Notices

New here

Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 PM
FitDay Member

Smile New here

Hi everyone...

I'm just starting out here with Fit Day. Since today is more or less over with, I am officially starting my new journey tomorrow morning. I'm working with a weight loss physician and my goal is to loose approximately 75 lbs. I know I can do it, I just need to start making smarter choices.

Just to complicate matters, I am scheduled to have a total knee replacement on November 12th. But, I know I can work through everything that is coming my way.

I'm in the Milwaukee, WI area, so if there is anyone around my neck of the woods, I'd love to hear from you.

Chris
Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM
FitDay Member

Hi and welcome to the forums!

There are several threads you may want to post in... one is called 14 weeks til Christmas.. it has several of us trying to either lose 20 - 30 lbs before Christmas ( we started several weeks ago) but it is good for a short term goal.. the other ( best ) thread going on here ( in my opinion ) is called October ovations.. it is mostly women who are trying to lose 100 or more ( and some less) that are at differernt stages of their journeys. It is a great thread for motivation, encouragement and when needed, some butt kicking.

Check it out. You also might find a better thread for you... my point is, the best help you will find is to join an existing thread, get to know the posters and then you can all help and encourage each other.

Good luck in your journey!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hi!

I know several people who have had knee or hip replacements, and they are all (except one) glad they did it. Most of them put it off long enough that they are actually in LESS pain after the surgery than before! The one who isn't happy had complications from her surgery, but she's the only one I ever heard of who did, so the odds are definitely in your favor.

I have a suggestion for you for after the knee replacement. Since standing to cook will be difficult for a while, you might ask your doctor about the Atkins weight-loss shakes. They don't have all the sugar that most of the weight-loss drinks have and I find them helpful, because I am trying to get my weight under control so I don't develop diabetes. My doctor has been scolding me again! The main disadvantage I find with them is that it's hard to teach my picky-eater kids good eating habits. You could keep the shakes on hand for when you don't want to cook. I have also discovered that the old diet mainstay, cottage cheese, has LOTS of protein and almost no carbs, which is exactly what I need.

Good luck!

Oh--one important hint--post your weight every day you can, unless you aren't home with your scale. You don't have to make it public, but I have found that if I don't post my weight every day (and usually it's when I gain back a pound or two that I don't want to), things rapidly go from bad to worse. I have to face it and look at the graph, and that usually helps me get my act together.