Notices

Any other SAHM's?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Any other SAHM's?

Just wondering... Maybe we can join forces. I have 3 boys, ages 8, 2, and 11 months. I have a complicated history of pregnancy and weight gain, and all of my weight corresponds to having children. I lost it all after my oldest was born, but I gained first, and he was a year old before I started losing. I kept it off until my 2 year old came around and then still had all the extra weight when I became pregnant with my youngest. For whatever reason I seem to gain even after they are born. I'm finally ready to work to shed the extra pounds, but even though I know I will be able to maintain it again once I get there, I can't get over how many pounds I have to lose. Ugh! I usually eat a lot of healthy foods, but I tack a lot of sugar on to that. I think/hope tracking and graphs will really help to keep me motivated.

Anyone else? I joined this site a while back, but I became busy and stopped checking in. Maybe if I make some friends on here I will make sure I keep coming back. LOL.

Do any other SAHM's use food as your only treat? I some times feel like I just need something for myself, and that's when I head to the kitchen. Any better ideas for rewards/personal treats? (I have no money!)

Thanks for reading,
Sarah

Old 10-27-2010, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

I feel you.. I'm a SAHM right now, and I sometimes find that I just get so bored I wander off into the kitchen. My daughter is 4, and when I was pregnant with her, I gained a whopping 70lbs. It took me about a year after having her to get any kind of motivation to lose any weight. I'd start and stop. Lose a few pounds, and stop my dieting and hover at that weight until I decided to actively start trying to lose weight again. This has been a repeating process over the last 3 years. I weighed around 225 when I was checked into the hospital, and I've slowly whittled away about 40lbs, weighing in at 184 right now.

I'd really like to make this the last push, and get the weigh off once and for all!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a full time mom to my own 3, plus part time to another 3 that I watch. I can't blame any of my weight on the kids, I was a chub before children, and even my heaviest pregnancy gain was only 30 pounds. I've done well enough so far, but this last 30 pounds is really coming off slowly.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

I am home two days a week with my daughter and work the other three outside the home. In the past like Strivetobe said, I would wander in the kitchen when she is napping and not make the healthiest food choices. I was the heaviest I ever was when I got pregnant with her and gained 40 pounds while pregnant. Luckily the weight melted off when I started breastfeeding. But being lazy this summer put some more weight on. So I started at 153 here in August and am 144 now with a lot of hard work. I fail it seems on a weekly/bi-weekly basis but I get back at it the next day and try twice as hard to make up for my shortcomings. The one thing that has helped me is to always stay busy when I am home with her...run errands, go for long walks and play at the park. This has helped keep my mind off food and stay focused on being healthy myself.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 AM
FitDay Member

There are a lot of things you can do as a treat for yourself. Starbucks has those Skinny Vanilla Lattes that are only 90 calories for the smallest one. So sometimes when I am out, even stoping to get one of those every once in a while makes me happy. Or maybe for every pound you lose, you can put a dollar aside and collect cash for a nice manicure/pedicure or even just $20 bucks to go out for a quick bite to eat with the hubby.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Ann, we are struggling financially right now, so honestly I don't even have a dollar to save, but I'm sure I can think of something.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe a hot bath with the promise of no interruptions, check a good book out of the library, guilty pleasure TV, or have hubby give you a massage?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

Those are some great ideas Cassie
Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

I LOVE homemade spa day!!! When life allows I like to take a long soak in the tub on Sunday afternoons. Then after do a little work on the feet and hands.

I have a couple of great friends and every once in a blue moon we get together and "trade". One of them is a massage therapist, I'm pretty fair with polish, and another friend is really good with hair color. It's a very nice arrangement.