FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   New Years Day Lose 10% of Your Body Weight Challenge (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/5422-new-years-day-lose-10%25-your-body-weight-challenge.html)

mecompco 10-09-2011 11:42 PM

New Years Day Lose 10% of Your Body Weight Challenge

Yup, time to suit up for the final 10% Challenge of 2011! Of course, the 10% is only a suggestion, everyone is welcome to work towards whatever goal he or she thinks is reasonable.

Like in past challenges we'll use this thread for discussion and the Check In thread for updates.

To get started, copy and past the last person's Check In thread and add your own info. We'll post starting weight and losses along the way. If you want to track your percentage, the simple formula is "pounds lost divided by starting weight".

Let's enjoy the challenge and end 2011 lighter and healthier than we are now!

Regards,
Michael

bojibridge 10-10-2011 12:27 AM

I'm in for the new challenge! I guess 10% will be 17.3 lbs, so that will put me at 156.5 lbs. Make it an even 156, I guess! Wow, can't wait.

taubele 10-10-2011 02:35 AM

I'm in for the new challenge! I'm currently 162.8 according to my scale, so a 10% loss would put me at 146.5 -- I'll round it down to 146!

wildbeanerz 10-10-2011 05:51 AM

I'm starting at 279.8lbs so 27.9 would be 10%, I am rounding that to 28lbs so my goal is 251...OMG !!! If I do this right I could start next year weighing 250lbs! :D :D

MAIN80 10-10-2011 05:19 PM

I am in!

I need to lose 6 more pounds to get to my goal weight, I am certain I can do it by the end of the year and honestly would like to do way before that. So I will update the weight every two weeks.

Congrats everyone on the losses, lets end this year with a blast.

mecompco 10-10-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 59096)
I'm starting at 279.8lbs so 27.9 would be 10%, I am rounding that to 28lbs so my goal is 251...OMG !!! If I do this right I could start next year weighing 250lbs! :D :D

April, how exciting, 249 would be a great and milestone! Only a hop-skip-jump from there to the "ones". You can DO IT!

Regards,
Michael

mtlgirl 10-10-2011 10:11 PM

I'm in!

I need to lose 17.4 pounds to meet this challenge which will put me at 156.6!!! I will round this down to 156. I will be thrilled to be in the 150s! :)

Good luck, Everyone!

MEHSTG 10-10-2011 10:19 PM

Hello everyone,
I would like to join also and think this is a good achievable target.
My starting weight a few day's back was 252, and that is what I will kick off with. I intend to weigh myself only once a week, so hopefully being accountable will keep me on the straight and narrow.
Best wishes to all, Dave.

lastri 10-11-2011 01:45 AM

I let myself lose and fall of the wagon too long. Today I push 140, 10% would be 14 pounds, that will put me at 126. OMG, that would be awesome.
Mai

wildbeanerz 10-12-2011 03:02 AM

I just took a quick scan of the results list to see where everyone is starting and realized that I am the heaviest on the list :(

Jane850 10-12-2011 03:29 AM

I'm in! Starting at 206, my goal is 185. Goodbye 200's!:)

Jane

wildbeanerz 10-12-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by jjeand (Post 59324)
Wildbeanerz: "I just took a quick scan of the results list to see where everyone is starting and realized that I am the heaviest on the list" That shouldn't be a sad icon - you said it yourself - YOU ARE ON THE LIST. You're doing it!

Thank you! It is just that old feeling of being the fattest in the room. I'll get over it.... because if I make my 10% that will mean I lost the most on the list in that time period too!! :D LOL

mecompco 10-12-2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 59330)
Thank you! It is just that old feeling of being the fattest in the room. I'll get over it.... because if I make my 10% that will mean I lost the most on the list in that time period too!! :D LOL

April, I've been "the fattest person in the room" for most of my 47 years (childhood included) so I know how you feel. I'm not proud to admit that I quite enjoy NOT being that person anymore, though I do very much feel for those who are still in that situation.

