FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   FitDay Reports (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-reports/)
-   -   Any way to log supplements? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-reports/439-any-way-log-supplements.html)

peptopinkboots 02-18-2010 01:06 PM

Any way to log supplements?

I take several, and I was wondering if there's a way to record that?

Many thanks, from a newbie.

habitsrule 02-20-2010 12:01 AM

I am a Newbie at FitDay as well. I created my supplements as a custom food which I can then enter on my daily log.

Raijer 02-24-2010 11:55 AM

Vitamin question

I'm a long time Fitday user. I bought the PC version a couple of years ago, and since I just got myself a new computer, I was thinking of upgrading to version 2.

However, more than once both my girlfriend (another looong time user) and I have tried to contact the site with a question about Fitday's nutritional information, specifically how it tracks vitamins. The numbers have NEVER added up correctly, and I thought maybe, now that Fitday has a forum, I can once again try to get an answer.

Running a very basic test, I create a custom food - a "Test Vitamin." This food has no other nutritional information except vitamins, all of which contain an even 100% RDA. It looks something like this....

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/7074/vitamintest.jpg

I then go to my daily food log, and without entering any other food, I enter my "Test Vitamin" into the log. Now, when I go straight to my RDA graph, I should expect that with the "Test Vitamin" being the only nutritional information entered, that the graph SHOULD read a straight 100% RDA across the board for all the vitamins. This, as can be seen, is nowhere near the case.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9863/resultgraph.jpg

The numbers are all over the board. Anyone interested in tracking their vitamins (that would be my grilfriend and I for two), is apparently is not getting the correct information.

Can the Fitday mods please explain these test results? Thank you in advance.

Raijer 02-24-2010 12:05 PM

BTW - this apparent vitamin bug shows up in both the online Fitday and the PC version - at least the old verison (I don't have 2.0, so I can't speak for that).

rg.tatum 02-24-2010 12:56 PM

I am a new fitday user and can't seem to find a way to add my multivitamin to my food log. Any suggestions on how I log a daily vitamin?

Raijer 02-24-2010 01:47 PM

Well, it depends on how your vitamins are labled. Usually they're given as RDA percentages, in which case you can simply create a new custom food, name it "multivitamin," and then enter the corresponding vitamin percentages on the label into Fitday.

That said, it may not do you a bit of good. As can be seen by my original post, what you enter for your vitamins does not relate at all to what Fitday is reporting.

Raijer 02-25-2010 05:05 AM

Well, I did a bit of searching through the forum to see if I could find my answer, and dug up this thread, which, more or less, asked the same question as I did:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...-minerals.html

Here's Fitday's response:

Originally Posted by fitday_jim (Post 329)
Hi funrun73. That is a great question and it confuses lots of people.

Essentially there is confusion around the "Daily Values" found on food labels and the RDA graphs in FitDay. The US government uses Daily Values for the values on a food label. These values are picked by the government to be useful without knowing the person's age and gender. FitDay takes those numbers and turns them into an amount ( for example 100% of Vitamin C becomes 60mg).

FitDay displays RDA charts in our reports.Your RDA for a nutrient is a different government standard that takes into account things like your age and gender. These are things that the label couldn't take into account. So while the DV was 100%, your personal RDA may be 110% because you need less due to your age and gender.

This can be confusing, but I hope this helps

So if I understand this correctly, Fitday is saying that it takes the Govt. RDA percentage of a vitamin and converts it into its basic amount (i.e. 100% RDA of Vitamin C = 60mg). It then takes that basic amount and compares it to what you SHOULD be taking relative to your age and gender.

So, using the charts above, if I take 100% RDA of Vitamin C (60mg), Fitday reports back and says that this amount is actually only 67% of my PERSONAL requirement for Vit. C as a 47 y.o. male.

Ok, if I understand this correctly, I'll admit that I like the math. However, it does raise another criticism: Why isn't this explained somewhere?

I don't see anywhere on this site, or on the PC version where there's an explaination of where any of Fitday's numbers come from or how they can be best understood - heck, I don't even see a "Help" section anymore with the new design. All the above information is important, but it's taken me over two years to finally coax it out. This information should be readily available (especially if you're asking people to part with $30 for the PC version), and if it isn't, when the question is asked through "contact Fitday," a response should be forthcoming.

