FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Have any hobbies? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/2786-have-any-hobbies.html)

heyaim 12-30-2010 11:55 PM

Have any hobbies?

I'm not big on hobbies...mostly because they can get so expensive! But we do make a few exceptions! We love snow skiing, camping, swimming and hiking! I guess we just love being outside!

What kind of hobbies to you all have?

almeeker 12-31-2010 12:44 AM

A friend of mine once said to me, "I hope you live long enough to finish all your projects". And I turned to her in horror, there is no way I want to live that long! I enjoy sewing, leather carving, drawing, writing, knitting, hiking/walking/jogging, swimming, cooking, skating, jewelry making etc etc etc. Really anything crafty is probably up my alley. We also ski and camp, but that's because the hubs loves those things more than I do. I might enjoy skiing more if I had learned when I was younger and if I didn't have such bad knees.

01gt4.6 12-31-2010 02:30 AM

cooking
photography
weight lifting
drag racing

sw07 12-31-2010 04:54 AM

Currently it's running, but that's turning into an obsession.....
Other interests:
Fishing, primarily fresh water, stripers,bass,salmon,steelhead, trout
Cars, I've been working on my 73 Camaro and I also have 55 chevy truck that needs to be gone thru.
Metal fabrication / metal sculptures
Golf, it's been a while, never seem to have the time..
Biking, some off road trail riding. I've been looking at road bikes- I wanna go faster:) Been looking at this one at a local dealer: 2010 Fuji Newest 2.0 Road Bike : Bike Deals From Performance Bike
Kayaking, gonna try to buy one this year- renting can get expensive.

That's all I can think of right now...

mecompco 01-01-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 29907)
cooking
photography
weight lifting
drag racing

So, Mike, do you race? If my PowerBall tickets ever win I would love to build a bracket race car.

Here's a pic of me leaving the line in my '83 Bronco at the "Show, Shine and Drag" a few years back. Ran 10 seconds in the 1/8th on 35" mud tires :D

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rag_Racing.jpg

I've been into Jeeps for the last few years--here's a pic of me up around the Rangeley Lakes area:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...utofStream.jpg

I've also gotten into blacksmithing/knife making in the last year or so. I just seem to get drawn into expensive hobbies!

Regards,
Michael

Built 01-01-2011 11:52 AM

I enjoy reading (almost anything), arts & crafts, crossword & sudoku puzzles, weight lifting, learning about human health and fitness, hanging out with loved ones, organizing stuff (yeah, pretty anal), gardening, college and professional football...ending soon:(

canary52 01-01-2011 01:20 PM

reading, writing, gym, singing, dancing (not well though), painting, learning languages, walking, traveling, snorkling, cooking, baking, admiring buildings and bridges, bicycling, going to the theatre, concerts, museums and art galleries, studying comparative religion, going on Buddhist or writing retreats, Hindu and Hebrew chanting, taking classes (writing, cooking, religion), staring up at the sky, talking, giving impromptu speeches and stand up comedy.
oh and social activism, ie a group of friends and i saved a big parcel of land from being irresponsibly overdeveloped and got it turned into a nature center.
oh and "long walks on the beach" (had to throw that one in there) playing poker with the boys (i am the only girl but they accept me as an honorary guy since i love telling dirty jokes eating junk food and I often lose big hands) and pinochle with DH and his Dad, game night with semi drunken friends, jokingly arguing with my politically incompatable friends, eating popcorn and junk food at the movies with DH. also going to art house movies and jazz clubs with my "platonic husband" Dave and then arguing religion vs. atheism on the way home.

no crafts though, wish i could; two left hands and i'm a rightie. and my idea of camping is a condo unit on the beach without an onsite restaurant.

01gt4.6 01-01-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 30026)
So, Mike, do you race? If my PowerBall tickets ever win I would love to build a bracket race car.

Here's a pic of me leaving the line in my '83 Bronco at the "Show, Shine and Drag" a few years back. Ran 10 seconds in the 1/8th on 35" mud tires

10's is respectable for that big truck. I love drag racing, I've never been to good at bracketing though. It's too hard to go against a car with "electronics", they usualy run dead on the number.

