Notices

Food Advertisement Inappropriate (Admin monitored)

Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

While I understand why some people don't want to see the ads, I also realize that the paid advertisers are necessary since FitDay is a free site. I would rather keep the ads so those members that may not be able to pay for using FitDay can continue using it for free.

Food ads are everywhere. They may sometimes trigger a craving for what I just saw, but choosing to eat that food is an individual choice. I'm not going to let an ad decide for me.

ETA: Wilderbeanerz! Wow on the 50.6 pound loss! YAY for you!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-04-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default Ads with sound are a distraction and off-putting

Hi there -

Just wanted to give my feedback - on the forums there have been some ads showing up that automatically play an advertisement with sound. At first you can't see them - you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to them. I just recently had one for Mucinex while I was on the 7-day motivational thread in the women's section.

Personally, I find auto-play ads, especially those with sound, to be extremely annoying. They make me want to click away from the page I am on; I do believe that's probably the antithesis of what you want on this site!

If at all possible, I'd vote for removing them from the side. They add nothing and detract much from the experience of an otherwise wonderful tool.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Any time you have an objection to an ad, you can send me a PM about it -- please include a screen shot, and if possible the ad network it's coming from (i.e. google, etc) so we can track it and remove it from rotation.

Paul
Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default poor advertising choice

It was mentioned to me that this was discussed before I could not find a thread other then scam ads and that is not my concern, but this is...

I am suffering from fitday advertising frustration the last couple days. This last week I have been tempted by tim hortons lattes for my u.s. friends tim hortons is a donut store /coffee shop and a small flavored latte is 190 calories and then you are tempted by donuts and coldstone creamery icecream not really a healthy place to be encouraged to visit. I get we need advertising and I have no objections to diet and exercise ads or even healthy food ads but Timmy's lattes no thanks. Having said this they do try to have some healthy choices like fruit smoothies calories from 130-430 and some good soup choices but I am not sure if I want to see any restaurant ads when I am trying to make good food choices.

I love fitday and this is truly a great site so I wanted to share my concern.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Hi Dar N,

Any time you see an objectionable ad, if you can post a screenshot or send it to me at [email protected] I can have it blocked.

Thanks,

Paul
Community Manager
Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Paul/iBobi,

This morning I was checking the forums and came across a really annoying rollover ad. I have nothing against Office Depot but I hate these ads where you scroll your mouse over them and then they pop up. Here's the ad before you roll-over it (also, I hope you appreciate my mad paint skillz):

And then once you roll over it, it pops up. I had the issue where I kept closing it but apparently re-rolling over it, causing it to pop up about 6 times as I was trying to read the thread (I've cut off the picture because the bottom of the ad gives location info, and I don't want to broadcast my address, lol)

I don't mind the ads and I appreciate all the work that goes in to keeping this site free -- but the rollover/popup ads are bogus! I'd appreciate it if this one could be removed

Last edited by taubele; 03-01-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Thanks taubele -- we've been working for a few days to have that OD ad blocked and have been promised that as of today it will no longer be served. If anyone sees it again, please PM me!

Thank you,

Paul
Community manager
Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Get no script

Hello,

I just wanted to pop in and advise you use Firefox with No Script (an add on) enabled. It stops all scripts from running on webpages unless you give permission. That means no pop ups, no animated ads, no scroll-over pop ups, no video player etc,. You can whitelist pages, and even individual scripts per page, its a life saver, plus needed security.

Please remember, that Google doesn't give you random adds either. They collect information on your browsing and tailor ads to your browsing history. In fact, they just changed the privacy policy to accelerate targeting ads to users. If you visit food sites, etc, you'll see more ads for food.

In any case, No Scripts saves lives...ok, well, it makes browsing much much better.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

I am not offended or bothered by them... just thought it rather counterproductive... Every page I went to had a huge "Free super-sized Sub" Ad from Quizno's across the top, and another Ad for "Texas-sized Cupcakes" on the right.... NOT helpful.. But as was stated earlier by several people- these temptations are EVERYWHERE... might as well try to learn to deal with them here, instead of at the Mall!!
If the pop-ups really bug you-- do what I do... use the site with the sound off!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by I.am.Lady.Zandra
I am not offended or bothered by them... just thought it rather counterproductive... Every page I went to had a huge "Free super-sized Sub" Ad from Quizno's across the top, and another Ad for "Texas-sized Cupcakes" on the right.... NOT helpful.. But as was stated earlier by several people- these temptations are EVERYWHERE... might as well try to learn to deal with them here, instead of at the Mall!!
If the pop-ups really bug you-- do what I do... use the site with the sound off!!
They bother me

As a rule, we don't allow those kinds of food ads (junk food) on FitDay. Unfortunately we can't review every ad that comes through an ad network before it displays here.

If you can catch them with a screenshot, I can have them taken out of the rotation

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.