FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Green Smoothie Fast/Cleanse (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/8516-green-smoothie-fast-cleanse.html)

californiaprettypat 10-31-2012 04:09 AM

Green Smoothie Fast/Cleanse

My Green Smoothie Fast/Cleanse:

began Monday, 10/29/12 - when the scaled reached 180! OMG I have never been this heavy before other than being pregnant! I am a junk-food junkie and snack all day long. I crave sugar (chocolate!) and carbs and have gained more than 40 lbs. in less than two years. I should also say that I am 48, so hormones probably have a lot to do with it! I have tried many many diets and cannot last more than a day or two without blowing it! I start so often that I always allow myself a huge "last day to eat" binge day which packs on more pounds and then blow the diet and end up heavier!

I decided to post daily updates on this thread to hold myself accountable (it really helps me keep on track!)

About 3 years ago I had a successful weightloss of 20 lbs. on the Master Cleanse fast which I stayed on for 18 days - I looked really good, my skin glowed, all my aches and pains went away, and I felt awesome! BUT as soon as I started eating meat and dairy again the weight came back on, plus an extra 10 lbs.

I am starting a green smoothie fast/cleanse to get the weight off and feel good again! I am reading Dr. Furhman's book, "Eat to Live" which is my motivation for this cleanse/fast and will be my way of eating once this is over. I have decided to try to fast with the green smoothies because I discovered that when I was fasting on the MC, it was easier to eat nothing at all than to eat only a little/diet.

Day 1 was Monday and I had my first green smoothie for breakfast, had a tuna sandwich for lunch and a small bowl of spaghetti for dinner. Tomorrow will be 2 smoothies to one meal and then it's all smoothies (I hope). Don't know how long I will go but will try to go at least 20 days. I do reserve the right to snack on fruit/berries/veggies in minimal amounts if needed.

Wish me luck!!!

californiaprettypat 10-31-2012 04:23 AM

Day 2, down half a pound

Happy to report I am down half a pound today which was quite a surprise!
Today's weigh-in: 179.5

FYI, I purchased a Ninja Pro blender at Target on sale for $90 and it is awesome but LOUD! Learning to make GSs is a talent I need to master quickly! My first GS was okay, not great and a little grainy. I put waaaay to many veggies in it and not enough fruit - it wasn't sweet and I had to choke it down.

Today's 1st GS was MUCH better! I had a handful of baby spinach, 1 celery stalk, handful of romaine lettus, 1 pear, 1 banana, 1/4 cup of blue berries and about 6 strawberries. Not bad but I need to add ice to make it cold. Even my 15 year old son tasted it and said it was not too bad. I easily drank the whole 32 ozs.

Had egg salad sandwich and small fruit cup for lunch.

Dinner GS: found myself CRAVING GS by 5:30! that was a surprise! I added some red cabbage and waaaay too much veggies again. My hubby said it was awful but I drank about 64 ozs. right down! Boy is my tummy full after that!

californiaprettypat 10-31-2012 04:30 AM

Day 3: down a full pound!

Wow! I am down a whole pound this morning! YAY! I know it's only water but YAY anyway!
today's weigh-in 178.3

No urge to snack at all last night after my HUGE GS, but found I could not keep my eyes open and by 8:30 went to bed for the night and passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow. Usually I'm a night-owl and stay up 'til 11:30 or 12-ish.

Woke up MANY times during the night to pee!

Drinking my 1st GS of the day as I write this. I added lots of crushed ice and frozen bananas to make it cold. It's really yummy! No cabbage 'cuz my GS was kind of yucky last night and the only extra thing I added was the cabbage. Maybe I'll try more in a few days. I'm going to experiment with pineapple in my mid-day smoothie today.

I should add that even tho' this is supposed to be a cleanse, I have not yet given up my coffee... using liquid non-dairy creamer tho'

01gt4.6 10-31-2012 05:23 AM

How long are you doing this for? I assume you aren't counting calories or logging food as it seems it would be near impossible with the smoothies. I wouldn't mind trying something like this for a short term, but "not too bad" doesn't sound too good. ;)

I guess you could log it since it's a blender and not a juicer...

californiaprettypat 11-01-2012 09:21 AM

Day 4, down half a pound!

Day 3 was kind of weird! Good thing I didn't work because my bowels were pretty loosie-goosie - maybe the cabbage in my evening GS?

I also felt kind of off all day. In the morning I was full of energy and cleaned like crazy! I was washing walls! Then around 11:30 I got really hungry and weak feeling. I was flushed and shaking and everything! I had a GS but didn't feel any better. Ate an apple and a banana and felt a little better by 3:30.

In the evening, since it was Halloween, I indulged in a couple of pieces of chocolate but it didn't even taste good and I was CRAVING a green smoothie!

Happy to say I am down another half pound - probably would have been more had I not eaten the chocolate but I'm happy with the half pound! :D

Today is Thursday, Nov 1st. We are going to the Colorado River for Thanksgiving and since I'm in California and the river is at the Arizona border, it will be hot! I will need to be wearing shorts and tank tops cuz we will be camping (motorhome) and boating. I need to look good - at least a lot better than I do right now! I never imagined myself weighing this much - ever! In my mind I'm still a Hot-Mama and then I get a glimpse of myself in a window or mirror and I am reminded of how NOT-HOT I am right now! I am downright pudgy! My face is fat!

I will be doing this fast/cleanse for at least 20 days. I may or may not decide to ease off so I can have some food while we are camping. Right now I'm thinking I wanna take my Ninja with me - wonder if the generator can handle the 1000 watts while I blend my GSs!

I feel good today. No excess energy, no shakeyness, no hunger, no weakness. Good thing too cuz I subbed in a kindergarten class today and I needed all my wits and focus!

Bought some chia seeds and goji berries for my smoothies. I also made one today with raspberries - which were soooo good! I ate about 10! Sadly I couldn't even taste them in my GS!

