Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
7 Day Motivational Thread 3/25/13 >

7 Day Motivational Thread 3/25/13

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread 3/25/13

Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

1. Keep calories below 1300. 1200 is better, but often backfires in the evening. 1183, 1185, 1199, 1174, 1352 whoopsie
2. Make the time to get some exercise. Being busy is NOT an excuse. 6 days of workouts this week. Yes Only one so far...Nope...time will not make itself; get it together!
3. Take vitamins and supplements. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Stay on top of work; falling behind makes it hard to catch up. I'll give myself a B, Pretty good today, Meh, Fair, Fair...did administrative stuff mostly
5. Sleep. Enough. Not last night, no, Pretty good, Nope, Fair/Good, Fair

Great to see everyone on the weekend . Hope you all are enjoying it.

Donna, I think flexibility is key. Some weeks you just have to adjust. Good for you for not going way overboard.

Robin, hope you have time to enjoy most of the weekend. Being self-employed has its pros and cons, doesn't it? But I wouldn't trade it. Congrats on your walking...you are ahead of the game this week!

Jenn, you will be able to be back on track very soon. Remember, showing up is half the battle .

Hope, so good to see you. I think I must have missed something; what had you feeling so bad this week, another flare?

Carolynnq, I agree, plateaus do suck. I look at them as a stubborn child, just trying to get you to give in first. I wouldn't do it with my child, and I won't do it with a stupid plateau, so I just keep plugging on and eventually it caves. In a perfect world, that is! I hope yours ends soon.

Sissy, captainelle, welcome; good to have you here!

Ann, I'm so glad you feel good in your two-piece! Confidence is more than half the battle. Enjoy it!

Mike, I love the cause the restaurant is supporting. I've been doing juvenile court work since 1997 and the kids are getting younger and younger. Prevention is definitely a huge factor. It is hardest to watch them not be able to get it together enough by 17 that they make the transition from the juvenile system to the adult one, which is a whole different world . Good work.

Sorry if I missed anyone! Tori, Mern, would love to see you soon! Hope you are doing well.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

As I was making squash soup for lunch today it made me think about a conversation I had last night with a couple of women. They both live pay check to pay check and were complaining how it costs more money to eat healthy.
I help my Mom grocery shop. I don't know whether that is true or not because I've never costed it out. Has anyone else had to respond to someone who says that.

Ok and here is my rant
These same people go to their local coffee shop and get a coffee everyday. Never realizing that that $10 could pay for a couple of packages of meat or a bag or fruit (a few apples and oranges etc).

Jenn
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jjrudd
As I was making squash soup for lunch today it made me think about a conversation I had last night with a couple of women. They both live pay check to pay check and were complaining how it costs more money to eat healthy.
I help my Mom grocery shop. I don't know whether that is true or not because I've never costed it out. Has anyone else had to respond to someone who says that.
I'd say, 'Well it sure is a lot cheaper than being sick.' Of course many people don't associate conditions like obesity, and crappy eating with disease.

When costing it out, I think it would depend on what is meant by 'eat healthy.' A couple of apples are less than a bag of chips, but you get a lot more chips. A cereal full of sugar is generally cheaper than one with only a few grams. A McBurger is cheaper than a hunk of good chuck, but maybe not by the pound. And they'd have to cook the chuck. And some people would consider eating even grass raised chuck to be unhealthy.

Ok and here is my rant
These same people go to their local coffee shop and get a coffee everyday. Never realizing that that $10 could pay for a couple of packages of meat or a bag or fruit (a few apples and oranges etc).

Jenn
Yeah, I know. And they know it too, but don't want to admit it, even to themselves.

- Donna
Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 AM
FitDay Member

Track food - yes, yes, yes, yes, late but yes
Keep within desired calorie range - yes, a little too high, yes, yes,yes
Get back on track! - yes, so far....yep

Crazy, crazy week and it will continue through next week. Hanging on....
Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

...Ok and here is my rant

Jenn
I agree. I don't think it costs more to eat healthy. A study a couple of years ago came to that conclusion, but it had major flaws.

It's mostly processed foods that cost a lot of money. You can buy a bag of potato chips for $4 or a 10# bag of potatoes for $4. You can buy 4 $1 hamburgers at a fast food place, or a pound of hamburger and some pasta for that money. You can spend $4 on a 30-serving carton of oatmeal, or $6 on a 12-serving box of sugared, processed cereal. Fresh produce can be expensive, but not so much if you buy what's in season and on sale. There are generally lots of inexpensive frozen & canned options. Whole wheat bread costs more than white, but it's more nutrient dense and you get filled up with less. Etc., etc.

