Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivation and Accountability Thread, March 30 - April 5: Bring on Spring! >

Motivation and Accountability Thread, March 30 - April 5: Bring on Spring!

Community
Notices

Motivation and Accountability Thread, March 30 - April 5: Bring on Spring!

Old 04-03-2015, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

Lynda: I sometimes let my regular green tea sit around so long it becomes cold and I think it tastes just fine. I was actually planning to make iced green tea on purpose sometime in the near future. No lemon needed, by the way -- it's fine with just some sweetener. Given that matcha tastes somewhat similar to the regular green tea, I imagine it would be good cold, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Strategy for the Week (March 30 - April 5):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1328, 1328, 1313, 1284, 1239
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses): 3899, 3899, 3966, 3966, 3962
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1340, 1335, 1404, 1470, 1385 <--- much better
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15, 15, 14, 14 <--- BOOYAH!!! Two blues in a row!!!
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 23, 22, 18, 15, 14 <--- doggone it -- just when I got the sat-fat under control...
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130: 134, 138, 139, 136, 135
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 67, 66, 62, 60, 59 <--- eat another egg, Epi, no, wait, cholesterol... *sigh*
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
    • Monday: Did some research on batwings, since it looks like I'll probably have them for the rest of my life. *sigh*
    • Monday: Tried a new brand of (low sodium) jerky.
    • Wednesday: Bought and tried matcha (yum!) and quinoa (meh)
    • Wednesday: Read an article on orthorexia
    • Wednesday: Researched Japanese Tea Ceremony
    • Wednesday: Tried to find out why a butter pat is called a "pat" (no luck; I found a few theories, but I still don't know for sure)
    • Thursday: Read a scary article about a man who developed kidney stones, supposedly because he drank too much TEA.
Another uneventful nutrition day. Two more days to round out the week -- let's make them good ones!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

Where is everybody?
Old 04-04-2015, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

I'm cooking and cleaning--getting ready for tomorrow! For the Easter challenge, I lost 22.8 pounds--while it's not the 23.6 I wanted, it is only 0.8 pounds above it. I'm a happy girl right now! Vicki
Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rosabella2012
I'm cooking and cleaning--getting ready for tomorrow! For the Easter challenge, I lost 22.8 pounds--while it's not the 23.6 I wanted, it is only 0.8 pounds above it. I'm a happy girl right now! Vicki
Holy moley, Vicki, that's phenomenal!!! Woot woot!
Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 AM
FitDay Member

Vicki that's excellent!!!! What a fantastic job you did!!!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:24 PM
FitDay Member

Well, I have an appt for a Lap Band consult with the dr., but when I told Jeff about it he said I can't go. He said unless it's covered 100% then I can't have it done. I realize very much that we're not in a position to spend money. At the same time, I don't think he realizes how much it's going to cost me during my lifetime with illnesses, complications, medications, and a shorter life. They told me that it would cost out of pocket $1600-1800. I could put it on my credit card and make payments. I guess I'll just have to wait if he gets back to work or not and if his insurance will be back on to pick up what medicare doesn't cover.

Also, as I was watching "My 600lb Life" the other day, I noticed that whenever they start out with exercising they always use hand weights just to get some muscles moving. I bought a set of hand weights that are just collecting dust, so maybe I should pull those out and try to tone up my arms a little while I'm watching tv at least.

Another thing is that I realized with our Roku we have a Yoga channel. I'm going to check that out. I also have 2 yoga mats that I bought with very good intentions over a year ago. I'm thinking I might get one out and try the yoga.

Hope everyone is having a happy weekend.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:51 PM
FitDay Member

Lisa: Sorry to hear you may have to postpone the surgery, but at least you have the information you need. Good idea about using the handweights during TV viewing. And lucky you with the Yoga Channel!

• 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1328, 1328, 1313, 1284, 1239, 1226
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses): 3899, 3899, 3966, 3966, 3962, 3968
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1340, 1335, 1404, 1470, 1385, 1381
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15, 15, 14, 14, 14 <--- Great googley moogley! Three blues -- I'm on a roll!
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 23, 22, 18, 15, 14, 12 *sigh*
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130: 134, 138, 139, 136, 135, 129 <--- not as good as it looks, it was low carbs (yay) but serious low fiber (boo)
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 67, 66, 62, 60, 59, 59
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
    • Monday: Did some research on batwings, since it looks like I'll probably have them for the rest of my life. *sigh*
    • Wednesday: Tried to find out why a butter pat is called a "pat" (no luck; I found a few theories, but I still don't know for sure)
    • Thursday: Read a scary article about a man who developed kidney stones, supposedly because he drank too much TEA.
Well, my numbers may have been different/worse had I gotten in earlier tonight. As it was, I got back at 10ish. I had already had dinner, but was sort of craving a little nosh. But I said to myself, Epi, are you actually hungry? Or do you just want something to chomp on? I realized I honestly didn't need a full-blown snack, so I settled for some (sugar-free) gum. Sweet-tooth appeased, desire to chew something appeased. Calories and other nutrients are happy/unaffected. And that makes me happy with my decision.

EDIT: I typically allow myself to have what I call a "delicious decadence" (otherwise known as a little sweet snack) every evening, PROVIDED my daily calorie count is within appropriate limits. I build it into my daily calories. Tonight, I was already at the daily calorie limit border AND it was rather late and the sweet would have pushed my daily calories over what I have determined is my acceptable limit. That's why I'm proud that I decided to forego the treat for tonight.

I hope the scale is happy on Monday...