But, you won't be in this situation forever because you're here and you're sticking to your guns and getting this done. I can't count the number of people who've come and gone during the 17 months I've been on the forum. For some like you and me things just click. All it takes then is time. I guarantee that if you stick around that you'll never be at the top of the list again!

Regards,
Michael

wildbeanerz 10-12-2011 05:48 AM

Thanks Michael!!! :)

ChibiSub 10-18-2011 03:18 AM

I am up for the challenge! Starting at 160, so hoping to lose at least 20 pounds.

lballiro 10-18-2011 07:45 AM

new years goal

My target date is actually 12/15/11 - but new year's day gives me a bit of time to reach it in case I slack off!

Sept 15 2011 - 148
October 15 2011 - 138
Target Weight - 128 New Year's Day

Kumochi 10-19-2011 12:40 AM

I'm off to a good start although the scales has been playing with me. I was down 2 more pounds earlier in the week with a sudden drop however the scales climbed back up. Maybe it will show that loss again for my next weight in day. I'll be happy when I can move my scales back to it's usual location. Mary

mecompco 10-20-2011 08:55 PM

Able to post a two pound loss today. Was off to a really slow start due to the prior week of higher than usual calories. Stayed much closer to my 1500-1600 daily level this week (did have one 2K cal day) and the results are obvious.

I'm going to shoot for another two pound loss for next week--who's with me?! :D

Regards,
Michael

DancinBear2 10-24-2011 12:00 AM

Congratulations Michael on the losses. The fact that you can still lose 2 pounds in a week after 18 months of this is great. Keep up the good work.

As for me, I have been following along but I haven't been posting much because I don't have much to report. My weight has stayed roughly the same for the last six weeks. I haven't been as strict with myself as when I first started so I know what the problem is, I just need to do something about it.

mecompco 10-24-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DancinBear2 (Post 60406)
Congratulations Michael on the losses. The fact that you can still lose 2 pounds in a week after 18 months of this is great. Keep up the good work.

As for me, I have been following along but I haven't been posting much because I don't have much to report. My weight has stayed roughly the same for the last six weeks. I haven't been as strict with myself as when I first started so I know what the problem is, I just need to do something about it.

Mark, I'm right there with you. If I'm "good" and stay under 1600 then I can still lose, if I eat closer to my maintenance level (calculated at around 2400) then I don't. I'm still bouncing, but haven't been back over 198 so I think the 2 lbs. is "for real".

This is really a time of danger as I feel really good. I'm more-or-less "normal" and that promotes the thoughts that I am "normal". Which, history tells us, is not the case. I'm being vigilant against slipping into any habits that might derail this lifestyle change.

Now, let's get under 195, wadda you say?!

Regards,
Michael

MAIN80 10-25-2011 06:16 AM

I had to post up a gain this week :( But I know I haven't committed 100% so I can't complain.

Congrats on the loss Michael, and others on the check in thread some nice numbers there.

Mark, hope you can report a loss soon.

Cheers everyone.

Donkey12 10-25-2011 06:52 AM

10% wt loss challenge

10% wt loss challenge by new years!
current wt 172lbs (10.25.11)
10% wt loss 17.2 lbs
Weight goal 154 lbs (1.1.12)

New Years Day Lose 10% of Your Body Weight Challenge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, time to suit up for the final 10% Challenge of 2011! Of course, the 10% is only a suggestion, everyone is welcome to work towards whatever goal he or she thinks is reasonable.

Like in past challenges we'll use this thread for discussion and the Check In thread for updates.

To get started, copy and past the last person's Check In thread and add your own info. We'll post starting weight and losses along the way. If you want to track your percentage, the simple formula is "pounds lost divided by starting weight".

Let's enjoy the challenge and end 2011 lighter and healthier than we are now!

