Community
Notices

Compliments

Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Yup, same here. You take off a couple hundred pounds in a year and a half and everyone thinks you've stumbled onto some magic formula.

I tell them "sorry, but all I do is eat less, move more and log it all in FitDay." It's most always a big let down.

Regards,
Michael
People want to press the easy button. It doesn't exist.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

Definitely no easy button! I usually hear back that they really should do something too, but they don't. Next time you see them they are talking about all the food they just ate or are going to eat.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
FitDay Member

My highest, non-pregnancy weight was 168. 140 was what I weighed when I joined fitday. Currently, I'm 5'5" and weigh 118. As you can see by my signature, I've maintained my weight loss now for almost a year and a half. Sadly, when I first reached my goal, the compliments were frequent. Now, a year and a half later, there are very few. After a while, people get used to the "new" you and almost wait for you to put the weight back on. (...or push unhealthy foods at you to see if they can make you slip. )

After the compliments and the encouragement end, it does get a little tough to stay focused. But, that's all right. After all, I changed my lifestyle for me, my health and to set a good example for my kids. After a while, when the interest in the "new you" ends, that's when you really have to dig deep, stand in front of the mirror and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. It's almost as hard, maybe harder, than losing the weight in the first place. Does that make sense?

Most of the compliments now come in the form of how dedicated we are to fitness. I'll take it!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

Someone told me today I looked a lot skinnier, but I've only dropped 10 lbs (it was 15, no idea what happened there, the scale disappointed me today). But I have been thinking, what DOES happen when you reach your goal? where do you go from there?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

It's sorta like a new haircut. If I let mine get too long or change styles everyone comments about the new cut. If I keep it looking good nobody comments! I guess that's why we need to do things for ourselves - not for the feedback even though it feels good. We can always come here for positive reinforcement. I expect to be here for a long time. Well I'm off to get a hot new haircut. I'm a bit shaggy so I should get some comments! LOL Mary
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by azazelsfyre
Someone told me today I looked a lot skinnier, but I've only dropped 10 lbs (it was 15, no idea what happened there, the scale disappointed me today). But I have been thinking, what DOES happen when you reach your goal? where do you go from there?
Only 10 pounds? A 10 pound loss is great!

When I reached my goal (jean size) I started playing. With my food and workouts!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
FitDay Member

So, I've now lost 44# and I've been getting alot of compliments lately.
Except from my husband!

I ordered some new clothes and tried them on last night. A pair of jeans size 10 (and they're a little big! ) Anyway, my hubby said I'm too skinny, almost anorexic. Seriously!?

grrr
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 AM
FitDay Member

Not to get off topic but ZoeDuc..is it possible that your hubby feels a little insecure. There are very many stories of women losing weight, gaining self-confidence and then leaving their husband. Mine even kind of jokes about it now and again that when I am thin I will leave him for someone better looking.

I am sure that your looks are changing dramatically. You are much less than me but we have lost about the same and I know how I see my changes so yours have to be like double what mine are! Keep up the good work and maybe reassure him that you are doing this for you to have a healthier life together not apart.

Last edited by wildbeanerz; 07-20-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: added something
Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Ok, last night something so funny happened. I was meeting a friend for dinner and he had not arrived yet. A guy had opened the door to the restaurant for me and we walked in together. The hostess asked him if he wanted the bar side or the restaurant side. He said bar side. She said "And for 2?" He said "No, one, but she can join me if she wants" and he was looking at me!! Then, my friend gets there and I had not seen him for a year. He could not stop staring at me and said he had never seen me look this good. We have known each other for 11 years. And this after 27 pounds gone. I can't wait to see what happens at 50, 75 and 100!! I might actually start dating!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

Cool. Positive attention feels so good. I wish we could bottle it! Mary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.