Here the "01GT4.6"
Street Trim (pretty tame... looks like your typical 13-14 second Mustang)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...144_9712-1.jpg

Play Trim
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...6/100_0617.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i..._1434_0001.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...eelsupcopy.jpg

I've got a ton of videos of it on YouTube. Here's one... it even sounds pretty mild, thanks to a little nitrous, I didn't have to make the motor sound too radical to get it going. I always liked the sleeper affect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXLIZ8vYTE

mecompco 01-01-2011 02:38 PM

Mike, very cool! I don't know a lot about the newer 'Stangs--have always been more into trucks. I bet that's a blast at the strip!

I'm sure the Bronc could do lots better--even with the 4.56 gears I was just going into 3rd (70 mph) at the finish line (shifting manually at around 5500, IIRC, with my ratchet shifter). It's got a 351 bored .30 over stroked .75" (offset ground crank) so is right around 425 c.i.--lots of torque :-) I still have it, but the body is pretty much rotted away due to the road salt here in Maine so it sets in the yard. If I stopped dumping money into the Jeep I could probably find a car to drop the engine into--something to dream about. :)

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 01-01-2011 02:44 PM

yeah it was fun on the street and strip. It was kinda a handful on drag radials with 4.10's, a 5 speed and nitrous... but still fun.:D

Oh... now it's Lamborghini Orange, so must people just think it's a pretty "show" car until they get their feelings hurt. lol

Frenchmaid1969 01-02-2011 01:50 AM

Love baking....oups...

I love baking i guess that not a very good hobbies:rolleyes:.... but beside i love to read if you call that an hobbies :D

BodyForLifeMom 01-02-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by heyaim (Post 29892)
I'm not big on hobbies...mostly because they can get so expensive! But we do make a few exceptions! We love snow skiing, camping, swimming and hiking! I guess we just love being outside!

What kind of hobbies to you all have?

gardening
dog shows/showing (Maltese of course!)
swimming (only in our backyard)
boating
camping
beach (my first love)

Though the latter 3 have become fewer and fewer, mainly due to because I am overweight and don't want to be out in public in a swimsuit. But this year we are changing that!

Albie@round 01-03-2011 08:36 AM

I am an amateur musician. I enjoy challenging myself to learn new songs on guitar, bass and keyboards. I enjoy accompanying other vocalists as well as vocalizing. About once a month I join some friends who have a working band (classic rock, blues, honky tonk and select country tunes) at one of their bar gigs here in the Chicago area and add a little vocal punch to their mix as well as some rhythm guitar, bass and/or percussion......If just for that night, I am a legendary rock star of sorts. Please, indulge me in my delusion!....LOL.....My best to all of you here at FitDay.

quinnesec 01-05-2011 07:42 AM

Here are my favorites-

cooking
hiking/backpacking
snowshoeing
reading
travel
exploring great restaurants (hence the need for fitday) lol
NFL (Go Pack!)

taubele 01-05-2011 08:20 AM

Hobbies I have time for (my job often requires 10-12 hr. workdays :eek: )

Reading (voraciously)
Cross-stitch (counted and not, and learning to make my own patterns)
Computer gaming (much less nowadays)
Amateur photography
Learning how to cook! ( I grew up in a household that got everything out of boxes -- until 2 months ago I did not know how to scramble an egg! )

I also love to fish (and I tend to be very lucky!) but I don't get out to do it much. I used to enjoy hiking before an ankle injury, but I'm hoping to figure out how to get back into it again.

WeightlossBoo 01-05-2011 08:30 AM

I enjoy watching anime, playing computer games (all consoles and esp. Sims 2 on PC) songwriting, listening to music and managing my collections (I like having stuff!)
All pretty inactive hobbies! So glad I actually like going to the gym. :D

cjohnson728 01-05-2011 09:04 AM

Also a voracious reader here, and unlike snacking, you can read as much as you want without consequence (unless you don't get your work done or stay up till all hours!). Also, I love to cook and experiment with healthy new recipes, I play tennis, avidly follow pro tennis, and I'm a beginner runner...just did my first 5K in December. Hiking is another favorite, but not so much now, in winter. That, plus all the mom stuff, keeps me pretty busy.

tandoorichicken 01-05-2011 11:41 AM

I enjoy reading, cooking, playing / composing / arranging music (I played piano for 15 or so years as a kid), and trying to absorb the Internet from my couch.

