Dangers of the Atkins Diet! >

Dangers of the Atkins Diet!

Community
Notices

Dangers of the Atkins Diet!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

MunaAmin:

Americans embraced the low fat approach and didn't question it. However, it was so difficult to follow that the majority went the other extreme. It was a relief after trying to eat "correctly". There are studies that contradict whatever it is you read. There are always studies and statistics that contradict each other.

The Atkins way of eating has nothing to do with reducing total calorie intake. Not in the original plan that later was modified to please those who had an interest in what Dr. Atkins wrote.

1. For those of us who have the tendency to overeat feel no need to following this plan. Eating food with a higher fat content than what the USDA recommends results in more satisfying meals.

2. The metabolic state we put our bodies into through ketosis has nothing to do with restricting calories. Read the science behind it.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

I'd be thrilled to have a 'complete lack of ignorance'!

With that said I think both a completely vegan diet and an extremely low carb diet are both unhealthy for most people.

I think eating fresh fruits and vegetables (organic if you can afford them) is wonderful and eating them cooked or raw (depending on the fruit or vegetable) is very healthy and these should make up a large portion of people's diet. I also think that eggs, lean meats, and poultry are healthy and that it's ok to drink/eat some dairy as long as you're not lactose intolerant.

I tried to go on a vegetarian diet more than once, primarily because I saw vegetarians as 'thin and healthy'. When people said they were vegetarian they always looked that way. However it just didn't work for me. At first I felt so much better, had so much energy, felt less sluggish, etc. but this was just a temporary thing. I couldn't do it long term. I started feeling really yucky and worn out and the only thing that helped that was meat. So I had to go back to eating moderate amounts of meat.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 AM
FitDay Member

And yo do this by coming into a generic thread? Why not be professional and go throught he correct channels.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 PM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone,

I am seeing a dietition because not only do I need a bit of help in loosing the weight I want to loose but needed help with improving energy and changing my overall eatting habits. She suggested I needed to eat more fresh vegetables and fruit. As far as meat, I was advised to eat chicken and fish and if I did eat red meat to eat it rarely. I do eat some grains but not alot and if I do, just brown rice and rye breads.

I don't think I could handle an all vegetarian diet only because I've been anemic before. I also take calcium and vitamin D supliments as well because I was tested and my vitamin D was low.

I did go on the Atkins diet a long time ago and did loose some weight on that diet but it is a difficult diet to do. I later read where it is dangerous. Now you all mention that it pulls calcuim from the bones. If so, I won't ever attempt to try that diet again then because I have been told by a chiropractor I have osteopenia in my spine so I'm trying to do weight training, take extra vitamin D and extra calcium to hopefully stop and reverse that.

Terri
Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

It is pretty obvious that none of you have actually READ the Atkins books or looked at the last 40 years of research. If you're not interested in Atkins, that's fine. But, you should at least read the books before you start 'dissin' it. We aren't attacking your vegan approach--which can be deadly to those of us with insulin problems.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by TerriLSpencer
Hello everyone,

I am seeing a dietition because not only do I need a bit of help in loosing the weight I want to loose but needed help with improving energy and changing my overall eatting habits. She suggested I needed to eat more fresh vegetables and fruit. As far as meat, I was advised to eat chicken and fish and if I did eat red meat to eat it rarely. I do eat some grains but not alot and if I do, just brown rice and rye breads.

I don't think I could handle an all vegetarian diet only because I've been anemic before. I also take calcium and vitamin D supliments as well because I was tested and my vitamin D was low.

I did go on the Atkins diet a long time ago and did loose some weight on that diet but it is a difficult diet to do. I later read where it is dangerous. Now you all mention that it pulls calcuim from the bones. If so, I won't ever attempt to try that diet again then because I have been told by a chiropractor I have osteopenia in my spine so I'm trying to do weight training, take extra vitamin D and extra calcium to hopefully stop and reverse that.

Terri
Don't go by what you've "heard." Read the books and look at the research. I have been low-carb (most of the time on Atkins maintenance) for many years. It has done nothing but help my insulin resistance--and I have no arthritis. I did, but was able to rebuild the cartilage and bone loss through diet and supplements (with the x-rays to prove it).
Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 AM
FitDay Member

Amen!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by littlegreeneone
Remember, Dr. Atkins suffered a heart attack which the American Heart Association linked to the Atkins Diet.
Actually, Dr. Atkins died of head trauma, after slipping on the ice on the way to work. (And he weighed 195lbs when he was admitted to the hospital following the fall, which was not considered overweight for his height.)

Please, do some basic research before posting such falsehoods.

At least check Snopes!

(Yes, he had a heart attack a year prior to his fall, but it was due to an infection, not diet related. Again -- CHECK YOUR FACTS.)

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 04-06-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
FitDay Member

Completely agree with tandoorichicken. I pretty much follow the same diet. Did a low-carb caveman diet (still eating cheese and yoghurt though) initially to loose the weight, now I eat a few grains like rice and oats occasionally, and try to avoid glutenous grains (although I do occasionally have a fat day where I eat/drink anything I want). I would definetely recommend Atkin's diet for weight loss, as long as you eat plenty of fresh vegetables. Vegetables will neutralise the acidity in the blood from the ketones and eating meat etc. Barley grass is a known alkalising food. Fasting also forces the body to utilise ketones, and fasting is known to be very beneficial. So the body is designed to be able to utilise ketones as an energy source. I personally, go on and off ketosis to manage my weight and stay healthy.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

Also forgot to mention that my bone density has increased since doing my diet, and I have been a sufferer of "shin splints" - an overuse injury in the tibia (bone in lower leg), where the bone becomes weaker and or inflammed, and now I am completely healed with no shin problems whatsoever. I thank my diet for that, but also my physiotherapy. So I can't say ketosis has pulled calcium out of my bones.