Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11

Community

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11

Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

sirion,

Clif Bars are pretty heavy in the calorie dept. but I'd think that any good carb should help.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

sirion, if it helps, I like this calorie calculator:

Calorie Calculator

Though I am not sure if it's now okay to leave up the link; some of them are being edited out. If this is, Google "zig zag calories" and it's the first one that comes up.

You don't have that many pounds to lose, so depending on how tall you are and your activity level, it may be hard to get a good deficit of calories; that's the boat I am in as well. It still happens; it just takes a little longer to lose it, that's all.

Trial and error is what will tell you the best amount of calories to be eating. It would be awesome if we could just plug something in and have it tell us the magic answer, wouldn't it?

Just make sure you choose nutrient dense foods and if you eat something heavy on carbs, try to pair it with a little bit of protein; that way, the carbs don't hit your bloodstream full force and it keeps your blood sugar level more stable throughout the day.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-25-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
FitDay Member

Taubele said: "It seems that this is a tough week all-round. I'm sending out the good karma and good ju-ju to everyone, and I hope that each day finds you able to say "I have everything I need today." That's always a good thing to know when your head hits the pillow, no matter your stressors or the speedbumps along the way"

Hey, taubele, you do a wonderful job handing out the encouragement. Thank YOU for all YOUR support. Congrats on the 68 oz. yesterday! That's great that you can drink 32-40 oz. water at work! I used to have a hard time getting in my 64 until almeeker gave me some tips on spreading it out. Whatever works is great!

Almeeker, thanks for the tips on getting in my water. I achieve it most days now. I so much appreciate all the help you've given me.

Cassie, wishing your son a great tournament this weekend and you lots of exercise and eating on plan as best you can.

Quinn! Congratulations on that scale finally moving! Happy grazing! I find I lose best when I can eat five or six small meals. I don't always do that, but it's easier for me since I don't work outside the home.

Jess, you could very well have a loss of a lb. in just a couple days. No matter if it's fat, water, or a combination of the two, weight is weight--and a pound lost makes you a pound slimmer. So congrats to ya, girl! Way to go!

sirion. way to go on leaving the cash at home so you won't be tempted to buy snacks. Did anyone mention nuts? They're a great protein snack, too, and have good shelf life as long as they're not stored in a place hot enough to make the oils go rancid.

Mike, yeah, you ARE doing great this week! Way to go!

Last edited by Mern; 02-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sirion
Thanks for your support--let me tell you guys what happened. Ok, so I sent my work emails and went for a brisk walk. When I came back, I felt very woozy--my legs were shaking, I felt weak, and very hot. I got a snack (a Kashi Go Lean bar for $2.40 ) and ate it. I felt better in about 15 minutes.

Does this mean my blood sugar was plummeting? Do I need to eat more calories or just space out the ones I am alloting to myself? I'm still within my calorie limits for the day if I eat a bit less chicken than I was planning at dinner tonight. This is only my second day of calorie restriction so I'm trying to figure out what my body needs. I ran 6.0 mph for 20 mins on the treadmill this morning and walked 4.0 mph for 40 mins this afternoon. What am I doing wrong to feel that way? It was a bad feeling
sirion,

I'm certainly not medically trained, but I have had some trouble with blood sugar levels. Symptoms like shaking and feeling hot are usually low blood sugar. What was your sugar consumption like prior to not feeling well? A glass of oj or something similar helps a lot when I first wake up and feel a little shaky. The fact that you felt better 15 minutes after having a bar is another good clue. Lots of things to balance when we cut calories. Be sure to take a good multi-vitamin as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 PM
FitDay Member

sirion- I agree with others that it sounds like it could be low blood sugar. With all the dancing you are doing on top of the running/walking you may need to up your calories. Days that I go to the gym in the morning and then dance later in the day, I need to eat more.
My body was never meant for a leotard. I teach ballroom dancing. Of course, some of those outfits, don't cover much!

stacey-what is bollywood? I have thought about taking a bellydancing class but have never gotten around to it.

cassie-congrat's that the scale moved! it can be so frustrating.

1.At least 64 oz water Yes, Yes
2.More fruits and veggiesYes,Yes
3 Fit in workout at gym 4 times this week-Two so far, make that 3!
4.In bed by 10 p.m. YES NO
5.No eating before bed No Yes
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
FitDay Member

Sound advice from quinn and mambogirl to sirion on the blood sugar and calories issues. So many sharing, caring members here!

My Thursday achievements:

Calorie limit 1600, actual 1550
Carbs less fiber limit 25g, actual 23.7g
Protein goal 110g, actual 109.9g (close enough)

Water goal 64 oz. achieved

Exercise goal 1 mile regular walking, actual only .31 mile. I chose to walk at the community park, but it was too cold after it began to lightly sprinkle rain. Since I exercised 10 days in a row, I quit and decided to take today as a day off exercise.

