Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
If I work out..shouldn't I be sore? (Long...sorry) >

If I work out..shouldn't I be sore? (Long...sorry)

Notices

If I work out..shouldn't I be sore? (Long...sorry)

Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Question If I work out..shouldn't I be sore? (Long...sorry)

So I've been thinking...when I do different things around the house like planting full flower beds in one day, or dragging out like 15 wheelbarrows of watercress while in calf deep water or raking all the grass clippings from overly thick grass in my .75 acre yard I feel it the next day or two. Usually in my shoulders or lower back. Sometimes in my legs too.

But I work out 3-5 days of the week for about 40-45 minutes and am not sore the next day. Or really even worn out that day from it. So am I not driving myself hard enough?

Forgive me for what is about to follow may not make sense but this is what I do....teminology may be wrong so I will try to describe each thing.

On the home gym with weight set at 40lbs 3 sets of 15 of each exercise below (Most days the last set of 15 I up the weight to 50lbs)
Leg Lifts (feet together under a bar and from 90* bent to extended)
Lateral press (hands about shoulder height with elbows bent, press straight forward until straight arms)
This I have no term for but a bar above my head and I pull it down to my chin with hands facing me, then facing away from me.

Then I head upstairs, usually stop and have a glass of water and put laundry in the washer or dryer along the way.

Get out the 10lb dumb-bells. Lay down and do 50 crunches. Then hold legs off the floor to tighten abs while I use the weights to lift 60 times.
Still laying on back. Bend legs and hold in air, while straighten leg lift weight till straight armed then bend legs and bend arms till weight almost touches floor near my head (15 times).
Stand up. On one leg, other leg extended behind me use dumb-bells to row at shoulder height (15 times) switch legs, do again.
Feet shoulder width apart, dumbell in each hand, do curls from between knees up to shoulders then stand up and do curls again (2 each position x 15 reps)
Feet shoulder width apart, dumbell at shoulder height raise to toes and lift dumbell to straight arm above head x 15 times
Feet shoulder width apart, dumbell in each hand, bend at waist till weights at ankle height, stand back up then press weight above head until straight armed x 15 times
Feet should width apart, dubmell in each hand, bend at waist and have weight at ankle height, stay bent over raise weights to chest then out until arms are straight out to sides at shoulder height, lower weights to ankles x15 times.
Put weights to the side.
Do 20-25 girly pushups
While on all fours bring leg up to side and extend leg until straight x15 per side
Stand on left leg with left arm extended above head and right arm extended to the side and slightly lean forward ... extend right leg behind body until straight then bring back to touch left leg x15 times then switch sides and do again.
Squat and place both hands on left knee..Feet together then extend right leg out to side straight. Back to feet together x15 times then hands on right knee and work left leg.
Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Hands on hips. Raise to toes and hold for 5 seconds. Squat then raise again x15 times.
Lay down. 50 more crunches. Do the leg hold thing while pressing dumbells again as above.
Still laying down hold weights out and above floor just so arms are doing something. Raise legs straight up at waist level, spread them out to sides as far as possible, bring feet together then keeping feet together back straight up. Then reverse it (straight up, feet together like a frog, legs open, use inner thighs to bring back to straight up)

I am completely in a sweat by the time that I am done with this and I am having results, I just wondered...shouldn't I be sore the next day or even later that day? I do this entire routine 3-5 days in a row depending on hubby's work week. It is either weds - fri or weds to sun. Sometimes if I don't do it in the morning when he leaves for work I will do it in the evening and it is much harder to do at night than in the morning.

I just found another page of ab workouts in a magazine that I might ad to this routine. I am starting to feel obsessed but nobody ever said this would be easy.

Sorry this was so long. Never planned it that way.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM
FitDay Member

I'm no fitness expert by any stretch, but I have several friends who are. They usually say that 5 reps/set is the magic number. If you can easily do more than that, you are probably ready to increase the weight. You should feel somewhat fatigued after a workout.

Don't get me wrong, you are certainly not hurting yourself and if you are losing weight then it's helping your burn the calories. But the reason you are not sore is because what you are doing is easy for your muscles, so there is no reason to tear down and rebuild.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
FitDay Member

Sounds like it might be time to change it up a bit then. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

I got tired just reading everything you do lol!

Resistance Training

I would do way less but heavier weights. I lift pretty heavy now so I'm happy to get 2 reps of 8-10 with my squats and Dead lifts (1X200lb is my PR 180 was last attempt). I go lighter for bench and military press so I usually hit 2 sets 10 reps. Skull crushers are my fav. I do push ups, deep lunges with a 25 pound plate and pull ups (granted I JUST accomplished ONE unassisted but still!) The rest are around 20% assist. I also do the lat pull down as heavy as I can. I use to do a lot of ab work but the pull ups kill my abs so I don't do them as often.

I usually do all of that for every workout and and switch up a few other lifts.

My lifting time is normally 30 minutes when I lift at home.

For Cardio Training I run 3-4 days a week but only 30-45 minutes because of the weather.

I also bike, blade, swim, box and love running up and down stairs. 25 flights up then 25 down is the most I have done without stopping. If I decide to go for another 25 right away, my reward is sliding back down on the railings!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 AM
FitDay Member

In the course of my life I've had periods where I was totally out of shape and periods when I was in great shape, and of course every shade of physical fitness in between. When I'm in really good shape it doesn't matter what I do, generally speaking nothing makes me sore, tired yes but I flat out do not get that "sore for days on end" feeling. I've spent 4-5 hours every day for the last 3 bent over in the garden pulling weeds, and I'm not sore at all. 2 years ago that would have put me on pain killers for a solid week. If your workout is bringing on a sweat, then it's burning calories for certain. You could try to push your weights up a bit and see if that gives you some additional fatigue, but I don't know that your workout has to be painful to be beneficial. You might also throw a different workout into the mix, like yoga, which is great for building muscle but also excellent for flexibility, or change one of your running days to biking. If you can do an hour of yoga and not feel crippled the next day then I would say you're probably in great shape and do not need to worry that your workout isn't enough.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks VAgirl & Amy...

Even at my highest of over 350lbs I was never the type to be inactive. I gardened, rode four wheelers, played ball with the kids, hung wallpaper, painted walls & ceilings, etc etc. That was probably part of the reason it was so easy to be in denial that I was so big. I just never had a workout routine. And I hear people all the time saying how the gym kicked their butt and they are so sore but I never am. At the end of it I kinda lay on the floor out of breath and sweaty LOL but am not hurting. I like the tired feeling and am glad that I don't get sore. I just wanted to make sure that I am not wasting my time I guess.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

Well there is your answer, if you were active at 350 pounds then your muscles were working much much harder then they have to now. It makes perfect sense that you would feel great with any weight loss. I was like that too at 244, one poster a while back called it fit-fat, a perfect description if you asked me. You're probably also making sure you get enough protein right after your workout, so yes your working your muscles, but your feeding them as well, makes recovering much much faster.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Hey! So I am doing this right! Yay!!!

Now to push past this lump that has been sitting in my way for about a month now! I think I have it beat this week with a few peaks at the scale but not confirming until next Monday.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 AM
FitDay Member

My two cents.

For me, when I do my usual swim, bike, run, weights routine, I don't get sore, even when I change the intensity. However, when I do something new or something I haven't done for a while, I am sore the next day. I did yoga last night for the first time in a while and I am sore today. And, as I get older, it just gets worse. I know that if I go on vacation and don't do my weights, I am going to be sore the next day after I return.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks rmdaly!