FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Can I lose weight without exercise? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/9459-can-i-lose-weight-without-exercise.html)

SpringTime2525 04-20-2013 07:43 PM

Can I lose weight without exercise?

I try to work out everyday but ... is very tedious sometime :confused:
Is working out sooooo important for losing weight ? :rolleyes:

askoolteacher 04-20-2013 11:06 PM

Losing weight is 80-90% how you eat. You absolutely can lose weight without exercising. Having said that, you may want to explore ANY form of movement that you will do on a regular basis to improve your health.

carolynnq 04-21-2013 04:08 AM

It takes about 3500 calories to lose a pound. You can lose weight by eating 3500 calories less than your body needs or by exercising away 3500 calories.

For example, if your body needs 2000 calories a day to maintain its weight with your current activity level, if you ate 1500 calories a day for a week, you'd have a 500 calorie a day deficit. Times that times 7 and that's 3500 calories which should translate to about a pound loss in weight.

Or if you eat 2000 calories a day and jogged for 9 hours a week, the jogging would burn about 3500 calories and you'd lose about a pound.

Eating fewer calories a day is the easier way to weight loss, but exercise can supplement it and tone your body. Also, as you replace fat with muscle, you'll burn more calories.

supernu 04-21-2013 05:29 AM

Needing to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound is a theoretical formula that does not take into account a persons age, weight, and/or activity level. In reality you don't have to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound, you can lose 3 pounds of water from your body if you just cut the sugar & salt for 1 week, but there's a catch. That's right, this does not work for everyone, once again, your weight is a major factor in this scenario.

rancherwife 04-22-2013 06:03 AM

I lost 30lbs in 3 months without any "official" exercising. I don't enjoy working out gym style either, but I do have a very active lifestyle as we are ranchers and am always out doing chores, riding horses, gardening etc. But that was all the activity I did, and I counted every calorie I consumed every day. For me it was getting my eating under control that made me loose the weight, and I had to find healthy alternatives for dessert which is a must for me!

So it can be done, you just have to be willing to really regulate your diet and not cheat! I saw a post somewhere the other day that said "If you don't like to exercise, diet harder - if you don't like to diet, exercise harder" You can't get to your goals without doing both but you can find the balance point that works for you!

smurfette54 04-22-2013 02:12 PM

All of this is great information.
Rancherwife's post is fantastic.
I personally love to exercise and am upset when I can't. I also like to eat. I have to count my calories for sure in order to lose any weight. The days that I exercise, I sometimes get to eat a treat if I have been good with my other food choices that day. If I know I am going out to eat, such as for a birthday or special event I make sure and work out that morning so I can eat that piece of birthday cake later that day.

My mantra is "all things in moderation". Well, maybe not everything ;)

beccafries 04-23-2013 01:31 AM

to answer your question...YES u can lose wt w/out exercising...I do...when I don't exercise that week...

anneyauster 05-27-2013 10:46 PM

Hey
You can't lose weight without exercise, exercise is key to lose weight,
With that you have to required proper diet plan because only workout and without healthy eating doesn't make any sense

Rengetfit 05-31-2013 04:05 PM

Exercise is definitely tedious when it feels like a chore. I think exercise ought to be something you love doing and look forward to. I also think having a goal other than weight loss in mind helps to motive you. My brother-in-law lost nearly 100 pounds running when he discovered he loves running.

I LOVE to ride my bike. I love the way I feel after 30 minutes of tackling hills and racing cars. It's exhilarating. If I don't get to ride in the morning, I'm disappointed. I'm planning a kayaking trip and an overnight hike this summer, so I'm feeling super motivated to get in better condition to enjoy the things I love most.

Positive reinforcement instead of negative. Find something you love that keeps your heart rate up! The pounds will melt off and your health will improve.

rachi28id 06-01-2013 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by SpringTime2525 (Post 98195)

Yes it's very imporatant to do exercies,but the most imporatnt is your eating habits,you should focus on low calorie foods that will absolutely help you reach your targeted weight

brianadam 06-04-2013 11:10 PM

Hi,,

Yes exercise plays an important role to reduce weight. By exercising you can burn fat..

tjclass 07-01-2013 01:59 AM

oh springtime im with you on this one im afraid ...i find exercising daily too much of a chore , i just don't seem to be able to motivate myself into doing it ...hmm that makes me sound soooo lazy! I start of with good intentions but it doesn't take long to wear of or for me to say i have something to do today il do them again tomorrow nd you know that saying tomorrow never comes well that's the case with me and exercise .....so im also happy to receive any help on this problem im also having ....sorry for crashing your post springtime and not being much help with any useful info :/

max-pain07 08-11-2013 01:20 AM

It's not necessary to exercise to lose weight, in fact some research shows that exercising too much works against you in two ways.

1. It makes you hungry if you exercise too much (glucose level drops)
2. Many feel the need to 'reward with food' after hard exercise, and over do the food intake or food type. 'I just ran for an hour, surely I deserve an ice cream treat' (most of the calories in ice cream come from fat).

