Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11

Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, wish I could be there to hug all who may need it!

Jacqueline, sounds like your news came out of nowhere and turned things upside down for a lot of your family. I know you can bring strength and support; don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

taubele, hope all is well on Friday, and that you don't have to wait too long for test results. Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part. My niece had a bad scare with melanoma in her early 20s and you are smart to be vigilant even if you think you shouldn't be at risk.

Jess, I can tell how frustrated you are. Uncertainty is hard to deal with. One day at a time, and Quinn is right, it's definitely an opportunity for you and your guy to learn to weather a storm together that can make you stronger. Hang in there.

Mern, you rocked your goals today! I'm going to chime in and second (third, fourth) the kudos from everyone that you are always there to cheer us on

Sorry I missed some folks but this thread has grown soooo much! And if I don't close down, I won't meet my #4 goal, so...good night everyone .
Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 PM
FitDay Member

Mern, kale with cinnamon reminds me of pregnancy cravings

Embarrasing it is, but I put on 3lb in the last week or so. I am reducing my intake further, I got onto 1750kcal yesterday (from 1900+), and I set my activity level on Sedentary to encourage myself to eat less. Maybe as I am weaning my baby off, I spend less calories breastfeeding.

I made fried chicken last night. Now before you all start tutting, it was our only 'proper' meal in the whole day. We set off in the morning to meet with this guy from migrant organisation, and what do we find on our car? A clamp. We parked on our neighbour's spot by mistake, thanks Angela. Great start of the day. One hour and 95euro later we were on our way, only to find after 3km that the car is overheating, coz the fan is broken. The car that we bought last weekend! Unbelievable. DH took kids home by walk, I continued by bus to meet with that guy. On the way home I bought one chicken and one large cauliflower, made 8 chicken portions without skin, dipped that all in egg and breadcrumbs and fried that. I made a ton of mashed potatoes for kids, and they all scoffed it like nothing.
I was so tired and stressed I didn't even want to comfort eat
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM
FitDay Member

Wednesday Report Card

Health and fitness goals:

1. Keep calories to 1,500 and 2,000 Fri-Sat. 1,493, 1,433, 2,055 Kids had a swim club banquet, dinner alone was 1,000+ calories, 2 full tables of food only 3 healthy choices and 2 of them were veg trays.
2. Workout 6 hours. 1:03, 1:18, 1:15 (Total 3:36)
3. Drink 96oz water. YES, YES, YES
4. Calorie deficit 3,500 for the week (average 500/day). -762, 1,049, -396 (Total 2,207)
5. Limit grain based carbs to 2 servings/day or less. NO 4, YES 2, NO 4,
6. Eat 5 servings of fruits & veggies/day. YES, YES, YES
7. Keep carbs to 45% or less. NO 54%, YES 45%, NO 57%,

Non-fitness goals:

8. Apply mascara 5X. NO, NO, YES
9. Average 6 items/day from the "LIST". NO, NO, NO 2
10. Clean out one small area of the basement. NO, NO, NO
11. Clean out pantry cupboards. NO, NO, NO
12. Clean 2 rooms daily (15 min each) and 1 load of laundry. NO, NO, 2 out of 3
13. Finish DD's Bloomer dress. Getting there, one piece left to do, Almost done
14. Call Grandma. YES!!!
15. Register for race and call SIL about same. NO, NO, NO

Yesterday I was doing well until dinner, the kids had a swim club banquet. I don't know what these people eat every day, but those potluck dishes were heavy on the carbs and swimming in fat. I estimate that the dinner I ate was around 1,000 and I did not go overboard on the portions at all. I made 1 trip through the line, didn't not completely fill my plate and only took foods I could identify as healthy. I'm certain that compared to what others ate, my dinner was meager in calories. Believe it or not the "meat" dish paid for by the club was pizza (double cheese, double pepperoni), which I skipped.

I'm sorry to hear that so many of you are having a tough week, a big warm squeeze cyber-style to all of you in need of comfort. My mother always said of rough days that it's God's way of helping you appreciate your good days a little more.

