Notices

Fast Food Free

Old 05-21-2010, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

I've never been much of a fast-food addict, but I was at McDonalds with a group about a month ago and managed to eat a meal that made me full but not ill and was 525 calories. I had a hamburger, side salad with balsamic vinaigrette (1/2 pkg), a fruit parfait for dessert and a diet coke. Not too bad. McDonalds has a nutrition calculator you can use before you go to decide what choices to make. If I hadn't used it, I probably would've ordered a cheeseburger and small fries and still would've been hungry and ordered some other high-calorie high-fat item afterwards.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

I don't really crave fast food, except maybe KFC once in awhile but I can count the times I had fast food in the past calendar year and that may have been a couple times. My kids are grown and moved away, so I don't have to take them and like others have commented, it just doesn't taste right after being away from it. What I do is make my own fast food, by baking it instead of frying it or making it myself in the case of pizza with ground white turkey and fat free cheese and cutting it into proportion sizes and freezing them on a tray in the freezer and then popping them in a bag. I may make one serving of fries in the toaster oven and a breaded chicken filet with a bun and that is lower in calorie than Wendy's. I use ff mayonnaise and pile up the lettuce and onions and other low calorie condiments if I desire.

I have found that all fast food can be made at home, if not in advance, such as tacos, at least in a low calorie way. I know snack foods weren't addressed, but where I used to eat potato chips by the large family bag, I have learned to substitute tortilla chips, which I don't care for as much but an individual serving with some salsa takes away the salt craving. I can now have a bag of chips in the house for a low cal sandwich, like a turkey burger, when I want it.

As you see, I am not really on a restrictive diet, but what I think is a healthy one that doesn't deprive me, if I eat the proper proportion. Extra-large fries and a double quarter pounder or double whopper with cheese followed up by a large diet whatever, which is what I used to eat is not only not healthy, but to me average weight people just don't eat that way, most of the time.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default fast foods

Today I would like to begin ending my relationship with fast food. My husband is in the Air Force and overseas, fast food wasn't tempting at all to me. I lost 30 lbs and now I've gained it all back. Everywhere I look there is something new to try and I can't controld myself. I would like to get back in the habit of only eating at home. Case and point, Chick-Fil-A has a new spicy chicken sandwich, I'd really like one and I'm struggling to pass it by. I lack discipline and control. I will really need the support of you all. I am new to FitDay and still learning the site.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

MSunderstood601: Congrats on recognizing that you crave fast food! That's an awesome first step.

It's now been over two months since I've had fast food. I'm not going to lie, I still crave that McDonald's burger that I first wrote about on this thread. Somehow I have resisted the urge. (I grab a yogurt or something yummy when I want fast food now) I know you can do it if you consciously think about it.

Try and think about the money you could be saving by eating at home instead? That's what keeps me eating at home instead of taking the easy way out. (I'm a cheap-o and money is tight at the moment)

Congrats on joining fitday as well. Since I started I've lost 17.6 pounds. This is the first time in my life I have consciously tried to change my life for the better and become healthy.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default mmmm....

I'm trying to remember the last time that I had fast food. It's had to have been over 6 months ago. I wasn't even eating healthy back then, I stopped getting fast food when my husband got laid off back in October. Just didn't have the spare money to spend.

I guess that the closest thing that I've had to a fast food meal was a fried chicken liver snak pack meal with mixed vegetables and a small iced tea from the local grocery store cafe thing. I ate all the vegetables and only half the meat with the coating picked off.

I have to say that I do miss the mandarine orange cups and Ceasars salads from Wendys and the parfaits from McD.

Never have been much of a burger eater...not even at home.

My weakness now is the fried catfish fillets that my hubby makes. So, just about once a week I eat a couple fillets and a handful of french fries. Fried catfish isn't the healthiest...but, it just tastes sooooooooooo good.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Nope, I'm done with fast food. Subway is as close as I'll get and that is bad enough will all the chemicals and crap they add to their bread and meat.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

Once in a while, a small fries and a salad with your own low calorie dressing is a reasonable treat. My mom used to keep a small bottle in her purse when she was dieting.

What works for me when I crave something that is tasty but isn't dietary is focusing on nutrition. Many of us need to restrict calories to lose weight but by doing so, we are also giving up extra sources essential nutrients - its very hard to be a healthy dieter. There are very few fast food choices that contain adequate nutrition, most of it is wasteful calories. There are many reasons we seek to curb wastefulness - food should not be an exception for a healthy daily lifestyle. Every person is worth wholesome nourishment and timely splurges, so time your splurges well and focus on feeding your body's needs before its wants.

Good luck !!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
FitDay Member

I love Pizza... I try to treat myself to a slice every so often just so I don't binge out on a large pizza to myself.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 PM
FitDay Member

Oh the deja vu. i was like 30kgs over weight at 18 and i use to eat fast foods multiple times a day. I regret it so bad and try to avoid it as much as possible. Keep it up and try stay away
Old 06-18-2010, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

Luckily most of the 'fast food' chains have realized that there is a segment of the population that wants to eat healthier. I was working out of town, staying in a hotel and therefore eating out for all my meals during the week. I was only home on the weekend. I would eat a Grilled Chicken Ranch Salad with basalmic vinagrette dressing from McDonalds or a Southwest Chili salad from Wendys (without the sour cream or dressing) daily. Not perfect choices but half the calories of a Big Mac and Fries! Now when I am traveling with my family and we stop along the way I have no trouble eating a salad while the rest of the family has burgers and chicken nuggets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.