Last edited by episode2011; 04-04-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:58 PM
FitDay Member

Epi, good for you for recognizing your personal limits and sticking to it.

Everyone, I honestly don't mean to complain so much. I've just been on such a roller coaster, twists and turns, ups and downs...and whatever else it may be called. I'm bummed, yes, but there is a time for everything. It's just not my time yet to move forward with getting more info on the Lap Band. It's just delayed.

Jeff suddenly and unexpectedly got laid off again after not even 3 full weeks of working. That has taken it's toll on me too.

A lot of stuff has been happening that typically drives me to comfort food. Which leads me to...

In the meantime, I looked up several psychologists online through Medicare to look into who could possibly help me address my eating addiction and it's underlying causes. I emotionally eat, yes, but I don't always know why. Hopefully I'll find someone who can help me.

So, I'm sorry for being a "Negative Nate" as my husband would say. I just wish the craziness would stop. I'm crazy enough as it is...I don't need more help! lol

Looking forward to doing my best in the next challenge.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Lisa: We all need someplace to let it all out. Some people let it all out to friends and relatives, but often, that runs the risk of altering relationships. Others let it out to therapists, but that can be prohibitively costly. Still others try to keep it inside and it ends up eating them up (or they try to eat it, drink it, smoke it or drug it away). The point is, everyone needs a "safe place". I think these boards are a good "safe place", especially this board. One of the reasons is because of the anonymity afforded by the internet. The folks who frequent this particular board tend to be compassionate and empathetic. Sharing here allows one to let it out without running the risk of altering or perhaps even permanently damaging personal relationships. In short, I suppose what I'm saying is this can be one of your safe places, if that's what you want or need. (I hope I don't sound too Pollyana-ish.)

Basically, it's healthier to let it out than to keep it in.

And I'm glad you're looking forward to the next challenge . Good luck!

• 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1328, 1328, 1313, 1284, 1239, 1226, 1226, 1214
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses): 3899, 3899, 3966, 3966, 3962, 3968, 3889
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1340, 1335, 1404, 1470, 1385, 1381, 1155
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15, 15, 14, 14, 14, 13 <--- a new record low !!!
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 23, 22, 18, 15, 14, 12, 11 <--- another record low *sigh*
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130: 134, 138, 139, 136, 135, 129, 133 <--- I knew the blue was too good to last
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 67, 66, 62, 60, 59, 59, 62
    • Saturday: Spent some time revisiting the way metabolism works. I have a lot more research to do here...
For everyone celebrating holidays, I hope they're all you hope them to be!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Long Post

Monday I started exercising and things got crazy. Despite eating right, sticking with my plan it raised my BS to 174, made it difficult for me to sleep that night and then caused me to oversleep Tuesday morning. Despite sleeping longer than I have in weeks I woke up exhausted.

However on the bright side my fasting blood glucose was was a bit better than it typically is. But by 1pm I was too exhausted to stay awake, had to take a nap, which is something I have very rarely ever done in my life, and wound up sleeping six hours!

So on Tuesday I decided to walk for the same amount of time but at a slower pace taking a less challenging route. Which caused my BS to soar to 183. It was so demoralizing. Too make matters even worse about an hour later I became ravenously hungry but didn't want to eat because my BS was still 150 something.

I waited, and waited, and waited but finally I didn't care if I had any calories left over for the day or not I had to eat. I chose foods that put me over calorie wise but didn't add on a bunch of carbs. Then I worried my BS was going to be horrible in the morning because of the late night extra food.

However surprisingly again my morning numbers were a little better than they typically are. Unfortunately it did not last, despite careful eating and sticking to my plan my BS shot up in the afternoon. AUGHHHH!!! I felt so punished. I know that's silly but still that's how I felt.

Anyway the good news though is what I didn't do in response to that - eat. Instead I read a bunch online, made a game plan and today was great. Instead of exercising once a day by walking briskly, doing a mile and a half in under 30 minutes (okay slow but that's brisk for me fat as I am) at night after my last meal, I'm now taking my blood sugar, waiting an hour, then walking for 15 minutes at a comfortable pace.

When I come back I wait and hour, check my blood sugar. Then I spend 15 minutes preparing my meal, eat and take my BS two hours after the start of my meal. I did this three times today evenly spaced out and my numbers were so improved -

Fasting blood glucose 124
1 hour after exercise 142
2 hours after meal 132
1 hour after exercise 99
2 hours after meal 118
1 hour after exercise 112
2 hours after meal 98
Calories consumed 1346
Carbs 20

These are my best numbers since March 31st ! It's still too early for me to tell if it's a fluke or not but I'm so encouraged by these numbers I'm going to continue. Anyhow sorry about rambling on but I'm just really excited about today. Weird thing though, I'm up like 0.3 lbs. However I did drink 84 oz. of plain water yesterday plus had a 14 oz mug of coffee, water and half and half mix.

Episode2011 – I've messed up on a custom food too it’s very frustrating but fortunately we both caught it! I don't care for quinoa when eaten plain, even when it’s cooked in broth, but back when I was doing more carbs I had better luck baking with it. One time I added some to muffins and they came out pretty good. Another time unable to finish some that I'd cooked in broth, I wound up dumping it in some stuffing I was making. The stuffing seasoning and bread helped disguise the taste and texture of the quinoa and the quinoa made the stuffing stretch further and helped give a better nutritional profile to the dish. I just did a google search online for recipes to get ideas. It’s I think a lot more palatable mixed into things than by itself as a standalone dish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.