Notices

Motivational Starting May 5, The wagon awaits, jump on

Old 05-07-2014, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

Hi all! Checking in just to say a quick hello...HELLO! Today has been another good day...staying on track with exercise and food but unfortunately the scale still refuses to budge. I'm again thinking I may just have to accept where I'm at and just maintain....since without my even trying to maintain...that's all I've accomplished for months! I'm at a healthy weight, I feel good and fit into all my clothes again....so why am I down? I guess it's because I set a goal and I still haven't achieved it? Either way, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens!

Originally Posted by taubele
...(I'm a neuroscientist, I study brains and stuff)

Terri
- Funniest quote ever! Congrats on landing a tenure position! Not an easy feat...from what I've been told! (my brother-in-law has his PHD in Kin and is trying desperately to get a professor position).

Later buddies!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

Wow! There's been like 3 pages of posts since I was last on.

Bea--Please be careful with walking with weights. Maybe go shorter distances a few times to see how it goes? Someone on here suggested ankle weights are better. I'm thinking that's true. Whatever you decide...just be careful.

Terri--Hello! We haven't met yet. It was nice to read some things about you in your post. At least you know that your weight gain was simply because you fell off track, and you know how to lose it again.

Mern--way to get so much done, and have some alone time to boot! How nice for you! so glad you are enjoying the Flatouts and Foldits so much!

Lidiia--Great job on the lost weight!

Libby--sorry you had a disappointing day and didn't find the gadget you needed for your project.

Debbie--Maybe your body is telling you that you're already perfect!

Well, I didn't get my workout in again today. After picking the kids up from school and such I took my car in to get my badly squealing brakes fixed and ended up sitting there for 2 hours. Came home and ended up having a much needed one on one talk with hubby about everything that's been going on (too much drama). By the time I got dinner done it was 7:30, and now I don't want to work out on a full tummy. I think I will just have to accept that I won't be able to do my 21 Day Fix program religiously like it's planned, and be ok with 3 or 4 times a week. That would still be pretty good, wouldn't it?

My problem this week? Eating too little. Either I'm completely overboard or I'm too low. Doesn't seem easy to hit my 1200-1400/day mark. This week I've been doing 1000-1100/day. ****Correction***** At the end of the day today I only ate 800 calories.

I found a new diet soda I love...Diet Dr. Pepper. Last night I discovered Diet Sprite and that was super good too. Both of them taste like regular soda, so I don't think I'll have a hard time anymore staying off the full sugar stuff. I know diet isn't the best thing for you, but until I get back on a the water wagon, that's the best I can do.

Last edited by JediMindTricks; 05-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

A couple pics from our rooftop last night.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM
FitDay Member

SF looks like a great place for a leisurely (yeah right!) stroll, up and down those hills!
(my calves and ass are aching, just thinking about it)

I didn't take my weights for a walk after all. I got a little concerned after doing some reading on it and knowing for sure, that is how I caused the torn tendon before.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

What beautiful pictures!

San Francisco was the last stop on my honeymoon years ago - it should have been the first stop!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 PM
FitDay Member

Mike - Those pics are awesome!!! What a view!

Jenai - As far as exercise goes, I think a better mindset is to aim for 7 days a week (they don't all need to be 21 day fix...1-2 day could be a walk or something lower in intensity). If you only get in 3-4 days that week, then that's okay and you don't need to beat yourself up. I think if you only aim for 3-4 and miss a few then you're only going to end up getting 1-2 days. I like to think of it as the following quote.

Aim for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars W. Clement

Yes, we can lose weight by diet alone, but if you can add in daily exercise, not only will you be more successful at weight loss but it will help you to maintain once you've lost the weight. Our bodies were made to move!! K, I'll get off the soap box now

Have an awesome day all!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:06 AM
FitDay Member

Wow Mike I love the second picture!! Mom, sis and I went to SF 20 yrs ago when we did a tour of CA. We got lucky and had a clear day for pictures.
Jenn
Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

Wow Lots of motivators this week. Congrats Terrie on the Tenure Track Position. They are hard to find. I think if I was young my choice of education would be the brain. There is so much exciting information coming out to change most of what we knew. I get to deal with a lot of people who have messed theirs up with drugs or alcohol - or alcohol their mothers consumed.

My scales is not moving this week despite calories being under control and lots of activity - 2 hours a day painting or cleaning. I'm hoping it will be one of those times when a pound or two disappear overnight -- after 10 days of good behaviour.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Debbie: Hello! Nice to meet you, and haha, thanks I don't try to be funny, but it happens sometimes. I do totally study brains and stuff, though! Thanks for the congrats. It was a stressful interview process but I think things will be good. I know how it can feel to maintain for months - last time I was on FitDay for a long time, I had a plateau for months and months at 165-170 lbs. It was not a healthy weight, but I think it was four or four and a half months where the scale didn't budge! It's super-frustrating. Try to find other things to be happy about, like being able to maintain a healthy weight for so long! I bet you'll see dividends if you just keep at it!

