Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Beginning My Journey. May I have some opinions on my plan? >

Beginning My Journey. May I have some opinions on my plan?

Notices

Beginning My Journey. May I have some opinions on my plan?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 PM
FitDay Member

Location: Born in Deutschland Now I reside in the East Coast of the USA
Default Beginning My Journey. May I have some opinions on my plan?

Summary: I am coming on the 4th week of my 105lb weight loss journey. I weigh myself every 3 wks at my nutritionist's so I don't get discouraged if I lose less weight one week, than another. My 1st weigh in of my journey showed my heaviest weight I've ever been at. 260lbs. My 2nd weigh in, 3 weeks after my 1st with simply dieting a 900-1200 calorie diet, I lost 13lbs. 247lbs. I know I won't lose that much every time I weigh in with just dieting alone. I knew I had to add in working out.

My Plan: Because I want to meet my 140-145lb goal in 365 days, I have just drawn up an exercise plan along with dieting plan.

I ordered myself a dual exercise bike (Works arms and legs) and two 5lb weights. When they arrive, I plan to work out for 1 hour 6 days a week on the dual bike. Every other day I will lift weights while I am pumping my legs instead of doing both arms and legs to get rid of, and tone the left overs "bat wings, skin fat, and elbow fat"

I have heard that a dual bike with the weight lifting is a great way to lose weight fast, as well as toning your body because of the pressure on your butt and thighs giving yourself a healthy build. I don't really plan on working out in public until I have lost about 50lbs, so I thought an exercise machine along with weight lifting would be ideal. Also, It would give me the ability to be a bit more hungry to bump up my calories, making sure my body does not shut down from not eating as much.

Opinions on my work out plan?

Advice on making sure I stick with it and not give up on it no matter how tired I feel?

Should I add stretching to this routine, what stretches, and why?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
FitDay Member

I think it amazing that you are so positive. 2 pounds a week is doable. IMHO I hope you can consider the odd week that you may lose nothing.
The mental aspect of losing weight is the biggest. You obviously are motivated and I love the fact that the first person you are doing this for is yourself. You are right, your family needs the best person you can be.
I'm not sure if you have a variety of weights for your weightlifting but you can also use your own body weight for a great workout.
You sound younger as you don't list any health problems. Us older folk always manage to slip it in somewhere.
I wish you everything you wish for yourself. Post often, this is an awesome group. Plus I've never seen the dual bike before.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
FitDay Member

Location: Born in Deutschland Now I reside in the East Coast of the USA

Thank you! Yes I am definitely young, and a dual bike is just an exercise bike that works your arms and your legs.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

I'm starting from scratch (again) too, and this time I have a fiancee & a 13 yr old son who need to be on the journey with me. Sounds like a good plan, only thing I would maybe suggest is that you mix it up a bit so you don't get bored with riding your bike all the time. Maybe throw in a day or two a week to walk. I always get bored w/ doing the same exercises over & over. I heard hula hooping was good exercise. If I don't kill my self doing it (i'm clumsy) i'm going to try it.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by mydaywillcome
I ordered myself a dual exercise bike (Works arms and legs) and two 5lb weights. When they arrive, I plan to work out for 1 hour 6 days a week on the dual bike. Every other day I will lift weights while I am pumping my legs instead of doing both arms and legs to get rid of, and tone the left overs "bat wings, skin fat, and elbow fat"

I have heard that a dual bike with the weight lifting is a great way to lose weight fast, as well as toning your body because of the pressure on your butt and thighs giving yourself a healthy build. I don't really plan on working out in public until I have lost about 50lbs, so I thought an exercise machine along with weight lifting would be ideal. Also, It would give me the ability to be a bit more hungry to bump up my calories, making sure my body does not shut down from not eating as much.

Opinions on my work out plan?

Advice on making sure I stick with it and not give up on it no matter how tired I feel?

Should I add stretching to this routine, what stretches, and why?

Thanks!
Hi mydaywillcome,
Great enthusiasm!
Since you asked... here is my $0.02 worth. The dual bike is a great idea - I think you picked a wonderful machine. And the 5# weight will really get the job done. I suggest, that rather that working out every day that you go for a bike ride every other day. Your body needs the rest to recuperate those tire muscles. It is during the rest periods that the muscles actually build. If you keep pushing and pushing, you'll end up exhausting them and then you have to take a lot of time off. So go with a M,W,F on the bike. Then on T,Th,S focus on the weights (you might check into a video or two if you haven't already). Different muscle groups, so you are resting 1 while the other group is working. Got it?

One of the things that will keep you motivated is to set goals for each of your rides. It will probably take a couple/3 rides to figure out where your endurance is right now. So try riding as long as you comfortably can one day, give yourself a day to recover, then try riding as long as you possibly can. Recover a day and then go back to the comfortable ride (it may be a little low, or maybe a little longer). Now you have a baseline to work from. From there see if you can increase your endurance by 10% each week.

Come on back if you have other questions. I am sure there are lots of folks here with great suggestions and advise