best options for munchies? >

best options for munchies?

Community
Notices

best options for munchies?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default best options for munchies?

what are some of the most fiiling, yet very low cal foods you know of? I'm looking for fairly safe foods for when the 'feed me' demon is at its worst.

I'm thinking a whole cucumber or head of romaine lettuce, or a few cups of plain poped corn. Thoughts?
tia.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
FitDay Member

Believe it or not a single wedge of Laughing Cow cheese is fantastic. Eat it slowly with a big glass of water. Somehow or another the calories of it are balanced enough to shoo away most indeterminate cravings and at 35 calories, they won't break the budget.

Another good one is 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, a packet or two of sweetener (your choice) and 3/4 - 1 cup of frozen blueberries, stir it all together and let the berries freeze the milk. It's yummy and at 50-60 calories you can afford to eat it a couple time/day without issue.

Sugar free chocolate pudding cup, 60 calories. If you find that you eat them too fast, put them in the freezer.

Green beans, raw, steamed, boiled, whatev. A whole quart of them has about 100 calories and they are quite filling.

Roasted veggies, feels like a cheat, tastes like a cheat, but it's not a cheat at all. Mist them lightly with olive oil or cooking spray and eat as many as you want.

1 Hershey's kiss, keep them in the fridge or freezer so they take a lot longer to melt on your tongue, at 20 calories each you can maybe afford to eat a few, but don't push it.

Almonds, 10-15 with a big glass of water.

A 4 oz can of tuna packed in water, with a big fat squeeze of spicy mustard.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

For general unspecific hunger a large cup of peppermint tea or liqorice tea often works for me. Or a large glass of water with a few drops of peppermint essence in.

Another trick is, if you are craving something specific, to try and analyze what exactly is the taste you want, and then find something low cal that has the same taste. For me it is often salt or grill taste i want when I'm craving fries or burgers. Then I pour a small amount of barbeque seasoning on a small plate and "snack" on it by dipping my finger in it and licking it off. I know it sounds strange, but it works well for me. I get the taste I want without the calories.

Some people think that specific cravings are a symptom that you are lacking some vitamin or mineral in your diet, and so a daily multi vitamin pill would prevent these cravings.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

I sometimes just need to chew on something. Sugarless gum works for that urge. Tonight I am craving someting but don't know what will cut off the hunger yet. I am sipping a cup of licorice tea --first time I've tried it. Chocolate Chai tea works for me and has no calories -- unless I make a latte out of it but it is still a low calorie treat. Mary
Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kydilee
what are some of the most fiiling, yet very low cal foods you know of? I'm looking for fairly safe foods for when the 'feed me' demon is at its worst.

I've found nothing better than pickles! A large dill is only about 20 calories. If it wasn't for the high amount of sodium, it would be perfect. But I think the sodium is also what helps to curb the appetite.

I ate huge amounts of pickles when I was trying to get used to a lower caloric intake. Now I don't eat them as often because I'm used to my 1700 calorie intake.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Almeeker had some great suggestions. I triple her suggestion about the laughing cow cheese wedges - they taste luxurious but you can completely afford them if you eat them slowly. I also find that popcorn kills my cravings for a "pop-in-your-mouth-crunchy" craving. Homemade tortilla chips and hummus or other low-fat dip (salsa is what I usually go for) is good too (you'd be amazed how good some flatbread, placed in an oven with butter cooking spray spritzed on it and sea salt can taste - sometimes I even grill it) - you just have to be certain of how many you can eat for however many calories.