Jenai: Hi there! So nice to meet you! I sure hope I know how to lose it again. Last time I was so close to a healthy BMI (I was like 6 lbs. off) when I moved and I just stopped coming around due to all the crazy. I know I can do it again, but I've gotta take a deep breath and just be happy I didn't get entirely off the rails. You know, I never do plans religiously. If I had a life where I didn't have to work all the time, no hubs, no social obligations, sure, I could be fanatic and work out three hours a day and eat all the good things. But that's just not life. Accepting that is a GOOD thing. I'm glad you got a talk with the hubs accomplished and got your car fixed (car problems are SO stressful) - so that's life accomplishments! Wahoo for you! I love Diet Dr. Pepper too. I don't have soda anymore, but that's my go-to when I do.

Mike!!!: I missed saying hello to you earlier!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON THE HONEYMOON! Holy cow, SF looks beautiful, and I hope you are having an amazing time!!!!!!

Mary: Tenured positions are getting harder and harder to find. I'm lucky They seemed to really want me and I hope it's a good fit in the long run. The school is lovely. I'm heading up there next week for a curriculum meeting so fingers crossed! I bet that scale will eventually budge for you. It is a fickle mistress.

Mern: I need to get back on the flatout bread PRONTO!!!! I'll see if they sell it at my local store. It's such great stuff. Thanks so much for the welcome back, it'll be good to catch up!

Jenn: If there's one thing Mike up there taught me, it's to cut the crap excuses. Injuries are one thing, or legitimate emergencies. It's another when I just stopped and let myself be a little lazy. But that stops now!!!

If I missed anyone, sorry! Just getting back into the swing of things. Going to be a busy day today for me - just catching up here and logging my sleep, then I'm going to run over to the admin office to take care of reimbursement paperwork. Need to grade a lot of papers between now and Friday (I'd love to get them ALL done by end-of-day Friday, I have 14 papers to grade) and then I'll have 53 exams to grade after Friday (I got BOTH Friday final blocks, blergh!). Senior grades need to be in by Monday so they know who can graduate; luckily, I don't have TOO many senior things to grade (8 of the papers, and I think 6 of the exams are for seniors) so that's not too stressful. I do have that curricular meeting next week and then on the 24th I'm headed to a conference in Chicago. Also need to submit for ANOTHER conference in November and get two papers written this summer. Lots of non-teaching career-type stuff to do after a little lull in it, but I'd rather be busy than bored!

My legs are sore after three days of the 20 minute workouts (plus, I'm ONLY taking the stairs at work unless I am carrying heavy things) and I'm a little bit embarrassed by how easily I get sore again. Ah well. I'm going to try to keep up getting back into habits. I did note yesterday that SOME things stuck even when I got super-lazy, such as pretty much drinking only water and cutting out the majority of junk food, at least at home. It's the social eating that did me in. Way too many luncheons/dinners/student functions with food, and it's considered kind of rude to bring your own unless you have dietary allergies. I'm terrible when there's just a platter of food there laying in front of me. More willpower needed!! Also nervous because we're having a get-together this weekend for a few good friends, and hubs wants to cook alfredo. I'm going to try to eat lightly in the morning in preparation of the dinner calorie-bomb and portion myself well. There will probably also be alcohol calories. Yikes.

I'll weigh in on Friday morning and see what happened this week. I'm not looking for miracles, but we'll see if there's a budge.

Below I just finished my Wednesday logging that I hadn't completed as of last night. Check in with you all later!!

Daily Goals:
1) Drink at least 64 oz. of water-- M: yes T: yes W: yes
2) Calories on average ~1350 M: 1,562 T:1,427 W: 1,427 (the EXACT same? Holy cow. I ate totally different foods. That'll never happen again)Average: 1472
3) Shoot for ~25-30% of calories from protein across the week, daily and across week M: 22% T: 19% W: 17% (it's going down, I don't like that trend!)Average: 19.3%
4) No mindless eating!!!! M: yes T: no, I ate two pieces of bacon just because they were there W: yes
5) Getting back into workout routine - do 20 minute exercise routine M-F this week, every day, no excuses, it's twenty minutes. M: yes T: yes W: yes
6) Log everything M: yes T: yes W: yes. Had to guess on a couple of portion sizes, but I logged it.

