Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivation and Accountability Thread, March 30 - April 5: Bring on Spring! >

Motivation and Accountability Thread, March 30 - April 5: Bring on Spring!

Notices

Motivation and Accountability Thread, March 30 - April 5: Bring on Spring!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

In order to stay on track for the 50,000 word total you have to keep up to 1666 words per day, which roughly takes me to 8330 words for the end of the first partial week.
I start writing tonight at midnight. I am going to stay up for one hour writing.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

Happy Tuesday friends. Been a hectic week - hubby is out of town visiting family and it is a busy week for me at work. I bought lots of healthy choices at the grocery this weekend. We had "Taco Tues" at work today so I offered to bring a southwestern salad made with rice, quinoa, black beans, and corn.
Very healthy - we also had some homemade salsa so tried to stick with lots of the veggies on a flour tortilla.

Epixi- I have never heard of matcha - is it a drink? Let us know what you discover.

Annette- Camp sounds like a lot of fun. We love to go camping in the summer. Anytime I can be outside.

Lisa - I would take a few of those hot day for the cold Feb we had in Ohio, but you can keep them the rest of the year- lol. I also hate to be hot. It is slowly warming up here. Great job on the serving of potato salad! Sounds like that was a delicious dinner. That is my biggest goal to learn to eat what I want but to keep the portion in control. Some days good - some I turn off my inner voice.

Hope- Good luck on the interview. Also noticed you had a weigh-in with a friend. That is so great you have someone to help along this journey. My husband is not a big eater but loves to snack at night. ( thankfully I am sleeping so do not join him) but he doesn't seem to gain so it is hard for me to talk to him about this. He is very supportive and encouraging but not the same as talking to someone that is going thru this.

Jennifer- great goals for the week!

Everyone have a great rest of the week - off to make a light dinner.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by episode2011
Well, folks, March and Winter are almost in the rearview mirror. It won't be long before the daffodils and tulips are bursting forth, full of energy and sunshine. Ready? Of course we are!

I don't have any inspirational quotes (sorry!), so let's just go!

It snowed in my town. I can't complain cause I wasn't there but my friends and neighbors are indignant. It's almost April, they say, enough is enough.

Epi, I've got to read those reviews again. OK read the one on Amazon for the Haribo 5 lb bag of gummies. The one entitled My Dinner With Andrea. I laughed so hard, I read it again.

Annette, good luck with the writing!!! Good goal!!!!

Lynda, my friend is a Take Shape for Life rep. I don't follow the program but they have challenges. I have resisted because you have to put in $20 and also take a picture of yourself on a scale but things are getting out of control and she says it is fun so... For example, I am visiting a cousin who is healing from surgery. He wanted chicken parmesan and wasn't up to eating so guess who cooked and then ate a whole bunch of it? And I am allergic to tomatoes and dairy. Why do I do this?

As for the interview, I think it went well. Not sure I'll get it, not sure if it is for me, given that it is physically demanding. It is being a tour guide for various historic locations. Not much pay, not a job job, but I've been a guide before (at a winery) and it will hopefully leave me time to write. Thought about going back to teaching college but it's too much work. Also left a message at a place where I taught creative writing. At least there I didn't have much class prep and even better, no papers to grade!!!! Have even thought about working as a caterer/delivery person for people in need again!! Something will come!!!

Last edited by canary52; 03-31-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:16 PM
FitDay Member

Holy S**t!!! After the phone call I had last week with Medicare saying I couldn't get covered until July, I got a letter in the mail today saying I'm COVERED!!! It officially went into effect 3/1, but it was really a wasted month since it didn't all pan out until the month is now over. Tomorrow I am checking into getting some therapy started, and I'm going to take the next step in the process for lap band, which Medicare does partially cover.

AND

I found out my husband's insurance will start again (for certain!) 5/1!

What a day filled with wonderful news. And it was a good food day too. Other than some soda and probably a salad that was bigger than it should have been, I did really well.

A very good day indeed.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou
Holy S**t!!! After the phone call I had last week with Medicare saying I couldn't get covered until July, I got a letter in the mail today saying I'm COVERED!!! It officially went into effect 3/1, but it was really a wasted month since it didn't all pan out until the month is now over. Tomorrow I am checking into getting some therapy started, and I'm going to take the next step in the process for lap band, which Medicare does partially cover.

AND

I found out my husband's insurance will start again (for certain!) 5/1!

What a day filled with wonderful news. And it was a good food day too. Other than some soda and probably a salad that was bigger than it should have been, I did really well.

A very good day indeed.
Woot woot!!! So very happy for you, Lisa!!! (((HUGS)))
Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 PM
FitDay Member

Annette: Ahhhh, now I understand 8330. It's a marriage between writing and math! Sweet . I imagine you're writing right now, as I write this post. Good luck!

Lynda: That southwestern salad sounds delicious! I love black beans, corn and rice. But quinoa? Hehe yet another one to put on my Explore! list. I've been meaning to try it for a few years and just never got around to it.

Hope: I'll look for My Dinner with Andrea. I think I was looking at one of the Sugar-free Haribos (I never knew there were so many of them). My goodness, you've had a wide variety of experiences, each of which sounds exciting and fun!

