Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivation and Accountability - April 6-12....Don't Give Up! >

Motivation and Accountability - April 6-12....Don't Give Up!

Notices

Motivation and Accountability - April 6-12....Don't Give Up!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

By looking out the window, today is going to be a tough day! Storms and rain all day. Everything is just a little tougher when the storm season hits. Yesterday started out on track but.....I had to get a mole removed (again, it keeps coming back). The dr. dug down very deep this time in hopes to get the whole thing. Because of the deepness and size, I was told I am to take it easy for the next couple of days. It is right on the bend of my arm. Just having my arm hang down while standing or walking is uncomfortable. I am going to need to come up with a creative exercise plan for today!

I hope you are all having a great end of the week!!!

7 day average calorie count deficit of 500 - didn't track Monday T -495, W 128
7 day average exercise 30 minutes a day - M-35 min, T 30, W 30
7 day average for step count: 10000 a day 10647, T 10673, W 7647
water intake - 70 ounces a day - 80, 60, 54
Old 04-09-2015, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

Earlier today, RLSunday1 made the following post. It was made on the thread for last week, so I'm taking the liberty to copy-paste it over here, in this week's thread (since I believe s/he wanted it to be in the current week):

Monday I started exercising and things got crazy. Despite eating right, sticking with my plan it raised my BS to 174, made it difficult for me to sleep that night and then caused me to oversleep Tuesday morning. Despite sleeping longer than I have in weeks I woke up exhausted.

However on the bright side my fasting blood glucose was was a bit better than it typically is. But by 1pm I was too exhausted to stay awake, had to take a nap, which is something I have very rarely ever done in my life, and wound up sleeping six hours!

So on Tuesday I decided to walk for the same amount of time but at a slower pace taking a less challenging route. Which caused my BS to soar to 183. It was so demoralizing. Too make matters even worse about an hour later I became ravenously hungry but didn't want to eat because my BS was still 150 something.

I waited, and waited, and waited but finally I didn't care if I had any calories left over for the day or not I had to eat. I chose foods that put me over calorie wise but didn't add on a bunch of carbs. Then I worried my BS was going to be horrible in the morning because of the late night extra food.

However surprisingly again my morning numbers were a little better than they typically are. Unfortunately it did not last, despite careful eating and sticking to my plan my BS shot up in the afternoon. AUGHHHH!!! I felt so punished. I know that's silly but still that's how I felt.

Anyway the good news though is what I didn't do in response to that - eat. Instead I read a bunch online, made a game plan and today was great. Instead of exercising once a day by walking briskly, doing a mile and a half in under 30 minutes (okay slow but that's brisk for me fat as I am) at night after my last meal, I'm now taking my blood sugar, waiting an hour, then walking for 15 minutes at a comfortable pace.

When I come back I wait and hour, check my blood sugar. Then I spend 15 minutes preparing my meal, eat and take my BS two hours after the start of my meal. I did this three times today evenly spaced out and my numbers were so improved -

Fasting blood glucose 124
1 hour after exercise 142
2 hours after meal 132
1 hour after exercise 99
2 hours after meal 118
1 hour after exercise 112
2 hours after meal 98
Calories consumed 1346
Carbs 20

These are my best numbers since March 31st ! It's still too early for me to tell if it's a fluke or not but I'm so encouraged by these numbers I'm going to continue. Anyhow sorry about rambling on but I'm just really excited about today. Weird thing though, I'm up like 0.3 lbs. However I did drink 84 oz. of plain water yesterday plus had a 14 oz mug of coffee, water and half and half mix.

Episode2011 – I've messed up on a custom food too it’s very frustrating but fortunately we both caught it! I don't care for quinoa when eaten plain, even when it’s cooked in broth, but back when I was doing more carbs I had better luck baking with it. One time I added some to muffins and they came out pretty good. Another time unable to finish some that I'd cooked in broth, I wound up dumping it in some stuffing I was making. The stuffing seasoning and bread helped disguise the taste and texture of the quinoa and the quinoa made the stuffing stretch further and helped give a better nutritional profile to the dish. I just did a google search online for recipes to get ideas. It’s I think a lot more palatable mixed into things than by itself as a standalone dish.
Directly after RLSunday's post, AZLisaLou posted the following response.

