Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread Jan. 5 - 11 - Shooting for the moon! >

Motivational Thread Jan. 5 - 11 - Shooting for the moon!

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread Jan. 5 - 11 - Shooting for the moon!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:01 AM
FitDay Member

You guys are amazing. Thank you for all the good info and advice. I eat raw unsalted almonds, about 12 makes a good snack. Exercise makes the most difference for me. I go to aqua fit twice a week and use light weights twice a week building to more reps as I get stronger. I felt better after a little more sleep. Tomorrow is weigh. Yeah.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

Oi. My beautiful kitty is very sick; possibly dying. I took her to the vet and they discovered she has a seriously inflamed liver. We have her on pain meds, antibiotics, and she still won't eat or drink. I will take her today to give her an appetite stimulator and see if that helps. If she won't eat, she won't make it. If she eats, she has a better change, but still an uphill battle.

I shouldn't let it, but it is definitely hampering my motivation and momentum. I didn't exercise yesterday since I was at the vets office during what should have been my gym time, and can't see fitting it in today either. Between caring for her, and honestly just worrying about her, and making sure I stay on top of work too, I feel like that is where my attention is (instead of making nice meals and getting to the gym).

I have to talk myself into making good choices even during stressful times. I will do my best to make a healthy dinner tonight and get out for a walk; she should be okay on her own for an hour... I hope. :/
Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Roxy, my best wishes for your kitty's full recovery. I know it's hard to stay focused under such trying circumstances, but good for you for your intent to make a good meal tonight and get some exercise.

Debbie, AWESOME job on all your exercise! Way to go! Wow, I've never heard of frost quakes. I have heard loud noises from the house settling before, but not as loud as thunder. No wonder your kids were freaked out. My grandkids had a two hour delay to the start of school today due to the cold temperatures. Oh, how many times have I second guessed what I know is healthful eating for me and fallen for the hype of a new diet!! "Bottom line is, make changes that you feel you can do for your entire life. Those are the changes that will stick.."--what sound advice! The Jessica Smith videos are wonderful--I haven't seen Fitness Blender--will check them out. Thanks!

I'd like to put my two cents worth in on weight gain and bananas. I refuse to take medication to keep my pre-diabetes reversed to normal blood sugar since I've proven to my doctor I can do it with diet alone--at least for now. Through my doc and I studying my food logs together and through trial and error, we determined that if I eat a total of 30 or more net carbs per day (total carbs less fiber) I gain weight no matter how few calories I eat or how much I exercise. My doctor told me the reason for that is that excess carbs/blood sugar are stored as fat. My blood sugar can remain in the normal zone if I stick to 25g net carbs per day. A small banana contains about 20 net carbs--that's a whopping 80% of my doctor recommended daily carb allowance. Half a medium banana is about 12 net carbs--almost half my daily carb allowance. Yeah, I could trade off and take medication and risk of side effects and be able to eat bananas without weight gain but I choose to not do that. I can enjoy any kinds of berries (except grapes, which are berries) and any kind of melon (except watermelon). So for some of us who are able to manage our insulin resistance without medication, there really IS such a thing as taboo bananas.

Mike, sometimes I'm logged on, go to post, and it tells me I can't post because I'm not logged on. You hit the nail on the head with your statement: "I think it has to do with how your body processes or stores it. Whether is used as energy to get you up and going (while leaving miss grouchy pants behind) or whether it's stored in your body (usually the trouble areas like hips, stomach, etc)" I agree with that 100%.

Annette, I have to really watch it with grandkids around. We always have cookies and snack cakes on hand. I am so lucky to have an excuse--my doctor told me to eat an evening snack at bedtime (fancy that!) of protein with a little fat (like chicken breast or peanut butter) with the niacin supplement I'm now taking to help control my cholesterol with diet but no medication. I just have to make sure it's not a large portion. I hope you enjoyed a nice walk today.

ohelp, some of the things I keep on hand to prevent me from going off the wagon are:
-- cooked chicken
--frozen chicken breasts or cutlets that can be microwaved
--canned tuna
--reduced fat Laughing Cow cream cheese wedges
--unsalted almonds
--protein shake mix
--zero cholesterol egg blend like EggBeaters, but I use the cheaper store brands
--strawberries, fresh or frozen

Libby, great job on your exercise!

Last edited by Mern; 01-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

Roxy; So sorry to hear about your kitty. My heart goes out to you. I hope kitty gets better soon. Water from canned tuna in water might get some fluids in kitty quickly. Unflavored Pedia-lyte might help too. We are rescuing a male kitty right now--he's over the first surgery but more is slated for later. I know it's difficult but take care of yourself too!

Debbie: I've never heard of frost quakes either but I wouldn't be at all surprised we didn't have some as wet as our ground was when it froze but we're no way as cold as you are. IT's cold enough though!

Mern: I'm with you on watching carbs and eating fruit. Fruit's good for you but not worth eating if it creates other problems. I love bananas, but for now, they're not on my food plan. I too must take medicine with food and I usually take it with protein or maybe nuts.

Annette: I've found that my grandkids with eat healthy food if they see me and/or my husband eating it. Sometimes I even offer them part of mine before I start eating. The last time I took the youngest out to eat, he asked for a salad rather than his usual burger/fries. I was pleased!

Ohelp: I cook fresh veggies--eating the fresh-cooked and chill them for salads. I always keep lettuce, frozen fish, chicken, Greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, turkey sausage and salsa on hand with frozen berries, fresh apples and a variety of raw, unsalted nuts. My MD has me to eat 1/2 serving of some kind of nut every day. I also use ground flax seed almost daily in something.

