Notices

Low Carb Recipes

Old 01-26-2010, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Low Carb Recipes

My wife and I prefer to cook meals from scratch, does anyone have recipes for low carbs? I am running right at 48% carb intake, and looking to reduce it to 40%.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default Here's one

Marinated chunked veggies can be served with grilled shrimp, salmon, roasted chicken or even steak for a quick low-carb meal.

Choose mushrooms, zucchini, multi-colored bell peppers, eggplant and red onion, all cut to roughly the same size chunks. Toss in a large bowl with a marinade (make your own or use a light commercial bottled dressing) use some fresh herbs if they're available - cover and leave overnight in the fridge.

Then spread them out (or use skewers) under the broiler or grill them. Yumm... you can serve them hot and chill the leftovers. (If there are any!)They're great the next day, too, after the flavors have developed.

Enjoy!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:14 PM
FitDay Member

You can also go to Atkins Diet & Low Carbohydrate Support, they have plenty of ideas
Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 AM
FitDay Member

Post Low Carb Trick

One of my favorite ways to lower the carbs at dinner is to make "mashed potatoes" from cauliflower or yellow squash/zucchini.

Just boil up a head of cauliflower (or squash)- I put either salt or bouillon in the water, as it takes less salt to flavor while cooking than if you add it at the end. Boil until soft enough to push a knife into easily.

Drain it very well - very important. Mash it like you would potatoes, adding a little soy milk (or whatever you use at home) to get it creamy. I add a tablespoon of dried potato flakes to the batch to help it get the right consistency, but it isnt necessary if you have drained it well.

Add pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt to taste. Grated Parmesan is also good.

I have served these to people who had no clue they weren't eating potatoes!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

those *mock* mashed potatoes are good with a wedge or two of light laughing cow cheese mashed in to them..yummmm

tonight Im making a taco salad:

lean ground beef - I cook it in water rather then oil
1 package of low sodium taco seasoning added
(follow directions on package)

1 small head of leaf lettuce, spinach, any dark green lettuce
peppers
onions
tomatoes
rinsed and drained black beans (can heat thru meat mixture)

layer salad mix on plate..top with some taco mixture,,,add some low fat sour cream, salsa, shredded low fat cheese.

quick and easy!