids and twisting the wrong way, and then it combined with sciatica. I couldn't sleep, couldn't get in or out of the car. Yours definitely sounds much worse though, if worse than childbirth.
But since I've been running again for the last few months, I've not experienced any pain at all (well, except for my calf, but that was because I pushed myself too hard when I felt weak).

Are there any exercises you could do (possibly under the supervision of a physical therapist) which you could be assured would not strain your back?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 PM
FitDay Member

Start (week 1): 187.4
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 174.7
Exercise Goal: 15 min. TMW per. day

Oct 5: no exercise but busy cleaning house, lots of stair walking and carrying.
Oct 6: we decided to rent a carpet cleaner and had to move a lot of furniture
My calories were a little high but I was super hungry.
Oct 7:

Last edited by libby135; 11-22-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:54 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou
I'm so scared to start exercising! When my back slipped out so badly (a long time ago now), it was the most excruciating pain I'd ever felt, even worse than giving birth 4 times. And every time I'm thinking about doing it, I'm reminded of that pain with the twinge in that exact spot that has never gotten better. I don't know why it's never gotten better. It's on my right lower back, just to the right of my spine. If I do this, I'm going to have to start out very slow to get over my fear and see that it's not going to slip out again with a little exercise. I mean, I wasn't exercising when it happened. I was just standing in front of the bathroom sink. Not bending or anything and it felt like my right side just literally dropped a few inches. ugh. I need to get over this fear that exercise will put my back out.

Lisa, I literally feel your pain ( well maybe not your exact pain...) But I have chronic back pain, so much so a doctor recommended surgery which I won't do. Add to this three knee operations and knee pain lately. I went to the ortho today for pain. All that being said, I WANT to exercise. Lack of movement makes my pain worse. I really believe that. And the thing is I LIKE to exercise, I miss it. But I do understand being scared. Who wants to feel the pain of 4 childbirths? Not I. And not you. The trick is (and this is a trick) how to find the balance for healthy movement. So yesterday and today I walked 10 minutes slowwwwwly total. The thing is, a step at a time. So I agree maybe not the Slim in 6 or maybe just as much of it as you can take. Less even. You can always do more. I am saying this to me as well as to you. I am determined to take back my health. I am 55; I'm tired of feeling like I am 85.We can do this. I believe we can.

And by the responses I can see many of us have our challenges. This is not just about being thin ( though that would be cool) but about being healthy.

OK I will step (very slowly, very gently) off my soapbox now.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 PM
FitDay Member

10/5 Day 1: stretch, floor exercises and a slowww walk (could barely move) 5 minutes there, five back
10/6 Day 2: same as day 1 but walked a bit better

DH and I went out for a walk and wound up doing errands. We were about to go home but I said no, let's do a tiny walk. I wouldn't have done it without this challenge. Thanks, guys.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 PM
FitDay Member

Start (week 1): 154
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 143
Exercise Goal for the Week: 20-30 min. cardio x4, core workout x3

Oct 5: 30 minutes elliptical
Oct 6: 60 minute walk and a core workout
Oct 7:
Oct 8:
Oct 9:
Oct 10:
Oct 11:
Old 10-07-2015, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

Start (week 1): 154
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 143
Exercise Goal for the Week: 20-30 min. cardio x4, core workout x3

Oct 5: 30 minutes elliptical
Oct 6: 60 minute walk and a core workout
Oct 7: 30 minute spin workout
Oct 8:
Oct 9:
Oct 10:
Oct 11:
Old 10-08-2015, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Start (week 1): 268
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 241
Exercise Goal for the Week: Start Slim in 6 DVD series. At least 3 times.
M......no
T.......no
W.....no
Th
F
Sa
Su

Ok, so here's where I'm at. I had a talk last night with dd's bf, who is a massage therapist. I told him about the location of the muscles that went out in my back way back when that are still giving me a problem. He told me about the anatomy, which I've already forgotten, lol. But what I took away from the conversation is that a routine of stretching would be a good idea. He agrees that it's a double edged sword...my back hurts because it's weak, and exercising to make it strong, if not done properly, could exasperate the problem. So I'm going to modify my exercise goal to at least a few days of stretching. And maybe I can get him to work on my back a bit. I've been too embarrassed to have him touch my fat body that to this point I've turned down his offers of massages.

Diet-wise I'm doing a fantastic job of staying mostly on track, and the scale is rewarding me for my efforts. I'm anxious to see where I'll be at on Monday. I think I know where I'll be for the Friday Weigh In thread, which is exciting enough. But if I can stay on track throughout the weekend for a change I'm super excited to see where I can get to for Challenge Weigh In on Monday.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

Start (week 1): 187.4
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 174.7
Exercise Goal: 15 min. TMW per. day

Oct 5: no exercise but busy cleaning house, lots of stair walking and carrying.
Oct 6: we decided to rent a carpet cleaner and had to move a lot of furniture
My calories were a little high but I was super hungry.
Oct 7: More cleaning, laundry, moving furniture back into place, dusting and sorting clothes and shoes.
October 8: Went for a short walk, ran some errands made supper and need to hem the table cloth. I had one cookie as a treat.
It's wonderful to have enthusiastic people on the board. Let's keep it going.

Last edited by libby135; 11-22-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

10/5 Day 1: stretch, floor exercises and a slowww walk (could barely move) 5 minutes there, five back
10/6 Day 2: same as day 1 but walked a bit better
10/7 floor exercises, 15 minute walk woot woot
10/8 visiting a friend, floor exercises, no walk

I was down three pounds and gained half back. I take anti inflammatory meds twice a day and have to eat with them but have been eating too much at night. It's the night eating that gets me. Too many crackers!!!!!! Still down 1.4 lbs from when I started tho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.