I also occasionally brew my own beer. I know, oxymoronic for a fitness forum, but I think I actually blow away more stress during the brewing than the drinking. It's kind of like cooking, except with delayed (~3-4 weeks) gratification. :)

Felicity, which animes do you watch / games do you play? Right now I'm only following Naruto Shippuden (I tried to get into the new Ironman one but its way too campy for me) and playing through Mass Effect 1 & 2.

vabeachgirlNYC 01-05-2011 07:56 PM

There are so many "hobbies" I love to do! I won't bore you guys with all of them though! :p

Blading
Dancing
Lifting
Running on the beach with my dogs
Running in the city with my dogs
Traveling
Music
Almost anything physically challenging (I get hurt a lot but the thrill is addicting!)

MollySue2 01-05-2011 09:03 PM

Nice thread! My favourites include:

reading (currently reading Paul Austers's New York Trilogy and D.F. Wallace's Consider the Lobster - love contemporary American literature)
biking
rock-climbing (although haven't done that for a while)
hiking
camping
running
swimming
kayaking (not as often as I would like to - there's just no white water where I live)
backpacking, travelling in general
gardening (though it's more like balkonying right now)
playing the guitar (very unsuccesfully though)

kcolville 01-06-2011 12:02 AM

Loves:

Working out- setting new challenges for myself
Date night with my boyfriend- i like to be spoiled
Baking- i try to make everything healthier than it is
Traveling- this is not just a hobby it is a passion..i wish i could do it more!
Crafts- fixing things around the house, scrapbooking, making things
Being with family :)

WeightlossBoo 01-06-2011 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken (Post 30672)
Felicity, which animes do you watch / games do you play? Right now I'm only following Naruto Shippuden (I tried to get into the new Ironman one but its way too campy for me) and playing through Mass Effect 1 & 2.

I love Naruto! Only following Shippuden myself at the moment, but I like to go back through my collection and re-watch stuff like Chobits, Fruits Basket, NGE, FMA, Inuyasha and others. :)
As for games, well I used to play a lot of Xbox 360... GOW, COD, Guitar Hero mostly. I also LOVE retro gaming, especially old Nintendo classics like Mario and Zelda. Mostly I play Sims 2 on the PC though, or games on my DS.

RockyCapone5 01-06-2011 06:58 AM

-K9 Training with my 3 puppies :)
-cooking
-weightlifting again
-anything watersports
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...5/caralarm.jpg

Fun picture, obviously this is just my beater, and FYI the scratches on the hood and roof never came out.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...5/bitework.jpg

SailorDoom 01-06-2011 07:06 AM

Its fun reading through this thread...

Mine are:
Reading/listening to audiobooks (on the road a lot for work)
Knitting
Sewing/costuming
Cooking/farmers market/politics of food and nutrition
Backcountry camping
Gaming (mostly WoW -- I know, not very active)
Going to concerts (love our local music scene)
Bike riding/repair (just learning the repair part, so liberating!)
Trying new beers
Hiking (I do a lot at work, but its nice to walk around outside for no reason at all)

SailorDoom 01-06-2011 07:08 AM

Ooh! Fun pics Rocky!

vabeachgirlNYC 01-06-2011 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by RockyCapone5 (Post 30835)
-K9 Training with my 3 puppies :)

FYI the scratches on the hood and roof never came out.

