Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 1/24 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 1/24

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 1/24

Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mern
Muna and Mike, big hug to both of you. I hope your troubles are resolved soon.

Friday's achievements:

Food
Calories limit 1600, actual 1608
Net Carbs (carbs less fiber) limit 25, actual 19.8
Protein target at least 100-120, actual 154.6

Exercise target (working on walking stamina) goal 10 minutes at 4MPH achieved

Water goal at least 40 oz.--achieved several ounces past that.
Mern, thanks. I hate posting up other websites here but have you checked out mapmyrun.com? It's a great way to map and track routes (sure beats driving around to figure out how far you went), it'll calculate your MPH based on your time and keeps a running total of your progress on a calendar.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone,
For some reason, I can't get to the forums. I can do all kind of features but get here. Finally, I use another browser. And Here I am.
I didn't do very well the last 2 days. I kind of fall of the wagon again. It's seem like this is my pattern. I am good for 1 and 1/2 week to 2 weeks then I fall out.
I also feel like I am tired of my cooking. I am bored with my food.
Any advices? I appreciated.
Mai
Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, I hope you feel better.
Mai
Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Friday check-in.

1.) Maintain calories at 1200 - 1500: 1334, umm...1762 a little over, 1422, 1225 - yippee, 1397
2.) Maintain carbs @ 40%, 23%, 46%. 36%, 43%, 35%
3.) Maintain protein @ 90g 143g (over board again!), 110g 72g, 80.3, 82g
4.) Yoga 2 times: YES 1 down,but the Wed noon class is being suspended for a while - bummer, love the teacher and the time works well with other activities, 2 down
5.) Crossfit 2 times: YES one down, great workout, 2 down
6.) At least 1 long run Sundaycoming up

DID finish the pruning
DID NOT get the contract and payroll issue for my technician figured out - top of the list Monday, because it is her emploment we're messing with!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Well, today I think I overate at the church potluck dinner but at least I only ate half my restaurant lunch, AND I ran 6 miles and am not even tired/sore!

I checked my blood pressure the other day and it was 108/64 and my pulse was 48 bpm. Woohoo for good health!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Friday Report Card:

since I lived on the farm, but somehow my eating habits/philosophy never really have. I have this fundamentally ingrained feeling that if I don't eat enough I won't make it through what's coming next. I also think my upbringing helped to feed an inherent tendency towards carbaholism. I do ever.
Almeeker, I can't stop eating either. A lot of my second-generation Korean-American friends have the same problem. My parents were the "war children" and faced starvation and food insecurity during their childhood years. My parents still binge and feast on food and eat up everything in sight, but they are like snakes--they go to a buffet and pig out but eat nothing else for 2 days, and then go to another buffet! Unfortunately, I just keep eating.

Growing up in the richness of the US, my mom filled the house with food and jammed every corner of the house with food. She bought extra freezers and fridges and filled them all and stocked up needlessly and things would get freezer burn or expire or spoil or get forgotten. The food waste drove me crazy and to this day it pains me to waste food. I am always trying to clean everyone's plates. I even eat garnishes.

She said when the house was filled with food she felt "SO RICH!" Korean parents and grandparents always cook 6x as much food as necessary and keep filling your plate with huge portions and when we were children they would say we were beautiful because we ate a lot. They used to goad us children on to be competitive as to who could eat more. She also didn't cook and loved the novelty of American processed, packaged, brand name food so I was literally force fed hotdogs, Tang, chips, frozen TV dinners, nachos, SPAM, Dunkin Donuts, Pizza Hut, every fast food you could name. My dad would be 3 dozen donuts at a time and we weren't allowed to leave the table unless we each ate at least 3.

My sister was always deathly thin and I was pretty skinny until I got to high school and the calories caught up to me. I did start eating healthily as soon as I could cook for myself, but the sheer numbers of calories never stopped. I always ate until my stomach hurt.

Then I went to college and lived in the dorms and kept on eating until my stomach hurt, kept on gaining more and more weight. In graduate school I was so stressed out and my office was across the street from 24-hour Burger King!

Over the years since I have slowly lost and gained weight but mostly lost weight. Last spring I started training for a half marathon and I finally got my weight around/under 120! I loved the feeling of losing and finally winning over myself and I wanted to keep going to 115 but I think at this time and season I can't get myself to consistently keep my calories down. In any case, I feel healthy, I'm a nice size 2-4, I can run and am feeling strong!