4 days and down 2 full pounds! at this rate I'll only loose 10 or so lbs. by the time we go to the river which is still waaaaay too heavy! I'd better get some exercise in too speed things up a bit!

californiaprettypat 11-02-2012 09:28 AM

Day 5, down a full pound!

YEE-HAA! I'm down a FULL POUND from yesterday! That's 3 lbs. in 5 days!

In the words of Adam Sandler: "NOT TOO SHABBY!"

Okay, so I'm feeling pretty good and not very hungry. I'm able to resist food, even homemade cookies! I did eat a banana and an apple yesterday in addition to my 3 GSs. Started to add Chia Seeds to afternoon smoothie cuz I read somewhere that they are a source of protein and can speed weight loss. If the Chia Seeds are responsible for the increase of half pound loss to a full pound loss per day, I'd say the little buggers are worth the price! (they are $13 per pound!). Read somewhere that I'm supposed to soak them first, which I am not doing - anyone with any info on Chia seeds please let me know if they need to be soaked or not...

Like I said, I'm feeling pretty good but fell asleep on the couch last night at 8:00 and slept there until 1:00 am when I stumbled up to bed and struggled to wake up at 6 am. I am usually a night owl who has to force myself to go to bed at midnight and get an average of 6 hrs. of sleep so I don't know why I am soooooo sleepy sooooo early with this GS fast/cleanse. Maybe I need carbs?

I've discovered that I have to peel the cucumbers before I put them into my smoothie or I will have a very bitter drink! Also, I put fresh cranberries in my GS today and again - bitter! - a full package of stevia was needed in addition to the banana and baby carrots already added for sweetness.

If you have any good recipes, please send them my way. thanks for reading my thread!

lovinmyvoice 11-03-2012 05:17 AM

Good for you Patty! I love Dr. Fuhrman! I followed his plan and lost 20 pounds and I did not do smoothies. I essentially ate only veggies and fruit though for 2 weeks. Then added in rice, beans, etc. after. I kept the weight off for awhile until I fell back into eating a higher meat and dairy diet. Plus, I love red wine. ;-) I wish I could maintain eating like he recommends. It's hard when no one else around you eats that way. But, I too, had no aches, no headaches, no back problems, no acne. No issues at ALL! I felt fantastic. I'm feeling encouraged by your posts and thinking of starting again. Keep up the good work!!

californiaprettypat 11-03-2012 11:20 AM

Day 6, no change

Today's weigh-in: 176.
No change from yesterday but that's probably because I got the munchies while watching a movie with the family and ate some raw almonds.

I'm surprisingly sleepy, but feel great otherwise.

One of my motivations for this fast/cleanse is the way my eyes look. All my life I've received compliments on my big, brown eyes and clear, taut skin - and the fact that I have always easily looked 10-12 years younger than my true age.

Lately my eyes look swollen and puffy and I have dark circles under my eyes which make me look old and tired (almost like I drink too much - which I DO NOT).

I began using Preparation-H under my eyes every morning to lesson the puffiness about a year ago - it helps somewhat but I still haven't looked like myself in a loooong time.

Well, I am happy to say that this morning when I went to put on the Prep-H, I noticed the bags, swelling and dark circles under and around my eyes are noticeably better!

Thank you, lovinmyvoice (great name!), for your comments. Knowing others are reading my posts and encouraging me and perhaps even becoming encouraged themselves is exactly WHY I am posting this daily log. I really need to know there are others out there cheering me on and maybe even considering joining me! So you lost 20 lbs. in 2 weeks?! WOW! I'm impressed. I'm on day six and am down 4 lbs. so I doesn't look like I will lose as quickly as you but I am gonna keep truckin' on! I've got a loooong way to go! My ideal goal is 120 but I'd probably be happy at 130 or even 135. At this point I just can't wait to get down to the 160's! I was at 164 for about a year, then fasted on the mastercleanse and went down to 140-ish. Gained it all back PLUS! This time I will keep GSs and Furhman's eating plan in my life for good!

I'm especially encouraged since I am already physically looking better. I don't like the sleepiness but I am sure it will pass. If not, I am considering adding some protein in the form of fish (salmon, talapia) and maybe a hard-boiled egg here and there to see if that makes a difference. I had hoped that I would feel more energized today after having ate the almonds last night since they are protein and carbs.

Looking forward to my afternoon GS so I am signing off for now to get to it! Thanks again to everyone who is reading this log, just seeing the number of people who have read my thread is so encouraging and motivating!!! :)

Ellaspop 11-03-2012 12:33 PM

Green Smoothie Fast, Me Too...

Hey Californiaprettypat... I started my Green smoothie Fast on the night before Halloween... I have done the Master C as well about three times to reboot the system and just couldn't get myself hyped up for the lemonade.. I chose the GSF because it has the ability to change the taste from day to day... I have have been doing nothing but GS and not deviating at all except for one shrimp the night I started... My goal is a RAW lifestyle when I'm done with the fast.. My weight fluctuates with the seasons and after this last bout with pneumonia has ballooned into something I'm not happy with. I will be starting day 5 tomorrow and feel great as long as I don't fall behind with the smoothies. I'm also adding walking and mountain biking as well. Just got on the scale and i'm down 10.5 lbs... How long are you going on yours? Stay strong and good luck.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...88662783_n.jpg

californiaprettypat 11-03-2012 05:18 PM

Hey Ellaspop! thanks for sharing! I can't believe you're down more than 10 lbs. already - we started almost the same day and I'm only down 4! I need to do what you're doing! Tell me everything! How many GSs are you having per day and what's in them?

I haven't added exercise in yet mainly cuz I'm just so sleepy all the time. I have also been snacking on fruit (an apple or pear here and there) and last night a few almonds. Tonight I was so sleepy by 6:30 that I was ready to go to bed for the night! I had half a sweet potato with nothing on it and am still up at 10:13 pm. so I guess I needed carbs.