Well I gotta go or I'm never going to make my 6 hour workout goal for the week.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 PM
FitDay Member

Jess, I'm so glad to read that you and BF got some extra time. However much, at least you will have more time to come up with an alternative to your current place of residence and maybe being able to move out before you are made to leave. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Almeeker, you did WELL at the banquet with such unhealthful choices for your way of eating. Your body knows you treat it well--if you show a little gain next time you weight, it'll likely be water weight from excess sodium in those banquet dishes.

Muna, so sorry about your car problems and neighbor! No food police here to tell you what you can and can't eat or how to prepare it. People here lose weight by all sorts of methods, some limiting calories, some limiting portions, some doing a low fat or low carbohydrate diet... You lost almost 20 lbs. from your starting weight after your child's birth. You're doing great! I doubt you gained back three pounds of fat in the past week or so--that would take eating 10,500 extra calories. Don't get discouraged. You'll bounce back soon. Golly, I hope my desire for kale this week doesn't mean I'm pregnant at 64 years of age! LOL

Aw, Rose and Cassie, thanks for your kind words, too. I think YOU are wonderful and thoughtful and always there with support and kudos for everyone. Way to go on your goal achievements--you both set such good examples for us.

Rose, we have something in common: one of my favorite veggies is brussels sprouts. My next favorite is probably asparagus.

I don't usually make kale with cinnamon. A doctor on TV said cinnamon is good for helping get rid of belly fat. He recommends sprinkling it atop anything you'd like to try it on, and said he especially likes it in his coffee and on ice cream. I was just in the mood for something different and simply took the cinnamon shaker and sprinkled some atop cold, well-drained, leftover kale for a snack.

But for regular kale I just carefully wash the kale in cold water then peel away the leaves from the stems and discard the stems. Some people cover the kale in water for cooking, but I like the strong flavor, so add less water. I put it in a 2 or 3 quart pot and add about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water, cover the pot, and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until tender. I stir a couple times during cooking and check to be sure the water hasn't all evaporated so it doesn't scorch. I drain off most of the juice before serving and season with just salt. Some people season theirs with butter or lemon juice or vinegar.

My Wednesday achievements:
Calorie limit 1600, actual 1531
Carbs less fiber limit 25g, actual 21,8
Protein goal 110g, actual 130.2

Water goal 64 oz. achieved
Exercise: 1 full mile regular walking in my neighborhood. Will continue 1 mile for the rest of this week, hopefully my body will respond with better stamina. Taking a day off Sunday.

Last edited by Mern; 02-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 AM
FitDay Member

Wednesday's Report:

Woohoo!!! The scale finally moved! 119.0 this morning! I am now a "grazing" convert!

Food & Fitness:

1. Limit calories to 1200 and log everything. yes, yes, yes
2. Continually drink fluids all day long. yes, yes, yes
3. Balance pie chart. Add more protein. yes, yes, yes
4. Trail walk at least 3 times this week, weather permitting. weather not permitting, hopefully today, again hopefully today
5. Get BMI back under 20. I'M TRYING! 20.04, YES! 19.8!!!

Personal Goals:

1. Continue with "do something nice each day". (It's actually getting to be fun!) yes, yes, yes
2. Make sure daughter obtains necessary signatures by Friday's deadline. (18 in total!) sent her out the door with it, 2 to go, one to go-she's stressing me out!
3. Try to keep mouth shut when husband says, "Oh look! I'm down another 5 lbs.!" while eating nothing but garbage. Mums the word, He claims he's down again after eating an entire bag of potato chips last night... UUUGGGHHH!!!, His weight went up 2 lbs. Gave him my sympathy. haha
Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

WAY TO GO, QUINN! Happy for you!

Hope I can follow your lead and keep being good. This weekend will be a challenge; tournament, eating on the road, plus we are doing some kitchen renovations over the next couple weeks and I'll be out of the usual routine. As they say, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail, so time to put the thinking cap on.

