Notices

Ketogenic Diet Correct Fat Intake, help

Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Ketogenic Diet Correct Fat Intake, help

I am doing a ketogenic diet, I have a question. I cook 6oz of beef with 2 coconut oil tablespoon and I also drink 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil before each meal. I dont know if I'm consuming too much fat, because sometimes i feel too full and sleepy after eating, and sometimes I get nausea. In fit day I introduce the 6oz of cooked beef and the 2 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil that I drink.

Do I have to introduce in fitday the 2 tablespoons of oil I use to cook too? And the condiments? (one dash of salt, oregano, black pepper that I use to cook?) My fat percentage in fit day is of 73% without introducing the coconut oil that I use to cook.

I am in my four week of ketogenic diet, i am 27 years old ectomorph 168 cm - 120 lb with depression/dysphoria, i am consuming around 1500 calories per day, thanks for help.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Has your doctor suggested the ketogenic diet for you? He or she would be able to give you the best insights. Low-carb diets differ and there is variety.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

I am in a third world country, doctors dont use ketogenic diet, they only want make money with antidepressants, i take antidepressants three years, none of them work, this my last chance, i cant find help, in his website the dr perlmutter recommend a 10% carb, 30% protein, 60% fats to cure adhd, depression, improve parkinson, epilepsy, i am trying this percent's with the help of fitday.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

Please don't consider this your only hope. A doctor is still going to be your most import resource and support if only because there is more to diet than just a mix of macronutrients! There are also dietitians and nutritionists who can advise you and give you support and information to keep you healthy.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:38 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by majinboo
I am in a third world country, doctors dont use ketogenic diet, they only want make money with antidepressants, i take antidepressants three years, none of them work, this my last chance, i cant find help, in his website the dr perlmutter recommend a 10% carb, 30% protein, 60% fats to cure adhd, depression, improve parkinson, epilepsy, i am trying this percent's with the help of fitday.
Yes, you should include the cooking oil. You might try using less of it for cooking, just enough to keep the food from sticking to the pan.

I am using the same daily percentages, so far I am enjoying a clear, more focused mind with noticeably better mood. I am not on medication but struggle with stress and low-grade depression. I am using myself as a test because I would like my teenage son to try this to help with his ADHD and depression. He is currently on medications and I won't stop those without the doctor's consent, but there are side effects and he doesn't like taking them.

Like most kids, he generally eats a high-carb diet. He is not usually hungry in the mornings, but will drink a smoothie or hot chocolate. I'm going to start giving him a hot blended drink in the morning with a chocolate nutrition powder, warmed unsweetened almond milk, 2 tsp. coconut oil and 1 Tbl. grass-fed butter.

I've been drinking "Bulletproof coffee" in the mornings which is made with the coconut oil and butter. It fills me up and tastes delicious!
Old 08-23-2014, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

I eat 10/25/65, and some days I eat 75% fat, with no problem.

Ketosis won't be affected by too many grams of fat. Worry about grams of carbohydrate, and you will stay in ketosis. Atkins had a diet that was 90 % fat/10 % protein, aiming to get deep into ketosis, so I don't think you can eat too much fat. So just keep carbs low, and you will stay in ketosis. Count any food that you eat though.

Personally, the idea of drinking oil, makes me nauseous. I would eat it in my dishes. Also take note of when you feel nauseous. Is it after drinking oil, or when it is in a dish.

You cans supplement fat in other ways too.. cream cheese, avocado, macadamia nuts, mayo etc, are all high fat, and may not be as greasy as oil, which may cause nausea. Have 1/2 an avocado with eggs and butter for breakfast, and maybe eat some chicken mixed with mayo for a meal. Make that the basis of your diet, and add in vegetables in the proper amounts, or nuts, and cheeses for a snack. You may want to cut down to 60 % fat, but I would worry more about the carbohydrate you eat than the fat. We tend to cycle between days of really high fat (80 % ), and lower fat ( 60 % ).The other food that will vary should be protein. Higher fat/lower protein, and vice versa. Carbohydrates though, should stay the same. I aim for under 20 grams a day.

If nausea continues, then go back to doctor.

Last edited by Russell1974; 09-17-2014 at 05:58 PM.