Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/18 >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/18

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/18

Old 07-19-2011, 01:21 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you, ladies! Ah yes, Mern... to be 29 again! If truth be told, I like the age that I am now. (Especially since I've lost weight.) At 29, I weighed 128. My highest, 168, was when I was in my mid 30's. Today the scale said 118. I'll take it.

I'm at a really nice place at 49. I'm old enough to have the advantage of wisdom, experience and hindsight and young enough to make "course corrections" if need be. My "little ones" are now, for the most part, self-sufficient, giving my husband and I lots of newly found (and greatly appreciated) time to "date" one another again. And, although I'm certainly not rich by any stretch of the imagination, I no longer have the financial worries that I did when I was young.

My mom always told me that 40 would be the best time of my life... I disagree. I'm totally convinced that it's more like 50, especially if you're blessed enough to be physically fit and healthy.

My life is about to change dramatically when my daughter leaves for school, as I've been a full-time mom for 17 years and have had a child living at home, steadily, for 28. But, there will be no "empty nest" syndrome for this girl. I love my children with all my heart, but I'm extremely excited to be entering a new phase of my life. I have a lot of exciting options... I've even played with the idea of going back to school, not for income, but for me. (I no longer have any interest in working in business administration and corporate training as I used to.)

And, although I know that I'll be in tears the day I drop my daughter off at school, I'm equally excited to see what she'll do next! To me, raising kids is kind of like a novel... you just keep turning the pages, and the story unfolds, right before your eyes. I'm quite confident that her "novel" is going to be a happy and exciting one.

So, thank you for letting me "reflect". It feels wonderful to see in writing that although I have "gotten off at the wrong exit" a few times in my life, overall, it's been a great ride and I wouldn't change a thing.

My husband and I were actually playing with a restaurant idea over the weekend... stay tuned... you just never know...

quinn
Old 07-19-2011, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Quinn... Happy Birthday! You sound so wonderfully happy and at peace with your life.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6

Quinn, I'll see if I can find one. Most things that I make from scratch don't get measured. I try to eyeball a lot. A pinch here, dash there, scoop here, etc. I learned that from my mom.

Great cooks never measure anything... that's why we generally can't bake!

... and the smart ones got all of their best lessons from their mom!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:07 AM
FitDay Member

Happy Birthday Quinn. I loved your positive reflection. Going back to school can be great. I did it when 3 of my kids were in university. It didn't seem fair that they could go and I hadn't! Enjoy the next decade. Life just gets better. Mary
Old 07-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks to everyone for the picture comments It's still weird for me to post pics of myself and I'm pretty self-conscious, but it's nice to hear that we looked happy and relaxed. That was a great day for us, and we needed the getaway, so I'm glad it showed!

aspikes: I'm going to second that I love your "eat from freezer" goal. I only have a tiny freezer so it doesn't apply to me, but is it weird that it made me want to GET a freezer? I kind of can't wait until I do. I'm pretty sick of having to buy things fresh all the time. There's just no room in the apartment for one.

Joanna: Ooooh, grad school! It's a "fun" experience!!! A Ph.D. in astrophysics is amazing, super kudos to you for finding a program that you're excited about - and an NSF grant, WOW, that's so impressive! Good job! I just finished my Ph.D. in May of 2010 (Neuroscience). Penn State is a great school! 6 years is starting to be the average for Ph.D., isn't it? It's crazy. I was lucky to get mine in 5. What's your research focus? You seem like you've lived a really intersting life - which was your favorite place to live? Congrats on the insulin lowering, that's so fantastic!

Rubystars: Co-workers are making you feel bad?? Good for you for trying not to let it get to you! You go girl!

jj: ROFL at the push-up bras in DD. I have no idea why they make them either, it's just overkill. I own one, though >.> It's BF's favorite! I will say that as I lost weight "the girls" were resistant at first, but they've definitely gotten smaller. I went from a 38DD to a 38D, and now I'm in a 36D -- and I'm pretty sure I'll be a C soon, as there's some room in the cups on the bras I currently am wearing. I don't think they'll get much smaller than that, though, since I was a C/D cup when I was like 15.

Cassie: Sounds like you've had a stressful couple of weeks, but I like your focused mindset! You can do this, girl, we are ALL pushing for you! Your goals are good and YOU are fantastic! By the by, I went back and hunted for your strawberry pie picture, and OH MY GOODNESS, it looks like it's from a 5-star restaurant. Delicious! I'm sending you a big hug, it sounds like you had an emotional day.

Mern: You are such a sweetie, thank you for the compliments I'm really motivated this week and I hope I can stick to these goals. I like making them ambitious, it gives me no excuses. Looking forward to watching you kill your goals this week!

Mike: Big hugs for you. I've had some physical symptoms like you're describing for food - I'd get this weird excitement, especially if I was "sneaking" fast food, or pizza, or nachos, or whatever -- going off to the drive-thru when roommates were at work, or taking out a big bag of Doritos and devouring it when BF was out. I'd feel great right before and at the beginning of eating, and then there'd be this big shame spiral when I was done, wondering "why did I just do that? I feel worse than I did an hour ago." It was a terrible cycle. I don't think I was depressed, but there was surely a compulsion mixed with that "sneaking" feeling that did it for me. Even now I still get the compulsion, and if I give in, I'll give in more easily the next time, and the next time... It's horrible. It's a great thing you're doing by talking about it. And remember, you've been thrown really off-whack by your back issues and having to halt your exercise routine, as quinn smartly pointed out. You've been stressed, and food can be a comfort.