One of my passions! And I have a perfect paw print scratch on my car that will never come out! I kinda like it! :D

RockyCapone5 01-06-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 30859)
One of my passions! And I have a perfect paw print scratch on my car that will never come out! I kinda like it! :D

So you can relate to all the bruises, scratches, and teeth marks on the hands, forearms, shoulders, calves, thighs, and now my butt from the newest 5 month old she-devil puppy.:D

vabeachgirlNYC 01-06-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by RockyCapone5 (Post 30865)
So you can relate to all the bruises, scratches, and teeth marks on the hands, forearms, shoulders, calves, thighs, and now my butt from the newest 5 month old she-devil puppy.:D

Yep, I always have a collection. ;) The bite scar on my shoulder is my favorite! :D

farahb7 01-07-2011 04:12 AM

dancing
socializing with friends
chatting online, txting
gaming(mostly puzzle games)
reading
listening to music
walking on the beach

that's all i could think of right now

Rocky i love those pictures!!!!!!!!!!

01gt4.6 01-07-2011 04:32 AM

Rocky, you should do like what's-his-name on Jacka$$ and wear a steak suit and let the dog come at you. That's like killing 2 birds with one stone, training and feeding.

RockyCapone5 01-07-2011 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 31008)
That's like killing 2 birds with one stone, training and feeding.

All our dogs are too trained for that, they won't unless it's ok'd, all I have to do is throw him a ball to have a ball. BUT having A 80lb dog pulling and hanging on you is a great supplemental cardio workout. BTW dig his arms! Sad when your dogs are in WAY better shape than their owner.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...ne5/flying.jpg

Typical Breakfast for my guys: 1 chicken quarter, 1lb of ground beef, a couple eggs, yes all raw.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/.../breakfast.jpg

tandoorichicken 01-07-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by RockyCapone5 (Post 31012)
Typical Breakfast for my guys: 1 chicken quarter, 1lb of ground beef, a couple eggs, yes all raw.

Sounds like the breakfast of champions to me :D

rainbow24 01-07-2011 10:31 AM

I am just discovering who I am. Over the years I have done a number of things.

As a teen I loved to walk and even though I tried to keep it up, 5 kids really slowed me down.
  • I took up cross stitching, but my oldest daughter took all my supplies.
  • I got into gardening, but my second daughter took over.
  • I got into digital scrapbooking, but my kids got old enough to get upset when I used pictures of them
  • I like camping, but my kids go without me
I have finally settled on two interests that my kids let me do.
  1. Awana - which is an organization that offers children's ministry for churches
  2. JAFF - Jane Austen FanFiction - Besides reading all there is to offer, I have written several myself.

Alicia06 01-08-2011 03:45 PM

When I was in High School I did ballroom dancing, singing in the school choir and cooking...

well i've married a man who doesn't dance (and after being out of HS for over 6 year now "wow time goes by so fast" I probly wouldn't be very good :( )

So now my hobbies include Rock Band 2 :D, Reading- I joined goodreads.com and set a goal to read 200 books this year which i kind of hope to by pass drastically but only time will really tell, Crocheting- picked this up when i was on bed rest during my pregnancy and just gave my dad and step mom a blanket that took me a year to finish!:eek: and of course playing with my son as much as possible! Joined my church choir as i miss singing and this also helps me to stay active in church as i just started going back (yup im in utah and LDS :D )

~alicia

Bluedog72 01-10-2011 01:02 AM

Hanging out with my blue heeler 'Tiger'.

Reading....fantasy adventure mostly, a bit of sci-fi every so often and a whole bunch of war stories.

Gaming.....sims mostly, not 'The Sims' actual simulators. Nerdy, warry stuff, online co-op Armed Assault II, flight sims......anything where you get to virtually blow sh*t up :) The more 'fiddly' and 'real' (read 'nerdy and overly complex') the better.

Weight training.....HTFU, 'nuff said. If the bar aint bendin', you're only pretendin'

Grappling /ground fighting / MMA .....nothin' like a cage to clear the mind of any delusions of grandeur ;)

Cheap and nasty RC Helicopters. Great fun, will graduate to not-so-cheap ones sooner or later, but for now I'm doin' just fine crashing these ones thanks.

Reading every post on fitness web site forums :)

BD

TeamEdwardJen 01-10-2011 06:40 AM

I enjoy reading im a little book worm and singing