RLSunday, I can see how you would feel so frustrated! Figuring all of this out for our own unique selves can be so difficult and challenging that at some points in time it can even bring some of us to tears. Good for you for sticking with it, doing some reading, making a plan and finding something that is working for you. So glad you BS readings have improved!

For those of you who have been discussing quinoa, I have a recipe link that I posted in the Food/Recipes forum. If you'd like to go, here's the thread...Nutty Quinoa

I've been watching tv all night and HAVE NOT BEEN EATING!!!!! omg I'm so proud of myself!!!!!
I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries -- I made the assumption that people wanted their posts to be in the appropriate thread. If this is wrong, I'll delete this post.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

And now that everything is where it should be (I hope!), I can respond.

RLSunday: I know exactly what you mean about doing the right things, working so hard to adhere to a plan and have it result in nothing (or having it go counter to your wishes). I agree, it is so frustrating and I completely understand how "punishing" it feels (no, it's not silly ). I'm so so so glad you were able to turn it around. Booyah!!! Take THAT, blood sugar numbers!

Lisa: You said "omg I'm so proud of myself". Let me tell you, I'm proud of you, too! You also said "...I did not binge..." and "...I felt more in control...". These are incredibly powerful statements. And good for you for substituting the diet soda for the regular. I'm really happy for you! As for the Kens, I'll have to give it a try.

Jennifer: Looks like a huge part of the mid-west USA is in for a stretch of rough weather. Storms, flooding, ugh. In any event, I hope that arm is feeling a bit better. Can you bend it at all? Maybe rest it on a desk or table or something?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:40 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! I'm just joining in. I came to Fitday to keep up with what I am eating after a friend's referral. I am finding it very helpful. I now come here for accountability and to join other likeminded people who face the same obstacles that I do.

I am a 50 year-old happily married to the man of my dreams female. I was injured on the job as a Paramedic which resulted in two ruptured discs that are inoperatable to repair. I also have serious neuropathy, hypothyroidism, type 2 diabetes, CRPS, spinal stenosis, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Between wearing Fentynal patches and taking 14-16 various pills for my ailments, nerve pain and back pain, I hope tobe able to lose 30-35 pounds and not have to take many of the drugs whom have some pretty nasty side effects.

I read the book Wheat Belly and realized that by giving up grains, I could become the thin, healthy person that I should be. I began my "new lifestyle" on Monday. Thus far I have lost four pounds! I eat whatever I want from the approved foods list without any measuring or weighing. I even ate 1/2 of a potato last night and still weighed 3/4 of a lb lighter this morning. DH (dear hubby) and I grow hydroponically lettuces and strawberries commercially using organic practices, so the research in the book about the danger of genetically modified seeds and grains is not new to me. I just didn't realize the profound effects and the depth of the science of the gmo's before. I sure don't want those nasties in my body causing so many ill effects. I have lost over five bodies. In my lifetime as a yo-yo dieter and with hypothyroidism. . I even underwent Around-the-world surgery in 2006 to remove the loose skin that hung from my abdomen to my knees after my last 86 lb loss. I have since gained and lost the same 25 pounds twice. I've always heard that three's the charm so I hope that is true, in this, my third time at getting it off. I hope to make my new way of eating actually a lifestyle change instead of a diet. I also do water exercises three times a week and everytime I stop that, I start gaining back. I am totally disabled and the doc limits my walking and standing so water exercise is it. I see amazing results with it and boy do I feel better after a good workout .

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain my situation so that you Fitday-ers know my history and help me stay motivated as I make this way of living a true lifestyle change for me. I look forward to chatting about our ups and downs and hope I will be inspirational for you as well.

