Notices

Question About Free Weights

Old 08-18-2010, 04:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Built
DANG! Inspirational is an understatement!
Hehe, agreed Beth.

How much does genetics and body type play a role in the development of muscle tone & definition? For me, I've always been short & round... is that endomorphic? I get them confused.

When I see someone like Vanda, it seems light years away from what I might be possible to achieve -- and I know it would take incredible commitment and training to ever reach that level, but I wonder is it even possible with my body type?

I'm still learning so much about body building, so I'm sorry for any dumb questions. =) Thanks again for any responses!

PS - Thanks for the link to ExRx.net. I read some really good articles there and can never have too many website resources to turn to. Feel free to share any others you find of value.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 AM
FitDay Member

I have to disagree with the full body workouts. When you are new to working out, you are not going to have good form because your support muscles are not conditioned and you don't have the muscle memory. If you focus on perfecting movements with only your upper body, then core, and finally lower body, you can concentrate more on each individual movement and get the form set in your muscle memory. Compound exercises are for people who have been exercising regularly for some time.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
How much does genetics and body type play a role in the development of muscle tone & definition? For me, I've always been short & round... is that endomorphic?
Genetics plays a much smaller role in body type than previously thought. The same is true for diseases as well. For years, scientists have correlated many things that appear to be genetic, but they are now realizing that most of it is lifestyle.

For example, an overweight parent will more likely have an overweight child not because of genetics, but because that child was raised on same lifestyle approach as that parent such as poor diet and lack of physical activity.

I personally do not like the body type categories because it is often self fulfilling science. I was always told I was an endomorph(overweight) and that I will always be an endomorph. So, I accepted that and didn't try to change. Well, now I have changed and people aren't sure into what category I fit.

There are people who grew up labeled as ectomorph(slender) who are now HUGE body builders, and there are people who grew up labeled mesomorphs(muscular) who are now morbidly obese.

You are simply a human being with your current body and you can change it in anyway you desire through lifestyle changes.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
You are simply a human being with your current body and you can change it in anyway you desire through lifestyle changes.
That is a very encouraging statement. =) Thanks Coey for your input.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hehe, agreed Beth.

How much does genetics and body type play a role in the development of muscle tone & definition? For me, I've always been short & round... is that endomorphic? I get them confused.

When I see someone like Vanda, it seems light years away from what I might be possible to achieve -- and I know it would take incredible commitment and training to ever reach that level, but I wonder is it even possible with my body type?

I'm still learning so much about body building, so I'm sorry for any dumb questions. =) Thanks again for any responses!

PS - Thanks for the link to ExRx.net. I read some really good articles there and can never have too many website resources to turn to. Feel free to share any others you find of value.
Smoosh: Remember, there are no dumb questions. Most of us usually have a combination of characteristics of the 3 body types, with one that predominates. I believe that regardless of body type, any relatively healthy individual can reach their goals if they're realistic (no way my legs are going to lengthen). Endomorphs' tend to be "round", store excess body fat easily and have large joints and usually have to work their butts off (literally) and be disciplined with their nutrition to see great results. That doesn't mean that a mesomorph can't get fat--take in more energy than you use and the excess will be stored regardless of somatype. As to genetics, some people are born with more muscle fibers than others, and there are also different types of fibers that are genetically determined (fast twitch & slow twitch-google for more info). Also, some people's bone structures lend themselves to show more definition than others. My husband, tall and slim (an ectomorph), will never look like Arnold no matter how intense he trains. So yes to a certain extent genetics play a role. But everyone can improve and become healthier.

I didn't check her background, but I'd be willing to bet that Vanda has a lot of training as a former gymnast and dancer.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
I have to disagree with the full body workouts. When you are new to working out, you are not going to have good form because your support muscles are not conditioned and you don't have the muscle memory. If you focus on perfecting movements with only your upper body, then core, and finally lower body, you can concentrate more on each individual movement and get the form set in your muscle memory. Compound exercises are for people who have been exercising regularly for some time.
I took like 10 minutes to post a response to this and got an error message! Anyways...

When you are new to resistance training none of your muscles are conditioned. You should always start with low weight and work on mastering your form, once you have good form you move on to a challenging resistance. All the weight training movements are learned, you don't build good squatting form by isolating with leg curls, the only way is to learn the proper form for squatting and then execute. Just because you are doing compound lifts, doesn't mean you need to use a ton of weight.

My original argument was that compound exercises cause more muscle growth, more hormonal response in your body, more calorie burn, and more calorie after burn. And that still remains true.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

Jason,

How will she know if she might be quad or glute dominant in the squat? Does she even know what this means? Does she pronate or supinate her ankles which cause a rotation of her knees when she squats? Does she has an ASIS tilt that might need to be addressed before she can safely perform squats? Does she lack a certain area of flexibility that forces her to compensate in another joint?

Having someone who does not know how to properly perform a squat do them repeatedly without knowing proper form, even without weights, can lead to a whole host of problems. It is difficult to correct improper form, and exponentially harder to correct improper form in compound exercises on someone who has done thousands of repetitions.

I am thinking you have never had a knowledgeable person critique your squat.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:44 PM
FitDay Member

Okay you lost me now Coey, LOL. I have no idea what any of that stuff you just said means -- and I am a complete novice when it comes to weight training. The most I've ever done is work with my little 2 lb. handheld weights, as I stated earlier.

My biggest concerns are my weak knees/ankles (as I even have trouble with lunges right now... but I'm working on it, slowly). I think those joints are stiff from underuse, but the walking/cardio that I've been doing seems to be helping with that.

@Beth - Vanda was a former gymnast. She represented Romania in the 1992 Olympics (I'm pretty sure it was that year) and now she trains/lives in Canada from what I read about her. I don't expect to end up looking like her, or being able to do what she can, but as a fitness model she represents the type of physique that I admire and would strive to work towards.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:33 PM
FitDay Member

Okay you lost me now Coey, LOL. I have no idea what any of that stuff you just said means -- and I am a complete novice when it comes to weight training. The most I've ever done is work with my little 2 lb. handheld weights, as I stated earlier.
Smoosh,

That is exactly my point Just keep yourself focused on strengthening individual muscle groups slowly with light weights and use some videos to mimic and make sure you are developing proper form. Some light yoga can really help get things kick started. Keep the postures simple so you can again focus on form. When the forms get more complex, it is best to be in a class or have a knowledgeable partner to observe your form.

When you want to take it to the next level, you should probably consider a visit with a personal trainer to focus on correct posture and alignment. After you straighten, you can begin to strengthen with increased intensity.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Coey, Jason & Beth! You all have given me some great information and advice. As I go about this transformation I'm sure I will involve a professional to help me with the progress. Right now I'm just very excited to be learning about the different techniques and what's available to me.

I appreciate all of your input!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.