There are people who don't have access to a supermarket with lots of choices and good sales. They have limited choices and the prices are high. IMO, these are the only people for whom it costs more to eat healthy.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Here's my soapbox: it's cheaper to cook it from scratch (and better for you) than to buy it processed. Takes planning, though.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

Totally agree, cooking from scratch is more work and healthier (and cheaper)!

Had a painful massage today. The massage therapist thinks I have a torn ligament in my lower back. Got one of those knee pillows today and a hot water bottle. Don't think I'll be running too soon! Plan to walk tomorrow before cooking dinner.

Happy Easter everyone.

Last edited by Robingen; 03-30-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:57 PM
FitDay Member

Robin - OUCH!! Sorry about your back. What do you do for a torn ligament? That's great that your husband has lost weight with his broken leg - I would have imagined that having a broken leg might lead to a weight gain.

***For me it truly comes down to making time for myself.*** I have to learn to do that. I realized recently that the only times I've had losses of 3-5 lbs a week is when I'm on vacation. It's hard for me to sit and relax, so on vacation, I use the gym if we're at a hotel, walk a lot, swim, etc. I have a home business, so at home if I think about going for a walk, I can think of a million other things that I should be doing.

Jenn - It's wonderful that your friends are supporting you by serving healthful treats.

Cassie - your 1352 calories is barely a "whoopsie" - especially with your calorie count being so much lower on other days.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carolynnq
Cassie - your 1352 calories is barely a "whoopsie" - especially with your calorie count being so much lower on other days.
Hmm, maybe not; I guess a whoopsie is a little slip to me. But today is a...well, whatever term you want to use for a bigger slip .

I can definitely relate to the rest of your post. About 3 years ago my work really slowed down and I had so much time to do things the right way. Once things got busy again about a year, year and a half ago, it definitely hasn't been the same. But I keep trying to juggle all the plates; I just need to rearrange their order. Thanks for the reminder your post provided.

Robin, I hope you heal up quickly . Hope you can take it easy for a bit.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 AM
FitDay Member

You guys are inspiring me.

Cassie, good for you for eating clean, so glad you feel the benefits. And I agree with Carolynn 1352 is hardly a "whoopsie." As for me, thanks for asking. I decided to have Passover at my father in law's so he and my DD could be there and it was great seeing them and she brought two friends who loved it. But it was stressful preparing and I took too much work on cooking and cleaning. I was unable to walk for a couple of days, due to standing too much and I just fell into a funk. My father in law is losing his vision and needs a lot of care and though he is a loving person, he is very intense and gets frustrated very easliy. DH had a hellacious week at work and was also intense and I guess it all just got to me. I ate too much, wrote too little. But once I could take walks and started going to the beach, things got better. The ocean is very healing. Looking at the sky and the birds pulled me out of myself, got me back into the world.

Jenn, I'm with you on the water, girl. I feel better when I drink more. And I lose more weight. Maybe we can encourage each other in the coming week.

Robin, I am so so sorry about your back. It sounds painful. Is there anything that can be done? I admire your desire to walk. Please just don't overdo. Let yourself heal. Can you do stretches? I find that helps my back. I think it's great your husband lost weight, even with the accident.

Donna, I agree with Casise. Things flucuate; just keep on the good track as much as you can.

Mike, a good cause and hopefully a good meal. Win win, I'd say. How did you find out about it? You and GF are doing great. I am def losing this contest (by not losing.) BTW we took Stanley to the pool, to the beach and to the U. I will send him off Tuesday and he will have further adventures with fun, creative people.

My soapbox? I think people who claim eating healthy costs too much are just making excuses, especially if they can go out and get coffees, etc. And yeah eventually being unhealthy costs more. Plus with my fibro, I no longer cook the way I once did (tho as Mike will tell you, I am spoiled in that Dh is a fabulous cook but I have to watch that too.) Still you can find ways, as others have said, buy local and in season, if you can. Plus a bag of carrots for example doesn't cost as much as chips, lasts longer and is better for you (tho some people limit them on low carb diets but it's just an eample.)

I am hoping this coming week is a better one. I am dedicating myself to clean eating, more water, walks or gym, writing, time with friends and a better attitude.

Last edited by canary52; 03-31-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.