I might not be online tomorrow. Grandkids have another day off school for a teacher in-service day, so I'll be providing child care for two and supervising two. Then tomorrow night I have a one-on-one outing with my 7 year old grandson for the arcade games at Chuck E. Cheese, and then out for ice cream for him and decaf coffee or unsweetened iced tea for me. Wishing everyone a wonderful Friday and weekend!

Last edited by Mern; 02-24-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM
FitDay Member

Sirion, if no one has suggested a better tool or a simpler method and you still need to try to figure out how many calories you need and how many you burn, you may find the following helpful from a post I made to Julia a few days ago:

Originally Posted by Mern
Have you tried using the WEIGHT GOAL tab on FitDay? If you have some idea of how much you weigh now and what would be a reasonble weight loss for you by a certain date, you could use that to find out how many calories you should be eating.

For instance, in the WEIGHT GOAL box I put 240 as my starting weight on 1/17/2011. For my goal weight (actually a mini-goal) I put that I'd like to be 199.5 by 6/26/2011 and then I clicked the button right under the dates UPDATE MY WEIGHT GOAL

Most health care professionals recommend trying to lose no more than 2 lbs. per week, but it depends a lot on your metabolism.

Under the UPDATE MY WEIGHT GOAL button you'll see CALORIE BALANCE. Click that and it will take you to a screen telling you how many calories you burn - calorie restriction = calories you can eat.
Mine says I burn 2576 calories - calorie restriction 886 calories = calories I can eat is 1690 per day.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
FitDay Member

I was able to walk to the gym and actually work out today!!! I'm so excited! The last time that I got there I darn near had an anxiety attack so I'm super pumped about today! Not only was I able to walk in, but I'm also not too far off from where I left off! I'm modifying the C25K program and warmed up for 5 mins, then jogged for 1 & 1/2, walked for 1 & 1/2 min (rinse and repeat) until I hit 30 mins! The crew team won't know what hit 'em come fall!

I overslept today so didn't get to eat until 2pm, but man did I make up for it! I got to eat meat today! Oh man, there are not enough words to describe how happy I am about this! In the dining halls here, there is not a set meal routine, so one day everything but the salad bar will be fried, or another day it is nothing but potatoes. The only consistent aspect of the dining halls is that there is ALWAYS pizza. I'm going to try to lobby for my college to put a coherent schedule, and subsequent nutritional info, up on the internet!

Mern: I hope that you have a blast with your grandchildren!

Cassie: I love, love, LOVE that website! Number games with calories always make my day!

Mike: Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough kick in the pants. I certainly need it!

Sirion: What I find helps my snack-attacks/ blood sugar drops is to have a baggie with 1 cup Cherrios, a handful of nuts, or a piece of fruit. These will all go straight to your blood stream and help with the shakes. Another brand of bar to keep around, that is delicious, is SoyJoy. They’re relatively low in calories, are made from soy, and have fruit in them for that instant pick-me-up.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
FitDay Member

mambogirl ~ bollywood is an Indian dance often found in Indian movies. There is a whole style of movies Bollywood Movies they are musicals & the bollywood dance is fast & flirtatious. it's a mixture of traditional Indian Dance, Jazz, old 80's, bellydance all mashed together. it's lots of fun. i'm lucky as my teacher is Indian so I know i'm learning authentic bollywood.

mhibdon ~ awesome job both walking to the gym & working out woo hoo!

well i need to eat as i'm hungry. had a very good bollywood class tonight & burned a lot of calories i think, but my evening snack is calling my name. catch you all tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Health and Fitness:
1) -2100 cals for the week -349, -544, -284, -97
2) workout 3 days yes no yes yes
3) no cereal for the week none, no, not a bite, none
4) Avg a gallon of water/ day 140oz.,120oz., 126.9oz., 147.6oz.
5) Take Daily Vitamin... DAILY yes, yes, yes, yes
6) Take Fish Oil daily yep, yes, yes, yes
7) Avg 145g Protein (or more) per day 202.2g, 165.7g, 159.1g, 146.9
8) Avg 26% or lower fat for the week 21%, 30%, 19%, 22%

**The next two I will only attempt once this week so I will not update until I attempt**
9) Bench Press 275#'s (shooting for my body weight +~100#) NOPE, couldn't get it without a spotter
10) Dead Lift 310#'s HELL YEAH!

Other:
1) Change the brakes on my car not yet, this weekend
2) hound Almeeker daily until she registers for the race just a little, sort of,no, no

Cassie, I know that I've posted that link before, it's a good site. I was reluctant to post it the last time... in fact I did, then edited it out. It is a good calculator.

Mern, thank you. Congrats on the non stop 1 mile!

mhibdon, no problem, hopefully I wasn't too critical.

Quinn, Congrats on 119#'s. That should put you where you wanted to be, right?

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-24-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: ate a sammich, had to adjust #'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.