Notices

Book recommendation

Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Book recommendation

Strength Training Anatomy, by Frederic Delavier, published by Human Kinetics - great resource for anyone who wants to understand their body and the muscles (and bones) that are activated during training.

I just picked up Women's Strength Training Anatomy, by the same author, but he's left out arms, chest and shoulders!

I'm pretty sure women have arms, chests and shoulders. The men's volume includes them... hmmm.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:19 AM
FitDay Member

Kimmy, just chiming in that Strength Training Anatomy is a must have for anyone who lifts. Great book. No need for the female version IMHO.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 AM
FitDay Member

hi ,

Are there book's you recommendaat fore pilates ?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM
FitDay Member

thanks, i am checking out Strength Training Anatomy thru my library, one book I have valued over all others for me was Bodybuilding: A Scientific Approach, by Fred Hatfield. I am not a body builder but I like to maximize my efforts and this book helped me do that
Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know any good Pilates books but Pilates is based on Yoga, there are some great Yoga books that focus just on the body and not necessarily the lifestyle of yoga. My favorite yoga book is called Yogaflows by Mohini Chatlani. The pictures are good and the book isn't full of a lot of fluff. Get to it, do the poses... get the benefits. Another nice thing about yoga that has been scientifically studied, is that you don't have to be "good" at it to get maximum benefits. (I don't have my source handy for that but I did a paper on it a few years ago.) So on day 1 you will get the benefits of doing yoga! That is cool. Good luck!