Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 01/23/12 >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 01/23/12

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 01/23/12

Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Darlene, it was Bad To The Bone by George Thorogood.

Kimbur, one last question. I just saw one of your underwater videos, do you use a gopro? I was thinking about a gopro hero 2 for when I get my bike and was just curious if you had any feedback on it.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I almost forgot to ask... who's been keeping a close eye on their "girls"? Who has scheduled a mammogram (or as we would call it down here, a ma'am o gram)?

Me, but it got screwed up because obviously nothing was destined to work out for me yesterday. I'm rescheduled for Feb 6.

1. 1350 calories max. 896, 1368, 1326
2. Exercise 6 times. One, Two
3. At least 2 sports bottles water. Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Log everything and post that number! Yes, Pretty sure I left out some cough drops,, Yes
5. No treats masquerading as snacks, even if they fit the numbers (thanks, Mern!). None, 2 peppermints and some (organic ) cinnamon cereal, None

Life:
1. Organize/put away items in guest room. Put away but I may rearrange
2. Stay on schedule with work reports. Yes, Nope, but beyond my control, Still catching up
3. Research and order faucets. Not yet
4. Write card for pediatrician. Not yet
5. Be patient, be patient, be patient. So far, so good! Immensely, don't know where it came from, Yes
Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Cassie ~ No problem in asking. The health group I attend uses a curriculum (1st Place 4 Health) that addresses our spiritual, thinking, emotional & physical aspects. We meet once per week for 12-wk sessions in which we are held accountable & given encouragement for eating, exercise and any other goals that we make for ourselves. The leader for this particular group often addresses food preparation or exercise techniques. I really plan to keep attending such a group once I reach maintenance. I know that I'll need this forum & that group more than ever then! I also plan to continue to use FitDay to help me keep in sight what I'm doing. Like so many people I've lost & gained wt before-- which is sooo unhealthy.

Kay ~ Glad that you're feeling better. Sounds like you needed that sleep. I really hope that this school will work better with you & your son.

Darlene ~ I'm going to be putting household goals next with my check-ins here. You're quite an inspiration with all the hard work that you're doing around your house.

Tracey ~ Yeaaaaaaaaaay!!!! Congrats on your 2lbs gone. Sounds like you've a lot of creativity going on with your nutrition. I like how you're thinking of it as an adventure.

Tori ~ You sound like you have some good thinking on your shoulders. BTW -- I'm also looking for 200 lb "prize", but probably closer to April. That meatloaf meal sounds yummy. Great going on your walk.

Mern ~ Yup! That water thing is something else. But, as with my other goals it will become better. It's like I need to set the goals at a certain place so that I focus on certain numbers & habits.

How do I treat myself? Well, one way is sitting at the computer for little breaks & chatting with this lovely chatty bunch. I also like to read or watch a movie - when all are in bed. I'm a bit of a late owl. One day I had an extra Christmas gift that we ended not giving. Sooo .. that gift became mine & I love it. A nice warm, soft blue throw with a little bag & warm footies to match. You see, I'm learning to love & respect myself. BTW -- Thanks for the hug. My muscle strain should get better everyday. I walked today, but did no twisting!

I think you must be a wonderful mother & grandmother. How lucky your daughter is to have you as her mother.

Almeeker ~ Oh dear! I'm so sorry about your cold. Please take lots of care.

Kimbur~ You've great aspirations & it seems as if you are focused well on your goals. Kudos to you! I checked out your awesome blog -- I really hope you can reach your goals soon so you can carry on with your passion of diving like you wish.

-------------------
I went to dietician today. I'm to use the Pyramid plan, implementing the idea of servings. After I get labs done next, we'll either keep the same plan or go to a more regimented eating plan. So ... I'm really rather pleased. This dietician is so encouraging. From the last visit to today I've lost 10 lbs on their records!

Last edited by fit4luv; 01-25-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to convince anyone to go on low carb. You all do what's best for you and what your doctor approves of. I'm just answering Darlene's questions. I do very low carb in order to manage my blood sugar without medication, having been from about 2004 to August of 2011 classified as pre-diabetic.

Darlene, it's really pretty easy to eat very low carb like I do. It just takes learning what's high carb and what's not. I achieve my 25g net carb target by choosing ONLY low carb foods to eat and there are plenty of those in each of the food groups. My 25g carbs are after fiber is deducted.