I know you'll right your own ship, and I look forward to watching you knock it out of the park in your own way!

quinn: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Man, you sound so happy and content. I only hope I'm half as cool as you at 49

Rose: Congratulations on the job!!! WOOOO! That's awesome! You are such a sweetheart, thank you <3 LOL, you can steal my 7,000 calorie goal for sure. I like making it ambitious, and in my head I *know* it's doable if I get in my proper exercise, so it's just another nudge to get my body to the gym and/or be active every day. You have to let us know how England is, I've never been to Europe, and it's a dream to get over there!

Main80: Best wishes on goals right back at you! Thanks for the compliment!

Monday Report Card

Food, Exercise, and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit M: -923 (Total: -923)
2) Average intake between 1100 and 1300 calories. No single day over 1450. M: 1,012 (Average: 1,012)
3) Average a 40/30/30 on macros M: 32/26/43 (Average: 32/26/43)
4) 96 oz. of water daily M: yes
5) Do not take off two days in a row from exercising. M: Day off (errands)
6) Total of 2 Lunches out and 1 Dinner out, maximum M: Leftover pizza for lunch (Total 1 Lunch, 0 Dinners)
7) Get to bed by 11:30 each night M: Squeaked in there!
8) Added goal - Multivitamin and Fiber pills daily M: No

Other Life Stuff:
1) 5 Hours of sewing this week M: No
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: Halfway
3) Try one new recipe (Maybe Mike's jambalaya if we get a recipe?! That thing looked GOOD!!!!) M-F: Weekend goal
4) Hair appointment M: No
5) Check in here every day, including weekends!!! M: Yup!

I did pretty good yesterday - my calories were a little low and the macros were wonky, but that's because A) I didn't eat breakfast and B) I had to finish leftover pizza for lunch, so there was a lot of fat. I had a nice light dinner though, a 4 oz. grilled chicken breast with garlic-pepper seasoning and a vegetable mix and a really light FF cheese sauce. It makes me feel indulgent even though it's very low-cal! Getting back on track today feels really good. I have two bathrooms to scrub tonight, and they are GROSS, so I'm going to wear my HRM and see how many calories I burn while I'm scrubbing the floors If it's not enough, I'll do a 30-minute workout as well.

Happy Tuesday everyone!!

~Terri
Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Great cooks never measure anything... that's why we generally can't bake!

... and the smart ones got all of their best lessons from their mom!
Glad to hear that! I don't measure either, and usually when following a recipe I change it! But I channel my grandmother rather than my mom, when cooking. Trust me, it's better that way . Not that my mom's a bad cook, but she doesn't like to do it and she's not creative in the least. I love the ideas I get from this site, though!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 07-19-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

^&*%$&#$ Fitday just ate my long post! Mike I just wrote a ton of wonderful advise but Fitday ate it. You will have to settle for what I can remember. I missed reading your post the first time so went looking for it.

What have you tried in the past to get through these spells? Does setting a date to get back on track work. If you set one we will all be here cheering for you. I have found going from very low carb to a more balanced diet difficult resulting in too many carb cravings. That's why I have avoided Atkins lately even though it works when on it. The food I can't say no to is milk chocolate. I'll eat whatever amount is available. I'm salivating as I type the word. Of course when I ate everything in what ever volumes I never salivated so that in itself is progress.

Remember that this too shall pass. Everything does - good or bad. So treasure the good and find a way to survive the bad with the least damage. We need you here pushing us on. Use the forum for any support you need. Maybe we should set up a F.A. Foodies Anonymous forum. I also need one for bad spellers!

Good Luck Mary
Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Terri,

"I only hope I'm half as cool as you at 49 "

ROFLMAO... Wow... I've never been called cool before... thanks!!

I'll pass that on to my kids who just refer to me as "my lame mom".
Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Terri,

"I only hope I'm half as cool as you at 49 "

ROFLMAO... Wow... I've never been called cool before... thanks!!

I'll pass that on to my kids who just refer to me as "my lame mom".
You are totally cool!!!!! I love reading all of your stories and insight. I think people are just biased when it comes to their own Moms I bet they think you're cooler than they let on, lol
Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Just a quick check in, if I miss anyone I'm sorry. I'll try to catch up later.

Today seems to be a little better, but now I'm actually stress so I'm trying to brace myself and fight back.

Quinn, Happy 29th again to you! I think I owe you and Terri a card. I'll see what I can come up with if given the time. I actually love to bake as well, but yeah, you have to measure stuff when baking. Baked stuff makes me weak, rum cake that's so moist you'd swear you just caught a buzz... YUMMY! Oh.... I make a lasagna that would make you want to slap your mama!!! The only problem is that it has so much cheese that it'll clog any pipe.

Mary, I copy and paste any post that took more than 2 minutes to type before hitting submit. It's a PITA but better than losing it. I think I do just need to find a balanced diet. Date? How about July 25- August 29?
5 weeks:
Only 5 cheat days
Walk/run 50 miles
Weight no more than 169#'s

Terri, You just described me! How scary is that??

[copy/paste/submit]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.