Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread - March 2 - 8....calorie counting versus intuitive eating? >

Motivational Thread - March 2 - 8....calorie counting versus intuitive eating?

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread - March 2 - 8....calorie counting versus intuitive eating?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you Epi!!!

Please excuse me if I post more frequently than I probably should. I don't mean to be irritating, but it's good for me to check in often in order to keep up with everyone and to also keep myself accountable.

Tonight for dinner I made the family seasoned roasted red potatoes, carrots, onions in olive oil and polska kielbasa. I'm thinking ahead to potential weight loss surgery eating rules and said no to the very high calorie/carb dinner. I saved a chicken breast from a few nights ago and made chicken salad with green onions on 2 Hungry Girl flatout foldit breads, tomato and lettuce. The mayo killed my calorie counts though. BUT I'm pretty close to my goal for the day. I'm guessing that I had been doing at least 3000 calories most days during the past while, so for me to be under 1900 was a win (1700/day is my goal). If I didn't indulge in 2 oz of the kielbasa I'd have been right on for my goal for the day. I feel proud and accomplished. I know it's just one day, but several "one days" lead to a trend. I'm just focusing on "one days" but I'm looking forward to seeing a trend.

Hope everyone is having a good night!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:55 PM
FitDay Member

Lisa, if it wasn't for the logged in glitch, I would have posted earlier.

Water is not going well for me. The toilet at the farm is broken, so unless I want to pee in the woods, I have to keep the water intake down.

I also am not eating at the farm. Something about the smell of manure and eating just isn't striking me right.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

*huff* *huff, *pant* *pant*

A bit behind schedule today, so comments may be brief (well, brief for me)...

Lisa
: Post as much as you want! I don't think there's any posting limit, so go to town . I like that line "I feel proud and accomplished". Good stuff! And that dinner sounds like good stuff, too. Yum!

Annette: That water will get you every time, won't it? I'm another who has to time her water intake. If I know I'm going to be on the road a bit during the day, I can't drink at all. I remember one cross country roadtrip, years ago, on one of my first forays into "drink more water!!!", where I had to stop at nearly every single reststop on the highway. Ick! I'm much better now (has my bladder expanded, maybe? Uh oh, TMI!), but I still require water planning when I'm away from home.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

My Goals for the Week (March 2 - March 8):
  • Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day): A, A, A, A
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day: 2445, 2445, 2917, 3035
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1155, 1156, 1150, 1150
  • Explore! Try something new or learn something new (nutrition-wise) at least 2 times:
    • Monday: tried a Minneola.
    • Tuesday: read an article on the difference between dietitians and nutritionists.
    • Wednesday: Nothing in particular.
    • Thursday: did a little research on TOPS so I could respond to Lisa's question.
Whoops, out of time. Back later! Have a great day, folkies!

Last edited by episode2011; 03-06-2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: edited to clean up goals listings
Old 03-06-2015, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all. I was getting 404 error messages and thought the site was gone forever. I have gained nearly all my weight back and am dealing with the guys being home 24/7. Their jobs ended on Friday and life is different now. The house is messier especially the kitchen and I don't seem to be able to get anything done. My blood pressure is up and I am tired all the time from the extra stress. I hope that at some time it will get better. I am so glad that this site is still working.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Libby, so sorry to hear you are having so much stress at home. I hope things fall into a doable routine w/ the guys being home soon.

Annette, yeah, manure and meal time doesn't sound good to me either. lol

I'm probably going to go a bit over on my calories today. For one thing, I was starving this morning and had a banana and an ounce of kielbasa. We're having runzas for dinner tonight, and I'm estimating how much I will eat, but I'll have to wait until then to get the exact weights of everything to know better how my day is going to look. I'm already hungry for lunch (an atkins w/ milk) and it's only 11am. oy.

Feeling good about things though. I know it's just sodium and water weight, but I'm down a couple lbs already.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 PM
FitDay Member

So far pretty good today. I gave myself some wiggle room and had a soda. Is that a bad thing to do? That's the only thing that I should resist that I had today. Everything else has been good. I've lost 5 lbs already! 1/2 way to my goal of 10 lost by April 9th.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 PM
FitDay Member

I'm very ashamed to admit that I had a relapse already. Will go on from here.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Good Saturday morning, friends! Up and at 'em!