Here's a tip: when manufacturers make stuff low fat, as in salad dressings, baked goods, etc., they take out a lot of the fat, but that reduces the flavor. So they often add SUGAR in place of the fat. Did you ever notice that low fat dairy products are most often higher in carbs? I don't know what they do that increases the carbs, though--never bothered to look it up.

I don't skip any food groups--that would be unhealthy. My doctor has reviewed my food logs from FitDay and has seen that I get all the vitamins and minerals I need from my food plus one vitamin fortified low carb protein shake daily. My blood tests consistently show no other daily vitamin supplement needed EXCEPT for 2000mg vitamin D3.

--My fruit: I eat half a Haas avocado daily for 5 net carbs. I can also eat any kind of berries (except grapes), any kind of melon (except for watermelon). Occasionally I enjoy half a fresh peach. I don't worry about eating any more variety of fruit than that. Both my doctor and a nurse told me that I can enjoy my berries and melon, but I can get the same vitamins found in fruits from all the low carb veggies I eat. So I can lump my fruits and veggies together and know I'm getting plenty of nutrition.

--Veggies: The ones I eat are usually only 2 to 3 grams of net carbs per serving. I'm a real veggie lover, so you name it, I'll eat it as long as it's low carb. I don't eat any starchy veggies such as potatoes, corn, starchy beans. BUT I can eat black soy beans. I eat at least 5 servings of low carb veggies per day. Huge variety of veggies: fresh and cooked spinach, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, celery, green beans, brussels sprouts, cabbage, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, broccoli, asparagus, just to name a few.

--For grains I eat four to eight tablespoons of zero net carb flaxmeal daily plus I also add 1/2 a low carb tortilla daily. On days that my only fruit is the 1/2 avocado, I sometimes enjoy a 3 net carb flaxmeal muffin or half a serving of Dreamfields low net effective carb pasta for 2 1/2 g carbs.

--Dairy is a one net carb whey protein shake daily (40% of the daily recommended allowance of calcium), any kind of cheese (cottage cheese and ricotta also included), butter, sour cream, regular cream, yogurt. About the only dairy I can't have is milk. I don't take a calcium supplement because my blood tests show my calcium level is great.

The meat and fish I eat are unbreaded.

Now, I'm not perfect! I do cheat sometimes. Today I accidentally (truly accidentally) went over in carbs to about 32.2g net because I didn't have access to the computer to log until after dinner. I didn't cheat--it was all low carb--just added up to more than I would have thought.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Mern; 01-25-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM
FitDay Member

I completely lied, I didn't catch up with everyone's posts. I'm just gonna say congrats to all those doing well and hang in there to all those who are struggling. I'm gonna make it a goal next week to try and keep up with everything around here.

Health/Fitness
1--under 1300 calories--the year Columbus sailed the ocean blue....1492, 1098, 1302 I'm countin it!
2--drink more water--not setting an actual goal for oz, seems to get me frazzled if I don't make it. So I'm just gonna say, drink more water.--almost through with 48 oz. Might not make it tonight, but closer than last week, pretty much the same. downed a liter while walking though, another liter while walking. Maybe tomorrow I'll carry 2 bottles with me!
3--walk at least 10 miles--now that I've strapped on my "walking shoes" I'm kinda liking it. Gives me time to think (scary huh??? )--rained. all. day., 2.06, 3.01 which is a cool 5.07 so far for the week! I SSOOO got this one!
4--work out 4 times--I'm gonna hit this goal this week if it KILLS ME!!!--took the day off, nooooo, ummmmmmm I'm gonna knock this one out the next 4 days!
5--another 2??? Starting weight Monday morning--215.6, up exactly a pound this morning at 216.6, back down *yay* weighed in at 214.2 this morning **WHOOP WHOOP**