Sorry for such a long response, but I understand growing up with lots of eating and having a hard time stopping. My husband (not Asian) will chastise me for my food issues and criticizes me for imparting them to my daughter, but when he gets together with my parents he understands a little more.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

I think you both did an excellent job, almeeker and rubypeanut, looking into how where you are now is reflective of the roots of how food was treated earlier in your lives. Not to say that anyone is to blame, but somehow attitudes and patterns about food and eating really stick with you. I also think that it's something that just about everybody has to understand before they can really make a permanent change. It's kind of like telling your story when you first show up to an AA or NA meeting, I guess.

Checking in for the past two days:

1. 250 cal deficit daily (till that last holiday pound disappears) Yes, No, Not even close!, Yes No idea but I'm sure not, Yes
2. Balance the pie chart Yes, Yes, Ha!, Yes No idea but doubt it No-tough on my "meatless" day of the week
3. 2-3 blue bottles of water daily Yes, Yes, I did do this one, Working the last down now; will be up tonight, I'm sure! Yes, Yes
4. Sleep at least 7 hours per night No, No, No, No, No, No
5. Floss Yes, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes

6. One organizational task in home office daily Yes, Yes, I looked at some stuff, Yes, Yes, Yes
7. One room of trim painted sometime this week Not yet-probably weekend
8. Try one new recipe or make over an old one - healthier Not yet, Picked it out No Yes!

Also, I did my BIG FAT NAGGING TASK! I now have 12 boxes and two bags of baby clothes for the collection truck on Monday. I did well till I went through the last box...then I broke down. Wow, time flies and they grow up so fast . I know that's why I've been putting it off for so long.

Well, yesterday was tough, with the dinner function we attended. It was very nice but there were things I couldn't avoid and things I couldn't calculate, such as the dressing already on the salad, sauce on the meat, no idea of ingredients, etc. So, it was an evening to enjoy and then leave in the past. I haven't felt that well today; not used to the rich food, natural consequences, and all that . But it's made me eat really clean today, so that's a plus.

Mike, hope you are on the mend by now. I feel for ya, man
Muna, also sorry to hear about your challenges. One day at a time, one hour, sometimes, is all you can do. Hang in there.
Mai, some threads in the Food section have recipe discussions...maybe some of those will spark something for you.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 PM
FitDay Member

Extra Vacation Motivation Needed

My Goals for Jan 29th to Feb 4th --1st day report; Knowing I was going to journal kept me from eating the 2 extra slices of pizza, and other temptations

Do my fitday entries each day, food and activity Y

Exercise 5 out of the 7 days (at least 7 hours for the week) N

Eat healthy foods Stay below 2000 calories average. My usual is 1500 :1902,

however my goal for this week is maintenance. A loss would be a pleasant surprise.

Drink 60 oz of water daily; y

Limit alcohol consumption to 3 evenings of holidays. none,

I find it hardest to eat right while on holidays. I'm hoping making these plans will assit me in not gaining next week.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:46 PM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone!!!

My goals for this week

Calories - 1500
Workout - 3-5 times this week
AND NO WHITE BREAD !!!! Dang it is like a drug, cant eat nothing w/o bread wish me luck
Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

Mai, I'm new, too, but I believe "forums" and "discussion boards" are the same thing. Others please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike, hope you're feeling better today. Thanks for the link. I checked it out and joined Map My Run at the free membership level. I'll have to play around to familiarize myself with how to navigate on it. Right now I do the Walk Away the Pounds for Abs DVD (by Leslie Sansone) in my living room, but as I build up my stamina I'll be doing more. Planning on joining the Y in July under the Sliver Sneakers Program covered by Medicare Advantage health insurance for those 65 and over. So I suspect Map My Run would come in handy then.

Rubypeanut, great job at the restaurant lunch, run, and blood pressure! You sound fairly well experienced, but remember to take it just one day at a time. Don't concentrate on your low achievement days, but on your successes.

I have to share the computer with my husband, so don't have time to read all the posts. Congrats to all those doing well, and big cyberhugs to those struggling with fitness or life issues.

Saturday's achievements for me:

Food:
Calorie limit 1600, actual 1192 (I prefer to not go under 1200-that was close)
Net Carb limit (carb grams less fiber grams) 25g, actual 22g
Protein goal 100-120g, actual 106.6g

Exercise goal 10 minutes walking at 4MPH achieved

Water goal of 40 ounces achieved. Planning on upping goal that Monday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.