Got a new recipe for tonight-- a Mexican turkey meatloaf. Vicki
Old 01-08-2015, 10:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
I'd like to put my two cents worth in on weight gain and bananas. I refuse to take medication to keep my pre-diabetes reversed to normal blood sugar since I've proven to my doctor I can do it with diet alone--at least for now. Through my doc and I studying my food logs together and through trial and error, we determined that if I eat a total of 30 or more net carbs per day (total carbs less fiber) I gain weight no matter how few calories I eat or how much I exercise. My doctor told me the reason for that is that excess carbs/blood sugar are stored as fat. My blood sugar can remain in the normal zone if I stick to 25g net carbs per day. A small banana contains about 20 net carbs--that's a whopping 80% of my doctor recommended daily carb allowance. Half a medium banana is about 12 net carbs--almost half my daily carb allowance. Yeah, I could trade off and take medication and risk of side effects and be able to eat bananas without weight gain but I choose to not do that. I can enjoy any kinds of berries (except grapes, which are berries) and any kind of melon (except watermelon). So for some of us who are able to manage our insulin resistance without medication, there really IS such a thing as taboo bananas.

Mern
- This is exactly why I put the caveat at the end of my rant on food today. For those that don't follow a strict diet, a banana is not harmful. For those that have insulin sensitivity or diabetes, then yes a banana is not a good choice. Guess I should have elaborated in my comment. The fact that you choose to manage your health through healthy choices and not through medication should be applauded! I have total respect for your choice! What I should have said is that those that don't dietary limitations should not fear fruit. I hope I didn't insult you...that was certainly not my intention
Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie, oh my goodness--you didn't insult me at all. I know you would never put anyone down for a food choice. I was reading our posts here while pressed for time and I DID TOTALLY MISS your statement: "(side note: I know there are a few of us here who have health concerns that have them eating a specific diet. What I'm saying above is not to undermined anyone's way of eating. Just some general guidelines for those that don't need to follow a specific diet.)" Had I read that, my post about higher carb fruit and insulin resistance still would have been a component of, but not a major part of, my reply. Thanks so much for all your contributions: advice, sharing your knowledge and opinions, encouragement... You are a good bit of the glue that holds our group together. You keep people like me motivated or encouraged to crawl back time after time after falling off the wagon.

Vicki, my doctor told me to remember that if we need to or want to give up a specific food, we can always find the same nutrients in other foods. I don't need to (and don't) give up fruit entirely--just the really high carb ones. Also, a nurse told me that one can get many of the same nutrients in veggies as in fruits, even better yet, veggies often have MORE of the same nutrients that are found in fruits. As I veggie lover, I love that, but don't anyone even THINK of taking my melon and berries! LOL Wow, great job in influencing your grandson to order a salad instead of a burger and fries. What's in your Mexican turkey meatloaf?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

Mern: Meatloaf is in the oven right now and smells pretty good. After I taste it, IF it's any good, I'll post it. Like you, I love berries, but for right now, I'm concentrating on lean proteins and fresh veggies, increasing fiber and fluids. Vicki
Old 01-08-2015, 12:12 PM
FitDay Member

I just lost an hour and a half of my life!!

I lost all track of time while sitting in a LUSH bath!!
It was an amazing reward for my bicycle ass!! (You would never find my 'ass' bones during any kind of inspection - but the bicycle seat certainly did)

I do now, however, smell of Holly GoLightly bubble bar and Snowcake soap!!

AND I worked out today
And ate very well
And drank substantial water

Getting back in the groove!!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM
FitDay Member

Vicki, thanks for your intent to post your Mexican Turkey Meatloaf recipe if it turns out as good as you expect. One time I seemed to be craving blackberries and raspberries all the time. My dental hygenist was not happy because of how badly the blackberries stained my teeth and told me to cut back on them. It caused her a lot of work scraping away the stains. But now I use a pre-brush whitener so it's not as much of a problem as it once was.

Bea, after the question earlier this week about whether your weight gain was caused by lasagna or alcohol, I got a huge chuckle out of your post about the LUSH bath. Lush is also American slang for a drunkard or alcoholic. LOL But, my heart goes out to you on your sore butt bones! OUCHIE!!! Glad you enjoyed the comfort and wonderful scent of your bath and I hope it was very soothing. Major congrats on your food, workout, and water!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:10 PM
FitDay Member

Good evening all! I just put in 65 minutes on the bike....kind of my last minute workout before tomorrow's first weigh in in a long time! I feel good about how I did this week....ate on track and left a whole lotta sweat on the gym floor! So no matter what that scale reads tomorrow, I know I'm doing exactly what I need to do to get back to my goal.

Mern - My goodness! Thank you for the lovely compliment! I'm glad I'm able to motivate at times....wish I could always keep myself motivated! So true about veggies having a ton of nutrients! Love my veg too, but nobody better touch my blackberries! By far my favourite treat! mmmm!

Bea - I have bicycle ass too! I feel like my sit bones are piercing my skin!! I'm headed a long hot shower now....maybe a bath is a better idea. Ouch!!

Roxy - So sorry to hear about your kitty! I hope she takes a turn for the better and starts eating!

Libby - You sound like you have some pep in your step buddy! Exercise will do that eh! Nothing like the endorphins from a good workout. So you're enjoying aquafit? You're relatively new to it...right?

See you all tomorrow for regular Friday weigh day and our first Easter Challenge weigh in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.