Favorite Slow Cooker Recipies?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM
  #1  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default Favorite Slow Cooker Recipies?

Got a slow cooker for Christmas.

Made some awesome turkey chili for our family Christmas potluck supper. Basically ground turkey, onion, two cans of kidney beans, a can of black beans and two cans of tomato soup. Some garlic, chili powder and cumin to spice it up (and a small can of green chilis that I added to the recpie)--um, um!

Tomorrow I'm making pulled pork. A four pound pork butt cooked for 10 hours w/salt and pepper. Got the low cal/carb whole wheat buns to put it on with a modest amount of BBQ sauce--hope it's tasty.

Anyone care to share their favorite healthy slow cooker recipies?

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 PM
  #2  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 134
Default

Pork Verde-
Pork loin cut into cubes, diced onion, garlic, canned diced green chili's... add a splash of green taco sauce or water if need more liquid. Simmer on low for 6-8 hours. Serve in a tortilla or over rice.

Beefy onion cabbage soup-
Beef, cut into strips(1 lb +/-). Sliced onion. Shredded cabbage (1/2+/- head) Beef bouillion (3 cups) Simmer all day, stir occassionally.

Sweet N Sauerkraut Keilbalsa-
Layer sauerkraut, sliced onion, sliced apple, sliced potato, sliced keilbalsa sausage. Mix a couple tbsp honey (OK to substitue Stevia), & brown mustard, with 4 oz beer - poor over top. Simmer for a couple hours.
LisaAnnie is offline  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 AM
  #3  
Super Moderator
 
cjohnson728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,083
Default

I've posted this before in another thread, but...

Put a pound of (thawed or frozen) chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Cover with a jar of salsa and add any spices you like. Cook 6-8 hours; the chicken will literally fall apart when pulled with a fork and is great to put on salads, in tacos, in quesadillas, etc. It tastes like getting chicken in a Mexican restaurant, except this way you can use low fat cheese, low carb tortillas, etc., and know exactly what's in your food.

I've done the pulled pork, Michael. You will love it!
cjohnson728 is offline  
Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
  #4  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Great ideas! The pork verde and the salsa chicken sound tasty. Thanks!

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 AM
  #5  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
I've done the pulled pork, Michael. You will love it!
You're right--the pulled pork came out awesome. The fat content is a little high (removed as much as I could after cooking) so I won't make it really often but it tastes great and is really filling.

I think the salsa chicken is up next--perhaps on some brown rice or in a wrap would be good.

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 AM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
cjohnson728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,083
Default

Glad you are enjoying your slow cooker! I used a pork tenderloin when I did it; I don't know if that is a less fatty cut of meat or not but it seemed pretty lean. Our grocery puts them on sale and I stock up and freeze them.

With the chicken, I usually throw in whatever spices you would find in packaged taco mix. My favorite way to eat it is on a pile of lettuce with shredded lowfat cheese and a few tortilla chips crumbled on top. Hadn't thought to try it on rice, but that sounds really good now that you mention it. And you have me hungry for turkey chili, too, so maybe this weekend. What all did you put in yours?

I like the idea of having this thread; I don't use my slow cooker enough and could always use the motivation to try things in it.

BTW, Congrats on your amazing progress so far. I know it's hard work and I admire your diligence .
cjohnson728 is offline  
Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM
  #7  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
Glad you are enjoying your slow cooker! I used a pork tenderloin when I did it; I don't know if that is a less fatty cut of meat or not but it seemed pretty lean. Our grocery puts them on sale and I stock up and freeze them.

With the chicken, I usually throw in whatever spices you would find in packaged taco mix. My favorite way to eat it is on a pile of lettuce with shredded lowfat cheese and a few tortilla chips crumbled on top. Hadn't thought to try it on rice, but that sounds really good now that you mention it. And you have me hungry for turkey chili, too, so maybe this weekend. What all did you put in yours?

I like the idea of having this thread; I don't use my slow cooker enough and could always use the motivation to try things in it.

BTW, Congrats on your amazing progress so far. I know it's hard work and I admire your diligence .
Here's a link to the recipe I used for the turkey chili:
Laura's Quick Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Recipe - Allrecipes.com

It was a little too spicy for my wife, of course I "might" have used a tad more chili powder and cumin than it called for but everyone else liked it.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm about half way to where I'd like to be, but it will come. Now, as I've opined before, the REAL challange is what you've been able to do--maintain. Losing and gaining weight is something I'm very good at--maintaining a weight is something I've never done. Congrats to you for doing it!

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
  #8  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
I've posted this before in another thread, but...

Put a pound of (thawed or frozen) chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Cover with a jar of salsa and add any spices you like. Cook 6-8 hours; the chicken will literally fall apart when pulled with a fork and is great to put on salads, in tacos, in quesadillas, etc. It tastes like getting chicken in a Mexican restaurant, except this way you can use low fat cheese, low carb tortillas, etc., and know exactly what's in your food.

I've done the pulled pork, Michael. You will love it!
I also tried this, the sauce ended up being a little thin so I added a cup of brown rice and made stuffed green peppers. Turned out great.
soko44mag is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.