Fitday is a great product, and I still plan on using it, however, there is much room for improvement. :) My $.02.

fitday_jim 02-25-2010 06:22 AM

Hi Raijer. Your point is well taken. We are trying to figure out the best want to handle these types of questions. Probably a wiki with a FAQ would be a good start. We used to have a help section, but almost nobody used it and we still saw the same number of questions in support.

theimaginativeika 02-26-2010 03:58 AM

none of my vitamins are measured in %RDA - they are all measured in mg and mcg. This makes it impossible to incorporate my vitamins into my log. Could you make an alternate 'food' form that allows you to make a custom food based on mg and mcg and then does the RDA% calculations based on your age and gender?

PlatosGimp 03-02-2010 11:12 AM

How To Add Multivitamins

How, or where can I create a food, or something else, which I can tally my daily vitamin and mineral supplements? I tried to do this in the food section but not all minerals are listed and I can add them in IU's

P90T 03-15-2010 02:38 PM

Today is my FIRST day with Fitday and so far the vitamin thing is the first "glitch" I have found in my navigation of the website. I will watch for a fix for this as I know that with my multi vitamin I'm getting a good dose of what I need, but would like to see on a daily basis what I'm lacking through my diet ( I figure I could track this by not adding my multivitamin into my log in until my last food entry for the day).

So far really enjoying the site! Thanks...

Willow_NyteEyes 03-17-2010 02:59 AM

I would also like to see this feature as MiltiVitamins & supliments do provide me with stuff I'm missing in my diet & I'd love to know if I'm ACTUALLY missing anything vital.

Lizzycritter 03-17-2010 05:57 AM

I custom made a multivitamin, but had to add the % values based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I'd prefer to add it as IU because I don't eat 2,000 calories but that doesn't seem to be an option.

coultersca 03-26-2010 05:51 AM

Adding Daily Vitamins

How do I add my daily vitamins to my food count? I believe they add to the food analysis for the day.

TiaShizzle 03-26-2010 03:46 PM

I want to know this too!!!! I was just wondering how I do that. I hope someone knows. Lol.

softballup11 03-27-2010 06:25 AM

I created a custom food for each of the vitamins I take. Add the % daily value down at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps. The only problem I see is that pantothenic acid isn't a value you can add but yet it shows when you look at the overall RDI/Nutrition tab. This is frustrating and I don't know if there's a fix for this problem.

cmathers 03-28-2010 12:23 PM

Omega 3s and 6s

Is there any way I can track the percentage of Omega 3s and Omega6s consumed?

FricFrac 04-08-2010 09:27 AM

I'd also like to see this...

wakeboardChick 04-14-2010 08:27 AM

I too have vitamins that don't give me values in %RDA but in mg and mcg. I've been trying to figure out how to put 500mg Vitamin C into my food log (I do want to track vitamin/multi-vitamin intake). Using 100% = 60mg then to that effect, I need to input 833% in order for my full 500mg to be counted, I think, for the RDA value in my custom vitamin c "food" entry.

But then that leaves the question, what do I do with my multi vitamin as I don't know the other RDA to mg or mcg conversions...

montanacricket 04-21-2010 08:21 AM

Recording vitamins in Fitday?

I've done a search on supplements and vitamins and couldn't find anything. Is there a way to record a vitamin supplement that I take every day? I noticed that on both calcium and vitamin D my overall nutrition is showing as lacking, but I take a mega supplement daily. Can I just record that as a custom food?

RunbikeSki 04-21-2010 10:46 AM

You sure can record your vitamins. Use the Create Foods (on the left side of the webpage) feature to set up food for your vitamins. Once set up, you can click on the your vitamins by looking at "Recent Foods".

philbatton 05-04-2010 02:15 AM

Supplements

Is there a way to enter Supplements (Vitamins, etc.) into the FITDAY Web site?

The Web Site gives a breakdown on vitamins and minerals consumed via food eaten........ shouldn't we add our supplements to that information?

Phil Batton

mandab1 05-04-2010 02:20 AM

I just put them in as a custom food.

NessaSonic 05-04-2010 09:11 PM

I also put them in as a custom food, but I only put in ten percent of what is in the vitamin, since that's about all we absorb from it.

grcarol59 05-07-2010 11:55 AM

All I can say is that I'd like to include my supplements, also. I used FitDay about 2 years ago, and it seemed easier to use back then. Then when I created a custom food, I could specify the the serving size as whatever measurement I needed, not just as "1 serving". Also I think they included more of the vitamins and minerals. Sometimes software upgrades aren't improvements.

grcarol59 05-07-2010 12:33 PM

I've been poking around the forums this evening and you are not alone. Many want to track vitamins, and others have found errors in the calculations.