Specific Day Goals (I'll just start these with Thursday)
Th: Call previous mentor, get that reimbursement paperwork submitted, senior final papers graded
F: Class #2 final papers have a good dent in them (over half graded)
Saturday: Control myself when we have people over for the evening. I'm allowed one treat.
Sunday: Do an extra workout! All senior exams graded

~Terri
Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Oh, my goodness! I can't believe how far behind I got with our group. I've been on track with food, water, and exercise--just haven't had time to post. I'm still up on the scale, too. I'm trying to cut back on the sodium, but I think beefing up my exercise intensity may be causing temporary water retention in my muscles.

I hope I didn't miss anyone, misread or misaddress anyone's posts. If I did, please correct me and accept my apologies.

Mike, the pics of SF are gorgeous! You're such a great photographer! Thanks for sharing those!

Kathy, hi. How are YOU doing?

Lidiia, you are doing a WONDERFUL job. Ooh, yum, that homemade chicken burger sounds great. Your goals are quite admirable. Keep up the good work!

Jenn, best wishes in your busy week and Big hug to ya! Kudos on your walk. Wishing you some great stocking up on healthful food. It is indeed rare for me, too, that housework all caught up and ME time comes on the same day.

Aimee, way to go on the 30 minutes elliptical. Even though you went off track on food, the exercise was great for your muscles, heart, etc. You'll get back on track!

Jenai, belated congrats on your 20th anniversary! I empathize with you on the candy. Kudos on your self control! Those Flatouts and Foldits you recommended were such a blessing. I've been doing low carb since 2002 and although I enjoy my low carb tortillas, the Flatout and Foldits are the first REAL BREAD I've been able to healthfully enjoy in all those years. Thanks SO MUCH! I'm also very happy that my husband is making that his bread of choice more often. Heck yeah, friend--if doing your 21 Day Fix three or four times a week is your best effort under the circumstances of your situation right now, you can be proud of that. I do diet soda, but sometimes drink more of it than I should. Diet soda is indeed better than too little water. A friend of mine who is a nurse said one's body doesn't know the difference--except for alcohol, if it's wet your body gladly accepts the water in it. It even appreciates the water in veggies such as celery and cucumbers.

Libby, congrats on your nice reports. Do you think you might be ready to commit to just three minutes of exercise per day and try to add one minute just a couple days a week? Best wishes on your project.

Terri, it's so easy for the weight to come back on so gradually that we hardly notice until we go clothes shopping or step on the scale after a while. Kudos on points in the healthful lifestyle sticking with you--like drinking more water and limiting junk food. You've done a superb job of getting back on track in the past and you will again, especially with a bit of a lighter work load summer. Oh, my, you are one busy lady! Be aware that we KNOW that and we don't expect anyone to have to reply to all the posts. I don't work outside the home myself and for two days honestly didn't have time read the posts. Quite admirable goals and you're doing well on them. Special best wishes on your Saturday food control and on your new job. I know what tenure is--what is TENURE-TRACK? I've got a new great-granddaughter who is 8 1/2 months old. Her mother is my granddaughter who was living with me. She got married last year and took a year off college but is returning this fall. She was majoring in psychology but is changing her major and her husband is an engineering student. Both of them also hold jobs. They are living with his parents until they finish college. We just love her husband and his family. Anyway, the baby is so adorable that I actually ASKED if I could babysit her a couple days a week and we have really bonded. She's the light of my life.

Hope--nice reports! Thanks for your encouragement.

Debbie, congrats on the intensity of your workouts, too. And thanks for your encouragement. I remember back in 1981 I had reached my ideal weight but wanted a slight hedge and couldn't lose that last half pound no matter what I tried. Remember it's not the numbers on the scale that count, but how we look and feel in our clothes. Isn't that really the goal of all of us here? You've earned that spending spree--go for it!

Bea, glad you're OK, but I've told my husband many times that taking a chance on food that may be spoiling isn't a good idea. From the voice of experience: medication you might need for a stomach ache or mild "intestinal disturbance", and extra flushing and bathroom tissue would likely cost more than the food you'd be wiser to discard. I'm almost 223 lbs. and at only 2.5 miles an hour on the treadmill get a great workout--heart rate gets up to target and I am sweating by the time I'm done walking 2 miles. I know I'm still getting a good workout. We "more mass" girls burn more calories because it is more work for us to do the exercise of younger, more trim women. We're OK--give yourself a pat on the back! Glad to have read later on that you decided against the weights. I got tendonitis and bursitis in my shoulder several years ago from using weights above my head. I cried off and on for several days from the intense pain and wound up at an orthopaedic surgeon's office and then in physical therapy. They were three lb. weights and the physical therapist told me that's too heavy for me.

Mary, sending you whoosh wishes! Kudos on being good on your committment to a healthy lifestyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.