Welcome, sirion; glad to have you join us! Good luck with your goals and enjoy the thread .
Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
taubele, hope all is well on Friday, and that you don't have to wait too long for test results. Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part. My niece had a bad scare with melanoma in her early 20s and you are smart to be vigilant even if you think you shouldn't be at risk.
Thanks Cassie We'll see. I'm hoping that much will be told by the test battery (including fancy imaging!) on-the-spot so that they can at least see if it's very solid or guesstimate at the size of it. Waiting is the hardest, but I do take comfort in the fact that it's being tackled early. I'm very proactive when it comes to my health (except for that whole weight thing )

Originally Posted by Mern
Taubele, aw, I hope your back gets better soon! Hard to reach that 64 oz., isn't it? I have to deliberately plan mine out--24 oz. by the end of breakfast, 20 more by the end of lunch, and the last 20 by the end of dinner. If I get behind that schedule I either pay for it by too frequent potty breaks or don't reach my water goal at all. You and I share the same mini-goal to get under 200. You're a lot closer than I, though. I hope your doctor appointment goes well.
Thanks very much Mern! I actually hit 68 oz. yesterday! Woooo! It's difficult for me to drink so much in the morning as you do, I just feel awful and bloated. So far I've got a system where I drink 8 oz. at breakfast, I try to get in 32-40 oz. at work, and then the rest is leftover for before bed. I'm just not a thirsty person at all, and forcing it makes me feel horrible. My boyfriend says I must be part-camel. I can go a day or two without drinking and feel fine, so even getting the base recommendations is a struggle. I'm trying my best, though I think I hit it yesterday cause I did my hardest workout yet, and I got in 3 servings during/after the workout.

Thanks so much for all your kind words to everyone, as well. You are obviously a kind and caring person.

It seems that this is a tough week all-round. I'm sending out the good karma and good ju-ju to everyone, and I hope that each day finds you able to say "I have everything I need today." That's always a good thing to know when your head hits the pillow, no matter your stressors or the speedbumps along the way <3

Now, for report card!

WEDNESDAY

Fitness goals for this week:

1) Keep up the 5 days per week working out (will probably be M T W F Sat, as I have to work out at night and I must get up SUPER early on Friday morning for a doc's appointment, so I will rest Thursday and make sure I get to bed early) -- 2x strength, 3x cardio, aiming for 60 mins. per day. -
Monday -- Bad back today from too much lifting at work - did 30 Day Shred as a compromise and it's screaming at me now.
Tuesday -- My back is better but I didn't want to push into injury. I did do grocery shopping and walked 1 mi. on lunch break at work. Not quite what I wanted, but it's better than nothing. Back at gym tomorrow
Wednesday -- Didn't want to work out at all - tired, sore, and cranky. Took out frustrations in an hour of hard cardio, 600 cals burned
2) Drink 64 oz. water daily --
Monday -- Only about half of that so far. Will get one more glass before bed!
Tuesday -- Got to 48
Wednesday -- 68 woooo!
3) Keep under 1500 cals every day -- 1389, 1033 WHOO, 1130
4) No boxed foods for lunch! -- Leftovers, Leftovers!, Leftovers
5) Go to bed at a decent hour (by 11:00) and get my 8 hours sleep
Monday --This will definitely happen, I am bone-tired.
Tuesday -- Have to get up crazy early tomorrow: Hitting the sack at 10:00
Wednesday -- I woke up a couple times during the night, but I think I managed.
6) Don't step on the scale until Friday --
Monday morning --successfully avoided,
Tuesday morning -- She tempted me, but I held firm!
Wednesday morning -- Nope!
Thursday morning --Made an executive decision to weigh today, because tomorrow I will be out the door v. early, and I like to weigh first-thing in the morning before I've eaten. Might not have time Friday. Good news -- Lost .8 pounds since Monday, perhaps there is a crack in the plateau!