How are you feeling? I expected to feel energized but instead I am soooo sleepy. Please either post your updates here with me or start your own thread so I can keep up with your progress. I am planning to go at least 20 days, probably a lot longer because I really want to get this excess weight off once and for all!

Ellaspop 11-04-2012 01:36 AM

green Smoothie Fast, Me Too...

Hey Californiaprettypat, First you're doing awesome! You have to do what works for you...it's different for everyone..there is no right or wrong we experiment then do what's best for us. For me it's about rebooting....weight loss is a by product..a good one, but a by product...it's about getting healthy. My deal is being satiated..so I don't count how many smoothies i drink ... i drink a lot and try not to get hungry. I also mistake being hungry for being dehydrated sometimes, so I have to make sure i drink water as well. Then I have built in exercise..I own a lab...so thats like 3 miles a day of walking to keep her from eating the couch. I also cut off the TV..too many commercials about eating...a shock to the kids for the first couple of days but now they could care less..My smoothies start with 1 to 2 cups cold water in the blender..then I stuff it full i mean full of spinach..then blend..then stuff it full of kale..blend...thats my base..then if its morning i add lots of fruits..apples, blueberries, mango, oranges...do be stingy shove them in... then from lunch on I stick to veggies..tomato, cucumber, celery, carrots, and sweeten with a banana or raw honey... now i just started adding chia seeds and flax seeds for a little more protein.. but thats it. I don't deviate from GS..no solids for me. Maybe your not drinking enough...One smoothies has probably 180 cals so if you're only drinking 4 thats only 720 to 820 cals a day...not good...drink more. Good Luck! and i'll keep up on here..

californiaprettypat 11-04-2012 03:03 PM

Day 7, down half a pound

Today's weigh in: 175.5, BUT I no longer trust my scale! It is digital and when I first got on it, it said I had gained 2 lbs., so I stepped off and then back on and it said I am down half a pound, off and back on again and I am down a full pound. So I guess I'm buying a new scale! I'm going to take the half pound loss but now I really don't know ...

Been sharing my GSs with my hubby and boys (12 & 15) - they are each having some here and there and while they don't "like" it they always want a taste and end up having 6-8 ozs. while exclaiming how "not bad" it is!

Thanks, EP, for your advise and for posting on this thread. Your posts really make it interesting! I don't put kale in my GSs. I start with spinach and romaine hearts-of-lettuce. Then, like you I add fruit (mangoes, berries, banana, apple), I also usually throw in a cucumber and some celery.

I am drinking only 2 or 3 smoothies per day, some are 32 ozs., some are 60 ozs. and some are 10 ozs. just depends on how they come out! Maybe I'm just not having enough, but I'm just not hungry enough to have more. Realistically, I'm probably having 500 - 600 cals. per day. Bet that's why I'm sleepy!

Speaking of which, it's 7:30 in the evening and I'm already starting to get sleepy - I am needing so much sleep - maybe I am releasing toxins or something, in addition to not having enough calories. I feel good otherwise. Find myself feeling more light-hearted and care-free - healthier - I'm laughing more often and more easily and just feel good. Not that I'm normally crabby, but I just feel ... good! Maybe it's all the sleep I'm getting!!!

I plan to start race-walking again tomorrow (I used to race-walk 5-6 miles a day when I was a young, hot mama!). I don't have to go in til 11:00 tomorrow so it will be a perfect day to start: Take the kids to school, hit the park-trails for a bit, then shower and head to work. I'm on my feet all day when I'm working (I'm a substitute school-teacher about 3 days a week) - literally don't sit down for a minute all day! But when I'm home I'm on my butt all day - usually in front of the computer. So tomorrow that's gonna change - 3 fast miles every other day working up to 5 or 6 miles. Can't wait!

Ellaspop 11-04-2012 11:04 PM

YEAH CPP!!! The walking will be awesome...but remember you will probably need to increase your intake of GS...you don't want your body to think it's starving and slow that metabolism down which is what it sounds like you want it to think it's full and burn like crazy...see if you can blend in more stuff to raise the cal count thats what I do...then when you exercise you will be shocked at the changes...but you have to mix it up... the body is very proficient and adapts very well if you walk the same pace and mileage every day it will get very comfortable at doing that pace and distance...so mix it up, maybe find a building and climb stairs one day.. walk one day.. swim one day etc... here's a little background on me..when I turned 40 my wife made me go get a physical..I'm friends with my doc...he basically didn't sugar coat anything and told me well you're morbidly obese and you'll probably die by 50...well dumb founded I called my best friend and he basically said "get off your ass and do something!" So I made the decision then and there to change, reboot. I was 287lbs and not healthy. Well i jumped on the Master C for 30 days..then walking, then running, then biking, then swimming when I decided I wanted to do an Ironman...before my 41 birthday...well long short I lost 120lbs and did the Ironman and the following years 4 more and various marathons and other races..Now at 46 having had an injury mountain biking followed by pneumonia Thanksgiving, Christmas...and trying to justify that i've been injured thats why I've gained weight. I've gained 50lbs of unwanted weight. So now is the time to REBOOT for me.. So I have been there do that and made excuses to myself but I really have to be hard on myself or I will stray from the path. While cooking dinner for the family I wanted a slice of pizza in a terrible way but I stayed strong...WIN for me! I feel good day 6....sorry for the manifesto..

californiaprettypat 11-05-2012 04:14 AM

Day 7! No change? STUPID scale!