In case I don't get back online today, don't forget to set your clocks up tonight, or tomorrow morning it'll be later than you think!

Libby: Don't let it wear you out. Are "the guys" all adults? Have you asked them to pitch in with shopping, cooking or cleaning? It shouldn't all fall on you. And this next bit may be a bit controversial, but maybe, if everyone in the house is an adult, maybe it's time to go back to the roommates concept, where everyone fends for themselves.

Lisa: Don't beat yourself up over a slip. We all have them. Yesterday was yours. Today will be someone else's. Guaranteed. Do your best to leave it in the past and move on. Remember the bit you wrote earlier in the day... "I've lost 5 lbs already!".

Oh, by the way, remember a few days ago when we were talking about the cost of soda vs sparkling water? I did some research and they seem to be pretty close. I checked the website for a store chain that I know has prices online (not all do), and a 2-liter bottle sparkling water there was a little less than a 2-liter Coke. I also checked at Target, and a 12 can pack of sparkling water was about 20 cents more than a 12-can pack of Coke (so, about a penny and a half more per can). Financially, it may be a good swap. I also did some research on sparkling water itself. Had no idea there were so many varieties!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

My Goals for the Week (March 2 - March 8):
  • Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day): A, A, A, A, A
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day: 2445, 2445, 2917, 3035, 2648
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1155, 1156, 1150, 1150, 1120
  • Explore! Try something new or learn something new (nutrition-wise) at least 2 times:
    • Monday: tried a Minneola.
    • Tuesday: read an article on the difference between dietitians and nutritionists.
    • Wednesday: Nothing in particular.
    • Thursday: did a little research on TOPS so I could respond to Lisa's question.
    • Friday: did a little research to compare soda prices vs sparkling water prices. Also looked up Runza, 'cause I'd never heard of it
Gah, today is Saturday (yay!) and I still haven't had a High day. That translates into not being able to get that 7-Day Average where I want it to be. Sat Fat is still giving me fits. Apparently, for me, it shouldn't be more than 10g per day. Pffft. Too low. WAAAAAY too low. I just can't do it. Well, I suppose if my doctor told me I HAD to, I'd have to learn how, but OMG that would mean cutting out virtually EVERYthing that's even remotely tasty .

Still trying to up the fiber, too. There are only so many beans one can eat in a day (and still be around polite company ).

On the positive side, sodium and protein are just about where I want them to be.

Oh, this "healthy eating" thing is soooo complicated!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Happy Saturday everyone! sorry I was gone all week - really missed posting and catching up with. When I did have time to log in I was getting those errors also - glad that is fixed.

Debbie - thanks for keeping us motivated. I did try to take your advise and stop eating when I feel full. I just have to make sure that I also eat when i truly feel hungry or I end up making bad decisions and overeating later.

Epixi- great idea to try some new foods. I think I will try that next week look for something in the fresh foods and then find a receipe. something that I have never cooked before. I love most fruits and veggies!

Lisa - I keep asking myself why does eating healthy have to be so expensive? I struggle also in keeping my food budget inline and the fresh fruits and veggies can get pricey. When spring comes we have some farmer's markets and I then I can get fresh items at more reasonable prices. I also try to get what is in season or on sale.

Terri- glad to hear things are still progressing smoothly. I think your idea to share the news with your family is terrific and will add to a blessed occasion.

Annette - farm work is hard work and so is any physical activity. Like mentioned it is not only walking but building strenght too. Sodium is my enemy also and usually takes a few days after I have had something salty.
I try to stay away from packaged meats but popcorn is my weakness. I air pop it with no oil so it is a great snack but I have to have salt- lol

Libby - changes can be stressful. Hopefully you can find some peace and keep your blood pressure down.

For me it was a long stressful week but managed to stay in my calorie goals and lost two pounds. Even had Pizza one day but worked it into my calorie allotment! That is what I need to learn to do to make this a true lifestyle change - how can I eat foods I love in moderation. It was hard to just have the two small pieces when I wanted more and then also to restrict my calories the rest of the day to make up for it - but the two pounds at the end of the week was a great reward. Hope everyone will have a great weekend.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

I really hate the time change. It leaves me with less time to fit in my meds on an empty stomach, then my meds with food. To top it off, my scheduled meds are now an hour later. No clock at the farm, so I have to guess at the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.