Homemade ravioli >

Homemade ravioli

Community
Notices

Homemade ravioli

Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default Homemade ravioli

I was inspired to make homemade pasta when I watched an episode of Eric Ripert's 'Avec Eric' on amazon instant video (free to amazon prime members).

I went online and found a recipe that uses eggbeaters (liquid egg substitute, basically egg whites).

4 cups flour (just all-purpose flour)
7/8 cup eggbeaters (I used over a cup and still had to use more!)
1 tbsp olive oil
dash of salt (for me, that's at least a half teaspoon)

You make a mound of flour, scoop out a little space in the middle, and deposit the other ingredients. Then start mixing the flour into the liquid with your hand (s) to make a paste and knead that into a dough. I wear disposable latex gloves when I mix and knead, so I can through out the dough-caked gloves later.

After you've kneaded the dough until the flour is very well-incorporated, put a little flour on a big smooth cutting board or a slab of marble and start flattening it with a rolling pin. It is tough dough - after I get it pretty thin, I have to stretch it with my hands (it's kind of stretchy, rubbery, even) but because it's tough, it doesn't tear very easily.

This is not your standard pasta dough!

I made a ravioli filling of egg beaters, part-skim ricotta, dried parsley, and finely grated pecorino cheese.

Put a tablespoon of the filling on the stretched out sheet of dough and fold the dough over the filling. Then press down around the dough and cut fairly close to the filling to produce just one ravioli dumpling.

There are more efficient ways to do this but I was working without a pasta machine or any dumpling molds. Eric and his Italian friend made it look easy but they were dealing with different dough. Eventually, I had a method for lining up a few mounds of filling and folding the dough over so I could make several at once. It was a time-consuming process. The longer I worked at it, the more tired I got, and the thicker the dumplings seemed to be.Oh, well. It was late at night.

I boiled the dumplings in salted water and put a little butter and parmesan cheese on them and gave some to my husband. The filling is tasty, and when the dough was fairly thin, the dumplings aren't too heavy.

I kept all the ravioli I made in the refrigerator, in a tupperware container with some olive oil. When I heated them up on moderate heat for quite a while in some simple tomato sauce (the simplest: onions, garlic, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and canned ground tomatoes), they still tasted good. Maybe the really heavy ones' dough softened up a bit, I don't know...

I'm going to search through all the stuff in my kitchen and see if I can't find some wonton molds or anything that helps streamline the process. I'm not going to buy a pasta machine unless it's at a thrift shop - they have so many gadgets at the local thrift shop, I'd be crazy not to. Using a pasta machine, the dough gets pressed out nicely (no rolling pin - that's the machine's job).

I still have a blob of pasta dough in the container in the fridge - next, I'll try to make something else with it - canneloni, maybe? Tortellini might be difficult. As it is, the ravioli were sealed just by pressing down on the edges to flatten a narrow margin, using a butter-spreader.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 08-10-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:33 AM
Banned

Every Italian dish has its own flavor. Even the ravioli recipes are so diverse that you can surprise your loved ones with this dish almost every day! Unlike traditional dumplings, the dough of the product includes the highest quality olive oil and eggs. Therefore, the finished dish has a golden color and rich taste.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:40 AM
Banned

Italian food is perfect! I live in USA, but this food is my weakness. My favorite dish is ravioli. I've tried it in all Italian restaurants in our city. Now I decide to buy such equipmentfor me. It is convenient, really! Now I can enjoy ravioli at home. I am happy!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 05-09-2022 at 11:17 AM. Reason: link
Old 04-05-2021, 02:02 AM
FitDay Member

Oh, homemade ravioli is a delicious! My grandma cook it when i was child.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:44 AM
FitDay Member

It has been a while since you first posted this recipe, Kathy. Looking to copy it. Any revisions to your own recipe that you’d recommend?
Old 02-12-2022, 08:19 PM
Banned

I love Italian foods and dishes it's taste very sweet ...
Old 05-09-2022, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

Tell me some tasty dishes that you can make without the oven?
I want to surprise my girlfriend)
I would be very grateful)
Old 10-14-2022, 05:02 PM
FitDay Member

If you are a biryani lover then typeveg biryani riceand get it at your place by Hungry House.