YEEAAAHHH! I FEEL AWESOME! OMG I haven't felt this good in years! I woke up feeling excited knowing I was going to start my walking today and had an awesome 32 oz. smoothie to get me going (I made coffee but only had one cup and switched to my smoothie which is cool cuz it usually takes me a whole pot in the mornings!). Anyway my walk was wonderful. Out in nature, listening to my fav. dance jams interspersed with some positive affirmations I downloaded, the weather is perfect - my body EASILY fell into my old rhythem - it just remembered what to do even tho' it's been 5 years since I race-walked! My pace was admittidly slower but I felt so good out there! As usual, the first 1.5 mile almost killed me but THEN I got my old kick and easily cruized another 2 miles and could have gone more if the clock wasn't ticking!

Thanks EP for the reminder to switch it up! I have LOTS of variations in my trails and some have killer hills. I also have some kettle-bell work-out videos that I will break out once I get my stamina built up a bit. My muscles remember what to do but my lungs don't! I was wheezing and everything when I stopped but felt sooo good!

Okay, my STUPID scale says I'm up 2 lbs. which is physcially impossible given that I am only drinking GSs. I did splurge last night and had about a cup of mixed berries but other than that I had 3 GSs and a banana all day. Maybe the fruit sugar is messing with my metabolism? Too much insulin coursing through my veins from all that fruit - IDK. Or maybe my scale is just STUPID! I plan on stopping at Target this afternoon and buying a new one at any rate.

Thanks, EP, also for such a wonderfully interesting manifesto! It really helps me to know I'm not alone and you have to admit - there is something so liberating about posting the details of our progress and of your triumph over pizza! And so far there are over 260 views to this thread so I know there are others out there silently cheering us on as well and maybe even thinking about joining us! So EP, you were up 50 and now down by 10+ - not bad! I figured by your rapid weight-loss that you were either a man or a girl in her 20s! If my weight loss doesn't pick up soon I may switch to some MC lemonade for a couple of days (or weeks) - I know I'm losing because my rings are almost falling off of my fingers, my face is significantly slimmer, and my shoes aren't so tight anymore. Been in sweats all weekend so I won't know about my clothes til later but I know I'm losing regardless of what my STUPID scale reads! And I feel so energized and alive again! Wow! I guess I didn't realize what a slump I'd gotten into until now. I didn't realize I was feeling so awful until now that I feel good again (did that even make sense?)!

Anyway, gotta hit the shower and get ready for work. I'm subbing at a school I've never worked at before so it should be interesting - hopefully I can drum up some more work, competition for teaching jobs is FIERCE here in Southern California thanks to all of the teacher lay-offs.

Ellaspop 11-06-2012 07:27 AM

GO CPP! Powerwalking is the way to go!...How was it?...Day 7 here... ran 4 miles with the dog today felt great. down 14lbs am gonna go 2 more days then gonna add a salad no dressing for lunch and do this for a few days...and transition to a RAW/VEGAN diet...no oils, dairy, meat, wheat...and try to rock that for a while... so far I feel great and will be ramping up the exercise 10% every couple of days until I can put in 1.5 hours a day...that's me time that I need to set aside for me...It's easy to fall off so I have to stay on it...How are you?

californiaprettypat 11-06-2012 09:06 AM

Day 8

WOO HOOQ! 328 VIEWS! I would LOVE to hear from some of you following this thread. Input, encouragement, comments, questions, whatever - I'd love to hear from ya! not that you're not wonderfully interesting EP, I would just like to hear from more. Your salad sounds yummy - I saw some sugar free, oil free, gluten free, and everything else free salad dressing at Sprouts today that I will buy some day when I decide to eat again. Have you read Eat to Live, by Dr. Fuhrman? That book and his vids on youtube are my inspiration.

Well I have a new scale so today's official NEW weight is 175. That's down 5 lbs. in a week, which is OKAY by me! At this rate, if it keeps steady, I can look forward to a 20 lb. per month loss. I'm still eating one or two snacks per day of just plain fruit - primarily berries and/or a banana in addition to my 3 or 4 GS's a day. I have NO CRAVINGS! and I'm not hungry at all! AMAZING!!!

Not feeling as wonderful as yesterday. Back aches BAD today and I am peeing every 10 minutes. Just couldn't bring myself to hit the trails this morning but I will try to go tonight while my family is eating my AWESOME chili, which I probably won't be able to resist otherwise!

Also very sleepy and since I'm off today and my errands are done I'm seriously thinking about taking a nap! Went to bed at 8:30 last night but tossed and turned a lot for some reason - didn't feel like I actually fell into a deep sleep. My legs were achy ...

Had to return the Ninja Pro today because it began to smell like something was burning inside (plastic? rubber?) after only a week. I traded it for the NutriBlast at Target for the same price. The NutriBlast is only 600 watts where the Ninja Pro is 1000, but the NutriBlast got better reviews across the internet when I researched it last night so I thought I'd give it a "whirl." ;)

01gt4.6 11-06-2012 09:27 AM

Awesome job on the 5 pounds in a week!

Are you measuring everything so you know how to duplicate your favorite ones, or are you following a recipe?

Also, keep up updated on how the new blender compares.:)

Ellaspop 11-07-2012 02:10 AM

CPP, How's the new blender? Had a good run with the dog who guilted me into going faster and further than i wanted...dang dog. I mixed a great morning smoothie with kale, oranges, apples, a mango and some blueberries...exactly what I needed...energy if good...i didn't make it through the election craziness last night to tired when to bed early.. may have missed the mark on the afternoon and evening smoothies as I started getting tired around 6pm...maybe this stupid daylight savings crap as well...anyway forward...and no I'm not a 20 yr old...i'm 46

californiaprettypat 11-07-2012 12:55 PM

Day 9

Hey there!

Forgot to weigh-in this morning so I'll just say no change.

I love, Love, LOVE my new NutriBullet! It is quieter, WAAAAAY faster, and the smoothies are WAAAAAAAYYYYY SMOOOTHER! surprising that a smaller motor and fewer blades could do a superior job but the NutriBullet blows the Ninja Pro outta the water! I HIGHLY recommend it if anyone is in the market for a smoothie blender and you don't know which to buy. I found the NutriBullet at Target for around $90.