Regards,
Michael

47 M 5'9"

May 4, 2010......... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010...... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011...... 229 lbs. (164 documented lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight.... 197 lbs. (Size 38 Jeans)

New Year's Day Goal 179 lbs. (01/01/12)
Ultimate Goal 169 lbs. (04/01/12)

"Try not. Either do, or do not. There is no try." Yoda

yunalee 10-27-2011 11:45 PM

hi i know i'm alittle late in starting but i'd like to try this 10% loss challenge as well

my starting weight would be 233.4 pounds so that'd be 23.34 but i'll round up to 23.4 to lose so i'd be at 210 lbs by the new year.

i've lost 7 pounds snice then so thats 3% lost already

mecompco 10-28-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by yunalee (Post 60804)
hi i know i'm alittle late in starting but i'd like to try this 10% loss challenge as well

my starting weight would be 233.4 pounds so that'd be 23.34 but i'll round up to 23.4 to lose so i'd be at 210 lbs by the new year.

i've lost 7 pounds snice then so thats 3% lost already

Awesome--welcome aboard! Great to see that ol' scale headed in the right direction, isn't it?!

Regards,
Michael

mecompco 10-28-2011 09:29 PM

October's winding down, hard to believe!

So, we're about three weeks into the challenge and it looks like we're off to a great start!

Had a pretty good week, actually got a bit of walking in. Was pleased to see 193.5 on the scale this morning, so a 3lb. loss. I'm sure it will "bounce" up a pound as is usually the case, but as long as the trend is downward I'm happy.

Have a great week, everyone!

Regards,
Michael

mecompco 11-05-2011 11:28 PM

What a crazy ride--193.5 last week, then a "bounce" up to 197, now a week later down to 190 even. That's the way I seem to lose these days, sure do miss the days of fairly consistent big drops!

But, that's to be expected, I guess. Did pretty well this week, no beer and only one day significantly over my 1500-1600 (around 2K).

I have gotten pretty heavy into Green Tea, perhaps that's helping? Anyweigh, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be into the 170's by New Years.

How's everyone else doing?

Regards,
Michael

Kumochi 11-06-2011 01:26 AM

Glad to see you doing well Michael. I find I do well when drinking my green tea. I'm expecting to post good results next Friday as I'm increasing my exercise and stopping lying to myself about my calorie intake. Mary

mecompco 11-06-2011 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kumochi (Post 61575)
Glad to see you doing well Michael. I find I do well when drinking my green tea. I'm expecting to post good results next Friday as I'm increasing my exercise and stopping lying to myself about my calorie intake. Mary

Mary, being honest with ourselves is very difficult. I know I have a tendency to estimate low on portions. That's one reason why I set my intake on the low side (1500). I log everything, but sometimes one just can't weigh/measure portions. I figure if I'm staying between 1500 and under 1700 then I'm "safe", regardless of minor errors.

My calorie average had snuck up to around 2k there for a while, mainly due to the occasional 6 pack of ale or meal out. At that point I lose very slowly and any more and I don't lose at all.

I'm thinking my eventual maintenance level is going to be around 2400-2500 or thereabouts. If/when I make the commitment to build some muscles perhaps that will go up a bit.

Anyway, stick to your guns and let's make the final days of 2011 good healthy ones!

Regards,
Michael

waynegretzky 11-06-2011 03:16 AM

It's too easy to relax and start losing focus on portion sizes or knowing how many calories you are consuming in a day. Next thing is two weeks goes by and your weight hasn't changed.

I am constantly checking in on calorie numbers for foods and have to keep measuring portions to know i am good on what i am eating. Any less and my weight loss comes to a grinding halt!

01gt4.6 11-06-2011 04:19 AM

Hey can I join... a month late? Current weight 185.2 goal weight 166.6

bojibridge 11-06-2011 05:32 AM

So, I'm still plugging away, but don't seem to be getting anywhere these days... kinda disheartening, but I'm still at it. It seems like unless I'm logging like 1000 calorie deficits a day, I don't lose. Like, you'd think that 600 calorie deficits would add up over time, but the weight just isn't coming off. I've been stuck at the same weight for a month. Anyway, I just hate how it makes me feel like I'm not accomplishing anything, even when I think I'm doing all the right things. But to those of you who are on the roll, keep up the good work! Hopefully things will get moving with me soon, too!

