FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Bread alternatives (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/9453-bread-alternatives.html)

bobhitching 04-18-2013 08:53 PM

Bread alternatives

I am trying to eliminate all bread for the short term. I use celery to dip into Hummus and salsa but I am trying to think of other foods to dip.

Thanks
Bob

carolynnq 04-19-2013 05:04 AM

Lots of vegetables can be used to dip: carrot sticks or planks, halved mushrooms, zucchini or yellow squash rounds, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower. Or you can spread dip/hummus or tuna salad on a lettuce leaf and roll it up.

wildbeanerz 04-19-2013 07:05 AM

I like to slice tomato and put a touch of tuna salad on each slice and eat that. No bread required.

Freshman30 06-28-2013 02:52 PM

Unsalted pop corn can be fun for dipping or munching! I put cucumbers on almost everything, slice them the long way and make a sweet sandwich sub!

Kwest85blue 06-28-2013 03:46 PM

grainless bread

Have you ever thought of using grainless bread, also known as paleo bread... They use either coconut or almonds to make it, and has 6 carbohydrates and 5 grams of fiber per slice. I love using this bread, there is no yeast, and no grains. Its high in fiber and protein and very versatile. I usually get mine from Hy-Vee grocery stores, but you can also buy it from their website at Julianbakery.com .

sandrew834 08-02-2013 12:04 AM

You can use lots of vegetable in dip, or use only tomatto.

Mern 08-05-2013 05:08 AM

I dip raw or frozen green beans into ranch dressing. I also dip lean, leftover cold meat such as skinless chicken breast.

Woolhope 09-29-2013 05:42 AM

Low carb bread

Originally Posted by bobhitching (Post 98146)
I am trying to eliminate all bread for the short term. I use celery to dip into Hummus and salsa but I am trying to think of other foods to dip.

Thanks
Bob

It depends on why you are eliminating bread , I am avoiding 'bad' carbs so use low or no carb bread. Use Portobello mushroom as a bread substitute for hamburgers and English muffin substitute under poached egg. So far so good.
Low carb bread must be kept refrigerated.

davidjackson01 10-21-2013 08:30 PM

You can utilize lots of vegetable in dip.

ecoberry1 10-25-2013 05:03 AM

"Have you ever thought of using grainless bread, also known as paleo bread... They use either coconut or almonds to make it, and has 6 carbohydrates and 5 grams of fiber per slice. I love using this bread, there is no yeast, and no grains. Its high in fiber and protein and very versatile. I usually get mine from Hy-Vee grocery stores, but you can also buy it from their website at Julianbakery.com

I'm so excited about this! I was just informed that I'm borderline diabetic and I've been trying really hard to cut carbs as much as possible. I'm trying to go semi-paleo (I can't quit dairy) and I'm having a hard time figuring how to eliminate bread. Not only do I have a store in my area that sells this, but it's a small company in Julian (San Diego County, CA) near where I grew up!

MissClara 02-20-2014 09:57 PM

I had give up long time ago to bread , i dont even miss it!

escf 02-21-2014 09:28 AM

Kale chips are a trendy bread/chip alternative.

Here's how you make them:

Preheat oven (toaster oven works best) to 225F. Tear kale into pieces (uniform is more important than size--but they shrink down so don't make the pieces too small). Place kale on a non-stick cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (they might stick to a regular cookie sheet). Sprinkle generously with spices such as sea salt, nutritional yeast, Old Bay seasoning (my fave), powdered ginger, garlic salt or anything you like. Bake for 7-10 minutes until dark green and crispy--careful not to burn!

topspally 02-22-2014 06:18 AM

One thing to remember is that grainless bread usually is VERY high in calories. All of the ones I have found are 200 plus per slice. Not sure where you are going with your post if you don't want carbs or just grain or just yeast or? Instead of bread use baked corn chips or rice crackers, both very low calorie. if you are wanting a sandwich or a grain free situation, I agree with the lettuce leaf or kale leaf roll up idea. Stuffing tuna salad in a hollowed out tomato is a lovely meal, you can wrap it up in plastic rap to take to work or what ever. It is very easy to eat kind of like a sandwich. Romaine lettuce serves as a great on the go bread alternative or endive as well. When I had to give up carbs for my health situation, I was giving up most carbs for a week a month for a while, now I don't even want them, bread, yuck. hahahaha, no really. I wish you luck on your quest. Good idea asking the forum, folks have great ideas.
and hey, ask your doctor about it first, but water is my life saver, drink (safe, clean) water

topspally 02-22-2014 06:20 AM

OMG Thanks escf. I love kale chips So savory So eye pleasing So yummy and SO LOW CALORIE
Thanks for the great recipe. My buddy makes them in a food dehydrator

topspally 02-22-2014 06:26 AM

I agree Miss Clara. My doctor told me that I can only have very few carbs per day to be healthy so bread had to be cut out and now it just seems yucky. I used to be addicted to it and ate a loaf of bread (or more) and a stick of butter per day. Now I would no more eat that than a bale of styrofoam. LOL

besttoaster 02-25-2014 08:01 PM

Th you very much for sharing this information with us.
I hope you will enjoy the product info i shared with you.

calicafe 05-16-2014 10:52 PM

Unsalted take hammer toe might be enjoyable pertaining to dimming or perhaps munching! My partner and i set cucumbers with every thing, peel these individuals the good way in addition to produce a lovely meal bass speaker!