I am not following any recipes nor writing down my own, thanks for asking, Mike. The only down-side to the NutriBullet is that the container is smaller. I'm using the large and have to blend half way thru stuffing it so I can make room for more stuff!

My smoothies are usually spinach and kale as a base. Along with some water, ice, and then fruit (pear, banana, berries, mango, apple - whatever I grab). sometimes I toss in a celery stalk or two but they usually make the smoothie taste grassy. The NutriBullet came with a cool pocket nutritionist pamphlet that lists the foods and what they can do for our bodies so that makes making the smoothies a little more interesting.

FYI: Kale contains carotenoids and flavanoids for bladder, colon, prostate cancer, etc. Spinach is blood pressure reducing and bone building. Blueberries are anti-inflamatory and contain wide range of micronutrients, cantaloupes promote lung and vision health ... cool huh?

EP, can you believe I have TWO labs?! I feel for ya! They have sooooo much energy!
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Ellaspop 11-08-2012 01:53 AM

More of a run..walk today... gonna mix it up with some Mountain Biking at lunch... Also gonna add some solids at lunch..(salad)
My run Coach Lucy:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...31117910_n.jpg

californiaprettypat 11-08-2012 04:34 PM

Day 10, down another 1.5 lbs!

Such a FACE! Lucy is such a cutie! How old is she? She looks like she's almost 2. My boys are black labs and are beyond excited right now because they're going pheasant hunting tomorrow! They've been watching my husband load the motor home and putz with his shot guns and ammo and they just know they're going hunting!

Well, I'm happy to say I am down another 1.5 lbs. Official weigh-in: 173.5
I got frustrated today because I realize how far I've got to go. I've been putting this off for FAR too long! SIGH. I'll be on this fast/cleanse until Christmas at least!

But at least I'll be lookin' good for the Christmas parties!!!
That's a promise I am making to myself here and now!

This time I will not let my success scare me off!

I will not stop dieting as soon as someone notices I am losing weight. Why do I do that?!

THIS TIME, I will embrace my success!

I will gain strength from my success!

I will NOT give myself a break!

I will NOT cheat when no one else is looking!

I WILL succeed! Once and for all!

(WOW! Where did that come from?)

californiaprettypat 11-09-2012 12:35 PM

Day 11, no change

So no change in my weight to day, but I have to say I feel like I am looking better.

I had lunch with a friend today and as I was getting ready, I noticed that I just looked better. My hair is a little more glossy, my skin is healthier looking. The puffiness around my eyes is pretty much gone and my cheeks and mouth area look - well better. Not that I had jowls or saggy skin or anything but I just looked - haggered. Today when I was putting on my makeup I began to see some of that old self coming back. I know I've only lost like 7 lbs. so far but I can't help but notice I look better already. Also, I noticed my tops are fitting better - my waistline looks smoother. I know I have a loooooong way to go but at least I'm finally heading in the right direction.

So today I met a friend for lunch and in the back of my mind I was thinking I was going to blow it and eat something I shouldn't and then spiral downward into that whole, "well I already had this, so I might as well have some of that..."

Well happily that didn't happen. We went to a buffet and I had a smallish salad, skipped the croutons and fatty salad dressings and when we went to get some soup, nothing looked good. Even the breads and pasta dishes didn't look appetizing. I got a small bowl of clam chowder and some cornbread but took one bite of the soup and pushed it away. I didn't even touch the cornbread which is a huge surprise because I am usually a BIG carb-craver and pig out on stuff like corn bread.

So a small victory for me. I didn't cave-in. Wasn't even tempted to eat anything other than veggies. None of the desserts were tempting. Not even the cookies or brownies. Whew!

I will say tho' that now that I have some food in my tummy, even just veggies from the salad, I'm hungry and want more. I will stick with the GSs tho' and not start eating again because I know I'm not ready. Not anywhere NEAR ready. It's way too soon and I know that if I start eating now I will fall right back into my old eating habits.

I need about another two months of GSs to get the bulk of this weight off and get rid of my cravings. It's working and I feel good so I'm just going to keep on keepin' on.

Because, even tho' my body didn't want any of that stuff today, my mind did. All morning I was thinking about how I would probably blow it and have to start all over on Monday - see I was even setting myself up for an entire weekend of over-indulging just based on a simple lunch date with an old friend. That's just not normal.

Thankfully, my subconscious won the battle today, but the scale will probably not move down in the morning. That's alright. It will keep going down, if not tomorrow then the next day and again the next.

Wow, anyone reading this probably thinks I'm a loon! Hopefully, anyone reading this can relate to what I went through today and will maybe decide that there just might be something to these GS's afterall. I can't deny they are working for me. I did not blow it today. Yay me! :D

UKSue 11-09-2012 04:57 PM

Inspirational !

Hi there Californiaprettypat ~ just wanted to say a very quick congratulations and hope youre having another great day.
Keeping this first reply short and sweet as its very early hours here and i need to get a few hours sleep before my 3year old wakes in a few hours ! Ive not been able to sleep and came across this great site ! You are doing so well ! :) Id love to find out more about these smoothies of yours and start on this amazing cleansing/nutritional journey to. ( I know smoothies are no new thing but this sounds like a different level i need to try. ) Also - coincidently ! - ive a black lab to ! - must be something drawing us all together !

Will be back soon !

californiaprettypat 11-10-2012 07:35 AM

Day 12, down a pound!

Official weigh-in: 172.4

Wow! 541 views! I'm flattered that so many are following my journey. Thank you, UKSue, for your comments. It is so nice to hear from you!

