Notices

Food Searching

Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Food Searching

I'm a bit confused as to how to search for a food.

I would like to search for "Grape Tomato"

Every food with grape comes up, every food with tomato comes up but no grape tomato.

although it could be there but because of the way the results come back and in the huge quantity it comes back in I most likely cant find it.

any suggestions for better search results?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

There is probably no difference, or the difference is insignificant, between a "grape tomato" and a regular tomato found under "Tomatoes, raw".

Edit to add: And let's not forget about soil and growing conditions for tomatoes. They affect the amount of nutrients that the plant takes up and retains, so the nutritional values for tomatoes are really just estimates anyway. This is not an exact science.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-14-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Search

I haved used Fit Day for years and love the site. The one thing I hate is its Food Search. I waste so much time searching for food items that I almost decided to start logging my stuff into a different site. I just spent forever looking for turkey meat loaf. Worst search engine on the web.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bbsweeps
I haved used Fit Day for years and love the site. The one thing I hate is its Food Search. I waste so much time searching for food items that I almost decided to start logging my stuff into a different site. I just spent forever looking for turkey meat loaf. Worst search engine on the web.

Maybe you're just not searching effectively. Here's a suggestion that comes up when I click on the "food search" tag below:

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
Sometimes using Browse instead of search produces better results. Some of the problem may also be dialect related (like British english vs. American english). I assume what you call beetroot is referred to as just Beet in the USA. I found Beet by searching and by browsing for vegetables. (I also found Beet greens, the tops of beets). I almost always use browse when looking for a meat or poultry item. The search for these never seems to get me what I am looking for.
So, hint hint.