This weeks goals:

Stay on plan to only eat healthy foods on approved list
Exercise 3-4 days a week
Get garden planted
See a steady decline on my medical scales
Eat at least 2 healthy snacks between meals to curb any hunger that may come my way

Blessings ro all,

HappyHen. (Denise)

Last edited by HappyHen; 04-09-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 AM
FitDay Member

Denise, so nice to meet you! Welcome to our little group. So sorry to hear about all of your ailments. That must be a real burden to live with every day. Hopefully losing some weight will help alleviate some of that for you. Water exercise, from what I understand, is one of the best out there...uses all muscles with no strain on any of them. Good luck and hope you stick around with us.

Epi, thanks for moving the convo to this thread. I didn't even realize it was in the wrong one. I'd like to thank you for your ever-encouraging and supportive responses. They take me a long way in my day.

Jennifer,
why don't you do something like leg lifts or squats for a few minutes for your exercise today instead of using your arm?

I had poptarts this morning for breakfast. I know I shouldn't have them, and I need to get out of that habit. Other than that I've done super well today. No snacking or binging to speak of! It's late in the afternoon now, and instead of raiding the kitchen I'm having an atkins w/ milk....so so so good. Thinking about what we're going to have for dinner tonight. I just haven't felt like cooking at all lately. I'm exhausted and my legs are achy...aunt flo came to visit. I get cramps from my hips, down my legs to my knees. Is that weird or what? Usually the 3 days leading up to that I'm ravenous and can't get enough food of all kinds, but this month I didn't have that. It snuck up on me without any warning signs. We'll see how the rest of the next 5 days goes.

Thinking about some of our absent groupies...Mike, Mern, Terry and others. Where are all you at??
Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there, Denise! Welcome to Fitday and to the M&A thread! Congratulations on the most recent 4 pounds -- what an encouraging start! So much of what you say in your post will ring true for many of us, especially with regard to losing and regaining. Well, you've found a great group of folks here -- we're all in this together . And lucky you with aqua-aerobics! I'm jealous!

Lisa: You're welcome . Actually, I'm glad you responded to RLSunday where you did, because that way, s/he is pretty sure to see it And as I said, we're all in this together, to congratulate the great things and commiserate/console over the challenges. With regard to Auntie Flo, she can be merciless, can't she? Well, at least she didn't wreak havoc with your appetite this time. And, with any luck, you'll get that wooosh when she leaves .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Side note: Consumer Alert -- are you all aware of the Sabra Hummus recall? A few weeks ago, we were discussing hummus in the Motivation and Accountability thread. Well, now 30,000 cases of Sabra Classic Hummus are being recalled because of possible listeria contamination. Apparently, if you have one of the recalled packages, you can take it back to the store for a full refund.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 PM
FitDay Member

My Strategy for the Week (April 6 - April 12):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1189, 1186, 1201, 1237
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses): 3962, 3962, 3895, 3895
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1295, 1287, 1198, 1138
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15, 16, 15 <--- sat-fat = my demon
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Carbs = under 150: 133, 125, 122, 122
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 11, 11, 12, 15
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 57, 59, 63, 68
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
    • Thursday: Tried a new seasoning for chicken. It's... well, ok... rather bland.
    • Thursday: Read some interesting articles about weight-loss comments. Will discuss below.
Whew, wasn't sure I was going to get the Explore! items done this week, but all is well. I tried a new chicken seasoning, in the hopes of reducing sodium a bit. The seasoning I had been using had 105mg sodium per 1/4 teaspoon. Um, 1/4 teaspoon is not a lot. Barely covers a chick thigh, front and back. This new, sodium-free seasoning just didn't cut the mustard, however. It was bland. I really missd the salt. So what's the plan? Simple. Mix 'em! Blend 1/4 teaspoon of the old with 1/4 teaspoon of the new. That way, there'll be enough to cover the chicken but will still cost me only 105mg.