Nephtys80 05-17-2010 08:47 AM

I've created my multivitamin in custom foods, but for some reason you cannot indicate the levels of all vitamins and minerals in the custom food editor. My multivitamin contains pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), but I can't add it to my custom multivitamin, so it's now showing up as a deficiency in my diet :-/

There are quite a few other things in the multivitamin I can't include either, such as vitamin K, iodine and chromium.

Violet2Day 05-24-2010 04:00 AM

Omega III Oils--no way to create a custom food for these supplements

I take fish oils daily for health, and have tried to create a custom food for the fish oils. There is no space to enter on a custom food "Omega-3", or the amount of EPA to DHA to Other Omega-3's.

Also, this fish oil has Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol), and while I was able to add "100%" of rda, when I look at the detailed rda list, I see that this value is actually in the wrong place, yet there's no way for me to enter it correctly.

FITDAY!!! come on! Omega-3's are a critical part of health, and weight loss. Help us log this!

cbwalls1 05-24-2010 04:41 AM

I would also like to see a multivitamin feature

thanks

laurenmw2002 05-25-2010 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by NessaSonic (Post 10091)
I also put them in as a custom food, but I only put in ten percent of what is in the vitamin, since that's about all we absorb from it.

What do you mean? Is that a fact?

kimadouglas 05-25-2010 04:18 AM

Custom creation for Multi vitamin

I too hope they are watching the forums so that stuff like this can be added into the tool. Seems like a multivitamin tracker should have its own play in fitday by now.

For now, I've added mine as a custom food. Not ideal, but it partially works.

RunbikeSki 05-25-2010 09:34 AM

10% ?

hmmm, that really depends on the vitamin and what else is in your tummy.

More and more research is showing that it is possible to take too much of some vitamins and that there is little or no benefit (other than to the manufacturer's bottom line) for taking mega-doses.

So If the bottle says 100% per tablet and you eat a relatively balanced diet, you are probably getting an ample dose of that vitamin.

laurenmw2002 05-26-2010 07:00 AM

What about liquid vitamins? I get my viatmins from the Superfood Greens drink. Its like a grass substance I mix in water.

bschodin 06-02-2010 12:22 AM

If you click on the "Total Nutrition" tab when entering a custom food, you can add vitamins in grams or milligrams. It will then be converted to %DV and %RDA.

Karlsonchik 06-02-2010 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by NessaSonic (Post 10091)

The custom food is not custom enough for me - how can I add acai berry extract or CLA (tonalin) when I don't have the option to input those categories? Same for Omega 3 Fish oil. Althouh not strictly vitamins, these are useful supplements and would be great to be able to add these.

Karlsonchik 06-02-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Violet2Day (Post 11654)
I take fish oils daily for health, and have tried to create a custom food for the fish oils. There is no space to enter on a custom food "Omega-3", or the amount of EPA to DHA to Other Omega-3's.

Also, this fish oil has Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol), and while I was able to add "100%" of rda, when I look at the detailed rda list, I see that this value is actually in the wrong place, yet there's no way for me to enter it correctly.

FITDAY!!! come on! Omega-3's are a critical part of health, and weight loss. Help us log this!

I second that! I also want to suggest providing an option for Tonalin (CLA), acai berry extract and green tea extract.

alice6065 06-04-2010 02:51 PM

I came to this forum specifically looking for an answer to this question. Being able to see the nutritional info reports is such a great feature of Fitday, I'm amazed they don't have a way to list vitamins and other supplements. When you create a custom food, there aren't enough categories to put in values of many vitamins, and there is no IU choice as a unit of measure. Maybe if enough of us comment on this Fitday will take care of this problem.

rosewulf 06-04-2010 03:27 PM

Multivitamins a must!!

Been going crazy trying to figure this out. Hopefully we'll get a response or an upgrade soon. My nutrition levels look awful because I can't add in my multivitamins and supplements.

Kaelinda 06-04-2010 03:51 PM

As of today, I can't even add a new food by clicking on the add a food button. Is this something wrong with the software or is it something caused by my computer? I'm not ready to buy the PC version yet - not until more of the bugs are worked out. But then! :)

dedicatedtohealth 06-16-2010 05:43 AM

Pantothenic Acid (Vit B5)

Hi all!

Lovin' FitDay but as many of you pointed out in other threads, it is lacking in some respects. There is an anomaly that I discovered in that Pantothenic Acid is listed in the report "Nutrition as Percent RDA or AI" but it is not listed in any Nutrition Facts labels in the online version (not sure of the home PC version) nor am I able to input this info when I create a food. I would like to track this essential vitamin but don't know how to add it for foods that I create. My weekly report shows that I've consumed 66% of my DV of B5 but I don't know from which foods they came. Any ideas? Thanks bunches!