This whole journey started with a scary number showing up on the scale, a bloated face looking at me from the mirror and an email I received about a nutritional program by Dr. Furhman. The email had a link to a video which was very interesting. I did not purchase the program the video was selling but I did google more D. Fuhrman videos - he has a ton of them! Then, coincidentally, I caught a few minutes of Dr. Furhman on PBS and decided to get his book, Eat to Live. I found it on Amazon for $1.00 and received it within 2 days. Meanwhile I also began to watch those Saturday morning infomercials about the green smoothies and the super-blenders. Montel Williams has one which is very inspirational. I also saw one for the NutriBullet and the Ninja. By this time I had been reading Dr. Fuhrman's book and decided I needed to do something and these Green Smoothies seemed like a good idea.

I had lost weight on the MasterCleanse fast a few years ago but it was VERY difficult to go without anything at all and the MC lemonade was not fulfilling. I was always hungry and miserable. BUT I lost like 20 lbs. in less than three weeks and then felt so healthy after that.

Back to the present, I decided to try a GS fast/cleanse. I googled and googled and googled. Read everything I could and then bought my Ninja and made my first Green Smoothie. That was the day of my first post here on this FitDay forum. Now 12 days later I am feeling good, looking better, and am down 7.5 lbs. Not as fast as the MasterCleanse, but much more do-able as the GS really fill me up and I am not hungry at all! I couldn't stay on the MasterCleanse for any length of time because I was just too hungry and weak, but I know I can do this for as long as I need to! The GSs are yummy and filling and satisfying. I snack on fruit such as berries, apples, or bananas as needed and feel fine. Not weak, not freezing cold all the time like I was on the MasterCleanse, not hungry, not obsessing about food.

Okay, sorry for the long boring post. I just really want this to motivate others to do it because it is so much easier than I thought it would be and I feel like my life is moving in a positive direction. So please, google some Dr. Fuhrman videos or watch some infomercials about the benefits of GreenSmoothies and then try one for yourself!

dietade200 11-11-2012 02:44 AM

counting calories

I assume you aren't counting calories

californiaprettypat 11-11-2012 06:20 AM

Day 13, up 1 lb.

It's day 13 and my official weigh in is 173.4, up a pound from yesterday.
I did give in last night and had a small plate of red potatoes with some spray butter but that shouldn't have added a full pound to my weight - no I did not eat a pound of potatoes!

Anyway, I won't be eating anymore! See, having that salad on Friday made me HUNGRY!

DietAde200, according to my FitDay food diary, the following GS has about 270 yummy and nutritious calories:

1 medium banana,
1/2 cup of blueberries,
1/2 cup of strawberries,
1/2 cup of kale,
1/2 cup of spinach,
1 medium apple
1/2 medium zucchini

I don't actually measure anything but I figure a handful is approximately 1/2 of a cup. The above GS is pretty-much spot-on to my average smoothie. I mix it up a bit and add some mango sometimes and maybe some celery but otherwise the above GS is pretty standard fare.

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and I had hoped to be at 170 which would be a solid 10 lb. loss, with an average 5 lbs. per week loss. Looks like I'm not gonna be at 170 tomorrow unless I lose 3.5 lbs. overnight which ain't gonna happen. I'm still happy with my weight loss. Guess I need to actually exercise! Despite how great I felt, I only went walking that one time last week. I worked almost every day and was too pooped in the evenings but this week I'm only working Wed, Thurs, and Fri. so far so I'm gonna go hit the trails right now and then again Mon and Tues morning. I need to try to walk in the evenings when I'm working but I am on my feet every second of the day when I work and just need to rest in the evenings. Literally, the only time I sit down when I'm working is when I take a potty break! :o

UKSue 11-11-2012 08:53 AM

Hi again CPP - Thank you for enlightening me - i am going to find out more about Dr Fuhrman and see if i can find his book.
Can i just ask - do you blend all those ingredients together as they are ? or do you use a juicer first for maybe the spinach, apple and kale ? im thinking it sounds like they all go in the smoothie maker and thats it - which sounds great and much less hastle. I just have a regular smoothie maker - nothing turbo or blasting ! Ive not got too much weight to lose but so want to feel healthier and less sluggish !
Hope you had good results on your scales today, you sound like you are feeling great in yourself which must give you so much motivation in itself. Have a great day !

LapbandLaLa 11-12-2012 05:18 AM

10 Day Smoothie Fast

I am going to go and get my Ninja system in the next few days and I want to do a smoothie fast for 10 days.

You are going excellent. I am on a serious budget and I need to make sure I get the best nutrition with the best weight loss outcome.

Any suggestions?

californiaprettypat 11-13-2012 03:29 AM

Day 15, down 4/10 of a pound

Well I did not post yesterday because there was no change in my weight and I was a little discouraged. I wanted something warm to "eat" and so I've been having some vegetable broth which I discovered last night has quite a bit of sodium in it which is probably why I gained a little water weight.

Today I am down that 4/10 of a pound but still up from the other day. Today's weigh in: 173 (I REALLY wanted to be at 169 by today!) It's my own fault for having the broth ... :(

I also decided that I am probably having too much fruit which may be why I am not losing a little faster. I am having around 3 bananas a day plus apples, pears, mangos, etc. Probably too much sugar, so beginning today I am going to cut down on the fruits and only put berries in my smoothies in addition to the veggies, to see if that makes a difference in my weight loss. I know I should be happy with a 7 lb. weight loss in 14 days, that's 1/5 pound a day for goodness sakes! BUT I just can't stand being so heavy! I hated myself at 163 a year ago and was desperate to lose weight then, now here I am 10 lbs. heavier! UGH!

Hi Lala and UKSue, so happy to meet you on this thread and very glad to hear you are joining me on this journey! You may have read that I started with a Ninja and switched to the NutriBullet and am MUCH happier with my smoothies! The NutriBullet, is faster, quieter, and makes the smoothies much SMOOTHER! They are the same price at my Target (less than $100), so if you have the option - get the NutriBullet, you won't be sorry! Please post your progress right here on this thread for me and everyone else to follow. By the HUGE number of people viewing this thread I know everyone else would love to follow your progress along with mine. :rolleyes:
Also, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE logging on and seeing that someone else has posted a message, it's exciting to know other people are out there and care enough to post and even better - to join me!