Non-weight goals:
6) Don't fret about doc's appointment on Friday --
Monday -- Haven't thought about it
Tuesday -- Had to call and confirm time change, worried over lunch break.
Wednesday -- Too busy to worry!

7) Finish corrections on my book by Friday so publisher will not have a cow.
Monday -- Started, about 1/5 done.
Tuesday -- About halfway done!
Wednesday -- No progress. Other things cropped up at work and was away from desk all day.

8) Clean the guest bathroom!!! --
Monday-- Ugh, when my back is not in pain!
Tuesday-- This will likely end up happening Thursday evening
Wednesday -- Thursday afternoon, that puppy is mine!

~Terri

Last edited by taubele; 02-24-2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Health and Fitness:
1) -2100 cals for the week -349, -544, -284
2) workout 3 days yes no yes
3) no cereal for the week none, no, not a bite
4) Avg a gallon of water/ day 140oz.,120oz., 126.9oz.
5) Take Daily Vitamin... DAILY yes, yes, yes
6) Take Fish Oil daily yep, yes, yes
7) Avg 145g Protein (or more) per day yes 202.2g, 165.7g, 159.1g
8) Avg 26% or lower fat for the week 21%, 30%, 19%

**The next two I will only attempt once this week so I will not update until I attempt**
9) Bench Press 275#'s (shooting for my body weight +~100#)
10) Dead Lift 310#'s HELL YEAH!

Other:
1) Change the brakes on my car not yet, this weekend
2) hound Almeeker daily until she registers for the race just a little, sort of,no
Old 02-24-2011, 03:11 AM
FitDay Member

weight:
~ food wise stick with my plan M No, T yes 83%, W 83%
~ log all foods i've eaten M no, T yes, W yes
~ do cardio 6 days yes 1, 2, 3
~ do strength training 6 days, yes 1,
~ get 90 oz of water in M yes, T yes, W yes
~ continue to not emotionally eat. be real with what i'm feeling at the moment & talk to someone, write it down, come here & vent, but don't stuff my feelings down with food.M yes, T yes, W yes
~ be honest to myself when weighing myself .M yes, T yes, W yes

non weight goals:
~ put effort in every day in what i'm wearing & how i look.M yes, T yes, W yes
~ get back to my routine in organizing my house. not yet
Old 02-24-2011, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

mambogirl ~ 2 & 1/2 weeks until competition you must be getting excited. good news is all that practicing you can add to you activity log . wish i could be there to cheer you on. i've been practicing a lot too lately perform our bollywood dance on mar 5th.

ruby ~ love your goal of thinking positive thoughts every day.

jess ~ i would say you not getting sick means your body is pretty healthy which is a good sign.

muna ~ don't feel embarrassed about the gain. i'm also up a pound this week you are very right weaning the baby means you are not burning as much so that could be why the gain. i'm sure you'll get the right numbers of calories vs calories out. sounds like a frustrating day for you guys dealing with the car.

almkeeper ~ those potlucks can be killers...lol.

well i got on the scale today ~sigh~ & it said i was up one pound ~blah~ i know why i'm up. yesterday i had hot & sour soup for lunch calorie wise it is okay, BUT the sodium is very high. the day before i had another asian noodle type soup again loaded in sodium ~sigh~ i LOVE asian soups ~sigh~ & when i'm not feeling well they are my go to food. i had the soup to help sooth my throat, but i'm paying for it with water retention...lol. today lots & LOTS of fish & watch my sodium. later tonight it's bollywood dance. i have to vent there is this one girl that just gets on my last nerve & i know part of it is that i let her. she's taking both the bollywood class & my intermediate bellydance class ~sigh~ i find her just a snot...lol. she only talks to people that have been dancing longer than her. that means she doesn't talk to me or any of the other more Jr. dancers. like she won't even say hi to us. it drives me batty & now i have to learn this bollywood dance with her cause she's preforming with us on March 5th oh fun oh joy. maybe i should just picture her dancing in her underwear...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.