On to the next topic. I saw an article titled something like "9 Things to NEVER Say to Someone Who Has Lost Weight". It went on to discuss how terrible it can be to comment on someone's weight loss and how offended the weight loser might be. Examples:
  • OMG you look so good now! ((So you're saying I was hideous before?))
  • Wow, how much have you lost, exactly? ((Um, let's just say a lot.))
  • So, how much more do you have to go? ((Well, I kind of thought I was done...))
Googling revealed a bunch of similar articles about what NOT to say. But I didn't find nearly as many on what we SHOULD say. So, I ask you.
  1. Would you be offended by questions/comments like those above?
  2. Do you want people to recognise that you've lost weight?
  3. Does it matter who says what? Your spouse/partner vs your mother/father vs co-workers vs salesclerks you see frequently?
  4. Have you commented on other people who've lost?
I've only had one person comment to me. It was a woman I hadn't seen in about 3 years. This was several months ago, when I was on the road. Even though I had gained some weight over the last year, I realized that I was, in fact, about 30 pounds lighter than the last time she saw me.

Her first comment (after the hug) was to hold me at arm's length and exclaim "OMG You've lost so much weight!!!".

My reaction? Big HUGE grin. "Yep!!!", I responded, enthusiastically. I gotta tell you, I wasn't offended in the least. In fact, I was floating for the remainder of the day. And since then, I've lost another 25 or so pounds. Hehe I should go back there and track her down just to see her reaction .

Oh, yeah, and my doctor commented. Matter of fact, she gave me a little applause, a big grin and told me she was proud of me. She also said she admired my discipline when I told her about the food /nutrition tracking (I showed her examples of my rolling 7-day averages). I also told her about these forums and how we all support and encourage one another. She thought it was wonderful. I felt like a kid who got a gold sticker on her spelling test. And it felt really good!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:50 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the welcomes! I used to frequent the Anne Collins forums which helped me get that 86 lbs off. It appears she is no longer online though. I believe in searching for help and seeking likeminded people to receive support and encouragement and those "group hugs" that mean so much when the going gets rough. As for the questions about how I would react to questions about me losing weight, I appreciate every one I get as that boosts my willpower and makes me proud and rewarded for my efforts and hardwork. As far as thinking negative about the questions, I never would because if I am working to lose weight, I know I am fat in the first place.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:01 PM
FitDay Member

Today I tracked for the first time in a really long time. I'm over my goal of 1700 , but I was still less than 2000....and that's with having take out dinner tonight. All in all, I feel pretty good about the day. the scale isn't showing me much love even though I think I've been doing mountains better this week. It could be Aunt Flo bloat. I bet that's what the problem is. I bet it goes down a bit next week.

Epi, I don't ever recall being offended by someone noticing and commenting on the fact that I had lost weight. I have had people make random comments about my size, not trying to insult but did. I can't think of a specific example right now though. If I do I'll bring it up. I think you're doing fantastic on your goals!!! You've got a handful of reds for sat fat, but it's really right on the threshold. If it were me I'd consider myself as being pretty darn successful.

where is everyone? Becca, Debbie, Vicki, Annette...who am I missing?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 AM
FitDay Member

RL Sunday: I too know exactly what you mean about doing the right thing, working so hard and not seeing the results you are hoping for. This journey can be so frustrating at times!!! I am glad you were able to improve on your blood glucose numbers. It is nice to have some good news sometimes!! Way to go!

Debbie – I also understand crazy days! “Normal” days are busy enough and difficult to track food and exercise – toss in some “craziness” and it seems like the diet and exercise are the first things I drop. I need to work on that. You sound like you are still focused on your goals! That’s awesome!!

Yes, the Midwest had some rough weather yesterday. The tornados went a few miles north and a few miles south of us. The sun is shining now but it is cold and windy. All in all, I can’t complain.

The arm is simply bothersome. If I start to do to much of anything, it throbs. I know this is only short term so I can deal with it…..just very inconvient. Seems like there is always something to challenge me on this getting healthy journey! Just another one of the bumps I need to climb over!

7 day average calorie count deficit of 500 - didn't track Monday T -495, W 128 , Tr - 424
7 day average exercise 30 minutes a day - M-35 min, T 30, W 30, Tr 35
7 day average for step count: 10000 a day 10647, T 10673, W 7647, 8888
water intake - 70 ounces a day - 80, 60, 54, 76

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.