I still feel great and am going to hit the trails in about 10 minutes. By the way, despite what the FitDay timer says, it is 8:29 a.m., California time as I post this message, not 4:29 p.m..

Good luck and have a great day!

californiaprettypat 11-13-2012 05:43 AM

Day 15 update

Okay, a quick update. I've discovered that I CANNOT skip the fruit in my morning GS, at least not if I want to exercise afterward! I made my GS with only veggies and berries (to which I had to add a stevia to sweeten). I had absolutely NO ENERGY for my walk and barely got thru 2 miles. Not only was I sluggish and tired but I did not get my normal kick at the 1.5 mile point like I always do! I struggled to get back to my bench where my water is, which is my start/end point of my mile long loop. Needless to say I came right home and had a banana! So I will have fruit in my morning GS only...

Also, I re-measured my veggies as I made my GS and my handful of greens is more like 1.5 to 2 cups each (loosely packed) rather than 1/2 cup as I originally thought.

Okay, have fun!

lovinmyvoice 11-13-2012 06:24 AM

Hey! Thanks for writing! I wish I lost 20 LB's in 2 weeks! :-) It was over the course of a couple months or maybe three. I actually didn't keep track, per se (time wise). I just kept up excellent eating with lots of veggies (main focus at every meal) and before I knew it 20 lbs were gone. It sounds like you are doing awesome and you should be proud of yourself! Rock on!

lovinmyvoice 11-13-2012 06:27 AM

Hmm, I remember being pretty darn tired the first week or so. Are you feeling any more energized now that the first week is over?

californiaprettypat 11-14-2012 05:40 PM

Day 16, down a pound

:o Official weigh in: 172 - YAY ME! Go Pat-ti! Go Pat-ti! (chanted while doing the cabbage patch)

I am very happy that the weight is coming off consistently - VERY encouraging! Because sometimes this is really hard!

So, I discovered a few things:

1) freezing and then thawing out GSs for lunch isn't very good. Today I broke down and had 1/2 a tuna sandwich for lunch - the thawed-out smoothies just don't cut it - they're awful! :(

2) I can't skip the fruit in my GSs - smoothies don't taste good and are not fulfilling or sustaining without the fruit.

3) My breath stinks! I brush and use mouthwash and still can't get rid of the bad breath! My kids won't kiss me! :( Not sure why my breath is so bad and why I can't get any relief from it, I can't be in ketosis because I am eating too many carbs (in the form of fruits and veggies). According to FitDay my diet is 97% carbs. Nevertheless, I know ketosis causes bad breath...

4) I feel great today - lots of energy - because I exercised yesterday. I need to get in some form of exercise on a consistent basis because I feel great when I do! Luckily there is no school next week so I can get out there every day! Thanks for asking LMV, my energy levels are up and I am not sleepy any longer.

5) Thanksgiving is next week which means we're going to the river in seven days and I will NOT be down to 160. Heck I'd have to lose a full pound per day to make it down to 165 - but, I'm pretty sure I WILL be somewhere
in the 160s at least, which is WAY better than where I was 15 days ago! AND I will be down even more 15 days from today!

6) Bella and Edward have a child! (Twilight) I had no idea! I subbed in 4th grade today and that's what they were all talking about - guess I'd better get caught up on the Twilight series! Watched the first one again tonight - I forgot how good it was!

7) My skin and hair are really glowing! Even my hands look younger!

8) My clothes are fitting waaaay better and my shoes aren't tight anymore! I know the scale hasn't moved all that much but the inches are coming off quicker than the pounds! :)

9) People under 20 don't know who Fonzi is!

Okay just threw that last one in there to see if you were still paying attention.

10:37 p.m. and I have a very early wake-up call tomorrow.
nite.

californiaprettypat 11-15-2012 04:32 PM

Day 17, down 1/2 pound

YAY! Official weigh in: 171.5

Nothing to report. Had a good day and feel good.

Nite

kkotelman 11-16-2012 09:13 PM

Congrats on your progress. I also have been doing the green smoothies 3-4 days a week, mostly because I'm to lazy to cook. You might try to add some fat i.e. coconut oil, avacado, macadamia nuts. Also spirulina and chorella powder will REALLY help with the cleanse. They make the GS bright green and a little earthy/fresh, kind of grows on you.
look here for some ideas
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...e-recipes.html

californiaprettypat 11-20-2012 03:01 AM

So I woke up with a MONSTER headache Fri am but was soooo happy to see I had reached 170 on the scale! BUT, also for some reason my cycle started for the second time this month! I started normally on the 1st as expected and now again on the 16th! WEIRD! That's never happened before. (sorry guys for the girl talk). So why are my hormones messed up? From my cleanse?

Then my neighbor noticed I was looking thinner and my hubby (who knows better!) complimented me and told me how nice I looked in my outfit - he called me Sexy Mama! Well, that is all it took for my self-saboteur to rear its ugly head! I know from past experience that for some reason, as soon as my hubby starts noticing and commenting on my weight-loss I begin to sabotage myself. WHY DO I DO THAT???!!! Especially with my hormones raging!

I made it through the day fine but in the evening I decided to have a piece of sour-dough toast with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - this was always my go-to snack of choice when I craved carbs. Not surprisingly it didn't taste as good as I thought it would and thankfully I stopped at only one piece and didn't have my normal four!

Well! The next morning my eyes were all swollen and watery again and I looked and felt awful! My allergies were crazy out of control. Don't know if it was the bread (wheat?) or the butter but one of the two was definitely the culprit!