Life/Home
1--clean out home office--EEEEHHHHH who needs a cleaned and straightened home office??
2--get by WalMart and buy cables to hook up DVD player--didn't even get IN THE CAR today!
3--stop worrying about it. It's gonna happen whether I want it to or not--eeehhhh, I took a 2 hour nap where I didn't think about or worry about it at all, tried my best, thought about then went walking and thought about it some more. finally made a decision about it.
4--call Dr. about blood work and asthma meds--I'll do it tomorrow???
5--scout out a new eye dr.--don't ya love when the insurance stops paying for you to see the same dr. you've seen for 7 years!!! And he was cute....sigh, stupid insurance--didn't even do this! geez I was a slacker today!
6--research hotels for Mardi Gras.....otherwise we might be asking if we can sleep in someone's recently cleaned out garage , really started to look haven't settled on anything yet, looked at a few today (thanks for the info Mike) and one is ruled out because they don't have any rooms with 2 double beds, the other two are up for consideration
7--4 random acts of kindness. I like this goal, had to steal it--does being polite to the worthless manager count? no?? well, still 4 more to go then., I didn't kill the grouchy old man who was wandering through my stock room yelling at ME because he couldn't find the squash. THAT'S an act of kindness, I cooked for my Momma and Daddy

So, I spent a lazy "me day" and happy that I did so. Yeah, there were things to do but they'll still be here tomorrow. After work tomorrow I have to make it by Wally World and get those cables for the DVD player. It's one of the reasons I haven't done any of my 4 workouts so far. The player isn't working and it's hard to see on the laptop. While I'm out shopping I need to run by PetSmart and pick up the pink nail caps for Jas (PetCo doesn't carry colored ones) and then come home, scoop up Jas and wrestle her into the carrier and then drive to the opposite side of town to get the caps put on. I'd do it all at PetSmart, but they don't have anyone who "does cats". The nearest PS that does have someone that "does cats" is 30 minutes from home, so that's out. It's a hassle, but she's gonna look STYLIN!!!! I'll have to post pics!

I finally got around to coloring my hair and it's now almost worse than before. I covered most of the grey, but now I have about 4 different colors of hair. When will I ever learn!?!?!?!?! So next week's goals will probably have something in there about going to the salon and having them strip all this color out and starting over. SIGHHHHH But this time it's my own fault. It's not as bad as it has been in the past though. I've had tiger stripes and white spotches. At least this time the colors progressively get darker and it's not light dark light dark.

Something wonderful: Actually I have 2. 1-So as I was putting on my knee brace to hit the streets I noticed that I now have full fledged ankles! They're not "at least they aren't cankles" ankles. They are "holy sh*t, I have ANKLES" ankles! And I cut my 3 mile time by almost 5 minutes. 2-My Daddy was packing up some meatloaf to take and he looks at me and says "Have I told you that I'm proud of you?" Which, being a Daddy's girl, of course gave me a case of the AWWWWWWWWs. But I had to put up a front, cause that's just how I am, and said "well, no, but you should be!" He then tells me that when I hit my goal weight he'll take me shopping!!! I don't care how old I am, it's always nice to hear that my parents are proud of me. I just love that man!!

Going to get some sleep now. Hope everyone has a great night and a wonderful start to their Thursday!

Last edited by ToriD1012; 01-25-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Me, but it got screwed up because obviously nothing was destined to work out for me yesterday. I'm rescheduled for Feb 6.
Well that sucks that it got screwed up. I was talking to my GF the other day and recommended that she get one. She complained about how painful they are etc, etc. I was almost going to say that I hear that they aren't that bad but caught myself. I could see me trying to explain how I talk to women online about there breasts and have it sound innocent. So as much as I "shoot from the hip" I still know when to keep my mouth shut.

Tori, I don't give this out too often so you should feel special. Here's to your ankles!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dar n
Tori Getting rest and relaxation is important so it’s not nothing it’s a me day and you deserve them. I hope you enjoyed your dinner I keep chuckling as you use the word great in the same sentence as meatloaf it has to be my least favorite food and my hubby likes it but I won’t make it for him.
OMGah!!! I love love love meatloaf! Which is funny because I hated it as a kid. You should treat DH and make him some sometime. It really is a treat for me now. And I can't have meatloaf without perfectly lumpy mashed potatoes. Potatoes of any kind are my go to comfort food. My Nannie said once when I was little that she wanted to sit me down in front of a pot of mashed potatoes just to see how much I could eat. It's no wonder I wound up fat!!!
Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I was talking to my GF the other day and recommended that she get one. She complained about how painful they are etc, etc. I was almost going to say that I hear that they aren't that bad but caught myself. I could see me trying to explain how I talk to women online about there breasts and have it sound innocent. So as much as I "shoot from the hip" I still know when to keep my mouth shut.
yyyeeeahhh, that conversation probably wouldn't end well for you. Sometimes secrets are a good thing
Originally Posted by 01gt.6
Tori, I don't give this out too often so you should feel special. Here's to your ankles!
Awww I gots a Dancing Banana!!! Who might be a cheerleader too, cause those hands kinda look like pom poms! Thanks Mike!!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
FitDay Member

