FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Bread alternatives (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/9453-bread-alternatives.html)

bobhitching 04-18-2013 08:53 PM

Bread alternatives

I am trying to eliminate all bread for the short term. I use celery to dip into Hummus and salsa but I am trying to think of other foods to dip.

Thanks
Bob

carolynnq 04-19-2013 05:04 AM

Lots of vegetables can be used to dip: carrot sticks or planks, halved mushrooms, zucchini or yellow squash rounds, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower. Or you can spread dip/hummus or tuna salad on a lettuce leaf and roll it up.

wildbeanerz 04-19-2013 07:05 AM

I like to slice tomato and put a touch of tuna salad on each slice and eat that. No bread required.

Freshman30 06-28-2013 02:52 PM

Unsalted pop corn can be fun for dipping or munching! I put cucumbers on almost everything, slice them the long way and make a sweet sandwich sub!

Kwest85blue 06-28-2013 03:46 PM

grainless bread

Have you ever thought of using grainless bread, also known as paleo bread... They use either coconut or almonds to make it, and has 6 carbohydrates and 5 grams of fiber per slice. I love using this bread, there is no yeast, and no grains. Its high in fiber and protein and very versatile. I usually get mine from Hy-Vee grocery stores, but you can also buy it from their website at Julianbakery.com .

sandrew834 08-02-2013 12:04 AM

You can use lots of vegetable in dip, or use only tomatto.

Mern 08-05-2013 05:08 AM

I dip raw or frozen green beans into ranch dressing. I also dip lean, leftover cold meat such as skinless chicken breast.

Woolhope 09-29-2013 05:42 AM

Low carb bread

Originally Posted by bobhitching (Post 98146)
I am trying to eliminate all bread for the short term. I use celery to dip into Hummus and salsa but I am trying to think of other foods to dip.

Thanks
Bob

It depends on why you are eliminating bread , I am avoiding 'bad' carbs so use low or no carb bread. Use Portobello mushroom as a bread substitute for hamburgers and English muffin substitute under poached egg. So far so good.
Low carb bread must be kept refrigerated.

davidjackson01 10-21-2013 08:30 PM

You can utilize lots of vegetable in dip.

ecoberry1 10-25-2013 05:03 AM

"Have you ever thought of using grainless bread, also known as paleo bread... They use either coconut or almonds to make it, and has 6 carbohydrates and 5 grams of fiber per slice. I love using this bread, there is no yeast, and no grains. Its high in fiber and protein and very versatile. I usually get mine from Hy-Vee grocery stores, but you can also buy it from their website at Julianbakery.com

I'm so excited about this! I was just informed that I'm borderline diabetic and I've been trying really hard to cut carbs as much as possible. I'm trying to go semi-paleo (I can't quit dairy) and I'm having a hard time figuring how to eliminate bread. Not only do I have a store in my area that sells this, but it's a small company in Julian (San Diego County, CA) near where I grew up!