My husband wanted to take me out to dinner to celebrate a real estate transaction we closed that day and I was good - I ordered salmon - YUM! but also had veggies that were sauteed in something pretty salty, and yes, stupid me had a roll AND my hubby and I shared a piece of chocolate cake! See, I got into that whole, "well I already had this so I might as well have that," mode. My husband says that is what drug addicts and alcoholics do to justify their drug/alcohol binges! Guess I have a disease then! Anyway, the next day, Sunday, we took the kids to see the new Twilight (which was AWESOME!) and I had about a cup of popcorn with butter and salt and a couple bites of chocolate - none of which really tasted as good as I remembered.

So Monday morning I weighed 174 again, probably water-gain from the salt. I also noticed that my joints are stiff and sore again which I hadn't even noticed were better until now that they are stiff again!

So all day Monday I happily stuck to my GSs - especially now that I know most of my problems (allergies, ugly-looking eyes, stiff joints, weight-gain) were all from food sensitivities. Knowing that, I now feel stronger than ever in my resolve to not eat badly again - I hate feeling and looking bad and if not having salt and wheat and sugar ever again is what it takes to feel and look good - now I know how easy it is and how great it feels to eliminate all that crap from my diet.

Today I am back to 172 but my eyes still look puffy and my allergies are still raging. Also, I still have this unexpected mid-month cycle for the 4th day now which is obviously contributing to my symptoms and played a huge role in the weakness in my resolve (sorry again guys).

So I'm not going to beat myself up for messing up this weekend because I learned a very valuable lesson: food sensitivities make me miserable! I am happy to be back on my GSs and now know for certain that I am on the road to good health.

Wow, this was a looooong post - sorry if I am boring you guys! Over eleven hundred views on this thread, it's comforting to know you guys are out there! Thanks to Kkotelman for posting and for the recipies! :)

californiaprettypat 11-20-2012 01:16 PM

Well I will be signing off now for a few days because we're leaving for the river tomorrow morning and I will not have internet there. I will pack my NutriBullet and make my GS's while I'm gone but will allow myself to nibble on ThanksGiving goodies while on vacation if I feel like it. I am happy and confident that I will stay at this weight (172) or maybe go up a smidge and then I know how to get it off nice and fast when I get back.

So Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy your family, friends, everything and be thankful for your health and the many loving relationships you have in your life!

Nite

californiaprettypat 11-28-2012 03:23 AM

I'm Back!

Yay! I'm back! Today's weigh-in: 172.4

I pretty much ate whatever I wanted while we were camping and my husband conveniently forgot to pack my cooler full of veggies for my GSs so I was unable to have any at all during my trip. :(

I was actually afraid to get on the scale on Monday morning. Yesterday I weighed in at 174 which is about what I expected. I cheated and took a diuretic and was happy to see the scale at 172.4 this morning. I know it was only water weight lost from the diuretic but I know I ate a lot of salty foods and now I feel like I'm at my true weight and anything lost from here forward will be ugly fat and not more water.

I have to say that I really looked and felt great while camping. My hubby commented on how flat my tummy looked in my tight capris with a little t-shirt. It was hot there so I couldn't get away with hiding behind jackets and sweaters and I am happy to say I don't feel like I needed to. I still weigh A LOT but I guess I must have lost more inches than pounds because I feel like I look like I weigh a lot less. Anyway I won't be happy until the scale is WAY down, around 120-ish. So I have a LOOOOOONG way to go.

I feel a bit achy and shivery these past couple days and wonder if I picked up a flu bug. The last thing I want is a cold smoothie because I'm already so cold. I tried warming one up like Montel Williams blender does to make a hot soup and it was AWFUL! YUCK! Down the drain it went!

I'm having a bit of warm gluten-free oatmeal with a splash of almond milk and stevia right now as I write this because I'm just not ready for a cold smoothie yet. This will be my last solid meal for a while so I am really enjoying it. I will still snack on an apple here and there but really want to get my weight down as quickly as possible so will go back to having just smoothies until I see a significant weight loss! My first Christmas party is December 15, which is 2.5 weeks away. Hopefully I will be close to 160 by then.

Okay, that's it for now. Thanks for your support and have a great day!

meachan 11-29-2012 02:47 AM

Congrats, CPP! So cool to hear about your progress! :)

How do you like the NutriBullet as far as frozen foods go? I am looking for a new blender to make banana ice cream in (frozen bananas + any other frozen fruit of your choice, blended), but the Vitamix is out of my price range, and I know average blenders like the Black and Decker blenders arent strong enough to handle a bunch of frozen things. Any advice?

californiaprettypat 12-02-2012 02:52 AM

Meachan: definately get the NutriBullet - it obliterates frozen food and anything else you throw in there. My only complaint about this little baby it just that, it's little. The largest cup holds 24 ozs. and you can't fill it up all the way. when you throw a couple of cups of kale/spinach and then water and a few berries - it's already full. I wish they made a 32 oz cup for this because my smoothies are always too big.

So now onto my progress, sadly my weight is stalling and I'm really frustrated. I am stuck at 172. I have gotten into the habit of adding stevia to my smoothies and I am thinking that it is the culprit. My cravings have increased and I am getting night-time leg cramps/restless legs. Since I began adding stevia I am craving so much I am having one small meal each day usually of oatmeal - with more stevia! It has to be the stevia so today the stevia stops!

I want to to drop another 10 lbs. by 12/15 so here is my solution:

Also, anyone who wants to try this and wants to know more, my aunt discovered a Dr. Oz 3-day smoothie cleanse/fast. He provides recipes, a shopping list, everything you need. The smoothies are pretty much what I am doing but I am not adding the almond butter and I will follow the fast for the entire 15 days (I started yesterday). I am also NOT having the stevia which he allows in the morning green tea.

Here is the link: (there are videos and everything if you want to watch)

Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox Cleanse One-Sheet | The Dr. Oz Show

GOOD LUCK!

And please post your progress if you decide to follow it - it's only 3 days! DO IT!