Truth is you can jog for an hour (about 500-600 calories) and do it 7 days a week and only lose a pound (500x7=3500) of -fat- (you might lose more "weight").

But if you cut back 500 calories (two sandwiches) per day, you can lose the same.

I'd say do some kind of movement until you start to lightly sweat (maybe 30 min brisk walking) something you can keep up day after day, and cut back slowly on white carbs, or substitute less fatty meats, and you'll fairly easily drop 1lb/week.

geoffreydunn12 08-15-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by carolynnq (Post 98205)
It takes about 3500 calories to lose a pound. You can lose weight by eating 3500 calories less than your body needs or by exercising away 3500 calories.

For example, if your body needs 2000 calories a day to maintain its weight with your current activity level, if you ate 1500 calories a day for a week, you'd have a 500 calorie a day deficit. Times that times 7 and that's 3500 calories which should translate to about a pound loss in weight.

Or if you eat 2000 calories a day and jogged for 9 hours a week, the jogging would burn about 3500 calories and you'd lose about a pound.

Eating fewer calories a day is the easier way to weight loss, but exercise can supplement it and tone your body. Also, as you replace fat with muscle, you'll burn more calories.

I have to agree with you and thanks for providing such a great information with us. I also try to eliminate at least 1000 calories from my daily eating and although I'm struggling to do that I think I'm balancing well things. I don't have enough time to exercise daily so I would only do it 3x a week and I'm fine with that.

rachidinho 08-31-2013 08:19 AM

you can lose weight without exercise.

Drink a glass of water or a cup of herbal tea before each meal or two just in case. What you think is hunger might just be thirst — it can be difficult to tell the difference. Drinking a full glass of water and waiting a few minutes can help you make sure you're really hungry before you dig in.

The water will also take up a little room in your stomach, which will help you feel satisfied even if you eat less. If you don't want to drink the whole glass before a meal, try taking sips between each bite.
If you crave sugary drinks instead of water, trick yourself. Put a slice of lemon or lime in your water bottle to add flavor.

Corte 09-02-2013 04:05 PM

For the best results you want to do a little bit of both. Eating right is the best key to losing, but you certainly want to add in some exercise just to keep you healthier.

[email protected] 09-23-2013 10:11 PM

Yes, balance diet and exercise is important to lose weight. You must focus in what you want to do.

AmyJEllis 09-29-2013 08:01 PM

Recently i was going through this article http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/MY00432 loved it and would like to share.

fatty0 09-29-2013 11:10 PM

you can loss, but maybe no enough, i did loss already ago... 1 year? and i didnt a lot exercise, but now............ its soooooooooooooooooo hard to loss if i dont do exercise, that why im not lossing now xD BUT NO MORE! IM GOING TO DO IT TOMORROW! LETS DO IT!^^

YanaGl 10-05-2013 02:07 PM

Lose weight with little or no exercise

The answer is of course not. Working out is not very important for weight loss. Working out everyday can infact hurt the weightloss regime. Working out twice a week can definitely speed up the process. But if you hate exercising, then just walking for half an hour a few times a week is beneficial to health. Less calories and lots of nutrients is key to what you want to achieve :) Try the 5:2 fasting diet.Very easy to follow and very effective. Its huge in the UK and gaining alot of media attention. I have been on it for two months. Its great!

neil3847 10-11-2013 03:40 AM

Working out is extremely important part of overall health.There may be a variety of fast ways to lose weight but the most effective way is to lose weight gradually through proper diet plan and regular exercises.

neil3847 10-11-2013 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by carolynnq (Post 98205)

Awesome tips for weight loss, really those tips are useful to reducing our weight. Thanks sharing your best words about weight loss.

geoffreydunn12 10-12-2013 03:43 PM

Yes you can, but to effectively lose more weight exercise is vital. People who exercise regularly can lose more weight than those who are not active. Also, I agree that eating less calorie food each day is effective and proven. If you consume 2000 calories a day but happen to monitor it and only eating 1500 chances are you can lose 1-2 pounds a week.

Hannahswan 10-15-2013 05:11 AM

Right now I'm using Roca Labs. I started 2 weeks ago. I'm 5 lbs down but it requires a little exercise as well. I'm planning on losing 50 lbs with it. I hope it helps . You can also try it :)

Kathy13118 11-23-2013 05:49 AM

If you exercise in moderation, you'll find that you actually feel better, too!

dm88263 11-27-2013 11:17 PM

If we wanna loss weight without exercise then we have to eat green vegetable and drink fruits juice, because in which not include fat.