For all who asked: Matcha (抹茶) (pronounced mah-cha) is a finely powdered green tea. It is the tea that's used in tea ceremonies, especially the Japanese Tea Ceremony. One of these days, I hope to go to a Japanese Tea Ceremony (my dream would be to actually attend one in Japan). In the meantime, I'll get some matcha here and see how it tastes. I've seen it in some local supermarkets as well as on Amazon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Strategy for the Week (March 30 - April 5):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1328, 1328 "But but but, I can explain!!"
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses): 3899, 3899
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1340, 1335
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15 *sigh*
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 23, 22
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130: 134, 138 "Really, there's a logical explanation!"
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 67, 66
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
    • Monday: Did some research on batwings, since it looks like I'll probably have them for the rest of my life. *sigh*
    • Monday: Tried a new brand of (low sodium) jerky, since the my usual brand was out of stock. A very good alternative -- not quite as tasty as my usual brand, but definitely worth another buy.
Well, I had a nasty wake-up call. As I tend to do, I periodically monitor and review my food lists and portions. This evening I discovered that I somehow messed up on the entry for a Custom Food. It's a food I've been enjoying for years and is probably one of the first Custom Foods I ever entered on Fitday.

All this time, I thought a serving size was 1 cup (190 calories). I typically eat a half cup and record 95 calories. Turns out, however, a serving size is only 3/4 cup, meaning that whole cup is 253 calories. Uh oh. That half cup I've been chowing down on is actually worth 126 calories. YIKES!

Now, that's not a lot of additional calories, but it's enough to throw my Averages out of whack. Now that I have the proper values, I'll be able to compensate, but for the next few days, my Averages will probably be in the red. I wonder, though, did I mess up years ago? Or did the company adjust their serving sizes?
Old 04-01-2015, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

Here are my goals:

7 day average calorie count deficit of 500 - 561, 451
7 day average exercise 30 minutes a day - 45, 30
7 day average for step count: 10000 a day - 10216, 10421
water intake - 70 ounces a day - 85, 67

Wow this week came in like a whirl wind! This is the first time I have been on since Monday morning. Between work, appointments and children's activities, there hasn't been any down time! Last night, I had to fill 400 eggs for an egg hunt today. It's not good when you find this out last minute and you are up after midnight surrounded by candy!! I did pretty good - - only lost a couple of little chocolate bunnies!

I hope you all are having a great week! I am hoping to catch up on post reading tonight!

Thank you all for your support!

Last edited by JenniferP1; 04-01-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

935 words so far. I am going out now to pick up a burn permit.

I won't be walking for exercise this week, or next. Here is my to-do list instead:
  1. Mow back yard
  2. Burn pile of branches
  3. Trim and burn backyard bushes
  4. Dig and clean up septic tank area
  5. Build new insert and cover
  6. Dig up overgrown area down the north side of house
  7. Dig up front garden
  8. Mow front yard
  9. Trim bushes blocking vision to driveway and road
  10. Clean up driveway and power wash
  11. Clean and paint entry railing and steps
  12. Weed the rhubarb patch and current bushes
Old 04-01-2015, 11:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! Apologies for not checking in this past week! I've had a broken down fridge...then the hot water heater went...my daughter was home with a cold/fever...we have had appointments set up to have my daughter evaluated for possible learning disabilities...last night she started with an ear infection...more appointments today...my son's family birthday party...plus all the usual stuff...all that to say I've had little time for myself or anything else. It's weeks like this that have me feeling like I'm sinking! We were supposed to be away for the Easter long weekend...but all that has been cancelled. I guess on the bright side, it may be a quieter weekend than anticipated, so maybe I can actually dig into my new workout dvds finally!

I'll try to catch up tomorrow...got run to pick my son up from scouts! I have no idea how single parents cope!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Jennifer: I'm not sure I understand your color coding system. Are red items things that didn't hit the mark whereas green items did hit the mark? Or is it alternating colors for every day? Because, it looks to me that you've been doing a great job hitting your marks! I don't envy you with the 400 eggs. I remember those days. You did well only losing a few bunnies. But really, they had to take one for the team, right?

Annette: Holy moley! With all that activity, you won't need to walk for exercise. I'm exhausted just reading your schedule. You are one hard-working woman, indeed!

Debbie: Isn't that the way it always happens? One appliance breaks down and the rest of them have sympathy-break-downs. So sorry to hear of your daughter's cold/fever/earache. Not fun at all (it's so difficult when the kiddos aren't feeling well). I hope they can come up with some good strategies for helping with learning. Sorry, too, to hear that you had to postpone your travel plans. With regard to the thread, no rush. You have your hands full right now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for me, I had an excellent Explore! day today. Bought and tried the matcha AND the quinoa.

The matcha was delightful. Tasted similar to my go-to green tea, but with an pleasant undertone/aftertaste I can't yet identify. It wasn't 100% matcha, which is powdered; it was a mixture of mostly matcha with a few green tea leaves. The only downside is it's sort of expensive. I bought it in bags (as opposed to loose) and I'll definitely finish the canister. I'll have only one a day, however, to make it last longer.

The quinoa was a different story. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't quite as tasty as I'd hoped. I suppose it'll be an acquired taste. I'll have it again (I have 3 more servings in the refrigerator), but if there was a contest between quinoa and, say, rice or mashed potatoes... To be fair, I may not have gotten the right quinoa. I bought a small pack because, well, because it was small. It was flavored with garlic and onion. It smelled great while cooking but the garlic and onion were a bit overpowering. In addition, this particular brand also had a high sodium content (320mg per serving). True, it's sea-salt, but it's still sodium. Had I done more research beforehand, I'd probably have purchased plain quinoa (sodium ~10mg).

In addition to taste-testing, I also did some research/reading today: I read an interesting article about a young woman whose obsession with nutrition and healthy eating took her to some dangerous (health) places. Not anorexia, but something called orthorexia. I never knew anything like that existed. Thank goodness, she's better now. On a MUCH lighter note, I also tried to find out WHY a butter pat is called a "pat" (I wasn't able to find a satisfactory answer). And I did a bit of digging on how, exactly, the Japanese Tea Ceremony is performed/conducted. Found lots of information -- fascinating!

Anyway, hope we all have a good goals/strategy/plan day today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.