Tracey. Know what you mean about trying to keep up when faced with the time difference. I try to log on before work and in the evening but everyone e,se seems to be around in between then and there are pages and pages to get through lol

Mike. Hope you get that other policy written. bTW my ring tone is Bad to the Bone.

Off to work and I'm already late, will catch up later
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
FitDay Member

Mern I don’t think I could give up my fruit I see what you mean though when I looked at my net carbs between the raspberries and banana that I ate today. I do not eat anything low fat or low anything really as it’s usually higher in food additives which I try to avoid whenever I can. I eat the same way with veggies as you do but I do eat beans, I love black and pinto beans the most. Do you use a fiber supplement since grains give you fiber that fruit and veggies cannot or does your flax, pardon the question keep things regular if I skip to many days with no whole grains It’s not so great in that area. I will need to look into yogurts mine is 11 net carbs. Thanks for sharing I feel pretty good having this info and looking at were my carbs are coming from they are definitely complex carbs no simple ones at all this week. I had 70 net carbs today mainly from my banana, half cup rice and milk and there is no way I am giving up my coffee with milk. Thanks again!

Fit4luv 10lbs is a great loss congrats!

Tori Nope I will not make meatloaf or liver he does enjoy it if he sees it on a menu and a girlfriend of mine from church brings him liver and onions whenever she makes it. We have a deal I don’t cook hamburger and he doesn’t have to eat squash, hey it works. I am glad you enjoyed your family time and new clothes are a great reward for hitting your goals. Nice job on getting ankles, it’s great when we can physically see the benefits of our hard work!

Goals:
Walk 25k: M=6.2k, T=4.8k, W=0
Exercise 5 days: M=Hike, T=Treadmill, W=0
Squats 5 days: M=50, T=50, W=75
Ab work 5 days: M=Y, T=Y, W=Y
Calories less than 1400: M=1281, T=1123, W=1266
Calorie deficit of 5000 for week: M=-1002, T=-894, W=-840
No sugar: M=Y, T=Y, W=Y
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 AM
FitDay Member

Darlene, I'm happy to share my way of eating with you.

I misspoke about my veggies. I said I eat five servings of veggies per day, but it's actually five servings of fruits and vegetables combined. I was counting my daily half avocado which is botanically a fruit but I think of it as a veggie.

Flaxmeal: you probably know our bodies can only use it if it's ground. We can't digest the seeds. It has four grams of carbs per tablespoon, ALL of which are fiber. I use it to help reduce my high cholesterol. I'm lucky to be regular without it, though. My ex DIL uses flaxmeal to keep regular.

Supplements: the only ones I use are fish oil, vitamin D3 and my one gram net carb vitamin fortified low carb protein shake.

Yogurt: You MAY be overcounting your yogurt carbs. Check to see if your yogurt label says it "contains" (not is "made with") live cultures, and lists the names of at least two kinds of bacteria (and the more the better), such as lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidus, or l. casei. If so that 12g carbs is counting up to 8g carbs that are killed off by the introduction of the bacteria. The bacteria turns milk into yogurt and kills off sugar in the lactose. For further reading on that see Yogurt on a Low-Carb Diet - Counting the Carbs in Yogurt

There are certain things I won't give up, either. I use non-dairy creamer in my coffee for a max of 2 carbs per day from that.

Gotta go get my grandkids off to school. If you have any further questions on the way I eat, feel free to ask. But know that low carb is low carb according to YOUR needs. My way isn't the only way. I just go this low (25g net) with my doctor's supervision and blood tests every four months at this time so I don't wind up on meds for high blood sugar.

Last edited by Mern; 01-26-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.