Notices

I just discovered roasted veggies!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up I just discovered roasted veggies!

So, this spring I discovered roasted vegetables. I REALLY am enjoying them. a Little olive or canola oil, salt and pepper, then in the oven or on the grill in a tinfoil packet for 20-30 min, depending on the veg. Then I got to thinking, if I am now tracking my calories, should I go back to microwaved with a little "I can't believe its not butter"? Any thoughts?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Calories do count, but the monounsaturated fat in canola and olive oils is the kind that's very good for you. I'd suggest working it into your calorie budget for better nutrition and better taste.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:50 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Oh yeah... roasted veggies are a whole different favor profile. Don't worry about calories too much, just enjoy the flavors!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 PM
FitDay Member

I love roasted asparagus with peper,herbs and a little sea salt. I tend to spray a little Pam spray on the foil and a little ontop the veggies. They turn out delicious everytime. Asparagus takes less than 10mins in the oven, perfect for me.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I love roasted veggies but I watch the calories. It's not hard to do both... in the case of veggies, portion size is equally important, IMO. When you measure the amount of veggies, after roasting, and take into account the oil you've added, does it throw you off-track so that you go above your daily limit of calories? If so, then re-think the portion size!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default roasted okra

one of my favorites lately. roast in a medium size pan w approximately tablespoon olive oil. i dust the okra with a little cornmeal before placing on pan so it's more like fried okra.

i def. agree w a previous post on this thread about roasted asparagus. Roasting is by far its best application as it seems to amplify asparagus's inherent nutty flavor. delicious.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM
FitDay Member

Grill those veggies and love them!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 PM
FitDay Member

The other night I was making leg of lamb for dinner. The Irish girl within me was Jonesing for oven fried potatoes in the worst way, but we were out of them so I grabbed a bag of baby carrots, spritzed them with ICBNB olive oil, sprinkled them with salt and pepper and tossed them on a cookie sheet in the oven. The kids LOVED them, and now they call them "carrot fries". Okay they are a little more fattening than a raw carrot stick, but not nearly so bad as an order of fries at McD's.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 PM
FitDay Member

What I do is I weigh the vegetable raw and log it that way in fit day then measure the olive oil I'm going to coat them with and then add that to fit day. That way everything is all accounted for. I highly recommend beets and radishes! I don't like pickled beets but roasted they're absolutely great. Radishes turn out really well too, a little less spicy and just as flavorful.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Mmn, I’m a big fan of slicing up fresh zucchini and asparagus, drizzle it with olive oil, a little salt, pepper and crushed dried rosemary. Delicious!
Calories can be a bit of a worry, but in the end your body needs fat, and it needs oil to lube up your systems, so long as you’re tracking the amount of oil you use and are aware of the calories adding oil isn’t a bad thing. The issue is when everything is deep fried and covered in grease. It concerns me when people take the all or nothing approach to foods, it’s all in moderation, and that little oil to ensure some delicious vegetables is worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.