sewingclass 12-02-2013 11:19 AM

yes it is possible but is your objective just to lose weight or to live a healthy lifestyle. Try to incorporate some sort of physical activity that you enjoy - going for a walk with your friends or family , exploring new neighborhoods or parks in your area, maybe swimming at your local pool, a yoga class,golf,anything that you think you would like to do long term or just for fun that increases your general well being. I dislike sweating and being "on display" I have two left feet so any dance or activity involving that is out for me so I workout at home on my treadmill and with weights all alone. I enjoy it but I also like to take our dog for a walk daily meeting up at a local park with other owners so the dogs can run and play and we chat about whatever. Changing your dietary habits is a long term process if you want to keep the weight off. I hope you find the right combination for you and are successful.

cynthiajvazquez 12-29-2013 09:17 PM

Working out isn't that essential for loosing weight to some extend.But for good results workout is necessary most days in a week.It is also necessary to maintain our shape.For maintaining the benefits of weight loss an increase in Resting metabolism Rate(RTR) is necessary.I have attended a Weight Loss Program in toronto.Thy told me that RTR could be increased by making exercise a daily routine.

pierrenaa 12-30-2013 06:33 AM

home exercise

home exercise programs are a great way to keep fit and lose weight. Along with proper diet and nutrition, an exercise program can help speed your metabolism and burn calories faste

draelosmetabolic 12-31-2013 09:06 PM

Hello... Very nice post. But it totally depends on your food. Use vitamin foods so that you can healthy. This is very slow trick but very effective.

MissClara 02-20-2014 09:38 PM

but your body wont suffer if you lose wait and no exercise ? it wont look nasty ?

rinaharry 03-01-2014 09:10 PM

avoid laziness, try to practice to get good results

weightloser1234 03-02-2014 08:29 PM

the shortcut method is sometime not better to gain good and enough results. if you follow up daily schedule, you can grab the best results.

Urmo345 03-02-2014 09:28 PM

I did it years ago and lost 10 kg with low fat diet. Yet, it took me almost a year as it is, eating and still losing weight i mean, slow process.

with exercise i would lose same amount of weight inside few months.

weightloser1234 03-03-2014 04:49 PM

weight lose only matters the proper exercise and healthy meal plan. so you must have to take care about this.

weightloser1234 03-21-2014 12:16 AM

Weight loss is the good way to remain fit. If you consider to do regular exercise and diet control. You will gain best lifestyle.

RebeccaJhon 03-21-2014 06:51 PM

All of give us great information. Yes, you can loss your weight without exercise.
Diet plays an important role in bulking and cutting. I always try to maintain my diet to maintain my fitness and weight. It is good to eat natural and healthy food in diet and good to reduce calories to prevent from fat. Drink green tea because it has many benefits.

rahaf@123mm 08-08-2014 01:01 PM

When anyone decides to make a weight loss plan, they seem excited about it at first. But about a week later, working out can get really boring and tiresome. I myself can't stand to spend long hours at gym doing the same exercises everyday. While most weight loss plans tell you working out is important I think you can do just fine without it. I have lost some weight myself without working out, I only went for a little walk from time to time. And that's about all.
3500 calories equals a pound. That means that knocking 500 calories off your daily diet will result in a loss of 1 pound a week — without increasing exercise.
Your diet is responsible for 80-90% of your success or failure when it comes to losing weight and getting healthier. If I could only tell you to fix one thing, your diet or exercising, it would be your diet. For sure.

You can use these tips that helped me lose weight without working out:
-Drink a lot of water, Filling up on water before a meal helps encouraging portion control. If you’re hungry, try drinking a glass of water and waiting 20 minutes. You may not be hungry anymore. Beside water has no calories, so it’s a great alternative to other beverages that contain calories like soda.
-You can also eat veggies and fruit that contain a lot of water, they will fill you up faster, causing you to eat less. And they’re often very low in calories. Eat fresh veggies and fruit like apples, blueberries, grapes and orange, for veggies, Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower and tomatoes.
-Eat breakfast. studies indicate that eating breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism and gets it working for the day and that helps burning calories. And Avoid eating late at night. Because your body doesn't burn a lot of calories while you're asleep.
- Chew a Piece of Gum it may not be the ideal weight loss tool, but it can curb your appetite when it comes to snacking, decreasing hunger between meals.
-If you can handle spice, try adding some cayenne pepper to your meals to cut cravings. A 2011 study found the desire to consume fatty, salty, and sweet foods decreased more after the long term spicy food intake.

When I tried looking for ways to lose weight without exercise I found a lot of tips, but the ones above worked out best for me. Good luck using them.

you can also check this program, it helps losing weight through a great diet without any exercises:

crystawaston332 08-02-2018 01:17 AM

Yes off course drinking more water can helps you in losing extra weight.

BarneyBunch 08-02-2018 04:00 AM

There's a lot of great info in this thread. The important thing to remember is that the majority of weight loss comes from a proper diet. You can lose weight if you monitor your calorie intake levels, but that doesn't mean that working out isn't helpful. Working out does help you lose some calories, but I think the important aspect about working out is that it help you out with maintaining your overall fitness. It's important to stay fit and active. It'll help your body function, which in turn will also help in losing weight.