MonkeyDave19 11-06-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by bojibridge (Post 61596)
So, I'm still plugging away, but don't seem to be getting anywhere these days... kinda disheartening, but I'm still at it. It seems like unless I'm logging like 1000 calorie deficits a day, I don't lose. Like, you'd think that 600 calorie deficits would add up over time, but the weight just isn't coming off. I've been stuck at the same weight for a month. Anyway, I just hate how it makes me feel like I'm not accomplishing anything, even when I think I'm doing all the right things. But to those of you who are on the roll, keep up the good work! Hopefully things will get moving with me soon, too!

Sorry to hear you're working hard and not seeing results. It sounds like you need to shock your body by changing your routine and eating differently.

Try exercising in different ways and at different times. Try to load a day each week with protein and minimal or no carbs. Works a treat for me when I seem to plateau

01gt4.6 11-06-2011 07:27 AM

Monkey, I just subscribed to your YT channel. I meant to earlier but it totally slipped my mind. Check out mine some time.

01gt4.6 11-06-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 61572)
What a crazy ride--193.5 last week, then a "bounce" up to 197, now a week later down to 190 even. That's the way I seem to lose these days, sure do miss the days of fairly consistent big drops!

But, that's to be expected, I guess. Did pretty well this week, no beer and only one day significantly over my 1500-1600 (around 2K).

I have gotten pretty heavy into Green Tea, perhaps that's helping? Anyweigh, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be into the 170's by New Years.

How's everyone else doing?

Regards,
Michael

Yeah what you can expect from weight loss definitely changed the closer you get to your goal weight. Just keep pushing. How you started a weight lifting routine yet? I know you had talked about it a while back.

mecompco 11-06-2011 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 61604)
Yeah what you can expect from weight loss definitely changed the closer you get to your goal weight. Just keep pushing. How you started a weight lifting routine yet? I know you had talked about it a while back.

Yup, down to the last 25 to go--man am I going to be scrawny at 165! And no, I've not begun lifting yet. Hey, it's not as if I have a gym in my school building, or a full bench and weights at home, or a private gym at my office building, or any Anytime Fitness gym within 100 yards of both buildings. Oh, wait, I do. :o

I have no end of excuses, but it all comes down to priorities, I guess (and perhaps a dose of laziness). I KNOW I've gotta do it.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco 11-09-2011 09:06 PM

30 Days In!

We're slightly over a third of the way into the Challenge--the first 30 days have gone pretty well for me, how 'bout everyone else?

Collectively, we've lost 77 pounds in a month!

Come on and let's kick this into gear--2012 will be here before we know it!

Regards,
Michael

yunalee 11-11-2011 04:18 AM

i'm about 1/3 down for my goal!

i think my body is gettting used to healthier eatting, but it just means i need to kick up the work outs (current doing pretty much nothing the pass 2 weeks almost)

just hard when my film project is starting to get heavy on my shoulders.

come april (when i'm done school) i'm gonna start making a full workout routine and maybe sign up for the gym if i can afford it

kdf1081 11-22-2011 07:04 AM

My Husband Lost 10% doing a 24 Day Challenge

Hey everyone! My husband and I started using supplements from a company called Advocare. They have the most amazing products, and I've never felt better. He used their 24 day challenge and lost 17 pounds while on it. He still wants to loose more but it was a great kick start without having to do any crazy dieting. Of course you still have to watch what you eat put it did give you some structure and also gave you energy while you got through it. If anyone is interested please let me know, the stuff is awesome!!!:D

01gt4.6 11-22-2011 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by kdf1081 (Post 63194)
If anyone is interested please let me know, the stuff is awesome!!!

That's awesome news. I lost 28 if 15 days by only eating spam. About 12 years ago I lost 125 pounds of dead weight IN ONE DAY, just by getting a divorce.

bojibridge 11-22-2011 12:08 PM

Nice, Mike!